post #721 of 2680 Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi id10t,

Is it possible that in your sleep you pressed the "Signal Select" button on the remote?
In the upper left hand corner of the receiver's display there is a "Signal Select" box that shows your Audio Signal / Input of choice, just to the left of the Speaker box on the Display.
The choices are Auto, HDMI, Digital and Analog.
If you are using HDMI, then it should show HDMI, if it showed "Analog" or "Digital" as an example, then that means that the receiver is looking for your Audio Input,
at either the Analog RCA Inputs or the Optic / Toslink Digital Input and not at the HDMI cable.
This comes to my mind as to what could kill your Audio.
The Speaker Icons would also go away because there is NO Audio present for the receiver to output to the speakers.

Look on page 9 of the OP Manual and number 1 that corresponds to the Display overview with number 1.
Then page 36 far right hand column describes: "Choosing the Input Signal"
This is the easiest "Gotcha" that I can think of with No Audio.
You would want the "Signal Select" to show where your Audio is originating from.
I do not use "Auto" because then the receiver goes "In Search Of" the Audio Signal and would pause Audio while this is taking place.

For your remote go to page 8 in the OP Manual and it shows the "Signal Select" button to be the same as the # 4 button in section 9
Press the receiver button # 13 and then the #4 Signal Select Button.

If that is not it...I'd Probably go through the Audio Parameters with the remote, (page 46 of the OP Manual) and check out HDMI (it's on page 47 left hand side, 3rd down from the top)
If this gets set to "Through" instead of "AMP" then again no Audio would be heard from the VSX 1021.

With either of the two scenario's above, the receiver would operate exactly as you describe!

Check out those first and then let us know.

I'd hate for you to miss out on NFL Sunday with your new VSX 1021!
Well, that just seems downright UN-Amarican! LOL!
I know that I'll be listening to my Pio all day! Love the Game's Surround!

Good Luck,

Bud B

Thanks for the advice.
I just finished testing all of this without success.
I connected my ipod and was able to get sound out of the 2 front speakers, but still no sound at all from my TV setup.

I tried switching out the HDMI cable as well, that didn't make any difference.

If it matters, my setup is:
Receiver: Pioneer VSX 1021-K
DirecTV Receiver: HR20-700
TV: Samsung PN50C450
Front Speakers: Polk M70
Front Wide: Polk M40
Center: Polk CS2
Surround: Old Large RCA speakers

For what it's worth, I did not have the remote on the couch while I was sleeping, and I am the only one in the house.
EDIT: I also tried switching the HDMI input port on the receiver, re-ran the MCACC test, double-checked to make sure the audio output for my DVR was set to Dolby
EDIT 2: I connected the HDMI cable from the DirecTV receiver directly to my TV, and the audio/video works fine. Obviously doesn't sound nearly as cool.
EDIT 3: After about an hour and a half of TV speakers, I tried reconnecting the HDMI cable to the 1021-K and for some reason, it's now working like a charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2680 Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM

I have a 1021 in route from Newegg and wonder if there is value in keeping the 2 channel receiver that it will be replacing or if I should put the old one up on eBay? I am thinking of setting the 1021 up in a 2 zone mode to power speakers outside as my second zone if that helps with the suggestion.
post #723 of 2680 Old 11-20-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Thanks, Bud.

That's a feature -- individual picture settings per input -- my old Onkyo doesn't have, and I didn't even know the Pioneer did when I decided to buy it. Impressive. I'm now reading through the manual in anticipation of the receiver's delivery on Wednesday, and discovering all sorts of things it can do that the 705 -- which cost more than the 1021 did -- couldn't.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #724 of 2680 Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 PM

I'm helping my neighbor troubleshoot a a new setup. He used my recommended installer, who charged for labor only to mount a Panasonic plasma over his fireplace. The HDMI run is through the basement, and the components are in another room, including a blu-ray player, a DirecTV DVR box, DVD/VCR combo, and an old school CD changer. All the components are connected via HDMI (except the CD changer, just RCA on that). A Logitech Harmony 900 is controlling everything.

