Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2682 Old 04-05-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

driven in spec and run flat, it will "sound like" every other avr...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2682 Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by limiter View Post

Does anyone know if I use all 5 HDMI inputs on the VSX-1021 can I then use the Component inputs as yet another two inputs on top of the 5 for a total of 7? My Onkyo had a fixed number of video inputs so using Component meant one of the HDMI couldn't be used.

I believe that If you use all five HDMI inputs then you can use only one of the component inputs for a total of six. There are seven video source inputs. Two are HDMI only. Four are assignable. And one is composite only (front panel).
post #33 of 2682 Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasian View Post

Any thoughts on the Sound Quality of this receiver?

The feature set is SO strong, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger over one of the Yamaha RX-Ax000's.

The price point seems too good to be true, but honestly I'd love the functionality! Will be using HSU speakers for 7.1

You have the HB-1s? I think ive convinced my father to buy the Enthusiast 2 and was going to buy a set myself before i decided to go back to school. How you like them?
post #34 of 2682 Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 PM

Reposted from another thread to here, since I am now an owner.

I'm so frustrated. I just finally got home after a long day of work, was so happy to go pick up my new 1021 K after paying through the nose to have it delivered overnight. I plugged it in and....... It won't turn on. Nothing. No lights, No sounds, and nothing.

I can't find a power switch anywhere, so I assume that the standby / power button is how it gets turned on. The remote won't turn it on either. I tried it on three working outlets.... Nothing.

Please someone tell me I am a moron and am missing something here. Like back when I was 16 and went and bought a new battery in middle of the night only to find out the car didn't turn on because I forgot to push in the clutch. I will gladly settle for that kind of embarrassment.

Nothing in the instructions gives any indication so far that there is some unique way to turn these on.
post #35 of 2682 Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snejenka View Post

Reposted from another thread to here, since I am now an owner.

I'm so frustrated. I just finally got home after a long day of work, was so happy to go pick up my new 1021 K after paying through the nose to have it delivered overnight. I plugged it in and....... It won't turn on. Nothing. No lights, No sounds, and nothing.

I can't find a power switch anywhere, so I assume that the standby / power button is how it gets turned on. The remote won't turn it on either. I tried it on three working outlets.... Nothing.

Please someone tell me I am a moron and am missing something here. Like back when I was 16 and went and bought a new battery in middle of the night only to find out the car didn't turn on because I forgot to push in the clutch. I will gladly settle for that kind of embarrassment.

Nothing in the instructions gives any indication so far that there is some unique way to turn these on.

.... And to make matters worse, Amazon is listing 2-3 weeks before a replacement can be shipped.
post #36 of 2682 Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrambo View Post

I believe that If you use all five HDMI inputs then you can use only one of the component inputs for a total of six. There are seven video source inputs. Two are HDMI only. Four are assignable. And one is composite only (front panel).

Thanks, this helps a lot.
post #37 of 2682 Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM

Set mine up last night, and I'll have a bigger better review tomorrow... but I have a question. Are people noticing a little noise or grainy output from the video? Particularly in backgrounds or large sections with the same color? Didn't see that in my old receiver but it seems to be a real issue with this one. I'm hoping I've got the settings wrong, so do you have any suggestions?
post #38 of 2682 Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone see these arrive in brick and mortar stores like bestbuy?
post #39 of 2682 Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 PM

I picked up 1 @ BestBuy today. They are available in select stores. I'm in Minneapolis and they were available in 3 of them in the area.
post #40 of 2682 Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM

My Thoughts on the VSX-1021

Up until now I've been living with a limping-along Kenwood Soverign VR-5090. It was definitely showing its age. The lack of HDMI was really getting to be a problem. About a week ago it started completely breaking down and stopped detecting audio properly; instead of detecting digital audio it would default to analog inputs and simply not play anything. Time for a new receiver. I am no audiophile but I can tell the difference between high quality audio and an undersampled MP3. That said, most of my comparisons will be with respect to my old VR-5090 as that's what I was coming from.

I settled on the VSX-1021 because the feature set was strong, the 1020 had some pretty impressive reviews, and because after getting burned by the Kenwood Soverign line I wanted some solid tech that didn't really represent being an early adopter again. Yes the 1021 is brand new, but it's very similar to the 1020 which is a fairly well-tested design.

