** OFFICIAL ** -- Sound Quality (SQ) Discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thread is a Technical Discussion of Sound Quality (SQ), and how we can IMPROVE our Quality of Sound within our Environment for Stereo, and all other Surround Modes.

So tell us what was your Biggest Improvement in SQ?

Definition: Sound quality is the quality of the audio output from various electronic devices. Sound quality can be defined as the degree of accuracy with which a device records or emits the original sound waves. Sound quality is also the physical pleasure or fatigue experienced by a listener.

Whether you are just starting out in Audio, or your an Audio Guru we all want to improve our Audio Sound Quality. Simply put we would all like to have the Best Sound Quality (DAQ5) for the Least Dollars invested in All of the Components that make up our A/V system.

DELIVERED AUDIO QUALITY [DAQ]
======================

Delivered Audio Quality, abbreviated as DAQ, is a measure of audio quality over a transmission medium. This metric is often used to quantify the quality of audio heard over a radio system. DAQ levels are defined by the following scale.

* DAQ 1: Unusable. Speech present but not understandable.
* DAQ 2: Speech understandable with considerable effort. Requires frequent repetition due to noise or distortion.
* DAQ 3: Speech understandable with slight effort. Requires occasional repetition due to noise or distortion.
* DAQ 3.4: Speech understandable without repetition. Some noise or distortion present.
* DAQ 4: Speech easily understandable. Little noise or distortion.
* DAQ 5: Perfect. No distortion or noise discernible.

Terms for Audio Quality Measurement
=======================

* Frequency response
* Signal to Noise Ratio
* Damping Factor
* IMD
* CMR
* Phase between Channels or Drivers
* Phase Input to Output
* THD
* THD+N
* Crosstalk
* Slew Rate
* FFT
* SPL
* Gain or dbG
* Flutter measurement (on analog tape systems)
* Rumble measurement
* Jitter (on digital systems)
* Impulse response (speakers) (Waterfall plots, MLSSA) (colouration)
* Latency (satellite links and codecs) (sound for live video)
* Headroom

Also please discuss --

** Room Acoustics
** Cabling - Power, Interconnects, Speaker
** All Sources (HD Radio, Sat. Radio, Sat/Cbl IRD's, BD Players, DVD Players, Turntables, Amplifiers, Preamps, Processors/Controllers, Internet Streaming Sources, etc.)
** Speakers
** Room Equalization -- (i.e.: Audyssey)

This will be a very interesting discussion from day one of our experiences with Audio, to some that have over 50 years in the Audio Field either as a Professional or Hobbist.

Let's make our AUDIO "EXTREMELY PERFECT" !!

DenPureSound
WA., U.S.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My biggest improvement was adding the EMOTIVA XPA-5 amplifier at $899 Delivered to door, which added Headroom, Punch in SPL, Opened up Front SoundStage Presence, just downright sounded better than the amps in the Denon AVR-3311CI for STEREO Mode - I now can feel the power coming through -- dynamically fast transients came alive.

I appreciate that there are many in the DO NOT BELIEVE in a Separate AMP Camp, but if you have not tried one of which many have not, try it first -- then tell us what you heard differently if anything per your ears.

Next biggest improvement was working Audyssey over and over again, to improve SQ. Tweak, retweak, setting Fronts to SMALL, and +-3db Xover to lower end of speaker design specs.

Setting source on BD Player to Pass-Thru vs. PCM seemed to help also.

Moved FRONT Main Speakers away from Wall about 12 inches, also made a nice difference at least to my ears, and others have stated this as well, especially if the speakers have a rear port on them.
post #3 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
did you do any blind testing when you got your Emo?
post #4 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Upgrading from a Denon 1508 to a 3310 was an improvement. The extra power did nothing for me because I have a small room but Audyssey was a nice improvement.

My biggest improvement was actually pulling my fronts out from the wall more. They were about 6" from the wall but now they are 16". The difference for stereo listening is nothing short of amazing. When I brought them out form the wall they just disappeared into the room. The soundstage is awesome now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalhead View Post

I listened to the Denon AVR-3311CI in all modes, and then the EMO XPA-5 came in and blindly listened to the Denon with the Amp, and per our ears it DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE here.

Alot of people say ah it's just Placebo Effect -- to me NOT TRUE at All per my ears. I have not played with different interconnect cables or power cables yet, but I did use 12AWG OFC for Speaker Hookup Cables to (5), and ran AR's cables for dual SubWoofers.

