post #241 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianthax View Post

Not sure where you got that but the NEC spec is 120V +-5% at the house feeder (actually its 240V +-5% used as two 120V legs).

It practice I've seen anything from 110 to almost 130 from outlets after resistive loses in the home wiring and "average" outlet voltage is generally around 117V. 115V isn't a specification or a standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I thought standard US voltage was about 120v. I think it may depend on where you live. 115 to 120 volts seems to be about the range.

I think I have measured 120 a few times when I have tried it.

FWIW, I get extra power from my amps. My line voltage typically runs 122-123V.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPureSound View Post

Ah, heck at 80Watts/Ch. that's Eight Times more than Paul Klipsch said he needed back then, which was quoted that he only needed 10Watts to drive one of his speakers.

Thats along the lines of the point I was making. I don't believe that Emotivas are capable of the ACD power that they claim and they don't need to.

Several review sites have basically admitted as much too. They claim they don't have the capability to test 5 or more channels simultaneously.

Sure they make the power into 2 channels, but what about 5? That is where the limits of the caps come into play, also where the 80wpc seems more reasonable.

However, at any rate, an honest 80wpc is a lot of power and apparently adequate for most. Yeah, I'm talking to you MJH.
post #243 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Yeah, that's why I use preowned pro audio amps. I've cherry picked a stack of two QSC PLX3402s and two QSC PLX2402s to power my HT setup. Cost? About $0.35 / watt for very clean, rack rash-free units.

All SOLD on Audiogon site -- is there another good site for Used, or Auction amps also??
post #244 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

FWIW, I get extra power from my amps. My line voltage typically runs 122-123V.

You better measure the Voltage after you plug in your Amp(s) there, and all the other loads on that CCT.
post #245 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I was in the market right now for a 5+ channel amp, I would get the UPA-7 without hesitation I think. Even buying pro amps seems liable to be more expensive at that price.

I think the big question for anyone, is whether it will meet their power needs. This seems hard to evaluate. If you really need 200 watts / channel to meet your SPL goals and they are non negotiatable, it's not going to do it. If you simply want more power at an affordable price (by amp standards,) it should be a strong consideration, IMO.

Ignoring the UPA-7, and considering the XPA-5 at $900...I have thoughts on that as well. Under current market prices, and based on what I would look at, three 200x2 watt pro amps are going to set you back at least that much with shipping. Find me another option for 200x5 watts that's cheaper, I know of none. I can't know this for sure, but I think you are getting 200 watts / channel under normal use mode. Well, let's say it came up a bit short. Like 180 watts. Are you really losing much SPL? Even more important, is it ever going to audibly clip in most people's systems? I doubt it. If you are setting up a huge home theater with below average efficiency speakers, and you insist on reference level with zero clipping, better look at other options (there are fairly affordable high quality pro amps that can do 400x2 watts.)

In conclusion, both the UPA-7 and XPA-3 seem like they should be on the short list of anyone buying amps where price is a consideration. I don't think this whole power debate changes that.

MJH -- So what is Right or WRONG with this picture:

Integra DTA-70.1 (9 Ch. Amp) MSRP = $1800.00

Spec: 150W/Ch at 8 Ohms, 2 Ch. Driven, FTC

Oh, for the $1800 it is THX Ultra2 Certified!!

Wow.. sounds like such a DEAL...
post #246 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

However, at any rate, an honest 80wpc is a lot of power and apparently adequate for most. Yeah, I'm talking to you MJH.

Thank god it's you. I was worried those voices in my head had come back

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #247 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

MJH -- So what is Right or WRONG with this picture:

Integra DTA-70.1 (9 Ch. Amp) MSRP = $1800.00

Spec: 150W/Ch at 8 Ohms, 2 Ch. Driven, FTC

Oh, for the $1800 it is THX Ultra2 Certified!!

Wow.. sounds like such a DEAL...

Well, if it cosmetically matches, you know that's a selling point for Integra processor owners. Obviously there are better deals in amps.

I sometimes wonder why companies keep designing new amps. Probably because every potential buyer is different.