Notes on my setup:
5.1 Home Theater + 2nd Stereo zone
HDMI Set Top Box that plays 720P and 1080i
HTPC with Blu Ray
Handful of video game systems, some HDMI, some Component

Audio
IMO the audio is solid. Certainly strong enough for my home theater system, stays smooth and gets as loud as the wife will let me make it. I wasn't thrilled with the results of MCAAC so I've tweaked calibration by hand... I'm still tweaking to find that perfect balance, but that's not an issue with the receiver.

I've put the system through its paces with a variety of DVDs, CDs, and digital music and I'm well satisfied with the results. Again, I'm no audiophile, but it's certainly on par with the 5090 paid quite a bit more for 10 years ago.

Video
Mixed results. Handles clean signals just fine, but I'm not thrilled with any of the video processing features it is capable of. Every option seems to insert a great deal of noise in solid color/muted or out of focus backgrounds. I've pretty much turned any video processing feature the unit provides off and let my television handle the signals it receives as it sees fit. Even then I swear there's more noise in the signal than my 5090 used to allow. I'm no expert but I'm not as satisfied as I'd like to be here.

Set Up
Let's get this out of the way early: Setup is a bear. The software included is extremely limited, didn't work in Chrome, and I wasn't satisfied with the results once I did have it running. The manual is terrible, not to mention incomplete (I found a separate page floating around in my box explaining Airplay, it wasn't in the manual at all).

The system assumes to know what kind of devices you will connect. Instead of having 'VIDEO 1' 'VIDEO 2' 'VIDEO 3' and 'AUDIO 1' 'AUDIO 2' 'AUDIO 3' inputs it has 'DVD', 'BD', 'DVR' etc. HTPCs and Video Game systems are not considered. This leads to the Navi software to being nearly completely useless as it asks "Do you have a DVD" - no. "Do you have a Blu Ray" - No. Do you have anything else? Yes. Everything I had fell into the 'anything else' category which it only had very generic instructions for.

So the HTPC became the DVD input and the Playstation became the Blu Ray, the Xbox the DVR. You can rename all these inputs in software, but when it comes time to program a Harmony remote you had better have taken notes.

Moreover, the inputs are linked. When you switch to DVD the system outputs video from the DVD inputs and audio from the DVD audio inputs. The Kenwood 5090 made no such connection. I could set it to run Video 3 and Audio 2 if I wanted. This made watching TV but playing the radio (something I enjoy for sports games) or playing a video game while listening to digital music much easier. I haven't yet found a way to get all the setups I had in the past to work.

Features
  • Airplay
Probably the big one most people are interested about. Airplay takes a little getting used to, but I'm convinced that's more Apple's doing than it is the receiver's fault. That said I like it quite a bit. Especially due to the 2 Zone limitations (More on that later). A little info on my setup. I have used DD-WRT to convert a router into a wireless bridge for my home theater setup. Basically this means that I have all of my home theater components wired to a network component that connects to a 2nd wireless router that connects to the cable modem.

The end result is that as far as the 1021 is concerned, it has a wired connection to the network.

With that setup, any computer on my network with the latest version of Itunes is capable of setting the 1021 as one of its speakers. The little airplay button appears in the bottom right corner of itunes. This happens as long as the 1021 is on. It does not have to be in HMG mode, however as soon as music starts the 1021 will switch to HMG mode. Where I have had difficulty is I can't seem to get my remote to control the receiver when it is running airplay. Normal play/pause are treated as receiver commands (Play acts as Phase control for example). If I put the remote in HMG mode commands push it OUT of airplay and to the HMG home screen. Music stops until I stop and restart airplay on the computer. There doesn't seem to be a 'Back to Airplay' function on the remote or HMG screen either. Frustrating but works great if you leave it alone.
  • iPod/iPad control
I've only played a bit with this as I don't own an iPhone or iPad and borrowed a friends to test the system with. Works very well. No hiccups like I've described elsewhere. I hope Pioneer releases an Android version but I kind of doubt they well. This device has an 'apple exclusive' feel to it.
  • Zone 2
The Zone 2 support is disappointing. This is primarily because there is no down-conversion from digital sources. Sound that enters the 1021 via HDMI or digital signals (Optical or Co-ax) can not be broadcast to Zone 2. This was something the 5090 did seamlessly and I assumed the 1021 wouldn't have a problem with it either. At minimum I'd expect a setup that reduces both zones to stereo play but at least allows sound to be sent. In effect this means that I can't stream sound from my HTPC to zone 2, unless I use airplay which limits me to only that which iTunes plays. VERY disappointing.

