Pioneer VSX-1021 Owners' Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 2697 Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased my 1021 last week and I love it. The only thing I have not been able to do is get the remote capable of controlling my AT&T Uverse Motorola VIP-1200 cable box. None of the preprogrammed control codes work. When I try to have the remote learn the codes from the Motorola remote, they seem to be received fine by the Pioneer remote. But when I then try to control the cable box with the Pioneer remote, there is no response from the cable box. Has anyone succeeded in getting the VSX1021 remote to work with the AT&T Uverse box, and if so, how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2697 Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM

BTW. Pioneer's iControlAV2 is now available on Android
Can't post a link but just google " icontrolav2 for android" - i wasn't able to find it from my fascinate, but installed fine from web...
post #453 of 2697 Old 07-23-2011, 08:49 AM

I've had mine for a little over 3 months now without incident. I have it handling audio and video switching, Blu-Ray, Apple TV, etc.

Now, when I turn on the receiver for the first time, there's a pop and then no audio. Sees to occur only on the TV/Cable channel. I have to turn the amp on and off once or twice and that seems to address the problem....the audio comes back. Looks like I may be needing to send this back to Pioneer.

Anybody else experiencing this same problem?

Ken
post #454 of 2697 Old 07-23-2011, 12:10 PM

Is there a reset for the VSX-1021 other than the "hold enter and press the Standby/Power button"? I ordered this unit "BRAND NEW" on eBay but they sent me a clearly used one missing everything but the receiver, remote and manual... I'm to return this one before they ship me the actual BRAND NEW one as they said it's a warehouse mistake.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to reset the VSX-1021 another way, that'd be great. Thanks!

NOTE: I've already done many google and searches on this forum to no avail, hope I didn't miss an entry somewhere.

Like FedEx, TiVo is now a verb.
post #455 of 2697 Old 07-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post

Is there a reset for the VSX-1021 other than the "hold enter and press the Standby/Power button"? I ordered this unit "BRAND NEW" on eBay but they sent me a clearly used one missing everything but the receiver, remote and manual... I'm to return this one before they ship me the actual BRAND NEW one as they said it's a warehouse mistake.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to reset the VSX-1021 another way, that'd be great. Thanks!

NOTE: I've already done many google and searches on this forum to no avail, hope I didn't miss an entry somewhere.

FINALLY FOUND IT: "zone on/off" and the "preset down" buttons. Held those for about 4-5 seconds and it powered on. Good to know if this happens on the "BRAND NEW" one they're to send me at least...

Like FedEx, TiVo is now a verb.
post #456 of 2697 Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post

I should be receiving my 1021-K by this weekend and will try out the .flac playback and report back.

Wow just noticed I've been on AVS for 10 years now!!

This may take me a while as I don't know how to set up my XP music server to be "seen" by the Pioneer. Maybe I'll try and stick some .flac music on a USB drive and see if that works.
post #457 of 2697 Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 PM

what is the best / easiest way to watch internet tv from the 1021? i have eithernet cable handy but not sure how to get it going. i watch on laptop now and it does not have a hdmi port that goes to the projector like the newer laptops do. this is for my dedicated theatre room, using a benq 6000 projector. i have a panasonic internet blueray player that will download from netflix and stuff. thanks
post #458 of 2697 Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 PM

When you guys watch movies, be it BD's or DVD's, do you ever use any of the optional surround settings, like movie, action, dynamic or what have you - or do you just leave it in standard?

