Zone 2/3 Digital Audio via Optical Connection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to use a Denon 4311 to control my multi zone setup. I already know from searching the forum that the Denon is able to send a digital audio signal via Toslink to zones 2/3, but NOT able to send the signal from HDMI.

My sources and current connection methods are as follows:

Xbox360 - Composite video/toslink
PS3 - HDMI
Uverse set top box - HDMI
Laptop - HDMI

I know I can run an audio RCA cable in conjunction with the HDMI for audio to zones 2/3. My question is if I run an HDMI and toslink (both contain digital audio signals), will the receiver know to take the audio signal from the toslink so that it's correctly output to zones 2/3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Only if the optical connection is passing a PCM 2.0 signal will it pass to Zones 2/3. You can't connect both HDMI and optical and pass a DD/DTS 5.1 signal to both expecting the signal to pass to Zones 2/3.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, JD. The main reason I'm asking is I'm planning on using a laptop running iTunes to send audio to the receiver. The laptop has an HDMI out, and I also have a converter by Creative Labs that plugs into a USB port and also has an optical audio out that I can send to the receiver.

I'm not worried about DD/DTS 5.1 for zones 2/3. I'm just trying to make sure if I connect HDMI from the laptop to the receiver, and then an optical audio from the laptop to the receiver, the receiver will send the audio signal to zones 2/3 and I'll still be able to use the video signal that is being sent to the receiver via HDMI. Does this make sense?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 AM
585-645-1006

Yes, this will work ... if not using the same source name (although this should work), certainly if each input is set up as an individual source name. As HDMI cannot go to Zones 2/3, when either Zone is selected, the AVR will search for either an analog or PCM 2.0 digital input.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM

Hello.

While I may seem new here, I used to frequent this forum in years past, but I forgot my user id and my old email is no longer active. Anyway, I have a question.

I have a Denon 4311 upstairs (source) and a 4310 downstairs (target). I want to send the Superbowl signal from the 4311 to the 4310. I have a TOSLink and HDMI set up to send from Monitor Out 2 for the HDMI and 2DVR for the TOS.

When I play Pandora (4311-functionality) I can see and hear when downstairs (target). So, I'm confident my cabling is working.

When I turn to my cable box I can see the image but there is no sound.

Could my issue be similar to the thread I've attached myself to? Do I need to pick a different cable option?

Hopefully someone can help me asap. I need to get this working before my superbowl party tomorrow! I did all my testing with Pandora. I never thought that the different sources might offer differing results.

Thank you in advance,

Bill
post #6 of 7 Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 PM
585-645-1006

^^
In order to pass audio from the OPT2(DVR) Out jack you must also connect the DVR with optical to the OPT2(DVR) In jack.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Thanks. My short TOS cable is too short to reach between my 4311 and TWC box. I'll have to get another cable to test. While having dinner, I realized I could plug the TOS into my TWC box directly in order to get sound sent to the 4310. I'm good for the Superbowl and will take your advice once I get a longer cable. (my only available cable is 1 foot long.)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page