Beyond that, Zone 2 support is decent. The interface is intuitive (something I can NOT say about the 5090) and straight forward. One interesting hiccup though: If I want airplay in zone 2, but not in zone 1 I have to:
  1. Initiate Airplay from a PC
  2. This puts Zone 1 into HMG mode with music playing.
  3. Start Zone 2 and shift it to HMG

If I want Zone 1 to be doing something different I can change it now, but it MUST be in HMG playing Airplay when I set zone 2 to HMG. If Zone 1 is not in HMG and I shift Zone 2 away from HMG, the receiver stops handling the airplay signal. Shifting zone 2 back to HMG will result in no sound. Shifting zone 1 to HMG will display the HMG home screen (which gives me the option of playing internet radio or files from USB).

In other words, if both zones go away from HMG, the receiver drops Airplay and won't pick it back up until you restart Airplay from the computer. The computer thinks it is sending airplay to the receiver, so you actually have to deactivate it, and reactivate it to get music playing again.
  • HMG
The HMG main screen allows you to listen to music off of connected devices and networked computers. I can't seem to get it to connect to my computers. It sees them, but gives me an 'not authorized' message for each. The manual does not indicate how you give authorization. Frustrating. The internet radio option is nice and well stocked, but I can't seem to add a particular station I'd like to add. Perhaps this is my fault, I could be doing something wrong. Still the Manual is unclear.

Odds and Ends
The system is slow. The receiver takes about 5 seconds to power up before it will respond to commands. Switching between HDMI components can take up to 5 seconds (usually less, but sometimes this long) while the screen is blank but audio plays. Shifting between signals of different resolutions suffers a similar delay. Be careful if your cable box is configured to deliver whatever the station is broadcast at because if you change channels from a 1080i to a 720p source the simple channel change could cost you several blank screen seconds.

Conclusion
So there's my review. I know it probably comes across as heavily negative, but I figure that most 'Reviews' supplied by groups like CNet and other AV web sites are really highly positive feature lists (read: Commercials). I'd like to make sure people know what to expect from both sides. In conclusion the 1021 is a good but not great piece of tech. It does the job nicely, but some of the features feel a bit half-baked and the manual is terrible. Fight through that and it's a good receiver at it's core. Just don't expect all of the wiz-bang features to be as well worked out as you'd like.
post #41 of 2682 Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrojan
My Thoughts on the VSX-1021

Odds and Ends
The system is slow. The receiver takes about 5 seconds to power up before it will respond to commands. Switching between HDMI components can take up to 5 seconds (usually less, but sometimes this long) while the screen is blank but audio plays. Shifting between signals of different resolutions suffers a similar delay. Be careful if your cable box is configured to deliver whatever the station is broadcast at because if you change channels from a 1080i to a 720p source the simple channel change could cost you several blank screen seconds.
There is already a firmware update. I checked when I first set it up a few hours ago, and then just checked again and surprisingly it is updating to 4f5a

I did this while searching for some way to deal with the video processing you are describing.... I want a try and find a way to keep DirecTV from taking sooooooo long to change channels.
post #42 of 2682 Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 PM

I'm having an issue with my AppleTV now where Netflix on it won't play movies because "This content requires HDCP for playback. HDCP isn't supported by your HDMI connection. this content requires HDCP for playback."

I never had that issue with my last receiver. Anyone know what to do about it? Netflix plays fine from my PS3 so maybe the issue is with the AppleTV? Still not sure why it worked with my last receiver if that's the case.
post #43 of 2682 Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snejenka
I'm having an issue with my AppleTV now where Netflix on it won't play movies because "This content requires HDCP for playback. HDCP isn't supported by your HDMI connection. this content requires HDCP for playback."

