Pioneer vsx-1020 Multi-room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been lookin around for receivers and to be honest my head hurts. I really like the Pioneer vsx-1020, and can get a really good deal on one. However it has to be able to do what I want with zone 2.

I have my loft which is my main media hub for the house. This is where my new flat panel tv is and my new HTPC Also the connection for my house speakers terminate in the loft.

I need the receiver to play my 5.1 surround sound (eventually 7.1) in the loft. I then need the second zone to power my speakers throughout the house. I have 6 speakers total that connect into my ON-Q box in a closet downstairs. From there they merge into 4 wires running to the loft. Can this Pioneer do this with no other amps?

When I look on the back of the receiver I see zone2 and that is the correct connection that I need for my house speakers.

Currently I have 2 separete systems and would like to get it down to 1. Especially now that I have a new HTPC I just finished building.

If this receiver will do what I think it does, I will get it today.

Thanks,

Ken~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Even after looking on Pioneer's website I still can't find my answer I really just need to know if this 1020-k can power both my loft with 5.1 or(7.1 eventually) and still be able to power zone 2 (ceiling speakers) without the need for an extra amp.

Does anyone know? I am half tempted to buy it from BestBuy just to test. Then if it works return and get it from Amazon where its $150 cheaper. Just really don't want to go through all that hassle if I don't have to.

Ken~
post #3 of 24 Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
As with any AVR advertised as 5.1 + 2, it does mean you could use the AVR as you wish (ie. 5.1 - main zone 2.0 - Zone 2). However, as it's only got 7 channels, you wouldn't be able to go to 7.1 in the main zone and keep your Zone 2 without adding an external amp.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 24 Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

can you link me to the "on-q" box? everything i've been able to find on that particular solution indicates to me that the speakers are "powered" by that (not by the avr, i.e. not hooked up to speaker binding posts)... it looks like to me that the "on-q" connects to the avr at line-level, not speaker level...

in which case, yes, you can do what you want to do, since the avr doesn't have to "power" anything... you would hook the zone 2 pre-outs to the on-q...

keep in mind that not all sources will go to the zone pre-outs... all analog ones will... tuner will... ipod dock will... digital sources won't...

see page 30 of the manual "basic multizone setup"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 24 Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

The On-Q box does not power the speakers. At least I can't see how it would.

Basically I have 2 speakers in my Grand Room, 2 speakers in the kitchen, and 2 in the loft upstairs. The on-q box is under my stairs and that is where all speakers terminate (6 wires total) From there it runs up to my loft and only has 4 wires coming out of the wall. ( I am guessing this means 2 sets of speakers are in MONO?) I put a wall plate on the wall to hold the 4 wires, as the builder just left them hanging I then take those 4 wires and plug them into a really old pioneer receiver that will power them. On the Pioneer I just plug them into the left and right channel. Then from the receiver I take RCA cables that split to headphone on one side and plug that into my HTPC. This allows music to play throughout the house.

I have a normal ALL-in one surround sound that is used for watching TV in the loft.

The way I read things on the Pioneer 1020 is that zone 1 would be my surround sound when watching TV in the loft, and would power my 5 speakers.

Zone 2 would then connect to my ceiling speakers and be able to power them like my old pioneer unit can.

I really just want to consolidate things and not have to have 2 separate systems. Especially since the old Pioneer has no way to even use a remote to turn it on, or remembers what input was last used. This makes it very hard for my better half to even try to turn the speakers on throughout the house.

Thanks for all the info so far, but man picking out a receiver is hard work

Ken~
post #6 of 24 Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

if you can give us a link to the on-q equipment, maybe we can help...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #7 of 24 Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

I will have to look when I get home if there is a link to it or not. Its a pre-fab home, but everyone in the community has an on-q box. Its where all the cable/Sat TV terminates then splits throughout the house. Telephone is connected here. Also the alarm system gets routed to here.

Basically is supposed to be an all access unit. It's nice and all, but nothing was really labeled so I labeled everything so I know what cable wire is going where.

Ken~
post #8 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

There is no info on my on-q box any where. There is a phone number, but it goes to no one I opened the box to see if I can see if power would be running to any of the speakers, and I don't see how. Its a tiny box with every smashed in there.

Ken~
post #9 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

The OnQ piece is probably just a hub. If you do 7.1 in the main room, then you can connect a 2 channel amp to the zone 2 outputs on the 1020. You need to make sure the OnQ hub has impedance matching or that your volume controls do (if you have them)
post #10 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

After looking at the manual and what others have said about the pioneer 1020, I am not going to use 7.1. I will stick with 5.1, then my Zone 2 will be able to power my over head speakers throughout the house. I don't want to buy an external amp, I would rather the receiver do all the work.

Ken~
post #11 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

we haven't even established yet whether or not "power" is supplied by the avr... so don't "assume" something is going to work the way you want it to...

how about a picture of the on-q unit? even some cell phone pics will do...

hint: if it hasn't got speaker binding posts on it, it's likely not getting "power" from the avr... if it has rca connections, it's taking a line level signal from the avr...

- chris

post #12 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

I will get a picture of the box tonight.

Now I am even more confused. I thought that if a receiver says it can do multi-room (Zone2) then it supplies power to Zone2 as well, is that not the case?

My whole point in buying a new receiver is to combine two separate devices into one. The better half always forgets which unit to turn on for speakers throughout the house, or to watch TV. With one receiver doing everything I can get my harmony to change the correct inputs with just a push of the button.

