Looking to upgrade from SR805 to SR508? Advice plse - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All

As the title suggests I currently have a SR805 for a few years and noticed that the SR508 is currently on special for around $200. I got most of my advice from this forum a few years ago when buying and don't have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to amps so can someone please tell me if this is a comparable swap out or is my old amp superior?

Its in my living room which is all open plan so my system doesn't work as well as I would like it too, I would really like the option for more HDMI inputs as my 805 has 2 in 1 out and the 508 I think is either 3 or 4 in and 1 out.

Any advice please?

Thank you

Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

805 to 508 would be a huge step backwards, froma 55lb receiver to one 1/2 that?

You lose Audyssey XT and THX Ultra 2 as well.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
The 805 is superior to the 508. If you need more HDMI inputs, check out monoprice.com and pick up some HDMI switches, and you can put 2 - 4 HDMI sources in a switch using 1 HDMI input on the 805. Also, if you don't think the 805 has enough power for your large room (which it most likely does, and if not, the 508 definitely does not), look into getting a standalone amp and using the pre-outs from your 805.

FWIW, I've used/owned two 805's. One I still use, in my 5.1 family room setup, although I am using a Sunfire Cinema Grand amp with it. The other 805 is in storage since it's been replaced by separates, an Onkyo Pro 5507 pre/pro and Sunfire Signature Seven amp. However, I won't sell my 805 as it is a more-than-adequate backup should anything else in my current systems fail me.

I still think, heat issues aside, the Onkyo 805 is one of the best receivers made from a price-for-performance and quality-components standpoint.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #4 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks schroedk for your message.

I am really quite happy with the 805 was just looking for the extra input but never considered a HDMI switch.

I just spoke with Monoprice but they said they don't sell auto switching HDMI switches. They all seem to come with remotes and I don't want to have lots of remotes cluttering up the house.

Can anyone please maybe post a link to a suitable switch so I don't buy cheap garbage? I really only need 3 or 4 inputs on a switch at the most right now just 2.

Thank you again
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by outatime80 View Post

Thanks schroedk for your message.

I am really quite happy with the 805 was just looking for the extra input but never considered a HDMI switch.

I just spoke with Monoprice but they said they don't sell auto switching HDMI switches. They all seem to come with remotes and I don't want to have lots of remotes cluttering up the house.

Can anyone please maybe post a link to a suitable switch so I don't buy cheap garbage? I really only need 3 or 4 inputs on a switch at the most right now just 2.

Thank you again

Do you have a Harmony remote? You could program the Monoprice remote to work with your Harmony. You still don't have auto-switching but at least you won't have to use the Monoprice remote.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

I do have a Harmony One remote, would it all work together ok? I was just thinking an auto switching unit would have worked best but not sure which direction to go now?

I don't mind paying a few dollars more for a better solution be it remote or auto switching.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I have seen posts where people were able to add the monoprice remote as another device. Since you have a Harmony, are you able to check the Logitech site for the Monoprice remote? I suppose you could also "teach" the commands to the Harmony.

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...d.php?t=683115
post #8 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, ok just ordered a switcher from monoprice, hopefully this will do the job nicely and will program my HO to work with it, fingers crossed.

Thanks again
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page