I never had that issue with my last receiver. Anyone know what to do about it? Netflix plays fine from my PS3 so maybe the issue is with the AppleTV? Still not sure why it worked with my last receiver if that's the case.
Nevermind, I unplugged and replugged in the HDMI cable to make sure it's all the way in there and now it's fine.
post #44 of 2682 Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 PM

To speed up the resolution changing slowness, I used iControlAV2 on my iPad, selected the input and chose Off to video converter. Now I can change channels at the same speed I used to with my old receiver and my tv isn't showing constant resolution changes.
post #45 of 2682 Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:

To speed up the resolution changing slowness, I used iControlAV2 on my iPad, selected the input and chose Off to video converter. Now I can change channels at the same speed I used to with my old receiver and my tv isn't showing constant resolution changes.

Can you explain this in more detail? One of my concerns is slow resolution changes. What do you mean by "choose off to video converter"?
post #46 of 2682 Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

umm... thinking this through a second... turning OFF video convert would present different resolutions to the display (vs. a single resolution), and force re-handshaking on channel change... keeping the video convert ON would eliminate the re-handshaking between the avr and the display...

are you sure you didn't also set the cable box to put out a fixed resolution? now THAT would increase the speed of channel changes, as then a re-handshake would not be necessary (the avr/display would only ever see 1 input resolution from the cable box)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #47 of 2682 Old 04-08-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

umm... thinking this through a second... turning OFF video convert would present different resolutions to the display (vs. a single resolution), and force re-handshaking on channel change... keeping the video convert ON would eliminate the re-handshaking between the avr and the display...

are you sure you didn't also set the cable box to put out a fixed resolution? now THAT would increase the speed of channel changes, as then a re-handshake would not be necessary (the avr/display would only ever see 1 input resolution from the cable box)...

Yeah, it does seem counter intuitive. Maybe I'll run some tests again when I get home, but I did change the DirecTV box to output resolution and didn't like the results, and it still seemed slow. Then I switched it back and turned off the receivers video convert, and I swear it sped back up to what I am used to before getting the receiver.

My only guess is that the receiver is slow in processing any input when converting, even when it's coming in at the same resolution it is told to output. Maybe it has to stop and think about it every time, but turning it off just passes through the video it is given?
post #48 of 2682 Old 04-08-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

nah, the lag from the video processing wouldn't do that (and the lag is very small to begin with)... lag from video processing would show itself by you having lip-sync issues, not slow handshake issues... there's no causal relationship between the two...

check your d* box... i'd bet you still have it set on a fixed res...

if not, then i'm REALLY curious, as you'd be the first person to get "faster handshakes" by feeding a non-fixed res... keep in mind that EVERY resolution change in the chain will force a re-handshake between devices...

whereas if you fix the resolution on the hdmi source (the cable box in this case), there's no re-handshaking to be done, as the resolution seen by the hdmi chain never changes...

- chris

post #49 of 2682 Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:

There is already a firmware update. I checked when I first set it up a few hours ago, and then just checked again and surprisingly it is updating to 4f5a

I did this while searching for some way to deal with the video processing you are describing.... I want a try and find a way to keep DirecTV from taking sooooooo long to change channels.

Did the firmware update help?
post #50 of 2682 Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrojan View Post

Did the firmware update help?

Yeah that could be it. I'll try turning video convert back on and see.
post #51 of 2682 Old 04-09-2011, 04:24 PM

The Pioneer VSX-1021 replaces my ten year old Sony ES receiver which is absolutely stone age by comparison. Having just purchased an iPad2 I discovered the VSX by doing a search for Airplay compatible receivers. The free iControlAV2 application for the iPad makes operating the VSX-1021 not only simple but an absolute pleasure. While you can connect older electronics to the VSX the Raison d'etre is the future. Simple to use 'on demand' audio and video programming with software updatable firmware.

My start towards the future included buying the Pioneer BDP-430 Blue Ray player which is also controlled by my iPad2. I am currently watching the Lost Season 2 on Netflix via the BDP-430 app. Being new to Netflix I'm just blown away on what is available for $8 a month.

My connections to the VSX-1021 are the BDP-430, Apple TV, & Direct TV HR24, video out is to a 65" Sony XBR. Everything is hooked up with a total of 4 HDMI 1.4 cables with a single ethernet cable for internet. That's right a total of 5 cables, you should see the pile of cables I disconnected from the back of my entertainment center. Internet is distributed to the TV and BlueRay player via the 1.4 HDMI cables, $8.99 AmazonBasics design.