I helped him buy the purchased components, a Pioneer VSX-1021-k, the Harmony, the cables and mount. The cables are from Monoprice, including a 50 ft. 22 AWG HDMI to connect the Pioneer to the TV. I've personally owned a VSX-1017, -1018, SC-05, SC-07, SC-25, and SC-37....I've never had a problem like this.....see below.

Everything seemed to work well for a few weeks, then the video would cut out intermittently. My first thought was that HDMI control was turned "on" on the Pioneer, which it was, and I was convinced that was the problem. Later, the problem manifested itself again.

A male to female extension is being used since the TV is so close to the wall, and when we wiggled that, we could recreate the problem with the video cutting out....so, I then thought it could the the extension. So, we tried an articulating HDMI male to female from Radio Shack, but, the problem continued.

The installer was called, and they claimed that they believed it could be a faulty cable, accusing Monoprice cables of being junk. This annoyed me, for I've been using their cables for years, and never had a problem. They talked my neighbor into buying a 50 ft. HDMI from them. He did, and decided to just connect the DirecTV box directly to the TV so they could ensure watching the local sporting events without interruption. No problems with this connection.

I went so far as to buy another VSX-1021-k from Amazon (easy return policy), and see if it could possibly be the receiver's problem. I reconnected all components to the receiver, and with the in-wall Monoprice cable, I wiggled the connection at the TV and was able to recreate the problem of video cutting out (audio is coming through fine to the external speakers connected to the receiver).

This rules out the receiver in my opinion, but again, originally the setup worked fine for a few weeks.

The installer-supplied 50 ft. HDMI seems to be working o.k., for now, but it's not fished through the wall yet, just laying on the floor of the living room. Waiting to see if other problems occur.

I have not tried a direct connection comparison of the DirecTV box to the TV with both cables yet, but am fearing that there may possibly be a problem with the Monoprice 50 ft. HDMI.

The demo mode scrolling is still on the front of the receiver, touting the features, but as I understand it, that's just because MCACC hasn't been done yet. I don't think this will be a needed step until more speakers are installed (they just have a FR and FL as of now).

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, I thought I've tried everything, and feel obligated to diagnose completely since I helped source the components (and recommended the installer).

PLEASE HELP!
post #725 of 2680 Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi jburke02,

As I read through your post one thing came to mind, the 50 foot MonoPrice HDMI cable that you purchased, was it a "Standard" or "High Speed" HDMI Cable?
I remember helping out another poster that was wiring up a projector that was 50 feet away from the Pioneer.
I went to MonoPrice and could not find a "High Speed" 50 foot HDMI Cable, only 25 footers.
I could only find 50 foot "Standard" HDMI Cables.
I will only use "High Speed HDMI Cables!
So we discussed using a Cat5e or Cat6 cable setup instead and I think that is the way he ended up going.

I purchased a few different kinds of HDMI Adapters from MonoPrice.
One was a swivel, one was a 90 and one was a 6 inch male to female HDMI Adapter cable, it's job was to ease the stress that can be put on the HDMI Out connectors on A/V Equipment.
My Monoprice 25 foot High Speed HDMI Cable is connected to my HTPC on one end and of course my VSX 1020 on the other end.
At my HTPC I plastic Tied it to the DVI Monitor cable to give it more stability.
At my Pioneer I used the 6 inch MonoPrice Cable and also plastic tied my cables together so the main cable does not hang and put pressure on the VSX 1020's HDMI Out Connector.

MonoPrice Links:
My 25 Foot HDMI Cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Port Saver HDMI Cable:

HDMI Port Saver Adapter (Male to Female) - Swiveling Type

HDMI Port Saver Adapter (Male to Female) - 360 Degree Swiveling Type

The bottom two items I have but I have not used them yet.
The first Port Saver cable, I do use and like.

I would imagine that if I wanted to go jerking around with or tug on my HDMI Cables then I could screw up it's connection.
I do think that no matter which cable that you use, you should definitely Tie wrap the cable to something, make a support / Give it support, so that there is no pull on the equipment's HDMI Connectors.
This should go a long way to ensure stable and consistent Picture and Sound.