Initially, only had one sub, and another addition which was worth the Money was ADDING the second sub on the other side of the room, just seemed to balance room with the low freq's a lot better, even though the lows are omni-directional from source. Seemed dispersion of lows was alot better with dual subs facilitating getting the PUNCH from ea. side of room, instead of just the one side of room.
post #6 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:

I think we know the answer to that question-
post #7 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPureSound View Post

I listened to the Denon AVR-3311CI in all modes, and then the EMO XPA-5 came in and blindly listened to the Denon with the Amp, and per our ears it DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE here.

Alot of people say ah it's just Placebo Effect -- to me NOT TRUE at All per my ears. I have not played with different interconnect cables or power cables yet, but I did use 12AWG OFC for Speaker Hookup Cables to (5), and ran AR's cables for dual SubWoofers.

Initially, only had one sub, and another addition which was worth the Money was ADDING the second sub on the other side of the room, just seemed to balance room with the low freq's a lot better, even though the lows are omni-directional from source. Seemed dispersion of lows was alot better with dual subs facilitating getting the PUNCH from ea. side of room, instead of just the one side of room.

The only way you can rule out placebo effect is by doing blind testing, which you didn't do.
post #8 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
As a newcomer to the world of "good quality" sound, let me make sure I understand the variables that would go into creating a perfect sound in one's home....
Source- I would assume that some types of digital encoding is better than others. We no longer have to contend with scratchy records, 8 track tapes or warn-out cassettes, but is what digital sounds are better ?
Amplification- so the reciever and/or amplifier can create distortions and lower sound quality, or over or underpower the speakers. What are the properties of a receiver/amplifier that make the sound quality better?
Speakers-reproduction of digital codes into sound that the ear can define. Seems like speakers can be of inferior quality, be provided inferior power or signal.
Environmental factors- floors, ceiling and wall, barriers, size of room, etc.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #9 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I think it's maybe too broad of a topic. But I think it can be summarized based on available evidence.

* Electonics are generally very high fidelity by any measurement I have seen applied
* Blind testing on amplifiers has generally failed to demonstrate that amps sound significantly different when not overdriven (Seem there was one test where they showed amps could sound different, but that's one out of many)
* Speakers have much worse fidelity than electronics
* Rooms have a major impact on sound - frequency response issues, reflections, etc.

Conclusion, IMO - as stated in recent thread I started - electronics are the not the worst problem.

Quite a few things you mentioned have been downplayed by engineers. Go read Dougals Self, Randy Sloan(sp?) or Rodd Elliott. Not everyone agrees with those guys. But they have all discussed stuff like damping factor and slew rate (IMD,) and concluded they are not issues in a properly designed amplifer (no way of knowing how many amps/receivers may have issues with such things.)

Jitter is generally dismissed except by a few people - the same people who seem to believe in audio voodoo, IMO.

Not going to go over all of them, but there's PLENTY of material online and in print and you can judge for yourself after reading some of the sources how much some of this stuff matters.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #10 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

Upgrading from a Denon 1508 to a 3310 was an improvement. The extra power did nothing for me because I have a small room but Audyssey was a nice improvement.

My biggest improvement was actually pulling my fronts out from the wall more. They were about 6" from the wall but now they are 16". The difference for stereo listening is nothing short of amazing. When I brought them out form the wall they just disappeared into the room. The soundstage is awesome now.

MJPearce -- Very INTERESTING post. I would bet upgrading the Denon also gave you the latest Chip Processing for an improvement to SQ, plus Audyssey (which I find excellent).

I just measured my MAINS (FL/FR) Klipsch RF-82II Reference Towers and they are 5" from the back to the Wall.

What speakers do you have for Mains, and why would that make an improvement in SQ?

I know my Klipsch are ported to the rear, and I need to touch basis with Klipsch what they recommend for distance from rear of spkr. to wall.

Great Point!!

Just spoke with Klipsch (Ryan) and he recommended to PULL the RF-82II's Reference Towers for FR/FL out away from the wall measured from the Rear of the Speaker to wall about 10-12". Was able to relocate Front Klipsch's at 11.75" away from wall --

Sound Quality was IMPROVED. Set the Dual Subs to 80 Hz., and the Front Xover on the Denon to 80Hz, after setting the Fronts to SMALL in Denon Setup.

Sound improved - Period

MJPearce - thanks for your suggestion regarding moving the fronts away from the wall.
post #11 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Emotiva XPA amps have somewhat higher than typical gain. If you do not recalibrate upon inserting the amp into the system, then overall SPL at the same volume setting may increase by several dB, making a quantitative change that could be perceived as a qualitative change. I surmise that this is an ulterior reason why Emotiva opted for a 32 dB gain structure. Emotiva wants AVR owners who buy an amp to definitely hear a difference, even if that difference is slyly nothing more than an uncalibrated level increase.

