Processor ONLY / Pioneer VSX-1120 or Elite 32 / Yamaha 667 / Onkyo 708 / Denon 3311 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there are a ton of threads between these receivers, so I apologize for the redundancy. I bought new speakers and decided to buy an amp. Now I need a new receiver because my Denon AVR 1911 does not have preouts.

All of the other threads on here are based on using the internal amplifiers. My question has more to do with which ones have the best video and musical quality.

Since I can not hear them in the same configuration I have, I want to know if anyone knows how to determiine which ones have the best sound quality, which is my ultimate goal.

[BThe Pioneer VSX 1120 / Elite 32: I like the feature set a lot but I know the internal amps are weak. How is the sound and video quality by itself.

Yamaha 667 / A700 : I like the sound and clarity of the Yamaha's but do not know a lot about them. This has the least features, and costs the least out of the bunch.

Onkyo 706 : This has a good feature set and I can not hear the sound because they are not sold anywhere around me. I have heard they are bright, but would this be the amp or the processor. MY Polks ae a little bright so I do not want a bright receiver.

My set up: FR&L Polk RTi A9 / Center Polk CSI A6 / Rear R&L Polk Rti A7 / Side TSI 500 / SUB PSW 550 / Amp Sunfire Cinema Grand 7

The primary use is for HT, but I do like to listen to music and loudly and clearly when I do.

So, for Base Sound and HT processing quality, What do you suggest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone used any of these receivers as processors only?
post #3 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but no one is replying yet so I'll give you something.
I currently have an Yamaha RX-V665 in my kitchen running Boston Acoustics speakers.
In the office is an Yamaha RX-V467 running Yamaha Speakers.
Living Room has a YamahaRX-V863 with Boston Acoustics Towers on down to small surrounds.
Bedroom is a Onkyo TX SRSR608 With Yamaha Speakers.
While I am using all of the internal amps in these units and not pre pro's, I can say hands down the Onkyo in the bedroom is the brightest of the bunch by a wide margin. It doesn't sound bad, in fact it sounds pretty good, but it can fatigue the old lady at moderatelly higher volumes rather quickly.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I use the Pio 1120k as a pre-pro with an Emotiva UPA-7 amp, and it's great!
post #5 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
palehorse,

What speakers are you using in your set up. Also did the amp effect the SQ.

post #6 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the same speakers you have. I use RTiA7 for fronts; and RTi4 for surrounds. I had Onkyo 608 and was too bright at high volumes. I had also a marantz SR6003 and sounds phenomenal. Also had Denon 689 and sounds pretty good. I sold all to get a new receiver with HDMI 1.4a. From all 3 the best SQ was the Marantz. So I was almost decided to get the new Marantz SR5005 for $799. It doesnt have all features as Onkyo but according to my experience with SR6003 thats the way to go.

The other receiver would be the Yamaha A700. I have to decide between A700 or SR5005. Finally I found a coupon for a Denon 3311 for just $808. This has Audessey XT, Preouts, AirPlay Support; 125WPC; Audessey DSX; and for that price; there's no more to look back and place the order last week.

If you can still have luck try to place order in 6ave and use coupon code "AFLDEN808"; I read somewhere that Yahamas are bit bright; but not as Onkyos. If you're not so lucky then dont know what to say.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

palehorse,
What speakers are you using in your set up. Also did the amp effect the SQ.

I use Polk Monitor 70s and CS2 for fronts, and Emotiva ERDs as surrounds.

With the possible exception of tube amps, I personally do not feel that ANY amplifiers have ANY tangible effect on SQ. I personally believe that SQ is derived primarily from speaker and room characteristics, as well as room correction and equalization settings.

Amps are dumb sources of power, nothing more...
post #8 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 AM

I think that I am going to go with the 3311 as well, but I really want to like the Pioneer Elite VSX-32. I do really like the Yamaha A2000, but until it comes down in price a little, I do not like it enough to pay a few hundred more than the 3311.

I demoed a Pioneer 1120 and the features on it are really cool and it does have the Marvell processor. I liked the sound of the denon much better, but since I would only be using the processor, I am not sure if it makes a big difference. I would get the 1120, but without the 12v trigger, I would have to manually turn off my power hungry amplifiers every time I used it and that would not only be a pain to me, but my wife really likes the point and go model.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
If you go with the 1120 you can buy a switched power strip. You can set it to where the amps will turn on when the receiver comes on. The big difference between the pioneer and the denon will be room correction. Some people prefer MCACC and some prefer Audyssey.
I've found that adding power is only useful if your receiver was not getting the job done in the first place. If you upgrade the 1911 to the 3311 and add an amp it will sound better if the 1911 was clipping trying to drive the polks. If the 1911 has enough power and it's not clipping, adding an amp will have little to no effect. It has a lot to do with room size, how loud you listen and how difficult your speakers are to drive. You might get an improvement with the 3311 because it has MultiEq XT and the 1911 has MultiEq.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtrSound View Post

I think that I am going to go with the 3311 as well, but I really want to like the Pioneer Elite VSX-32. I do really like the Yamaha A2000, but until it comes down in price a little, I do not like it enough to pay a few hundred more than the 3311.