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #726 of 2680 Old 11-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Hi jburke02,

As I read through your post one thing came to mind, the 50 foot MonoPrice HDMI cable that you purchased, was it a "Standard" or "High Speed" HDMI Cable?
I remember helping out another poster that was wiring up a projector that was 50 feet away from the Pioneer.
I went to MonoPrice and could not find a "High Speed" 50 foot HDMI Cable, only 25 footers.
I could only find 50 foot "Standard" HDMI Cables.
So we discussed using a Cat5e or Cat6 cable setup instead.

I purchased a few different kinds of HDMI Adapters from MonoPrice.
One was a swivel, one was a 90 and one was a 6 inch male to female HDMI Adapter cable, it's job was to ease the stress that can be put on the HDMI Out connectors on A/V Equipment.
My Monoprice 25 foot High Speed HDMI Cable is connected to my HTPC on one end and of course my VSX 1020 on the other end.
At my HTPC I plastic Tied it to the DVI Monitor cable to give it more stability.
At my Pioneer I used the 6 inch MonoPrice Cable and also plastic tied my cables together so the main cable does not hang and put pressure on the VSX 1020's HDMI Out Connector.

It's a standard speed cable, should that matter?
post #727 of 2680 Old 11-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Just getting this set up and having a couple of issues:

When running an HDMI from Time Warner Cable Box to Receiver and then an HDMI on the receiver's HDMI OUT to the TV, I get audio, but no video.
Help?

Another problem: because of the first problem, i hooked up the HDMI from Time Warner Cable box to the TV directly for video and then ran RCA (red and white cable) from Time Warner Cable box to TV/Sat in on my 1021. I get a loud Hum or Buzz when I play the audio through these cables. I tried another input (Video 2) on the front of the receiver and get the same thing. (Used different red/white cables)

Let me add that I then ran a RCA red/white cable from my MacBook through the video 2 input on my 1021 and the Hum/Buzz remains.

Is this a problem with A) My receiver. B)My Time Warner Box. C) User Error.

Please help! I'd like to think that all inputs should be able to play without a terrible loud HUM or Buzz. THANKS in advance!
post #728 of 2680 Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM

We just set up our VSX-1021-K. This is our speaker setup, btw:
In room A, we have 2 front speakers, 1 center speaker, 2 surround speakers, & 1 subwoofer (a 5.1 arrangement); and in room B, we have 1 set of stereo speakers).

We set the Speaker System Setting to Speaker B, then ran the Full Auto MCACC. During MCACC, sound came through all the speakers.

The front panel currently is set for Speakers: A + B, and multi zone is off (we're not using multi zone).

Any audio source we've tried works great in room A, but does NOT play at all through the B speakers. The B speakers obviously are connected, as the sound came through them well during MCACC.

Any idea what's causing the problem and how to resolve it?

TIA!
post #729 of 2680 Old 11-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Hi jburke02,

Myself, I only purchase "High Speed" HDMI Cables not only for today but in the Future, I will already be there and not have to update.
Also the cost between Standard and High Speed is minimal.
What kind of HDMI Cable did the Installer drop off?

The below questions and answers was from the HDMI Website.
Link here:
http://www.hdmi.org/index.aspx

What is the difference between a Standard HDMI cable and a High-Speed HDMI cable?
Quote:

Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.
Standard (or category 1) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.
High Speed (or category 2) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

Will my Standard cable work in High Speed applications?
Quote:

Although a Standard HDMI cable may not have been tested to support the higher bandwidth requirements of cables rated to support high speeds, existing cables, especially ones of shorter lengths (i.e., less than 2 meters), will generally perform adequately in higher speed situations. The quality of the HDMI receiver chip (in the TV, for example) has a large effect on the ability to cleanly recover and display the HDMI signal. A significant majority, perhaps all, of the HDMI TVs and projectors that support 1080p on the HDMI inputs are designed with quality receiver chips that may cleanly recover the 1080p HDMI signal using a Standard-rated HDMI cable. These receiver chips use technology called cable equalization in order to counter the signal reduction (attenuation) caused by a cable. We have seen successful demonstrations of 1080p signal runs on a >50 ft. cable, and a 720p signal run on a >75 ft. cable. However, the only way to guarantee that your cable will perform at higher speeds is to purchase a cable that has been tested at the higher speeds and labeled as High-Speed.

