post #1 of 69 Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hello,

I couldn't find any official thread for the Anthem Amps. I love mine. I had a couple of rotel amps and they were very good bang for the buck but weren't very "warm" sounding to me. I got the Anthem P2 and really thought it sounded "richer" although some of the electrical specs were similar. I went crazy and then bought a P5 to biamp my fronts and used the P2 for the surrounds. I finally ended up getting a P5 for the bedroom as well. I'm not saying this is the only amp out there but I really liked it and got some great deals on ebay and from a relatively close authorized reseller.

I do have one question for people who have these amps - what cabinets are you using? Most cabinets tend to be about 20" deep to 22". With banana plugs coming out the back I figure I need at least 25" if I want a piece of furniture that can be relatively flush against the wall. I figure I'll leave a slight gap for better airflow but I'd prefer not to have about 5" hanging out the back of my cabinet.

9.5" H x 19.25" w x 22.5" D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently bought a P2 for 2 channel music and am very pleased with my purchase. I am considering an A5 for the surround portion. Has anyone set up their system this way. If so, are you happy with the A5 or do you wish you had purchased the P5?
post #3 of 69 Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What rack are people using for their P5s? I just went out looking and discovered that the depth is.. basically longer than every rack I've seen in person. I noticed that the OP asked the same.. figured I'd bump.
post #4 of 69 Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I finally gave up and am planning on having some furniture built soon. Which is OK because I want it to house my center channel and most furniture won't fit a good sized center channel either.
post #5 of 69 Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 AM

Liked: 12
Yep, very annoying.. no idea what furniture my Confidence Center will fit into.
post #6 of 69 Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxthomson View Post

I recently bought a P2 for 2 channel music and am very pleased with my purchase. I am considering an A5 for the surround portion. Has anyone set up their system this way. If so, are you happy with the A5 or do you wish you had purchased the P5?

i own the A5 and love it. Have it hooked up to my Anthem AVM 50v and it sounds great.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers
post #7 of 69 Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

The db gain should be for increasing output. Is it quiet or silent? If it is just quiet - have you checked the settings on your preamp for individual channel gain.
Do the speakers match - e.g. are they from the same manufacturer with the ohm rating?
post #8 of 69 Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

The db gain should be for increasing output. Is it quiet or silent? If it is just quiet - have you checked the settings on your preamp for individual channel gain.
Do the speakers match - e.g. are they from the same manufacturer with the ohm rating?

The manual turns out to explain the input gain selector. The explanation is in a different part of the manual from where I was looking.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #9 of 69 Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 PM

I managed to short one of the speaker cables, and it didn't fry the amp.

This is such a wonderful amp--why is there so little activity here about it?

post #10 of 69 Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

I managed to short one of the speaker cables, and it didn't fry the amp.

This is such a wonderful amp--why is there so little activity here about it?

I would guess it's because most everyone is happy with them. It seems most threads are populated with people having issues with their equipment. After commenting on how these amps are well built, reliable and sound great I guess there's not much else to say since there is no firmware to update, etc.

Now if we could only find good quality racks to hold them.
value likes this.
post #11 of 69 Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxthomson View Post

I would guess it's because most everyone is happy with them. It seems most threads are populated with people having issues with their equipment. After commenting on how these amps are well built, reliable and sound great I guess there's not much else to say since there is no firmware to update, etc.

Now if we could only find good quality racks to hold them.

We use Metro shelving. It's flexible (adjustable, and many sizes), inexpensive, gets out of the way of convective cooling, and holds a ton of weight.

post #12 of 69 Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

We use Metro shelving. It's flexible (adjustable, and many sizes), inexpensive, gets out of the way of convective cooling, and holds a ton of weight.

I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip!
post #13 of 69 Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post

i own the A5 and love it. Have it hooked up to my Anthem AVM 50v and it sounds great.

Me too. AVM-50v + Statement A5 + A2 in my 7ch HT.

Considering a Statement P2 for my 2ch stereo. Currently using Sim Audio W-5 (original 175W version).

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #14 of 69 Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess this amp is so good Anthem decided to raise the price by $1000. It used to retail for $2500 USD and now retails for $4600 CAD

- AVStefan
post #15 of 69 Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Are there any internal pictures of the P2?

I've seen the P5 without cover pic but it's hard to see what's in it other than 5 daughter boards. I'm guessing the P2 chassis is going to be relatively empty in comparison!