I demoed a Pioneer 1120 and the features on it are really cool and it does have the Marvell processor. I liked the sound of the denon much better, but since I would only be using the processor, I am not sure if it makes a big difference. I would get the 1120, but without the 12v trigger, I would have to manually turn off my power hungry amplifiers every time I used it and that would not only be a pain to me, but my wife really likes the point and go model.

You wouldn't have to do anything manually if you use a smart power strip and 12v 3.5mm universal power adapter as a trigger... that's what I did, and it has the added benefit of cutting off ALL vampiric devices when the receiver isn't turned on.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I've found that adding power is only useful if your receiver was not getting the job done in the first place. If you upgrade the 1911 to the 3311 and add an amp it will sound better if the 1911 was clipping trying to drive the polks. If the 1911 has enough power and it's not clipping, adding an amp will have little to no effect. It has a lot to do with room size, how loud you listen and how difficult your speakers are to drive. You might get an improvement with the 3311 because it has MultiEq XT and the 1911 has MultiEq.

MjPearce023,

Basically, the speakers sound bright until I turn the 1911 up to about -10, at which point they come alive in the mid range. I will not turn it up past 10 to avoid clipping, so this does not give me much range. I am hopeing that the higher currency amp will help the mid range and bass come alive at lower volume as well as giving me more head room. The reviews that I have read about the RTiA9's and A7's say that they do require ample amplification to sound their best, and hopefullt this is true. I have heard them amplified and they sounded wonderful.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQCraving View Post

MjPearce023,

Basically, the speakers sound bright until I turn the 1911 up to about -10, at which point they come alive in the mid range. I will not turn it up past 10 to avoid clipping, so this does not give me much range. I am hopeing that the higher currency amp will help the mid range and bass come alive at lower volume as well as giving me more head room. The reviews that I have read about the RTiA9's and A7's say that they do require ample amplification to sound their best, and hopefullt this is true. I have heard them amplified and they sounded wonderful.

Have you ever tried dynamic eq? That usually helps with low volume listening. If they sound good at higher volume I don't think an amp will help with the low volume. You could also try some acoustic panels to tame the brightness. It sounds like the problem is more the room than it is the amp. You could also mess around with the speaker placement and toe in.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

It may be a room issue. I have 20 ft ceilings, so there is quite a bit of wall surface. I did not think about that. I am getting ready to build a theater system in my basement, so they may go down there.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea that could be the issue. If you wanted to do a test you could get some heavy quilts or blankets and place them at the first reflection points and see if that helps the brightness. I think you will have the same problem if you upgrade receivers and get an amp. You could just wait till you move them to the basement and see if that helps.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

I have decided to go with the Denon 3311. Denon is a proven quantity to me and it had all the features that I was looking for. I did give close consideration to the Pioneer Elite AVR 32 as well. I liked the sound of the 3311 better as well as it having an Audio Return Channel, and two sub preouts. I really liked the looks of the 1120, but the 12v trigger prevented me from going that route as well. I wish any stereo stores aroud me sold Onkyo, because I would have loved to hear them. I got the 3311 on sale for $808.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQCraving View Post

I have decided to go with the Denon 3311. Denon is a proven quantity to me and it had all the features that I was looking for. I did give close consideration to the Pioneer Elite AVR 32 as well. I liked the sound of the 3311 better as well as it having an Audio Return Channel, and two sub preouts. I really liked the looks of the 1120, but the 12v trigger prevented me from going that route as well. I wish any stereo stores aroud me sold Onkyo, because I would have loved to hear them. I got the 3311 on sale for $808.

The 3311 is a great -- albeit much more expensive -- choice. For the record, though, both Pioneers you mentioned also support ARC; and, the two sub outputs on the 3311 are nothing more than an internal RCA splitter -- they are not independent SW channels -- so the same thing can be accomplished with an external RCA Y-adapter on the Pioneers... Just sayin'

Enjoy your new toy!
post #17 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 AM

I do like the 3311 a lot. When spending that kind of money I think that I had a previous denon that I really liked and it being a known quantity is what made my decision final. It is a great receiver and the external amp really brought out the mid range in the Polk RTi A's.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page