So far when playing a movie with lossless audio or a good soundtrack I just leave it in standard but am curious for other recommendations....
post #459 of 2697 Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 PM

hello all. I'm trying to decide on which new receiver to buy. I've been looking at the Pioneer VSX-1021-K, the Denon AVR-2312CI and the Pioneer Elite VSX-52. On the high end I'm leaning toward the Pioneer Elite VSX-52 however I've heard that the Denon AVR-2312CI sounds better.Both are about in the same price range. Although looking the the PDF downloads of the specs I don't get a picture of what makes the AVR-2312CI better than the Elite VSX-52. Does the AVR-2312 use better D/A converters than the Elite VSX-52. The pioneer receiver on the practical side has better useability such as more legacy inputs such as coaxial digital and optical digital audio inputs and composite video. inputs. Some of us still use VCR''s and laser video disk players. So what is your opinion on the Denon AVR-2312CI vs the Pioneer Elite VSX-52, which one of them has the better specs, usability, and sound quality. I thought that I would just go ahead and save some money and get the Pioneer VSX-1021-K which has some good feature for the price but I think that I can squeeze and few hundred more to get a better receiver. Please give you input regarding this matter. Your prompt replies will greatly appreciated.
post #460 of 2697 Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSing View Post

When you guys watch movies, be it BD's or DVD's, do you ever use any of the optional surround settings, like movie, action, dynamic or what have you - or do you just leave it in standard?

So far when playing a movie with lossless audio or a good soundtrack I just leave it in standard but am curious for other recommendations....

I never do with my Pioneer 1120k.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #461 of 2697 Old 07-30-2011, 05:11 PM

Using:
VSX-1021-K
Actiontec 1000 wireless modem from Qwest
iPad2, iPhone4, iMac, MacBook Pro

I have had this receiver for a couple months now and am ready to send it back. But before I do that, I thought I would ask you guys, since I am by no means a genius, but have mechanical/electronics aptitude.

What am I doing wrong? I have the VSX hardwired into my network, I can't get it to talk to any of my Macs with airplay. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing a component? Pioneers tech support pretty much sucks and blamed all the issues I am having with Apple. Apple says no, Pioneer is the problem.

Someone please help, I am ready to send this thing back to Amazon and say to H$%L with this crap.

Thanks!

Travis
post #462 of 2697 Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4780 View Post

Using:
VSX-1021-K
Actiontec 1000 wireless modem from Qwest
iPad2, iPhone4, iMac, MacBook Pro

I have had this receiver for a couple months now and am ready to send it back. But before I do that, I thought I would ask you guys, since I am by no means a genius, but have mechanical/electronics aptitude.

What am I doing wrong? I have the VSX hardwired into my network, I can't get it to talk to any of my Macs with airplay. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing a component? Pioneers tech support pretty much sucks and blamed all the issues I am having with Apple. Apple says no, Pioneer is the problem.

Someone please help, I am ready to send this thing back to Amazon and say to H$%L with this crap.

Thanks!

Travis

I'm suspecting the computers/iOS devices can't see the receiver.

Your receiver is hard wired into the network. What does the rest of your network look like? What is the receiver hooked in to, does it go to a switch? How about your computers, are they also hard wired to the same switch (or router)?

I don't know if there'a a setting on the receiver to display your IP address. If you can, try to find out what it is, then on a computer open up the command window (if on OSX its under applications->utilities->Terminal), then type "ping [ip address]" where ip address is the address of the receiver.
post #463 of 2697 Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM

On sale at NewEgg today only for $395 with coupon code: PION729 (exp 7/31) - $0 shipping.
post #464 of 2697 Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM

I am getting my VSX-1021 today ($399 at Amazon.com) and my setup consists of DirecTV, DVD, Apple TV (Gen 2) and a Panasonic 50" Plasma TV.

My speaker system is a Polk Audio Surround Sound Bar (2007 version)mounted on the wall above my TV and I am wondering if I need to go through the calibration procedure with the microphone with that setup. If not, how should the speakers be set up?

Thanks in advance for your response.
post #465 of 2697 Old 08-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Double checking what I've read through this thread ...

I have been looking at the 1021 to replace my Denon 3803 (mostly for video reasons/HDMI switching), but my goal of running 7.1 in my HT and then having a zone 2/Speaker B/WhateverYaCallIt in the dining room playing some stuff streamed from iTunes sounds like it is an impossibility. Would I need to step up to the 1121 or 1120 to make that happen?

