post #61 of 2675 Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Allen View Post

. Needless to say the sound of the VSX is not in the same league. However the VSX does sound worlds better then the Sony ES receiver it is replacing. The Sony was basically unlistenable to me when playing 2 channel stereo, background listening only. Not so with the VSX-1021, I think a large part of this is due to the simplicity of the Ice Module amps and something Pioneer calls PQLS, which is a re-clocking feature of the digital signal just before the conversion to analog.

??????????????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2675 Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Liked: 10
BTW, gamecox2001, your last post was the 1,000,000th in the Receivers forum. I saw it when I posted a new thread and saw it was the 1,000,001st. I took a couple screencaps. :P

http://imgur.com/a/zawvU
post #63 of 2675 Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM

So what does he get a free defective VSX-1021-K for being the 1,000,000th post?

Seriously... just picked up a VSX-1021 at BB on Sat. Have unboxed but not hooked up yet. If anyone has any news... let us know. I'll try to research this a bit tonight.
post #64 of 2675 Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM

Yeah, what do I win !!!

FYI- I just received a email back from Pioneer Customer Service

"No Recall has been placed on this product"
Kathy
Customer Service Representative

Amazon said release date was 4/15 now it says 4/29

So who knows what's really going on ?????
post #65 of 2675 Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecox2001 View Post

Yeah, what do I win !!!

Kathy

I spoke to Customer Support who said there was a recall of the initial shipment. It's hard to say what that was. It does seem this is in short supply.
post #66 of 2675 Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 PM

I got my new 1021 K this weekend from BB in NYC. I concur with almost every comment in the thread, but I thought I did get digital audio out to Zone 2. I was under the impression I was listening to a movie's audio out in the yard. The audio was sourced from HDMI.

I'll check again.

But that's not my main point. My issues is that I can't get video out of my iPhone and into the Receiver. The supplied cable supposedly does that (albeit at poor quality). But it doesn't work with my iPhone 3GS.

I know that iPhone video out requires a special cable (where Apple takes a vig on the price -- making them more expensive). iPod video out cables don't require paying the Apple tax.

Is it possible Pioneer included the cheaper cable? If that is so, they misrepresented the Receiver's capabilities in their marketing materials.

Not a deal-killer, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
post #67 of 2675 Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Does anyone know if this receiver overlays volume as part of the OSD on the hdmi output? I've looked everywhere and haven't been able to find any info on this.
post #68 of 2675 Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
??????????????????????
Yeah, his first post (even though he's a 30 year audiophile with a $100k system) and a GLOWING report... I'm sensing a plant here myself.
post #69 of 2675 Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Does anybody know what 'Error 7' is? I can't seem to update my firmware, I consistently get this error.
post #70 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinginFriar View Post

Does anyone know if this receiver overlays volume as part of the OSD on the hdmi output? I've looked everywhere and haven't been able to find any info on this.

Mine does not.

This rumored recall has me rattled. I haven't spent enough time with it to notice any glitches...but if BB has a 30 day return, I may need to do that toward the end of the month to be safe. What are other folks going to do?

It's worked well for me so far...all I did have to turn off Kuro Link (Control via HDMI) to make it work with the Harmony One remote. Control via Ipad is surprisingly useful and cool to me. I like it so far.

Ken
post #71 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 AM

I am going to sit tight and see how this plays out. I ordered on amazon and it's been in the box for about a week. I'm moving soon so I haven't unpacked it yet. Hopefully pioneer will be a little more forthcoming with information.
post #72 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 AM

If you turn off the "Control-Via-HDMI" the ARC doesn't work.

I drove myself crazy last night until I figured that out.

And for some odd reason intermittently I can't assign an HDMI input to the TV/Sat input. It's not a big deal, but to Ken's point it does have me rattled. It could be some other setting stepping on it. There's a lot of settings.

And when I bought it at BB in Union Square in NYC they didn't have any on display. I talked to a salesperson and he said that "for some reason there's a stack of them downstairs." Could he have raided the "return to Pioneer" pile.

FYI: I have done the firmware update.
post #73 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Now that I've set it up once, it will take a lot less time to set up a replacement...Hope they sort this out in the next 30 days.
post #74 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrabiit View Post

And for some odd reason intermittently I can't assign an HDMI input to the TV/Sat input. It's not a big deal, but to Ken's point it does have me rattled. It could be some other setting stepping on it. There's a lot of settings.

if you have hdmi control turned on, you cannot assign hdmi inputs...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #75 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrabiit View Post

And when I bought it at BB in Union Square in NYC they didn't have any on display. I talked to a salesperson and he said that "for some reason there's a stack of them downstairs." Could he have raided the "return to Pioneer" pile.