I have no real way to test if the on-q box is really giving speakers any power. I have just bare speakers wires that hung out of the wall in the loft. I put a plate on the wall with push style opening so it looks nice now. I can't take that speaker wire and plug it into my computer to see if sound comes out, cause its just speaker wire.

That's when I pulled out my old pioneer receiver and plugged the speaker wires into the rear right and left channels. I then took an RCA splitter to micro and plugged it into the back of the old receiver, then the other end to my computer head phone jack, and boom I have music.

What I don't understand is how I have 6 speakers total in the house, but once it connects to the on-q box and gets routed to the loft, I only have 4 speaker wires!!?? I assume that means that 2 rooms downstairs are in MONO? Also each room has its own volume control.

Man AVR stuff is soooo confusing, and Best Buy just confused me more when I talked with them. At least here I am starting to understand more
post #13 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

"zones" can be powered in 2 different ways...

a) from the binding posts of the avr itself (i.e. the avr is providing the "power" for the speakers)...

b) from the zone preouts of the avr (i.e. the pre-outs are fed to a separate amplifier in the subzone to "power" the speakers)...

- chris

post #14 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

That clears things up a little with Zone2, but on the Pioneer 1020 when I look at the manual I see it has "powering" zone 2 with no need for another amp. That's what I want. I want 1 receiver that will do both rooms, without having to buy something else.

If I have to buy another amp for the receiver to play music in zone 2, then I will just live with the setup I have now and save my $$$. I am trying to consolidate equipment and make it easier for the better half to use.

Thanks

Ken~
post #15 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

sure, it will "power" zone 2 at the speaker level, IF you have something to actually connect it to... that's why "we" need to see some pics of the onq stuff, so we can figure out if you can do what you want...

- chris

post #16 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics of what I have:

Pic1 = Is the whole on-q box. It houses our cable, phone, security system, and speakers.

Pic2 = Where all speakers come together, then split into the blue loom and go upstairs to my loft.

Pic3 = The panel I installed to make the wires look better, and a lot easier to manage

Pic4 = Here is what I connect to the panel

Pic5 = Here is how I connect the speakers to my really old receiver

More in next post......

Ken~
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #17 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Pic6 = I then take this RCA cable and plug it into the back of my receiver and the other end to my HTPC headphone port.

Pic7 = Here is what I have all together. On the bottom left is my all in one surround LG that I only use when watching TV/movies. Want this to be replaced with the Pioneer 1020 or equivalent. Next comes my Direct TV box, then my HTPC. Then finally all the way to the right the really old Pioneer that I currently use to have sound from the speakers throughout the house. Again I want that replaced with the Pioneer 1020

Any other pictures that I need to take in order to help more?

Thanks,

Ken~
LL
LL
LL
post #18 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

All that OnQ piece is doing is giving a clean way of hooking up all the wires together. It is not an amp and is not providing any impedance balancing.
http://www.legrand.us/OnQ/Music/Mult...364454-01.aspx

Are there volume controls in the wall where the speakers around the house are?
If not, you need something to balance the impedance and keep it at a safe level for the Pioneer. (speaker selector box or the like). Add that and the Pioneer will work like you want.
post #19 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yes all three rooms that have the over head speakers do have their own volume controls. I use them all the time when we listen to music. I normally keep the loft almost off, as we are never up there listening to music.

Now I have to make sure I still have the green light, and will get the receiver today, unless I find a better deal on another one. There are just WAY too many to choose from, but I think the Pioneer vsx-1020 will fill my needs.

Thanks,

Ken~
post #20 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to make sure the volume controls you have are impedance matching. Pull them off and see if they have a switch or adjustment for 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x. If they are not, then you might be putting to much of a load (2 ohm or worse) on the Pioneer.
post #21 of 24 Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of the volume control. I didn't see any numbers, but letters, not sure what they mean? I don't have any manual on the system

I have been using my old Pioneer setup for 3 years now with no issues. Just want to consolidate things and make it easier for the better half.

Ken~
LL
post #22 of 24 Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

You are good. Some volume controls use numbers, some letters, to set the # of speakers in the system so that the impedance is "balanced".
post #23 of 24 Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent Now I just have to decide between Pioneer and Onkyo and I will be all set Still like the Pioneer, but hearing good things about Onkyo speaker setup being easier.

Ken~
post #24 of 24 Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM

Hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge here. I'm in the process of setting up multi-room speaks throughout my house.

I have a VSX-1020 powering my living room in a 5.1 configuration. This will be my media hub where I have U-Verse, Boxee box, Apple TV, and DVD player all connected via HDMI.

I plan to set up a Zone 2 and connect to a Harman Kardon AVR 335 to power the 3 zones throughout my house. I know that VSX-1020 Zone 2 can only play Analog sources if I want to select a different audio source than my Living room. (iPod, DVD, CD Player, radio, etc.)

QUESTION: Is there any way to get Zone 2 to play the same DIGITAL audio source simultaneously? For example, if I am watch a football game on U-verse, can I get that same audio feed to the rest of the 3 zones?

From the VSX-1020 I will connect to the HK AVR 335 with L & R analog RCA cables. From the HK AVR 335 I have a few different options on how I wire the 3 Zones. This is where I could use your collective expertise.

OPTION 1
The Harman Kardon AVR 335 is a 7.1 surround system - can I just put the receiver in STEREO mode and connect the 3 zones to to the front, rear, and surround channels?

OPTION 2
I have an Advantage Speaker Selector ADV4006 which allows me to set up 6 zones, and 6 Skywalker SKY6013 volume controllers. Should I connect the front channel to the ADV4006 and wire the 3 zones from there?

Appreciate feedback, insight and opinions.

God Bless.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page