I'm hoping to stay in the 1021's price range or less as I'm currently building our new house, but the xx21 has that very cool AirPlay and apps that are pretty attractive... even if I'm running an Android phone.

EDIT: Might another option be to buy some sort of remote controlled speaker switch so I can run the Zone 2/SurroundBack line to and then select whether I want that signal going to the Surround Back speaker or to the Zone 2 I'm setting up in my kitchen?
post #466 of 2697 Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Assuming the speaker switch deal works... how does one go about working with iTunes on a Mac elsewhere on the home network?

I've got a Mac Mini running iTunes and I had thought the iControl app or the PC online control center would allow me to manage my Zone 2 speakers so I can listen to some tunes while I wash dishes in the kitchen. I don't have an iPad or iPhone, so I'd be running the iControl app w/an Android phone but can I use this app to play my iTunes library through the 1021 and manage my Zone 2?

Is the same true of the 1120? I know that it doesn't use AirPlay like the 1021 does, but whereas I don't have an iOS device... does it really matter?

EDIT: I'm rather guessing that there really is no way to control my iTunes library on my Mac unless I'm sitting in front of it. So there is realistically no difference between the 1120's need to use the Bluetooth adapter to stream to the receiver and control iTunes via a separate Droid app vs. using the 1021's built in DLNA enhanced HMG and still needing to use some sort of separate Droid app. Both modes would require iControlAV or something like it.
post #467 of 2697 Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello, any fixes for the airplay dropouts??

I have two routers in my house both linksys, both have dd-wrt on it, one is setup as a wiresless access point to blanket my entire house. The 1021 is wired directly to my main router a linksys E2000.

When i try to stream iheartradio from my ipad 2 the audio would drop out once every 10mins, but come back on its own. Today i'm noticing it would drop out and not come back. i would have to click the airplay icon again and choose the 1021 and it would start working again.

FYI-my ipad2 is stationed on a dock about 3 feet from the 1021 and i do not move it at all while using airplay.

Is this an apple or pioneer problem?

Thanks
post #468 of 2697 Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

Hello, any fixes for the airplay dropouts??

I have two routers in my house both linksys, both have dd-wrt on it, one is setup as a wiresless access point to blanket my entire house. The 1021 is wired directly to my main router a linksys E2000.

When i try to stream iheartradio from my ipad 2 the audio would drop out once every 10mins, but come back on its own. Today i'm noticing it would drop out and not come back. i would have to click the airplay icon again and choose the 1021 and it would start working again.

FYI-my ipad2 is stationed on a dock about 3 feet from the 1021 and i do not move it at all while using airplay.

Is this an apple or pioneer problem?

Thanks

You may have a router problem. Try using one router only. I used to have two and I had problems all the time. After I disconnected my second router all is good.
post #469 of 2697 Old 08-03-2011, 09:38 PM

FYI... here is Pioneer's response to my question about the Android app...

Quote:
The iControlAV2 app is currently for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch 4G only. I am aware of an android version of the app, but it is not developed by Pioneer, and in my experience does not work at all. Our engineers in Japan are currently developing an official android version, but it has yet to be released.
I have confirmed the iControlAV2 will not control the Airplay feature, or allow you to browse your iTunes playlist (though it will allow you to pause and skip tracks). It controls basic receiver functions like switching source, adjusting volume, EQ, and Phase Control.

Thank You,

Keith
Customer Service Representative
post #470 of 2697 Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
You may have a router problem. Try using one router only. I used to have two and I had problems all the time. After I disconnected my second router all is good.
Thanks for the reply. One router is not an option. My main router is in my bsmt and when that was the only router i could only use my ipad in couple spots on the main floor. The upstairs was a total dead zone. why does both routers work perfect for everything else except airplay? i currently have full signal on my blackberry, two laptops ,itouch and ipad2 all over the house.
post #471 of 2697 Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

Thanks for the reply. One router is not an option. My main router is in my bsmt and when that was the only router i could only use my ipad in couple spots on the main floor. The upstairs was a total dead zone. why does both routers work perfect for everything else except airplay? i currently have full signal on my blackberry, two laptops ,itouch and ipad2 all over the house.