Later,

Bud B
post #730 of 2680 Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Hi fletchccc,

Quote:

When running an HDMI from Time Warner Cable Box to Receiver and then an HDMI on the receiver's HDMI OUT to the TV, I get audio, but no video.
Help?

Check out previous posts about HDMI Handshakes between equipment.
Turn on your TWC Cable box and then try turning on your HDTV and then your Pioneer VSX 1021 and vice-versa.
Provided that everything else is OK.
You can go to page 48 "Setting the Video Options" of the OP Manual to see what Video Parameters are available per Input.
In the Video Parameters in your VSX 1021 make sure that they are correct for your HDTV.
Go to the OP Manual and then go through them with your VSX 1021.
Check Resolution, if your Pio is set for 1080P and your HDTV is 720P then you may not see any Video. I think that the HDTV Setting is default may be plasma, if you are using a LCD then set it as such!
But you need to scroll through them and set them accordingly.
I assume that HDMI from the TWC Box to your HDTV works fine and it's just the VSX 1021 that you need to get behaving?

Do you see the Pioneer GUI on your HDTV?

No, you should not hear Hums....

Bud B
post #731 of 2680 Old 11-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Nechama,

Just checking but you have the Surrounds set to Surround Left and Surround Right not Surround Back L&R and the B speakers wired to Front High Left and Right.
Per diagram on Page 13 of the OP Manual, there are some further Troubleshooting tips starting on page 70.

Good luck,

Bud B
post #732 of 2680 Old 11-21-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@fletch... the hum is in all likelihood a ground loop...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #733 of 2680 Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

@fletch... the hum is in all likelihood a ground loop...

I don't know what a ground loop is. Also see the phrase ARC. What is that?
I got a video working on my time warner box but had to change inputs on the receiver. I also went in to the Time Warner options menu and deleted the video output 1080i option so it only optuts 480 and 710p (or whatever it is).
Is this what I had to do to get it to work? Does that mean that whenever watching from my Time Warner, that I get lower quality picture???

THANKS TO YOU ALL!
post #734 of 2680 Old 11-21-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Hi Nechama,

Just checking but you have the Surrounds set to Surround Left and Surround Right not Surround Back L&R and the B speakers wired to Front High Left and Right.
Per diagram on Page 13 of the OP Manual, there are some further Troubleshooting tips starting on page 70.

Good luck,

Bud B

Bud,
Bingo! You solved the problem. Thanks so much!!

Yes, we have the surrounds connected to the surround terminals and not the surround back terminals. I was very careful about that when we connected the speakers. However, we had the B speakers connected to the surround back terminals rather than to the front height terminals. When I had 1st looked at the speaker connection section of the manual, I saw that Zone 2 gets connected to the surround back terminals, and at that time was a little confused between Zone 2 vs. Speaker B (I’m no longer confused about that), and thought we should connect the B speakers to the surround back terminals. My bad. Thanks for your prompt help!!
Nancy
post #735 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and really new to the whole home theater scene as well. A few years ago, I had a 5.1 AIWA system that I bought but then the receiver blew out and I haven't used those little speakers since but am currently using the powered subwoofer. I also have a pair of old (at least 15 years old?) Kenwood floor standing speakers that have served me quite well and as far as I can tell, work pretty well. Although, I have never compared them side-by-side with any of the newer speakers. I'm considering upgrading these to the Klipsch KF-28's, but I suppose that may be for another thread/section/discussion.

I bought the 1021-K a week ago and it has been working pretty well so far with the AIWA subwoofer and the 2 Kenwoods. One thing I did notice is that when I'm playing a blue-ray movie off of my ps3 (which is connected via HDMI into the receiver) I think the sound actually comes in a fraction of a second before the lips move. I believe this is called phasing? I do not notice it to be a problem when watching TV (cable box -> TV via HDMI, and audio goes from TV -> Receiver via Optical). I think it might still be a little bit off, but I can't quite put my finger on which the direction. How do I fix this problem? I've run a full-auto config and it seems like it picked up my system pretty accurately.