One thing about pricing, you need amps in all price ranges. Because clearly there are people who say, "I want to spend X$ on an amp" rather than "I am willing to spend up to X$ on an amp, but would prefer cheaper if sound and build quality and power meet my needs."

post #248 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Who makes the BEST Amp -- most power, highest SQ, etc. for STEREO (2 Ch.).

Geez went to Audiogon and there must be 50 different Mfg's. under $1,000 listed for solid state amps!!!
post #249 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You better measure the Voltage after you plug in your Amp(s) there, and all the other loads on that CCT.

I have 16kW of electric plenum heaters in addition to what ever other household loads are going on. Most I've ever seen the mains sag is 4 volts or so.

The amps are distributed across two dedicated 20A circuits that are about 15ft of wire from the main AC panel. Since I don't do full power, continuous sine wave testing I think excess voltage sag isn't a problem, much less that of an impact on my enjoyment.

If all else were to fail in this regard, I could just break out my stack of Crown CE4000 amps. They maintain full output down to 96 volts according to the Binks amp tests that took place some years ago.

post #250 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All SOLD on Audiogon site -- is there another good site for Used, or Auction amps also??

None of my pro amps came from Audiogon, although some other ones did and they were an even bigger $$ savings percentage wise over new, but still more dollars for less power. Those darn "audiophile amps" you know.

post #251 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

If you are concerned about 15Amp circuits, put a 20 amp in!! I never really understood why people do not have dedicated 20Amp circuits for audio anyways.

If audio really matters then peope need to start with a dedicated 20amp circuit.

why???
post #252 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have 16kW of electric plenum heaters in addition to what ever other household loads are going on. Most I've ever seen the mains sag is 4 volts or so.

The amps are distributed across two dedicated 20A circuits that are about 15ft of wire from the main AC panel. Since I don't do full power, continuous sine wave testing I think excess voltage sag isn't a problem, much less that of an impact on my enjoyment.

If all else were to fail in this regard, I could just break out my stack of Crown CE4000 amps. They maintain full output down to 96 volts according to the Binks amp tests that took place some years ago.

Well, you have it totally under control there I see w/ dual 20A ccts. I only have one 20A cct. here and the 55"Vizio pulls around 2A, but the XPA-5 is running quiet, and at Reference level is not even sweating a tear in Stereo mode w/ 2 Ch. driven -- very happy so far, but I would love to have 400-500W / Ch. for each Klipsch RF-82II at 98db each!! Any idea which mono or dual you would buy for quality, best in SQ, and the least dollars?
post #253 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any idea which mono or dual you would buy for quality, best in SQ, and the least dollars?

The ones like I have, of course.

post #254 of 421 Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, you have it totally under control there I see w/ dual 20A ccts. I only have one 20A cct. here and the 55"Vizio pulls around 2A, but the XPA-5 is running quiet, and at Reference level is not even sweating a tear in Stereo mode w/ 2 Ch. driven -- very happy so far, but I would love to have 400-500W / Ch. for each Klipsch RF-82II at 98db each!! Any idea which mono or dual you would buy for quality, best in SQ, and the least dollars?

My god, why?

post #255 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

My god, why?

MichaelJHumanBeing --

We will ALL get you convinced sooner or later there ..

Power corrupts absolutely, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Now you have it figured out, I want to use all the [d/dt(Q)] that I can get from the Elect. Co. here at $0.035305 per kW-Hr.

MJH -- look at EMO's coming XPR-7, and the POWER on that one.
post #256 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have seen info on the XPR-7 for quite some time. Not sure what to think of it. Given it's weight and what I heard the cost was, I think a stack of pro amps might be preferable in this case. I think it might sell for them, though. Time will tell.

post #257 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have seen info on the XPR-7 for quite some time. Not sure what to think of it. Given it's weight and what I heard the cost was, I think a stack of pro amps might be preferable in this case. I think it might sell for them, though. Time will tell.

I know they have a great following at EMO, but their release dates are somewhat to guess at, as they are always Slipping back and back... yes, but you can't buy a Stack of Pro amps and get close to their $2500 or $2900 price for Seven Channels.