Airplay streams and need to use your network nonstop 100% of the time. That is why you notice when you only get it 95% of the time. Airplay stops!

You probably had this happen before but you did not notice, since most of everything else you use does not ask for your network 100% of the time.

Try airplay using one router only, then you will know if that is the case. Also try a different channel on your router to avoid interference from other networks. If one router does not work try the other. Update the firmware on your routers there might be a fix for the problem. Put the one router you have on your main floor. Should cover you basement and your second floor.
post #472 of 2697 Old 08-05-2011, 12:09 AM

Hello,

I just received my VSX-1021 and so far I've been liking it. I was wondering whether or not there was any way to have it also output sound to the TV via HDMI? I have a Pioneer 50" Plasma and can get one to control the other, but sound never comes through the TV.

Thanks in advance (and sorry if I missed a response somewhere else in this long thread.)

-gk

post #473 of 2697 Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM

I should have known that I couldn't just replace a broken TV. Once the new plasma was in my den, I couldn't help but pine for AV receiver features. My new Panasonic GT30 has ARC, Internet TV, etc. etc. that my older, very good Marantz unit cannot take advantage of. The Pioneer was a bit of an impulse purchase for me when I saw Amazon drop the price by $150 one night. Of course, once I placed my order, Newegg dropped it $5 lower, no tax or shipping. Sigh.

I have to say I'm impressed with the variety of features this receiver has, and the quality of the audio output. With some work and reading the large printed manual that came with the unit, I have managed to get all of the functions working, and they work as advertised to the extent of the maturity of the technology (AirPlay). Very rare on a consumer electronics device, especially for the mid range segment.

I have the receiver set up as 5.1 in the main zone, and driving two outdoor speakers in zone 2. This works to allow my kids to watch TV in the family room while we listen to Airplay streaming outside in zone 2.

The Panasonic TV has Internet TV via VieraCast. Originally, I had optical out from the TV to the older receiver on a separate input (which is limited to PCM stereo). The HDMI ARC feature of the Pioneer makes the extra connection unnecessary. The only difference I noticed is that with optical out, there's a bell tone sounded each time you move the cursor. With ARC, that sound is missing, but Netflix, etc. has correct sound.

I've been able to stream audio via HMG from iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Windows Media. It's extremely easy to do. The DLNA client finds my media server, and plays audio. I haven't had the chance to set up the Internet Radio stations, but looking forward to trying that out. AirPlay is very cool, but your home network must be up to the task of streaming. Even if your device stays perfectly still, WLAN "weather" can cause skips and buffering. If the stream is interrupted, AirPlay stops and must be restarted. Again, this is not a Pioneer problem alone, but receiver + switch + AP + iDevice must all act in harmony without interruption. If you're using the main zone, this is barely noticeable. If you're streaming in Zone 2 and listening to something else in the main zone, you'll sometimes need to interrupt the main zone listeners to restart the stream, as AirPlay will only start up in the main zone.

Some of my favorite features:
  • MCACC setup worked very well for my default listening position. It detected a polarity problem on one of my speakers immediately.
  • The iPad/iPhone application is a fantastic way to control the unit, and is well written and easy to use. So many toys.
  • Dialogue emphasis in the iOS application! This is a godsend! Can't believe I survived so long without this feature I just discovered.
  • Always displays useful information on the front panel, including song title from AirPlay. Very well thought out display.

Some less liked "features":
  • It's difficult to configure the connections for each input, and the procedure is not well documented in the manual. Got good information here on AVS Forum, though - don't forget the INPUT SEL button after changing the input.
  • Don't bother with the wiring navi application, in fact, go ahead and toss the CD-ROM that comes with the unit. It's also Windows only, needing ActiveX. There's a version on the iPad app too, just as useless.
  • Remote is so crowded with tiny buttons, so overloaded with 6 functions per button. Useless. Get a Harmony.

