Liked: 10
Hardware
TV Samsung LN52A750 4 HDMI
Apple TV 2nd Gen
Pioneer VSX-1021-K
Sony BD S350
PSB speakers

Hello,
My cambridge audio rec died so I bought a pioneer rec. The issues I am currently having is I am not getting any sound through my surround system with a HDMI cable from HDMI in on sam to HDMI out on the rec. Do i need to set something on the tv or rec?
Also when I stream movies from my apple tv i have to turn the volume up on my rec to almost +2db to get quality sound. I also notice if you connect a BD to BD input on the back of the rec then go into input setup HDMI is disabled.Can anyone provide some input on this please...thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2689 Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VSX-1021-K

I've had my rec. for 2-weeks and have an issue with no sound from the rec. while my projector is powered off. Next, I turn rec. off, then power up the projector and turn rec. back on and everything works perfectly fine. I have a HDMI cable output to projector. Does anyone have an idea about what is going on?
post #633 of 2689 Old 10-29-2011, 12:07 AM

Just picked up my VSX 1021 replaced my old Onkyo...and so far its great, added a pair of polk rear surrounds and tossed in Avatar to test it since i also picked up my first BD player (Samsung BD-D6500)

Coming from 6.1 its still a noticeable difference looking forward to much enjoyment with it.
post #634 of 2689 Old 10-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Here's what I'm trying to do.....

I have and older Fujitsu P50xha10us which has DVI input but no HDMI. I've connected the HDMI out of the VSX 1021 to the display via an HDMI to DVI cable. I've connected a Motorola cable box, an Appletv 2 and an Xbox 360 all via HDMI to the AVR. The only signal that passes through is the cable box. If I hook these up directly to the Fujitsu, they all work fine. The display comes up and I can optimize each component to it's ideal resolution. I then hook them back up to the Pioneer and nothing.....

I've got the AppleTv set to 720p and the the Xbox to the resolution of the Fujitsu. nothing....

Any idea on how I can get the video signals of these devices to handshake properly with the receiver and pass through?

I'll deal with the audio issue after I solve the video problem.
post #635 of 2689 Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

I've got the AppleTv set to 720p and the the Xbox to the resolution of the Fujitsu. nothing....

Any idea on how I can get the video signals of these devices to handshake properly with the receiver and pass through?

Hi thomasfxlt, not sure if this helps but for the Xbox 360, go into Xbox display menu and try turning off "Display Discovery".
post #636 of 2689 Old 10-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi kaos81,
Quote:

When I first power on the receiver it does not play any sound through the speakers for about 5 minutes and then it will magically begin......after changing no settings. It is really sort of creepy.

In the upper right hand corner of the Display is a "Signal Select" box it is shown as # 1 under Display on Page 9 of the OP Manual and directs you to page 36 in the OP Manual.
"Choosing the Input Signal" if it is set to "Auto" then it will search for a Audio Signal and maybe for some reason that is taking awhile for it to do.
If the Input is a HDMI Cable then I would set it to HDMI and not on Auto. That way the receiver will look for the Audio at the HDMI Cable.

Let me know if that helps.

Another gentleman previous page said,
Quote:

Earlier in this thread someone else had the same problem. It's a faulty relay in the receiver. Exchange it.

Bud B
post #637 of 2689 Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does anyone know if Sirius radio stations can be controlled with the Pioneer iPad or Ipod Touch app (iControlAV2)?

Does it show you the radio station and song names on your device ?
post #638 of 2689 Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Hey guys ... wondering about an issue with my new setup. I have Wii going to VSX-1021-K with component cables and out to LG 55LW5300 tv with HDMI. There is a noticeable delay with the Wii remote controls, esp in games like tennis. You swing and your character swings way after the ball has passed. I also have a wireless sensor bar. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks in advance...
post #639 of 2689 Old 10-30-2011, 11:24 PM

Got mine a few days ago. Set it up with no problems, worked for 1 day. Now I get no sound or video out of it! When it worked, video, sound, internet radio all were working.

Now none of this stuff mentioned above works. No video or sound out of the AVR at all. I hooked up the BD directly to the TV and each HDMI cable checked as being good. The TV does not see anything connected to its HDMI port when it comes from the AVR (yes, HDMI out is used to go to the TV HDMI in).

I don't always use the AVR, only for DVD, BD, TV movies or some TV programs but never for the news and such. If I have the sound on the TV coming out of the TV speakers and turn on the AVR it cuts off the TV sound... silence, which it did not do the day it worked.

I have a Samsung LN46D610 LED/LCD and a Panosonic DMP-BDT 310 P Blue Ray hooked up to the AVR thru new High Speed HDMI cables (all new units). I did update the AVR to the latest firmware via usb (& TV, BD). I'm hooked up to my network thru a wired connection.

This unit is apparently one that had the "bug" in it, there is no "O" next to the serial# on the box.

