Need help picking receiver. 5.1 or 7.1 Many Q's. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been struggling in looking for a receiver.

I really don't need more than 5.1. I have no intention of ever having a 7.1 system. HDMI passthrough is something I think could be helpful for my 5 year old and my wife.

I like the concept of the ARC, but I think the only thing that saves is the extra optical audio cable, right? If so, I already have such a cable and my TV is not wall mounted, so I don't care about an extra cable.

Most TV I watch is either from the Cable Box or from Netflix streaming from the TV (internet apps). We also play the Wii.

Does this mean that I shouldn't worry about upconversion? I rarely watch DVDs (don't yet have a Blue Ray).

The one "expensive" option that I love is the Internet radio, so that I can listed to foreign radio. But the only receiver that is below $400 that can do that is the Pioneer VSX-1020.

I could save $100 can get the Onkyo RC260. or save almost $200 and get the Onkyo SR308 or the entry level Denon or Yamaha. If I do that, I could then add a standalone internet radio. (I know that some apps on TVs and Cable boxes, etc.. have internet radio, but I love the idea of changing channels directly from the stereo remote without having the TV on or the cable box on).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 PM

Liked: 10
It's a slippery slope. Go to the low end units and you start seeing cheaper build quality, smaller power supplies, fewer inputs, etc. IMO perhaps consider the lowest priced model you can find that has pre-outs. That way if you're unhappy with the sound you can always add an amp,

Around the 400 price point is where you appear to get the most bang for your buck. As for Internet radio, I'd consider a dedicated device as standards in the computer world change rapidly and it's easier to replace a stand alone device rather than an entire receiver.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I agree with the separate internet radio device. Something like the Grace Solo http://www.gracedigitalaudio.com/sol...amer-p-94.html
or the Logitech Squeezebox Touch (pricey) http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...s/devices/5745 will work and not require the TV to be on as a "monitor" to see what you are selecting.

if you think you will ever need 3D TV, then the Yamaha V667 is a nice unit with pre-outs. If HDMI 1.3 is ok, then see if any vendors still have the Yamaha V1065 (from last year) still available.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page