- AVStefan
post #16 of 69 Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I guess this amp is so good Anthem decided to raise the price by $1000. It used to retail for $2500 USD and now retails for $4600 CAD

What is the US MSRP for the P2?
post #17 of 69 Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know. The currencies have been hovering around par the last few years (still waiting for those bargains up here but Canadian manufacturers and distributors haven't lowered prices accordingly). Back in 2004 the USD was a lot stronger but that still doesn't make up the difference.

- AVStefan
post #18 of 69 Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank_pd View Post

what is the us msrp for the p2?

$4300!

- AVStefan
post #19 of 69 Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM

Liked: 10
Looking at the P5. Do you have to use two 20 amp outlets? What about surge protection?
post #20 of 69 Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I use a Belkin PF60 - as it turns on my amps when my preamp is turned on. I ran a meter on it - with a P2 and a P5 turned on - all channels on and my TV and my preamp on - cranked it uses about 10 amps but normally it is at about 7 amps.

It is on a 20 amp circuit.
post #21 of 69 Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfheaven79 View Post

Looking at the P5. Do you have to use two 20 amp outlets? What about surge protection?

You can do that or you can get one 30 amp outlet. Doing either one of those will allow you to get the maximum performance from the P5 since it will require 3600 watts when it's performing at its' peak. However, I have heard some say that they were able to use it using one 20 amp outlet; but, if you can do two 20 amp outlets or one 30 amp outlet, then I think that will be safer. As always, YMMV.
post #22 of 69 Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Called Anthem today. Suggested I don't run through a surge protector. Straight into two seperate 15 or 20 amp circuits. Surge suppression affects the performance.
post #23 of 69 Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Surge protector or line conditioner? These are two different things and it's undersized line conditioning that we've always recommended against. It's the power supply's job to take "utility" AC and make it usable.

Surge protection is a whole different matter and the best method depends on many things including the installation site - how the house is grounded - and geographic location - the nature of outages and lightning strikes where you live. It's best to contact an electrician on this topic.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #24 of 69 Old 03-17-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks Nick. I'm trying to learn but in this case the question I asked was surge suppression. Told the rep I was thinking about a Panamax 5300 and was told to not use it and plug directly into the electrical outlet. Live in NC and we certainly have electrical storms. I do not have whole house surge protection.
post #25 of 69 Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Hello all

Remember this thread anyone??

Yip. It is quiet here. That because Anthems keep working right. Although shortly after I got my P5 one of the channels was not working. It landed up being a faulty power relay. Instead of just replacing the relay, Anthem flew out a replacement amp (I am in South Africa). Talk about service!!

The above photographs are taken in "my man cave". Photographs shows the Paradigm S8's and matching center channel with and without the speaker covers on. I personally prefer the sound with the covers on. In there you will recognize the Anthem P2 (on the right hand side of the cabinet). That was my first Anthem power amp. Had a Bryston 4B. Very good amp. But the Anthem P2 beat it without breaking into a sweat. Then I added the P5 (on the lower left), which I now run bi-amped to the the front left and right channels to maximize my stereo music enjoyment. For movies I use the D2, which runs through the Mark Levinson 38s preamp via the 'ssp bypass" mode. The ML38s is my stereo preamp. Still need to compare the sound quality of the ML38s against the stereo preamp within the D2. At the back of the room is a set of Paradigm signature ADPs, and there are 2 Paradigm seismic 12 subs. That cable you see running across the front right is a 7m long Audioquest Diamondback cable which I plugged in temporarily while I was "crawling for bass" whilst positioning the second sub . All interconnects are AudioQuest Sky and Wild, hdmi cables are AQ HDMI 3's. Power conditioning is sorted out by the IsoTek Sigma (there above the P2 on the right of the cabinet). There are 2 silver colour Pioneer dvd players. Got to change those soon as I want the entire system colour coded (black rules). Hmmm. What else. Speaker cables are AQ Rockefeller. Looking for secondhand AQ Mont Blanc or Volcano speaker cables as a replacement. All the speakers were internally rewired using AQ Rocket44 speaker wire. What an amazing improvement that landed up being. Power cables are Lapp power cables fitted with Furutech Rodium schuko and IEC plugs. The power cables fitted after the power conditioner did not make too much of an improvement. I hear really good things about the Isotek Synchro power cable, so I must try one soon. That will be fitted between the wall outlet and the power conditioner. Oh. Speaking of which. I have a dedicated feed from the breaker box, into an industrial voltage regulator, to the power conditioner. The lights dim and flicker during a nasty storm or on the odd occasion but the av system runs without any issues. The power cable is a 3 x 4mm screen and shielded Lapp power cable running off a 20Amp breaker. Due to the length of the P2 and P5 I chopped out a section from the the rear of the cabinet, just large enough that the P's can stick there asses out the back. Makes plugging cables in so much easier. Although the room is air-conditioned, inside the top area of the the cabinet are a total of 12 80mm computer tower fans powered from a computer power supply via a controller switch. Very efficient and quiet fan setup that. During the day when those curtains are closed the room is seriously dark, so don't leave anything laying on the floor, coz you will stand it on. The tv, that 's a Panasonic 42" plasma. Love that tv. Awesome picture. Changing that to a 55" in September. If you look really carefully, stare at the television, you will see a reflection of me taking the photograph. Behind me you will see my cd collection covering the rear wall. Stereo music is currently enjoyed through a Bryston BDP-1 and BDA-1. There are 3 2TB hard drives of music above the BDP-1. For video playback I also use a Mede8er media player, with a NAS storage unit holding 4 hard drives behind the cabinet.