The video quality is excellent with no artifacts noted in my setup. I use the VSX for my dedicated home theatre and whole house speakers selector via Zone 2. Yes these two modes do work simotaniously, all controllable from the iPad which is awesome. You have to see and experience this super cool interface for yourself to really "get it". I will go out on a limb here and say if you don't have an iPad to control the VSX-1021 you are totally missing the point of this receiver.

This brings me to audio quality, I have been an audiophile for over 30 years and own a dedicated music system worth over $100K. Needless to say the sound of the VSX is not in the same league. However the VSX does sound worlds better then the Sony ES receiver it is replacing. The Sony was basically unlistenable to me when playing 2 channel stereo, background listening only. Not so with the VSX-1021, I think a large part of this is due to the simplicity of the Ice Module amps and something Pioneer calls PQLS, which is a re-clocking feature of the digital signal just before the conversion to analog. Whatever the reason its nice to have $550 receiver delivery good clean music into my environment.

The bad news is the VSX-1021 is a very difficult to set ... a small price to pay for the net result. I have a standard 5.1 system in my theatre with the recent addition of a pair of front height speakers, I really like what they do for the soundstage. IMO much better effect than adding extra surround speakers. I also like the sound of the "extended stereo mode" when listening to music. The internet radio feature is turning me on to lots of good music I have never been exposed to before ... and yes it doesn't sound half bad with the VSX. (Now if I there was only a Netflix like subscription service for music "I" like to listen to)

There are many other features on the VSX that I have yet to explore, time will tell if they will be useful to me. Bottom line; for $550 the Pioneer VSX-1021 performs way beyond my wildest expectations. A+
post #52 of 2682 Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 AM

If you have not tried it, check out Pandora radio. It is a free or subscription service for music exactly like you listen to...
post #53 of 2682 Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Is anyone aware of the recall that they are having on the VSX-1021-K? I work at a electronics store and received an email that we are to pull them off the floor, send them back, and no longer sell them until further notice.....There was no info on why it was recalled tho.....
post #54 of 2682 Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Question:
When I play stereo material the system mixes in my center channel. I'd prefer true stereo. I've gone through the settings and the manual and can't figure out how to fix this. Anybody have any suggestions?
post #55 of 2682 Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson087 View Post

Is anyone aware of the recall that they are having on the VSX-1021-K? I work at a electronics store and received an email that we are to pull them off the floor, send them back, and no longer sell them until further notice.....There was no info on why it was recalled tho.....

I was at Best Buy yesterday looking to purchase one. The salesman told me that they were delivered and scheduled to be sold that day, but they were told to pull them by Pioneer because of a "defect." That was all he knew.
post #56 of 2682 Old 04-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovinus View Post

I was at Best Buy yesterday looking to purchase one. The salesman told me that they were delivered and scheduled to be sold that day, but they were told to pull them by Pioneer because of a "defect." That was all he knew.

Interesting. I hope that is to make sure that all the models have the new firmware loaded on them. I bought one that was delivered last week and have not seen any major issues yet. The only issue I saw was when was trying to see if there was a way to have zone 2 only set up for AirPlay, there was something I did that put the receiver in a state where it was no longer connected to the network. I had to power cycle it to get it back on the network. I can't specifically outline what the steps were that caused that though.
post #57 of 2682 Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovinus View Post

That is a bit concerning, especially since I picked one up this morning. I would seriously doubt it is firmware alone.
post #58 of 2682 Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just spoke to Pioneer customer support line. Rumor of mass recall is true. She described it due to a "glitch," but did not have any further details.

Walkamo, any insight?
post #59 of 2682 Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Anyone see these arrive in brick and mortar stores like bestbuy?

I saw them at best buy today. They had the boxes stacked right next to the 1020 boxes with the price below.

post #60 of 2682 Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 PM

I thought the 1021 has standby HDMI pass-thru to my TV, however I can't seem to get it to work.

I can do pass-thru (DirectTV H24)to the TV with power on, but not after I turn receiver off.

Could this be the glitch, or do I have something set-up incorrectly?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page