I like my XPA-5, but am contemplating picking up an XPA-2, would give me 300W per ch. instead of 200W per ch. for Stereo Mode. Do you think it would be worth it for $550-$600 or so? I like the -5, but my Gut is telling me GET MO POWER for the FRONTS ea. at 98db Klipsch's... What's your feeling?
post #258 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 254
My feeling is that Paul Klipsch, a very interesting guy I met a few times, is spinning in his grave... And, the quote was 5 W, not 10 W, "Give me a good 5 W amplifier..."

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #259 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I know they have a great following at EMO, but their release dates are somewhat to guess at, as they are always Slipping back and back... yes, but you can't buy a Stack of Pro amps and get close to their $2500 or $2900 price for Seven Channels.

I like my XPA-5, but am contemplating picking up an XPA-2, would give me 300W per ch. instead of 200W per ch. for Stereo Mode. Do you think it would be worth it for $550-$600 or so? I like the -5, but my Gut is telling me GET MO POWER for the FRONTS ea. at 98db Klipsch's... What's your feeling?

My feeling is that you don't need more power than the XPA-5 can provide. Are you powering 7.1 using a receiver's amps for the rear surrounds? I forget.

post #260 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

My feeling is that Paul Klipsch, a very interesting guy I met a few times, is spinning in his grave... And, the quote was 5 W, not 10 W, "Give me a good 5 W amplifier..."

Well that makes sense given the Klipsch penchant for efficient speakers using horns

post #261 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just my .02 ... I still have some old klipdh legeng klf 20,s I no longer use in the part... Dude I had different adcom,sunfire and even a chiro amp hooked up to those things...they didn't need all if that power .. In fact it was insanely loud and just too much... Klipsch are VEERY efficient... I ended up just using a good beefy yamaha receiver and it was just as clean... IMO klipsch is not a speak that needs an amp... JHMO!!! To each his own!!
post #262 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
My feeling is that you don't need more power than the XPA-5 can provide. Are you powering 7.1 using a receiver's amps for the rear surrounds? I forget.
Running five Klipsch's off of the XPA-5, problem here was I forgot to re-run Audyssey after amp install. The dual subs come off of the Denon AVR-3311CI, and the Denon is putting out a lot more heat than the XPA-5!!
Wow, changed the Fronts from 40Hz. to Full Band, Center from 80 to 60Hz., and Surrounds stayed at 60 Hz.
Totally opened up the Sound Field in Stereo after re-running Audyssey... now All OK, and sounds great around -25 to -20db.
DonH is right the Klipsch's do not take MuchO Power at all, where did you read 5 Watts Don, as I would love to read what some of Paul Klipsch's quotes where?
post #263 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post
Just my .02 ... I still have some old klipdh legeng klf 20,s I no longer use in the part... Dude I had different adcom,sunfire and even a chiro amp hooked up to those things...they didn't need all if that power .. In fact it was insanely loud and just too much... Klipsch are VEERY efficient... I ended up just using a good beefy yamaha receiver and it was just as clean... IMO klipsch is not a speak that needs an amp... JHMO!!! To each his own!!
Mike, now I understand that is why the other half is always Yelling at me, LOL..
But after adding the XPA-5 EMO amp to setup here, made one hell of a difference in SQ at -25db, that is a fact. After re-running Audyssey it opened up the Fronts RF-82II towers, since it changed all the settings, and put the Fronts at LARGE, and changed the Xover from 40Hz to FullBand. Audyssey is an unbelievable engr. miracle to me... Very Nice.
post #264 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Mike, now I understand that is why the other half is always Yelling at me, LOL..
But after adding the XPA-5 EMO amp to setup here, made one hell of a difference in SQ at -25db, that is a fact. After re-running Audyssey it opened up the Fronts RF-82II towers, since it changed all the settings, and put the Fronts at LARGE, and changed the Xover from 40Hz to FullBand. Audyssey is an unbelievable engr. miracle to me... Very Nice.
Audyssey can be a very useful tool depending on what version of Audyssey you have. I have always done manual calibrations with my Onkyo TX-SR805 with very good results. The version of Audyssey in the 805 is supposed to be pretty good. I decided to give Audyssey a try to do an A/B comparison between the Audyssey results and my manual calibration. The Audyssey results sounded very close to my manual results with movies. A little less bass but it sounded alright. The let down with Audyssey was in stereo mode with music. It made the highs and mid vocals in my mains sound bloated and honkey. The imaging became horrible. It also destroyed the mid bass and low bass from my mains. My mains are a full range speaker and are capable of being set to full range. It's not that I don't like a flat EQ curve. What Audyssey was spitting out was not flat. I ran Audyssey 5 or 6 times with the same results. My room is not that bad for reflections. I guess I am just one of those people that Audyssey doesn't work for.
post #265 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Sorry but I have to say, The only fact is that its had nothing to do with Sound Quality. SQ is used inaccurately 24/7 online. Again, its just another case improper level matched tests and SPL differences being passed off as SQ differences.