I have read that sometimes HDMI ports have a hard time hooking up. Any other ideas?
post #640 of 2689 Old 10-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Hi CubPilotj3,

Strange problem that you have.
Even with a handshake issue you would Hear Audio.

Have you tried doing a Hard Reset back to it's original Defaults as when you first hooked it up?

I would try that...

Good Luck,
Bud B
post #641 of 2689 Old 10-31-2011, 08:46 PM

I had already tried setting it back to the default settings as you suggested and it changed nothing.

The display on the AVR & remote work, just no video or sound. I don't have banana plugs on the speaker wires so the bare wires are attached to the AVR terminals. I was very careful to twist the wire ends and inserted them on the right side of the post so tightening draws the wires into the post connection, no stray wire strands touching metal.

I'm beginning to think it might be a problem with the part of the power supply that has to do with the audio & video.
post #642 of 2689 Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Curious as to what surround modes most of you guys are using with your receiver??

I have been testing all of the different ones out individually but have had issues deciding. On some, the surround speakers are barely audible. On others, they are overbearing and the center channel is hardly moving. I am still quite the home audio n00b and trying to learn as I go so I appreciate any feedback on your setups.
post #643 of 2689 Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM

I like to use either Stereo or PLII: Music for music listening, and usually PLII: Movie for movies/TV. Are you sure the particular content you're using is formatted to utilize the surrounds?
post #644 of 2689 Old 11-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Hi CubPilotj3,

For Video there are settings in the Video Parameters such as matching the Display and Resolution, do you think that got touched and the Pioneer is putting out a resolution that your HDTV does not like?
There is also a selection for LCD or Plasma.
If these output parameters are wrong, theoretically you would have no picture and or sound.
You can easily check your Video settings by pushing the "Video Parameters" Button on the remote.
The Pioneer display will show you the selections and you do not need your HDTV to see them.
However I would still think that at least the GUI would show up on the HDTV.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

I would really get some Banana plugs because there is not a lot of room to hard wire your speakers at the speaker terminals.
I had bananas coming from MonoPrice and wired my amp as you have and it was a pain, did you take a flashlight and really make sure that nothing is touching?
Banana Plugs at MonoPrice... http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
I bought these and they went on the wire Quick, Easy and Secure.

Did you buy this Pioneer locally or online?
If Locally I would return it and swap it out for another..Hey Sh_t Happens!
If online you could call Pioneer and there may be a Authorized Service Center close to you, you could drive it over there and see if they could bench it, to at least tell you if it IS the 1021.
If it is, you could choose repair or put it back in the Box and ship it back for a Return / Swap.

Pioneer's Support Info (Service Center look up is at the Pioneer Website_
For General Service & Support
Call 1-800-421-1404 or contact us by e-mail
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
10:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. EST

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #645 of 2689 Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Hey guys..

Long time reader... first time poster. I just purchased this receiver yesterday. i have everything hooked up and it's all rocking. I had no issues with connectivity. However, I have a couple of questions that I CANNOT figure out.

I use AppleTV as one of the inputs. When I do, 90% of the time I'm just listening to music from my computer or iPad through my speakers. I just want to listen in Stereo (Left, Right, Sub). But, for whatever reason, the Stereo option only uses your left and right speakers... no sub??? Is there a way to enable the Sub with Stereo? I did find one audio preference that uses the sub- Expanded Stereo, but I don't like the music coming out of all the speakers. HELP?!

The other question I have kind of goes hand in hand with my previous one. When switching from different inputs- DirecTV, Playstation, AppleTV, etc... I can't figure out how to have different Audio preferences for each input SAVED for each input. When I switch to a different input, I have to manually change what audio preference i want. I know you can setup different MCACC's... but even with that you have to manually switch those when you switch to a different input. Any thoughts??? Thanks
post #646 of 2689 Old 11-05-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
0) you have run mcacc, correct? if not, do so...

1) then ensure that all of your speakers are set to small... a xover point of 80 is almost always a good starting point (and ending point, ftm)... do not use pure direct...

this will get you what you want (and ime, the "best" way to do things)...

2) yes, you must manually switch the mcacc memory slot... other settings (such as matrixed surround settings) are "remembered" by the avr per input...

good luck, and post back if you have more questions...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #647 of 2689 Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 PM

yes, I've run that. you had the problem nailed. I had my L,R speakers set to large. Putting them to small enabled the sub when listening in Stereo.

Thanks!
post #648 of 2689 Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

cool... glad you are getting what you want now...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #649 of 2689 Old 11-05-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George33027 View Post

My opinion is that you can only have 7.1 OR 5.1 plus zone 2 OR 5.1 plus speaker B.

Depending on your rear connections, the zone 2 needs to be in the zone 2 connections, OR for speaker B the speaker B connections.
The stereo for either B or Zone 2 comes from the 7.1.

Keep re-reading the manual for speaker configurations.
Then follow up in the set-up.