AJ
post #12 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I think it's maybe too broad of a topic. But I think it can be summarized based on available evidence.

* Electonics are generally very high fidelity by any measurement I have seen applied
* Blind testing on amplifiers has generally failed to demonstrate that amps sound significantly different when not overdriven (Seem there was one test where they showed amps could sound different, but that's one out of many)
* Speakers have much worse fidelity than electronics
* Rooms have a major impact on sound - frequency response issues, reflections, etc.

Conclusion, IMO - as stated in recent thread I started - electronics are the not the worst problem.

Quite a few things you mentioned have been downplayed by engineers. Go read Dougals Self, Randy Sloan(sp?) or Rodd Elliott. Not everyone agrees with those guys. But they have all discussed stuff like damping factor and slew rate (IMD,) and concluded they are not issues in a properly designed amplifer (no way of knowing how many amps/receivers may have issues with such things.)

Jitter is generally dismissed except by a few people - the same people who seem to believe in audio voodoo, IMO.

Not going to go over all of them, but there's PLENTY of material online and in print and you can judge for yourself after reading some of the sources how much some of this stuff matters.

Interesting, as one of the factors that Vincent Chen from EMOTIVA states is that the IMD is more of a factor to contend with than the THD+N Ratio in amplifier design, so he stated to me.

Moving the Front MAINS away from the wall is very interesting to me, and I will check with Klipsch on what Paul stated, [Grins]...
post #13 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

As a newcomer to the world of "good quality" sound, let me make sure I understand the variables that would go into creating a perfect sound in one's home....
Source- I would assume that some types of digital encoding is better than others. We no longer have to contend with scratchy records, 8 track tapes or warn-out cassettes, but is what digital sounds are better ?
Amplification- so the reciever and/or amplifier can create distortions and lower sound quality, or over or underpower the speakers. What are the properties of a receiver/amplifier that make the sound quality better?
Speakers-reproduction of digital codes into sound that the ear can define. Seems like speakers can be of inferior quality, be provided inferior power or signal.
Environmental factors- floors, ceiling and wall, barriers, size of room, etc.

First and Foremost is the SOURCE as that is what is creating what we are listening to for sure... great speakers, great amp, great room acoustics, six digit cables, great pre/pro, but a very poor source - will not get you from point a to point b -- Period.
I listened to my DirecTV source for the Sonic channels and it sounds to me terrible, listened to my Technics TT ... not to good either even with clean vinyl, HD Radio still some noise (but no outside antennae), best source so far is my LG BD Player with a CD or streaming in from Napster, Pandora etc, which to me seems very clean, and the total source of music selections is Super beyond belief, and Napster is only around $50/yr. to me a great Deal.
post #14 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MJPearce -- Very INTERESTING post. I would bet upgrading the Denon also gave you the latest Chip Processing for an improvement to SQ, plus Audyssey (which I find excellent).

I just measured my MAINS (FL/FR) Klipsch RF-82II Reference Towers and they are 5" from the back to the Wall.

What speakers do you have for Mains, and why would that make an improvement in SQ?

I know my Klipsch are ported to the rear, and I need to touch basis with Klipsch what they recommend for distance from rear of spkr. to wall.

Great Point!!

I have paradigm Studio 20s. It has something do with the reflections. I've played with my speaker placement for hours on end to try to get the best results. I set up my paradigm monitors in a different room and they were about 3 feet away from the wall. I was amazed with the sound quality so I tried it in my room with the 20s. Sure enough it made a huge difference. I don't know if it's the reflections off the back wall or the wall behind the speakers. It might even be the first reflections off the side wall. I really don't know a lot about room acoustics yet. I've done some research but I'm still reading and learning. All I know is that it was a big improvement in clarity. The studio 20s are front ported but it wasn't an improvement in bass response as much as it was the highs and soundstage. Every room is different but it has worked in both my rooms so I would say it's worth a shot. It's amazing to move speaker a couple inches and see how much the sound changes.

As far as the 3310, I didn't find any improvement in sound quality till I ran audyssey. I'm sure its got great components and DACs and all that but I was not able to notice any differences with it and the 1508 in Direct mode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Emotiva XPA amps have somewhat higher than typical gain. If you do not recalibrate upon inserting the amp into the system, then overall SPL at the same volume setting may increase by several dB, making a quantitative change that could be perceived as a qualitative change. I surmise that this is an ulterior reason why Emotiva opted for a 32 dB gain structure. Emotiva wants AVR owners who buy an amp to definitely hear a difference, even if that difference is slyly nothing more than an uncalibrated level increase.