SQ difference would mean better accuracy and distortion levels would be lowered with the product. Not a stitch of data supports that opinion. Well your AVR could have had problems but I assume is 100% capable.

the idea behind SQ improvements does not include different colorations, different SPL levels.

NOTE, Audyssey can be an incredible tool if used properly, that fact has nothing to do with the usage of separate amps. Im also not a personal fan of Audyssey and I do not like how it handles my bass.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #266 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Sorry but I have to say, The only fact is that its had nothing to do with Sound Quality. SQ is used inaccurately 24/7 online. Again, its just another case improper level matched tests and SPL differences being passed off as SQ differences.

SQ difference would mean better accuracy and distortion levels would be lowered with the product. Not a stitch of data supports that opinion. Well your AVR could have had problems but I assume is 100% capable.

the idea behind SQ improvements does not include different colorations, different SPL levels.

NOTE, Audyssey can be an incredible tool if used properly, that fact has nothing to do with the usage of separate amps. Im also not a personal fan of Audyssey and I do not like how it handles my bass.

+1

So many people claim SQ improvemnts when in fact all it is more SPL
post #267 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
The subtlety I noticed is now at higher SPL, SQ remains cleaner. Lower levels sound about the same with maybe a placebo of better bass, but overall what I noticed is when I crank the volume, it remains clean at higher decibels. That's why I wanted an amp.
post #268 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

...the Denon is putting out a lot more heat than the XPA-5!!

DonH is right the Klipsch's do not take MuchO Power at all, where did you read 5 Watts Don, as I would love to read what some of Paul Klipsch's quotes where?

1. My Pioneer SC-27 also runs hotter than my XPA-5 (though my XPA-2 runs hotter). Modern AVRs have a lot of processing power and I have noticed in normal operation a lot of the heat comes from the processor, not the amps.

2. Well, I heard it from Paul, but it was also used in a number of ads back then (70's/80's). The last half of the quote changed depending on his mood and audience... I have not looked; there used to be a list a number of folk kept of his sayings and comments. He loved language and pointing out how people misused it. Some I remember are a plane "landing" on water (should be "alight", I think), "original copy", etc. He could be curt but was at heart a great guy. There was an interview in Audio, I think, that was a great read. No idea if any of that material made it on-line. There are probably other interviews and quotes floating around.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #269 of 421 Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Fuses don't blow because
a. The peak power is rarely if ever (probably "never" for most of us) approached in real life. Especially for multi-channel systems. Even if it is, it would only happen on transient peaks, which are very, very fast to something like a fuse or breaker.

My entire HT system, sub included, is plugged into a Belkin PF-60 line conditioner, which displays current draw of each outlet bank and total current draw. When watching a movie at normal listening levels, the LED display has never read over 5 amps.

Quote:

b. Which reminds me, they are usually breakers, not fuses, and very short surges will not trip them. Even a fast blow fuse will sustain very brief transients well over its capacity -- it takes time for the metal to heat up and blow.

I have an air conditioner rated 12 running amps @ 120V. I've measured cold startup current of 200A with my Fluke 335 clamp-on meter, which has inrush current reading capability. So yes, breakers will sustain greater current than people think for brief moments.

post #270 of 421 Old 02-25-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

amen bruddah... i've made that point before...

and if he was alive, he'd hand the poster one of his famous buttons...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page