Thats my room in a nutshell

Show me yours !!
post #26 of 69 Old 10-21-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldp View Post

Yip. It is quiet here. That because Anthems keep working right. Although shortly after I got my P5 one of the channels was not working. It landed up being a faulty power relay. Instead of just replacing the relay, Anthem flew out a replacement amp (I am in South Africa). Talk about service!!

I just had one of my P5's die on me. I sure hope their service is still as good. I hope to hear back from them tomorrow.
post #27 of 69 Old 10-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just replaced my mca20 & 30 with an A5. Plus I now have a D2 with arc which replaced a avm50
post #28 of 69 Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldp View Post

For movies I use the D2, which runs through the Mark Levinson 38s preamp via the 'ssp bypass" mode. The ML38s is my stereo preamp. Still need to compare the sound quality of the ML38s against the stereo preamp within the D2.

Hi Ronald,

I would be most interested in the outcome of that comparison.

(Bryston DAC + ML Preamp) vs. D2!

Regards,

- AVStefan
post #29 of 69 Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 AM

Hello everyone

Since my last post I have sold the ML38S and replaced that with the ML380S. The sound stage detail and air are a lot more open and cleaner sounding. That tv is gone, replaced it with the Panasonic 50" UT50, which after some tweaking gives a fantastic picture. The Bryston DAC is gone, as I bought a dCS stack - verdi encore transport, verona clock and elgar plus DAC. Kept the Bryston BDP-1 which is upsampled through the transport, then clocked before being processed by the DAC. What a lovely combo this is. Whether listening to hard drive music or off the disc, my foot has never tapped this much whilst listening to music before.

Waiting for the arrival of the new cabinet, when that is done I must update the photograph.

AVfile....... the ML with the BDA-1 have a quieter background, the artists and instruments had their own space, the separation between the artists was more pronounced, and detail and word pronunciations are better too. The preamp in the D2 is quite decent ( I have had Thule, Bryston, ML, NAD, Cambridge). Friends of mine ( who have the D2, P5 with Paradigm S6 and same cables and conditioning as I have in their setup with similar room size and layout) use the D2 as their stereo preamp and this is very musical and enjoyable, but I found that the D2 doesn't have the depth and feeling of the ML & BDA combo, the music sounds a little flatter. If I didn't have the ML and dac I would be quite happy living with just the D2 as a stereo pre. Certainly a lot less cables and component space too! But knowing and hearing what I do now, I would not give up my current setup - although lately a little voice says I must get a reference pre-amp to do justice to the dCS source. But I am loving the music, and cant wait to get home to listen to something whilst enjoying a fresh pot of coffee.

Hope that helps!
Ronald
post #30 of 69 Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 AM

boe....... any update on the P5 repair ?? From what I hear the P series is bullet proof. Found out that the fault on mine was a relay on the power supply. But Anthem seems to stand by their products well. Hope they take good care of you too.

porshetech.......nice upgrade!!! How are you enjoying your system now??
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page