AJ

Just wanted to highlight this post. Because no matter what you say you can not rule out placebo effect unless you've calibrated both setups equally and do true blind testing.
post #16 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have paradigm Studio 20s. It has something do with the reflections. I've played with my speaker placement for hours on end to try to get the best results. I set up my paradigm monitors in a different room and they were about 3 feet away from the wall. I was amazed with the sound quality so I tried it in my room with the 20s. Sure enough it made a huge difference. I don't know if it's the reflections off the back wall or the wall behind the speakers. It might even be the first reflections off the side wall. I really don't know a lot about room acoustics yet. I've done some research but I'm still reading and learning. All I know is that it was a big improvement in clarity. The studio 20s are front ported but it wasn't an improvement in bass response as much as it was the highs and soundstage. Every room is different but it has worked in both my rooms so I would say it's worth a shot. It's amazing to move speaker a couple inches and see how much the sound changes.

As far as the 3310, I didn't find any improvement in sound quality till I ran audyssey. I'm sure its got great components and DACs and all that but I was not able to notice any differences with it and the 1508 in Direct mode.

=========== SQ Improvement Here !!

Just spoke with Klipsch (Ryan) and he recommended to PULL the RF-82II's Reference Towers for FR/FL out away from the wall measured from the Rear of the Speaker to wall about 10-12" vs. the 5" I had them at. Was able to relocate Front Klipsch Mains at 11.75" away from wall -- measured from Back of Speaker.

Sound Quality was IMPROVED. Set the Dual Subs to 80 Hz., and the Front Xover on the Denon to 80Hz, after setting the Fronts to SMALL in Denon Setup.

Sound improved - Period

MJPearce - thanks for your suggestion regarding moving the fronts away from the wall.
post #17 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just wanted to highlight this post. Because no matter what you say you can not rule out placebo effect unless you've calibrated both setups equally and do true blind testing.

GeneralHead -- it sounds like your setup does not have a separate amp there!! What are you running in equipment there?
You can do a Blind Test at an Audio Store, buy it and bring it home, and connect it up, and ALL BETS ARE OFF.
post #18 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

AJ

AJ -- are you running a separate Amp there with an AVR, or totally discretes, or just an AVR?
What have been your experiences with a Separate Amp there, if you have used/tried one?
Interested in what your feelings/opinions are there on amplification.
post #19 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is anyone running the Denon AVR-A100?

How does it compare to the Denon AVR-4XXX, and the -3XXX Series in Sound Qualities?
post #20 of 263 Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

AJ -- are you running a separate Amp there with an AVR, or totally discretes, or just an AVR?
What have been your experiences with a Separate Amp there, if you have used/tried one?
Interested in what your feelings/opinions are there on amplification.

I had been running a standalone Onkyo AVR. I switched to a Lexicon pre/pro because I wanted to experiment w/ LOGIC7 and other proprietary surround processing and to Anthem MCA amplification because I wanted to be able to swap AVRs & pre/pros at will. I chose my Anthem amp(s) for several reasons: the specs & measurements satisfy my scientific interest in over engineered components, the low impedance drive capability allows me to try out any loudspeakers I please, and the North American build quality & cosmetics are very pleasing. Mystical "sound quality" did not significantly enter the equation, as I knew that the amplification would be audibly transparent to the source.

AJ
post #21 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

=========== SQ Improvement Here !!

Just spoke with Klipsch (Ryan) and he recommended to PULL the RF-82II's Reference Towers for FR/FL out away from the wall measured from the Rear of the Speaker to wall about 10-12" vs. the 5" I had them at. Was able to relocate Front Klipsch Mains at 11.75" away from wall -- measured from Back of Speaker.

Sound improved - Period

No problem man. I thought this thread was a great idea. I also like to see what other people have done to improve their systems. I think imaging can be improved by moving the speakers out and playing with the toe in. I think the average person will just put speakers where they look good. They may not look as good sitting out in the room but sound quality is what it's all about for me. Also, I'm not married so WAF isn't a factor for me.

post #22 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Interesting, as one of the factors that Vincent Chen from EMOTIVA states is that the IMD is more of a factor to contend with than the THD+N Ratio in amplifier design, so he stated to me.

Moving the Front MAINS away from the wall is very interesting to me, and I will check with Klipsch on what Paul stated, [Grins]...

Here is an article by Rodd Elliott on factors which could make two amps sound different. It discusses slew rate/TIM a bit.

http://sound.westhost.com/amp-sound.htm

post #23 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had been running a standalone Onkyo AVR. I switched to a Lexicon pre/pro because I wanted to experiment w/ LOGIC7 and other proprietary surround processing and to Anthem MCA amplification because I wanted to be able to swap AVRs & pre/pros at will. I chose my Anthem amp(s) for several reasons: the specs & measurements satisfy my scientific interest in over engineered components, the low impedance drive capability allows me to try out any loudspeakers I please, and the North American build quality & cosmetics are very pleasing. Mystical "sound quality" did not significantly enter the equation, as I knew that the amplification would be audibly transparent to the source.

