5.1 + 3 other rooms + Netflix + Pandora - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting from scratch to put a system in my new place. I have a large budget but would just as soon spend as little as possible. I am not an audiophile. I am a newbie.

My objectives:
  • 55" TV mounted on wall
  • Surround Sound (at least 5.1)
  • Ability to stream Netflix
  • Multi-room (3 rooms + theatre room)
  • Ability to stream Pandora to all 4 rooms

My first inclination was to look for a receiver that could do all of this for me but after reading a bit it seems that the general guidance is to go the other route and buy separate components.

Questions:
  1. What separate components are recommended? Do I need all 3 of these: receiver, amplifier, network-streaming device?
  2. Are there any receivers that can power 3-rooms plus a 5.1 home theatre without an amp or is that just adding unnecesary expense to do it with one component?
  3. Would a networked receiver eliminate the need for a device like WD Live, or is that just limiting my receiver options too much?
  4. Should I buy a HT in a box to save money or is it not that much more to buy individually?
  5. Can you recommend a few receivers, perhaps last years models, that are a good value? I'm not interested in 3D and probably don't even know what the rest of the cutting-edge features are.
  6. Do you recommend any wall mounted speakers for the extra rooms for low-volume use?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page