Overall, I'd give the Pioneer VSX-1021 a 9/10. Slight points off for level of difficulty of setup and completeness of documentation of such a complex device. Very impressive feature set, performance, price, cool factor. A great match for the Panasonic plasma display, works with the advanced HDMI features from the set.

----------

"If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
post #474 of 2697 Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Hi All,

Hoping someone has some insight on this one. I have just hooked up my VSX-1021 and everythings working ok, with the exception of the Uverse surround sound which from what I've read is an AT&T issue.

My main question is about the dB levels that I have to hit before I start picking up sound for the Uverse. I upgraded from a Pioneer VSX-918 and the sound was at perfect listening level around 25.0 dB. But with my new recivever I have to go up to 12 or 13 dB which seems unusual, especially since this is not an issue on my other components such as the blu ray player or when I use the Air Play feature to play my music.

I've checked to make sure the volume is at the highest level on the Uverse box and it is. It just seems strange that I'm having this issue with the VSX-1021.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Meanike
post #475 of 2697 Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 PM

Considering buying a used 4 channel amp to push my Zone 2 speakers in the kitchen, but I was unsure of how that works. I assumed that turning on Zone 2 immediately shuts off Surround Back line outs, but is that the case? I'd prefer to not have to monkey around with turning on the amp for that Zone 2 everytime I want to use it.

If the 1021 doesn't do that... anyone know if the Onkyo 609 or Denon 1912 do?
post #476 of 2697 Old 08-11-2011, 01:50 AM

Quick bit of help please...

Does anyone know how to increase volume/output to the rear channels of a 5.1 set up without altering the volume to the front ones? Just cant seem to work it out, and unless I missed it I didn't see it in the manual...

Thanks (with hope!)
post #477 of 2697 Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSing View Post

Quick bit of help please...

Does anyone know how to increase volume/output to the rear channels of a 5.1 set up without altering the volume to the front ones? Just cant seem to work it out, and unless I missed it I didn't see it in the manual...

Thanks (with hope!)

Wish all questions were this easy to answer

Press the receiver button on your remote to activate the buttons that you will be using. Then look at the 3rd button from the left side bottom on the remote. It says CH LEVEL above it. Press it numerous times until you get to the speaker you want to adjust. Use + / - to adjust
post #478 of 2697 Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 PM

Anyone know if you use the Zone 2 preouts and use a separate amp to push that stuff if you still use 7.1 in the main zone?
post #479 of 2697 Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Wish all questions were this easy to answer

Press the receiver button on your remote to activate the buttons that you will be using. Then look at the 3rd button from the left side bottom on the remote. It says CH LEVEL above it. Press it numerous times until you get to the speaker you want to adjust. Use + / - to adjust

You sir, are a gentleman

thanks so much
post #480 of 2697 Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Airplay streams and need to use your network nonstop 100% of the time. That is why you notice when you only get it 95% of the time. Airplay stops!

You probably had this happen before but you did not notice, since most of everything else you use does not ask for your network 100% of the time.

Try airplay using one router only, then you will know if that is the case. Also try a different channel on your router to avoid interference from other networks. If one router does not work try the other. Update the firmware on your routers there might be a fix for the problem. Put the one router you have on your main floor. Should cover you basement and your second floor.

Thanks fo the reply. i'm running a linksys E2000 and E1000 both with the latest dd-wrt firmware. The E2000 is my main router in the bsmt and the
E1000 is set to be an access point in my second floor bedroom. Since my whole home is wired with cat5e, all the cables end up in my bsmt by the panel. hence the reason for the main router to be in the bsmt.

I'm only noticing the dropouts when using the iheart radio app on my ipad. when i stream my itunes library using the apple remote app or just from the ipads ipod app it seems rock solid. i wait it out, hopefully iOS5 fixes some of airplays issues.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page