AJ

WiWavelength - AJ

Did the Lexicon Pre/Pro vs. the Onkyo AVR change anything in regards to Sound Quality in your opinion?

My readings state that an Amplifier which has alot of IMD, THD+N, poor EMI/RFI rejection, etc. vs. the AVR's discrete amp section, of which are clean from Onkyo or Denon, etc. can actually harm the sound quality in those few cases of a poorly designed amp, but today I would say whether it is Anthem, Parasound, Emo, etc. they are well designed in so that you get more Voltage and Current to the speakers and in turn more Power RMS at virtually no loss in sound quality, and in all my readings and my personal tests here with and without an amp, I am convinced and very pleased to say like you, am a Happy Amp Camper, and the only thing that I will change going into the future is the Pre/Pro or AVR, and maybe a source or two as tech. chgs. on the front ends. Your doing the same thing as I'm doing.

One factor that is not highly discussed is with an AVR which many of them are only putting out around 50W per ch. or so, even though the specs are showing 100W etc. is that when the Back EMF is produced from the speaker the amp has to have enough power to overcome the Back EMF voltage spikes at that finite period of time, and dampen the speaker out quickly. With the separate amp, that problem goes away -- period, and with the extra headroom/power to each spkr. coil it can Punch the cone, dampen, and easily overcome any Back EMF, IMHO.
post #24 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One factor that is not highly discussed is with an AVR which many of them are only putting out around 50W per ch. or so, even though the specs are showing 100W etc. is that when the Back EMF is produced from the speaker the amp has to have enough power to overcome the Back EMF voltage spikes at that finite period of time, and dampen the speaker out quickly. With the separate amp, that problem goes away -- period, and with the extra headroom/power to each spkr. coil it can Punch the cone, dampen, and easily overcome any Back EMF, IMHO.

Really that hasn't been discussed much? You're obviously new around here.
post #25 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Generalhead - We would all really appreciate that your posts bring something to this discussion technically speaking on how to Improve Sound Quality, or what has degraded it.

If your just trying to increase your Post Count, you would be better off in the "Newbie" Threads as your contributions bring nothing to this Thread but One Liner Hasty Generalizations.

Suggestion: Maybe you could discuss for us here how the FFT's affect have an impact on Sound Quality?

You heard it here first!
post #26 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

I would suggest spending more time reading this forum because nothing mentioned in this thread is novel. There's a whole section of this forum on audio theory that already covers this topic. Here's a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=91
post #27 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

No problem man. I thought this thread was a great idea. I also like to see what other people have done to improve their systems. I think imaging can be improved by moving the speakers out and playing with the toe in. I think the average person will just put speakers where they look good. They may not look as good sitting out in the room but sound quality is what it's all about for me. Also, I'm not married so WAF isn't a factor for me.

MJPearce -- how do you look at Front Main speakers toe-in. Did you just use a Vector from the Centerline of the front mains to the Main Listening Position in so that the main listener is On-Axis with the Mains?
If so, do you think that also helped there?
post #28 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

MJPearce -- how do you look at Front Main speakers toe-in. Did you just use a Vector from the Centerline of the front mains to the Main Listening Position in so that the main listener is On-Axis with the Mains?
If so, do you think that also helped there?

Did you read this thread yet? It has answers to just about every question in this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824554
post #29 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:

More of a spert IMO.
post #30 of 263 Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Generalhead - We would all really appreciate that your posts bring something to this discussion technically speaking on how to Improve Sound Quality, or what has degraded it.

If your just trying to increase your Post Count, you would be better off in the "Newbie" Threads as your contributions bring nothing to this Thread but One Liner Hasty Generalizations.

Suggestion: Maybe you could discuss for us here how the FFT's affect have an impact on Sound Quality?

You heard it here first!

He's right though. Damping factor has been discussed. You might want to pick up Douglas Self's book on amplifier design. Even if you don't have a background in electronics, he discussed some stuff pretty clearly without formulas and circuits.

But there's some good online articles on damping factor. As I recall, when you start factoring in the affect cables have on damping factor, the amplifier damping factor (inverse of output impedance) turns out to be less significant. I think there's an audioholics article on it.

Here's one article on damping factor (not the most concise, but lots of info)

http://sound.westhost.com/impedanc.htm

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Component Amplifiers , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page