FYI: I have done the firmware update.

Must admit this recall deal has me worried. I purchased mine at bestbuy and no one there seemed to have any concept of the recall.

It would seem to me that a recall suggests a relatively problematic hardware issue. If it were simply funky firmware, they would release a bulletin on the website. Really wish we had a more definitive story on this issue.
post #76 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Well, from what I've read in this thread maybe the recall is to fix the lousy manual and make setup better, ha.

In all seriousness, thanks all for the reviews and feedback to date. This receiver has me intrigued but I'm going to hold off for a while until the bugs get worked out. I do hope that adding this Air Play feature will challenge Pioneer's competitors to get their similar receivers out there.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #77 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecox2001 View Post

Yeah, what do I win !!!

Kathy

My Amazon order still says it will be delivered on 4/19 (with prime) so that puts a release date of around 4/15 still.
post #78 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Here is the response I just received from Pioneer on this issue. Take it for what it's worth. Let's keep an eye out for that update.

================================
Hi Tim,

There is not a recall on this model. However, there will be a downloadable firmware update available to consumers through our website shortly.

I would suggest checking our site for the available update by the end of this week.

Thank You,

Luisa
post #79 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 06:10 PM

Excuse the stupid question guys...

Will the (2011) 1021 pass audio and video to the TV if the receiver is turned off? This is of course routing all my a/v signals into the receiver and using one hdmi output cable to the TV.

Also trying to find info on the 1121 - anyone heard if it will be worth waiting for that?

Thanks!
post #80 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 06:25 PM

Not a stupid question. I'm sitting here trying to figure that out right now.... however my wife decides she has to watch NCIS on this TV.... so I can't mess with it. I will say... this receiver sounds amazing in Dolby PLIIx Movie setting on my PSBs.
post #81 of 2675 Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrojan View Post

Does anybody know what 'Error 7' is? I can't seem to update my firmware, I consistently get this error.

Same here shows 5% then fails with "UPDATE ERROR 7"
post #82 of 2675 Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronus130 View Post

Same here shows 5% then fails with "UPDATE ERROR 7"

Please let me know if you find out what this is or how to fix it. I can't seem to find a way and email support is telling me to call a helpline. I waited for 20 minutes on the line before I had to give up and get back to work.
post #83 of 2675 Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Here's response I got:

The listed unit is not recalled. Our Engineers found the unit has an internal glitch in which performing the firmware update corrects the issue. You can go to our website in which it will provide instructions for you to do the firmware update.

Thank You,

Kimberly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfake613 View Post

Here is the response I just received from Pioneer on this issue. Take it for what it's worth. Let's keep an eye out for that update.

================================
Hi Tim,

There is not a recall on this model. However, there will be a downloadable firmware update available to consumers through our website shortly.

I would suggest checking our site for the available update by the end of this week.

Thank You,

Luisa

post #84 of 2675 Old 04-13-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Interesting. One firmware to fix a glitch that causes another glitch when you try to fix the first one. You'd think they'd try their fixes out on their own products first.
post #85 of 2675 Old 04-13-2011, 02:55 PM

I ordered one yesterday ( 4/12) from Best Buy online for in store pickup, got to the store and was told that they have two in stock and can not sell them to the public, There were told to pull them by Pioneer the day before they arrived, They had to pull there demo unit also.

The stores were supposed to pull them all, some stores did not do that, in fact do a search for in store pick and use the zip code 75035 and you will see there shows stores with stock even thought you can not pick them up when you get to the store, the price ( SKU) was changed to $10,000 in the system so no one could sell one by accident.

They then showed me the memo from there system. They said there needs to be a firmware update and that it could not be done via the internet, if it was it cause more issues. so the units had to be sent back to Pioneer.

There were two on order in there system that were being shipped and when they came in I could pick one up.

For my trouble they sold me a NEW VSX-33 ( being discontinued on 4/30) at a price too low to mention and then gave me in writing that I could return it and get the VSX-1021 when it came it no matter how long that was ( ie over 30 days)

The 33 is still in the box need to set it up tonight even though its a Elite it seems that the 1021 does more features.

Maybe they will announce the new Elite models soon.

I post up if they call back before two weeks.

DP
post #86 of 2675 Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 PM

From the Pioneer website today. Updated 04/13/2011

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...K?tab=firmware

- Fixes audio noise or no sound under certain conditions.

