Yamaha R-S700 / In market for a Stereo Amplifier, looking for feedback... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have recently purchased a set of Martin Logan Motion 4's, and since they are a 4 ohm rated speaker, and do seem to be very power hungry, I am now looking to purchase a much nicer, higher quality, and cleaner powering receiver. Although I have educated myself on tube amplification, both stereo and mono amping, unfortunately my budget restrains me to moderately priced stereo receivers for amplification. I have decided to steer away from most stereo receivers that offered unnecessary gadgets and gizmo's, and focused on pure unadulterated POWER+SOUND. I have an incessant need for clean, crisp sound. I am a lover of high quality, but have been a victim to this never ending economic slump and collapse.....

Some options:

1) Harmon Kardon-HK3490
2) Yamaha R-S700/S500 (Like the ability to add external amplification and Subwoofer trigger)
3) Onkyo TX-8555 (unsure of amp's ability to drive 4 ohm speakers)

I have mainly been tossing these options around, although I am always looking for suggestions. Keep in mind I will most likely want to demo a well-deserving suggestion. I live in Northern NJ, so I am sure I shouldn't run into retailer issues, but you never know...

// 2-Channel Inspired!//
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Cheapest option is any receiver with pre outs coupled with an affordable amp. The reason being that power will then be very high for the money spent.

For example the Emotiva UPA-2 for under $400 comes close to 200 watts channel into 4 ohms.

As your pre amp needs seem very undemanding, you could get any 600 series Yamaha receiver. Of course some will feel the Yamaha's pre amp section is not as good as your "fancier" brands, but that's tough to prove.

You really just need a volume control and source selector, leaving many options, at least in theory. You might be able to find something used in great condition for that.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Cheapest option is any receiver with pre outs coupled with an affordable amp. The reason being that power will then be very high for the money spent.

For example the Emotiva UPA-2 for under $400 comes close to 200 watts channel into 4 ohms.

As your pre amp needs seem very undemanding, you could get any 600 series Yamaha receiver. Of course some will feel the Yamaha's pre amp section is not as good as your "fancier" brands, but that's tough to prove.

You really just need a volume control and source selector, leaving many options, at least in theory. You might be able to find something used in great condition for that.

So your saying go with a receiver with Pre-Out Coupling and purchase a standalone amp? I always assumed this would be more money...and would you then connect all speakers to the standalone amplifier, and not the receiver??

// 2-Channel Inspired!//
post #4 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I personally like HK's stereo receivers. The 3490 has a very robust amp section. On the bench it produced 167wpc into 2 channels continuous, 4 ohms. I personally don't see the need for an external amp like the UPA-2 (185wpc into 2 channels continuous, 4 ohms) and a preamp which will cost more than the 3490 and offer a negligible power increase.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleMadness View Post

So your saying go with a receiver with Pre-Out Coupling and purchase a standalone amp? I always assumed this would be more money...and would you then connect all speakers to the standalone amplifier, and not the receiver??

The reason being that you can probably find a receiver with pre outs for a good price if you shop around (even considering lightly used.)

And the external amp, if chosen properly, will outperform the receiver's own amps.

post #6 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

I personally like HK's stereo receivers. The 3490 has a very robust amp section. On the bench it produced 167wpc into 2 channels continuous, 4 ohms. I personally don't see the need for an external amp like the UPA-2 (185wpc into 2 channels continuous, 4 ohms) and a preamp which will cost more than the 3490 and offer a negligible power increase.

That seems to be a perfectly legitimate suggestion. I have never own HK, but their stereo receives look pretty decent.

post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have to say I was leaning more towards the Yamaha R-S700, but I think I may demo both before making a decision. The only problem is finding a dealer that has both, or even finding a way to demo my ML Motion 4's on them........problems, problems, lol.

I can imagine what a nightmare I'd have on my hands if I won the lottery LOL

// 2-Channel Inspired!//
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have to say I was leaning more towards the Yamaha R-S700, but I think I may demo both before making a decision. The only problem is finding a dealer that has both, or even finding a way to demo my ML Motion 4's on them........problems, problems, lol.

I can imagine what a nightmare I'd have on my hands if I won the lottery LOL

There is a full test report and review of that 3490 over at Audioholics. Also suggest looking at Amazon for a new one. I bought the 3390 from the big river for an excellent price. The 3490 is a very powerful receiver. Connections for 2 subs, however there is no bass management with these H/K's. But whats the big deal about that, we went for years without EQ programs and there's always the old trusty Rat Shack meter. Good luck.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-04-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Just made my purchase this week:

Yamaha R-S700BL $400 shipped, Brand New......

Can't wait to hear it!!!!

Thinking of purchasing JPS Labs GPA 2 and possibly some RCA interconnects for my CD player....

// 2-Channel Inspired!//
post #10 of 11 Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't overspend on cables, IMO. I see no evidence they have any impact. Speakers are obviously important, but I don't know what you have lined up for that.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Just made my purchase this week:

Yamaha R-S700BL $400 shipped, Brand New......

Can't wait to hear it!!!!

Thinking of purchasing JPS Labs GPA 2 and possibly some RCA interconnects for my CD player....

How do you like the R-S700 ?

I am seriously considering purchasing one.

Let us know your thoughts.

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page