Sony STR-DG820 Set Up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a new surround sound system and was wondering people opinions on my amp the Sony STR-DG820. Any little tweeks or setting I should do to make my Energy Take Classic system be at it's very best??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
In the spirit of "Snatch"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoYUQSU38E&NR=1

"Any little tweaks?"
"Yeah, don't use entry level Sony AVRs."

AJ
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Run the auto calibration and make sure all speakers are set as small and have a 120-130hz crossover
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

In the spirit of "Snatch"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoYUQSU38E&NR=1

"Any little tweaks?"
"Yeah, don't use entry level Sony AVRs."

AJ

Love Snatch, but this amp is not an entry level sony. Not the top of the line but it's a cheap one.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2001 View Post

Love Snatch, but this amp is not an entry level sony. Not the top of the line but it's a cheap one.

For Sony, unfortunately, any AVR that is not Sony ES is effectively entry level. And even Sony ES AVRs lag behind those from the likes of Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Pioneer in actual power output, digital room correction, etc.

AJ
Old 03-01-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gotta love those Sony haters.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Gotta love those Sony haters.

Sony made unmatched CRT TVs and still manufactures top notch LED LCDs & disc players. But Sony has never made industry leading AVRs.

AJ
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

AJ[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Sony made unmatched CRT TVs and still manufactures top notch LED LCDs & disc players. But Sony has never made industry leading AVRs.

AJ

I understand it isn't a Onkyo etc.. But the reviews are solid and that many tech sites can't be wrong. Some say kills comparable high end receivers in comparison.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Hate budget Sony's all you want but my STR-DH700 out lasted my buddies onkyo tx-sr507 and now his new tx-sr508

And the Sony has plenty of clean power to push my Polk RM6750 5.1 speaker set, along with Monitor 30's and CS1 which took over the front sound stage

It may not be the best but on a budget it gets the job done
Old 03-02-2011, 02:25 PM

Adam,

Like what was mentioned before. Run the calibration setup for the receiver. Test the sound with different audio media sources (TV, DVD/BLRY,Music..etc). If the sound is to your liking, then leave everything as the calibration set it. If not then go into the Sony menu and start making small adjustments, like crossover freq setting and a good place to start is about 80Hz and increase to the next setting until you get the right bass to treble response from your speakers and Sub that you like.

Next check out individual speaker level adjustments or volume output levels and different sound and surround sound fields for what works best with your room environment.

Also remember that speaker placement is critical to achieving optimal sound quality from whatever type of AVR you own.

And for WiWave, why don't you go out and spend your money and buy Adam the kind of AVR you would like him to have because none of your input here was of any use in helping addressing the question asked.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhera View Post

Adam,

Like what was mentioned before. Run the calibration setup for the receiver. Test the sound with different audio media sources (TV, DVD/BLRY,Music..etc). If the sound is to your liking, then leave everything as the calibration set it. If not then go into the Sony menu and start making small adjustments, like crossover freq setting and a good place to start is about 80Hz and increase to the next setting until you get the right bass to treble response from your speakers and Sub that you like.

Next check out individual speaker level adjustments or volume output levels and different sound and surround sound fields for what works best with your room environment.

Also remember that speaker placement is critical to achieving optimal sound quality from whatever type of AVR you own.

And for WiWave, why don't you go out and spend your money and buy Adam the kind of AVR you would like him to have because none of your input here was of any use in helping addressing the question asked.

Ahaha! Thanks man, good point! I would love a top of the line Onkyo if your taking requests WiWave!
@Zhera I'm waiting on my speaker stands and mounts to get the speakers in their final spots. I just can't seem to get it exactly how I want it. i'll get the xbox sounding great then music is lacking bass etc. Hard to balance for my different components.