Please clarify capability for me before I spring for this receiver. Currently I have a Pioneer VSX 810 6.1 system that almost works for me in my second room, but I have to walk to receiver and toggle speaker system to A/B or B alone in order to get stereo out to my other room (in which case main room goes to stereo only (same source) on L/R channels if choice is A/B. This approach is inconvenient in needing to manually push buttons to switch speaker arrangement and cannot be accomplished with IR using remote.

I want to be able to normally listen to 6.1 (or 7.1 ) in main room (where I will be using HDMI passthrough going to 3-D tv - Sources fios box, network, ps3). But when I want to listen in my other room (hopefully using all sources and not limited to analog inputs) I want to power stereo speakers - and I don't really care if the tv room has to revert to stereo - or even be restricted to same source as second room. I just want to be able to control the switching using programmable remote. I suppose I could leave my existing receiver in place if needed for second room and use pre-outs to that if my desired approach to only have one receiver is not workable.

Thanks for clarifying before I make final decision
post #650 of 2689 Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

1) the avr has 8 channels of processing... so nope, no 7.1 + powered zone/speaker b...

2) in order for it to work with "all sources", they'd have to be defined as speaker b...

- chris

post #651 of 2689 Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

1) the avr has 8 channels of processing... so nope, no 7.1 + powered zone/speaker b...

2) in order for it to work with "all sources", they'd have to be defined as speaker b...

Thanks

OK - so if I limit output in my TV room to 5.1 - and use the rear for second room (configured as speaker b, not zone 2?) I will be able to listen to all my sources in the second room? (I assume this will be a downmix to stereo) and optionally hear these in the TV room depending on the speaker selection (a/b to hear both)?

And if this is the setup do you still have to physically push a button on front of receiver to change speakers from A to B to A/B to off?

Am I correct to assume that if I am willing to limit my listening in second room (to analog?) I could configure as Zone 2 and that is how you listen to different audio in the two rooms?
post #652 of 2689 Old 11-05-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you are welcome...

yes, yes and yes.

- chris

post #653 of 2689 Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 AM

I purchased mine yesterday and can not get any audio or video output. Can not run the mcacc because I have no video output to the tv. Tried to start it using the front panel display but after the ambient noise check it gets a mic error. I am assuming because i am missing a setting on the GUI. Can anyone confirm if you get audio output without performing mcacc? I have tried every input and output connection possible (HDMI, component, optical, RCA and USB). I guess I'll have to return it today.

Setup is very simple:
Pioneer PDP-5070 50" TV
Motorolla Cable box/DVR
Apple TV
Pioneer VSX-1021-K
post #654 of 2689 Old 11-06-2011, 11:11 AM

So I returned the one I got yesterday and hooked up the new one. Right away everything worked so I definitely had a bad one. Went through the mcacc successfully and am now doing my initial listening. Front, center and rear all sound good but the sub is WEAK. I have never turned the gain passed half way on the sub and even then it would shake the windows. Now I have the gain all the way up and its about 1/10th of what it used to be with my old Sony receiver. Am I missing something here? Reading the manual there seems to be no "bass boost". Also page 46 says the "audio parameter" section should have bass and treble adjustments. Mine does not show bass or treble.
post #655 of 2689 Old 11-06-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

a) did you move your sub?

b) do your speakers set to "small"?

- chris

post #656 of 2689 Old 11-06-2011, 11:40 AM

No I have not moved my sub. Same place and cable for 5 years.

Yes, I have all my speakers set to small and crossover is 150hz.
post #657 of 2689 Old 11-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Hi vrquick,

Quote:

Yes, I have all my speakers set to small and crossover is 150hz.

That's way too High for the Crossover!
At 150Hz you'll have Vocals / Voices in your Sub, that's not good!
Set your Sub's Crossover to 80Hz. IMO...

If you Google Sub's and Frequencies you will find a lot of Information that is useful.

From Polk:
http://www.polkaudio.com/education/article.php?id=20

SOS:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr0...subwoofers.htm

Bud B
post #658 of 2689 Old 11-06-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

without knowing more information, you can't make that statement... depending on his speakers/room response, that may be all the main speakers have to give...

op, did mcacc set the xover to 150, or did you?

- chris

post #659 of 2689 Old 11-06-2011, 01:16 PM

I did not set the crossover to 150hz the mcacc did. Setting the crossover to 80hz the subwoofer turned off. I tried turning the subwoofer gain down very low and reran the mcacc with little to no change. First time I ran it the gain was in the middle where it has been set for years. Does anyone else have no option to adjust bass levels? Is there more adjustment from the AVNavigator? All I own is Mac PC's and the AVNavigator does not work on Macs. I tried emulating internet explorer on my Mac and got it to install but it will not run still.
post #660 of 2689 Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you want to troubleshoot, or you wanna guess? it's not a "bass boost" issue...

when you run mcacc, do you get test tones from the sub?

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page