I have the receiver connected to a WNCE3001 which wirelessly connects it to my Netgear WND3700 300+300 router and operation has been a dream through my iPad app. I haven't tried Airply for extended periods of time but other than a slow start-up time, I haven't noticed any choppiness in the sound through a few 10-minute sessions now. I hope to try out Airplay more extensively over the next few weeks. I'm also considering getting a 4-port wireless bridge to replace the 1-port WNCE3001 so that I can also connect my TV and maybe even my PS3 since I believe it is still on my 2.4ghz network.
post #736 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

it's called "lip sync"...

in your manual, you'll find an option to adjust a delay to get the audio to match up with the video...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #737 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:

^^^

it's called "lip sync"...

in your manual, you'll find an option to adjust a delay to get the audio to match up with the video...

Thanks! found it. The interactive manual in the Navi software could use a search function. I downloaded the pdf version of the manual to find the little tidbit about lipsyncing.
post #738 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the opposite problem. The sound comes in late. Which I can't understand since I have a 50 foot HDMI cable, and a projector, I would think there would be a slight picture delay. Unfortunately, There is no option to decrease the audio delay less than 0, or no video delay feature.
post #739 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post

I have the opposite problem. The sound comes in late. Which I can't understand since I have a 50 foot HDMI cable, and a projector, I would think there would be a slight picture delay. Unfortunately, There is no option to decrease the audio delay less than 0, or no video delay feature.

It sounds like you successfully reproduced the Faster-Than-Light particle experiments that have been in the news lately. Congratulations!
post #740 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post

I had your problem with a Sony receiver I had right before I bought the 1021-K. But then I returned that receiver because I found the 1021-K. There must be a way to adjust it, right?
post #741 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM

I've been Airplaying for an hour straight now, and I've noticed one minor skip, and a bigger skip, but the music went back to playing after the skip. I didn't have to reconnect or anything. I suppose if that's all I would have to deal with, I can live with that since some people on this thread have much worse issues with Airplay. Although, I think I want to try to isolate the problem that is causing the skip.
post #742 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

likely a network bottleneck...

- chris

post #743 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:

^^^

likely a network bottleneck...

Hope it was just a hiccup. Although, I was streaming from my computer to my laptop, and from my laptop to the receiver. But would that be able to use even close to my network bandwidth?
post #744 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

the airplay stream itself doesn't take a lot of bandwidth, but other stuff runnng on your network may be causing congestion...

- chris

post #745 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:

^^^

the airplay stream itself doesn't take a lot of bandwidth, but other stuff runnng on your network may be causing congestion...

Nothing else was running on the network. Even my web browsing was light. I guess we'll see if this continues. I will say though, I've been missing out a lot on this whole streaming thing. I'm glad I finally caught up a bit to the times.
post #746 of 2680 Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi,

I have a 921-k, am I allowed in here?
post #747 of 2680 Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 AM

The DTS light on the receiver never light up. I followed the instructions regarding the setting. I'm using PS3 and Popcorn Hour using HDMI 1.3 and 1.4. I don't have this problem with my Onkyo receiver before. Can you suggest something to fix this problem?
post #748 of 2680 Old 11-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Has ANYONE been able to get passthrough to work?
post #749 of 2680 Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt8085 View Post

Has ANYONE been able to get passthrough to work?

Yes, however it is a PITA switching the audio from the receiver to the TV. Works on every HDMI input, Roku, DirecTV HR-23, Oppo DV983h, Panny DMP-BDT210.
post #750 of 2680 Old 11-23-2011, 07:02 PM

I just bought a Pioneer 1021 and am having a bit of a problem. I bi amped the speakers because the directions seemed to recommend this. I hooked it up all right I think, removed the metal plates and all I get is sound out of the tweeter I think. The sound is awful. Is it not worth it to bi amp? Or what am I doing wrong?
Speakers are jbl e100

Thanks for any help and sorry to hijack the thread.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page