Yamaha AV Receiver Dock YDS-11 VS YDS-12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm writing this to share my experience w/ these 2 Yamaha iPod docks. These docks are dedicated Yamaha receiver docks and will only work with them as an extension of the receiver (thus I'm posting this in the receiver section). They do not function standalone and will not work with any other receivers.

I use a Yamaha RX-V659 (100W, 2006) but do not use it for any video switching - all video is sent directly to the television. I do have a composite video out from the receiver hooked to the television as well (for viewing on screen displays mostly for the iPod when docked). I have an iPod Classic 6g 80GB with videos that I've downloaded from iTunes and others I've manually copied onto the device. No iPhone.

I originally read reviews of the original YDS-10 which indicated that it could NOT play vidoes such as movies you might have on your iPod and skipped it last year and opted for the YDS-11. As you may know the YDS-11 will not allow you to access the iPod's video section thru the Yamaha receiver's remote. You have to toggle OFF the iPod display on the receiver, get up and manually select and start your video/movie etc via the iPod wheel. It 'will' then play a movie which can be viewed on the television (via the dock and Receiver).

Recently I noticed a newer YDS-12 was out and some of the reviews suggested that the YDS-12 supported accessing video directly thru the dock and also offered cover art display. I understood that the dock came w/ an A-B switch and my receiver was 'older' and required the 'B' position for compatibility. So it was not clear from what I had read whether the YDS-12 would indeed support accessing videos via remote as well as cover art etc given my 'older' Yamaha receiver. So I broke down, sold my YDS-11 and bought one.

Well it DOES NOT SUPPORT VIDEO with my RX-V659. I get the SAME gray background screen, blocky white text overlay and no access to iPod video and no cover art streaming.

Still I can toggle the receivers DISPLAY button (which turns off the on screen display, and turns off the Yamaha logo on the iPod) and then find the movie with the iPod wheel and start it. Once started, I CAN use some controls on the Yamaha remote such as PAUSE, FF, etc. I don't recall that those worked or not on my old YDS-11. Maybe that's a slight improvement.

So, if you have a 2009 (RX-Vn65) or older Yamaha receiver w/ an iPod dock - I see no point in spending an extra $20 for the latest YDS-12 if you can still purchase the YDS-11 for less. It appears you gain nothing (see my note on the FF, Play buttons while watching videos above). I don't have an iPhone but that might be another reason to consider the newer YDS-12 as they do support it whereas I'm not sure the YDS-11 does...?

If you happen to have a 2010 or newer Yamaha receiver - based on the online reviews I've seen - you'd definitely want the YDS-12 to avoid the 1980s blocky text displays and gain access to the iPod's video capabilities.

QUESTION: Wishfull thinking I know but any chance using component or s-video rather than composite would gain access to cover art etc?

(Admins: I put it in this forum because these are extensions for Yamaha receivers, not standalone, if it belongs in another forum - please move it accordingly)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page