Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: On Waters Edge - Pacific Coast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is a Technical Discussion of Sound Quality (SQ), and how we can IMPROVE our Quality of Sound within our Environment for Stereo, and all other Surround Modes.
So tell us what was your Biggest Improvement in SQ?
Definition: Sound quality is the quality of the audio output from various electronic devices. Sound quality can be defined as the degree of accuracy with which a device records or emits the original sound waves. Sound quality is also the physical pleasure or fatigue experienced by a listener.
Whether you are just starting out in Audio, or your an Audio Guru we all want to improve our Audio Sound Quality. Simply put we would all like to have the Best Sound Quality (DAQ5) for the Least Dollars invested in All of the Components that make up our A/V system.
DELIVERED AUDIO QUALITY [DAQ]
Delivered Audio Quality, abbreviated as DAQ, is a measure of audio quality over a transmission medium. This metric is often used to quantify the quality of audio heard over a radio system. DAQ levels are defined by the following scale.
* DAQ 1: Unusable. Speech present but not understandable.
* DAQ 2: Speech understandable with considerable effort. Requires frequent repetition due to noise or distortion.
* DAQ 3: Speech understandable with slight effort. Requires occasional repetition due to noise or distortion.
* DAQ 3.4: Speech understandable without repetition. Some noise or distortion present.
* DAQ 4: Speech easily understandable. Little noise or distortion.
* DAQ 5: Perfect. No distortion or noise discernible.
Terms for Audio Quality Measurement
* Frequency response
* Signal to Noise Ratio
* Damping Factor
* Phase between Channels or Drivers
* Phase Input to Output
* Slew Rate
* Gain or dbG
* Flutter measurement (on analog tape systems)
* Rumble measurement
* Jitter (on digital systems)
* Impulse response (speakers) (Waterfall plots, MLSSA) (colouration)
* Latency (satellite links and codecs) (sound for live video)
Also please discuss --
** Room Acoustics
** Cabling - Power, Interconnects, Speaker
** All Sources (HD Radio, Sat. Radio, Sat/Cbl IRD's, BD Players, DVD Players, Turntables, Amplifiers, Preamps, Processors/Controllers, Internet Streaming Sources, etc.)
** Room Equalization -- (i.e.: Audyssey)
This will be a very interesting discussion from day one of our experiences with Audio, to some that have over 50 years in the Audio Field either as a Professional or Hobbist.
Let's make our AUDIO "EXTREMELY PERFECT" !!