Help with 5.1 for a PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I freely admit that all of my life I have been ignoring audio quality. Using the audio chip on board my motherboard and a set of old Logitech 5.1 speakers.
I decided to change that this time, and while putting my PC together bought a set of Infinity TSS-800 5.1 surround speakers on sale for $250. thinking I would spend about $90-150 more buying cables and a good sound card, and enjoy good audio quality for years to come.

Then I started looking at what cables I would need and was shocked to learn that the amplifier in the subwoofer only powers the subwoofer, and I need something called a 'receiver' to actually make my speakers work.

Now the Speakers arrive tomorrow according to the tracking information. And I have make the decision then whether to send them back and get my money back, and suffer along without knowing what good sound quality is
OR
Figure out how I am going to fit both a receiver and a soundcard into my somewhat limited budget.

Please, o wise and beneficent audio sages, you are my only hope.
(too over the top? )

What should I do and what do you think I need to buy to make this work as cheaply as possible.

Additional information: My computer is in a 7' x 12' room, and the speakers are going to surround a 6' x 6' area with up to 3 people sitting in it. (I like playing my computer games with friends)
I also have access to soldering irons and electrical engineers I can convince to help me if a Do-It-Yourself solution is somehow possible for building an amp and getting the data from the sound card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 PM

Liked: 14
As long as your soundcard and receiver have an SPDIF connection you are good, just find the ones that will fit your budget. I'm running 5.1 on my computer from left over components and it is quite a step up from my old Logitech Z-560's.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So if my motherboard has an optical S/PFID out, does the fact that the onboard audio chip is not considered to be the best, going to effect the sound quality?

Basically can I get by with just buying a receiver and no dedicated audio card, without the audio quality suffering?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page