For the techies: audio dropouts on Yamaha RX-V1900 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, this is sort of my last shot at finding out what is wrong with my brand-new Yamaha RX-V1900. I suspect that it is a rather "exotic" issue, but I figured someone here might have a clue even so...

Long story short:

I recently upgraded my old NAD 5.1 amplifier to a RX-V1900, and at the same time went from an old Premium 360 to a new Slim (hooked up via HDMI).

This has caused a strange audio bug to occur, whereupon the audio from the Yamaha disappears for a split second at random intervals (sometimes several hours) when playing games. When the dropouts occur, the Dolby Digital icon on the amp display flashes briefly as well - possibly indicating some sort of signal loss.

I've even made a short video with a compilation of dropouts in the new Need For Speed.

I've done some research on the topic and has been informed, by a guy claiming to be an audio engineer, that the dropouts happen because the Xbox, when it drops the volume to zero, also drops the audio signal completely. This typically happens when the 360 is loading or changing scenes in games, and means that the amp has to re-detect the audio signal, which is what causes the dropout.

At the same time, I've had a word with one of the guys responsible for the audio hardware in the original 360. He says that the issue could be due to the fact that, while the 360 does output Dolby Digital, it is in a slightly different format from "normal" DD. Some amps might have problems with this, which is what causes the brief dropouts.

I guess I'm looking for other people who have an Xbox 360 hooked up to a V1900, as well as general advice/feedback on what could be the problem - and how to solve it. Have to say that I'm a bit gutted that my new £800 amp isn't working 100%, so any feedback whatsoever is hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Andreas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had a similar issue start to appear. I have an RX-V663. I am getting frequent short audio dropouts when watching bluray ISO rips from my computer. It is hooked up by coax S/PDIF. The dropouts have not occured with any other input (DTV HDDVR, tuner, PS3). Only when using the HTPC. Video is flawless. The on-screen display shows that the receiver is switching from Straight to Pro Logic (or the opposite way) every time the audio cuts out. I have no idea why this is happening as it has never happened before in about 3 years time. It looks like this may be a common problem with all Yamaha receivers. Any guesses?????
Old 02-26-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Interesting. I had previously discounted trying the Emotive UMC-1 because of it's audio dropouts, in favor of the RX-V1900. But even this can have issues.

I read through Emotiva's thread regarding the latest firmware update of 7.04, and the majority of people still having issues are having issues with audio dropouts from HTPC, or a certain HD-DVD player. Also with some DVRs. It seems to usually occur when chapter skipping (or commercial skipping), which would be a case where it would make sense that a streamed signal would go away for a split second. So it looks like this could be more of an HDMI handshake issue, or something of that nature, which needs to be overcome by multiple manufacturers.

Even the guy at Hometheatershack who reviewed the UMC-1 said his Yamaha had dropout issues with his HTPC via HDMI. Let's hope HDBaseT comes quickly to deliver us from HDMI...
Old 02-26-2011, 04:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I don't own and have never owned a 1900. I have owned a 3900 and now own a Z7. These are similar in design to a 1900. I have no dropouts with my 360 connected via HDMI.

That does not necessarily mean the 1900 is 100% identical in programming. But as far as I know, they use the same HDMI chips.

"But this one goes up to 11"