Ver. 1-151-081-111-031

This required firmware update fixes a DSP software bug found in the Pioneer VSX-1021-K AV Receiver. When the receiver is connected to a 5.1 channel system (no surround back speakers) and a particular configuration of audio source and surround sound mode is used, the receiver may emit unwanted noise. If your unit does not have the above firmware version, the update should be installed regardless of the speaker setup.

Not all units need this update. There are two methods to determine if the unit already has this firmware version:

If there is a black O next to the serial number on the outside of the packing box, your unit is current and no update is required.

Check the unit's current firmware version.
Press the RECEIVER power button to switch the unit on.
Press the button and then the "Home Menu" button.
From the "Home Menu" screen, select System Setup and press the ENTER button.
Select "Other Setup" and press ENTER.
Select "Software Update" and press ENTER.
Select "Check the version" and press ENTER.
The current firmware version will be displayed on the TV screen and front panel display. If the firmware is not Ver. 1-151-081-111-031, you need to install the update.
If you need to install the update, click here to go to the update page.
post #87 of 2675 Old 04-13-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPinTX View Post

From the Pioneer website today. Updated 04/13/2011

- Fixes audio noise or no sound under certain conditions.

Ver. 1-151-081-111-031

This required firmware update fixes a DSP software bug found in the Pioneer VSX-1021-K AV Receiver. When the receiver is connected to a 5.1 channel system (no surround back speakers) and a particular configuration of audio source and surround sound mode is used, the receiver may emit unwanted noise. If your unit does not have the above firmware version, the update should be installed regardless of the speaker setup.

Not all units need this update. There are two methods to determine if the unit already has this firmware version:

If there is a black O next to the serial number on the outside of the packing box, your unit is current and no update is required.

Check the unit's current firmware version.
Press the RECEIVER power button to switch the unit on.
Press the button and then the "Home Menu" button.
From the "Home Menu" screen, select System Setup and press the ENTER button.
Select "Other Setup" and press ENTER.
Select "Software Update" and press ENTER.
Select "Check the version" and press ENTER.
The current firmware version will be displayed on the TV screen and front panel display. If the firmware is not Ver. 1-151-081-111-031, you need to install the update.
If you need to install the update, click here to go to the update page.

Firmware link is not working here is the direct link:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...1081111031.zip
post #88 of 2675 Old 04-13-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPinTX View Post

I ordered one yesterday ( 4/12) from Best Buy online for in store pickup, got to the store and was told that they have two in stock and can not sell them to the public, There were told to pull them by Pioneer the day before they arrived, They had to pull there demo unit also.

The stores were supposed to pull them all, some stores did not do that, in fact do a search for in store pick and use the zip code 75035 and you will see there shows stores with stock even thought you can not pick them up when you get to the store, the price ( SKU) was changed to $10,000 in the system so no one could sell one by accident.

They then showed me the memo from there system. They said there needs to be a firmware update and that it could not be done via the internet, if it was it cause more issues. so the units had to be sent back to Pioneer.

There were two on order in there system that were being shipped and when they came in I could pick one up.

For my trouble they sold me a NEW VSX-33 ( being discontinued on 4/30) at a price too low to mention and then gave me in writing that I could return it and get the VSX-1021 when it came it no matter how long that was ( ie over 30 days)

The 33 is still in the box need to set it up tonight even though its a Elite it seems that the 1021 does more features.

Maybe they will announce the new Elite models soon.

I post up if they call back before two weeks.

DP

So I guess if the firmware update went throughout with issue, we're ok?
post #89 of 2675 Old 04-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrojan View Post

Please let me know if you find out what this is or how to fix it. I can't seem to find a way and email support is telling me to call a helpline. I waited for 20 minutes on the line before I had to give up and get back to work.

Just ran the firmware update from USB and it worked fine.
post #90 of 2675 Old 04-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi Everyone,

I have read some posts here on the forum about the VSX-1021 being recalled by Pioneer. Just wanted to let everyone know that there is no recall. We discovered a bug in the DSP audio firmware that can cause unwanted noise when a particular speaker layout is used along with a type of source and a particular DSP mode is chosen. We are updating the firmware of models that are currently at retailers. If you have already purchased a VSX-1021, we ask you to update the firmware using the internet update feature (should be up soon), download the new firmware and update via USB (up now), or call Pioneer Customer Service at 800-421-1404 and request an update kit (USB flash drive with the new firmware, should be available on Monday) to be sent to you at no cost.

Here is a link to the product page where the firmware can be downloaded.

Once again, there is no product recall and no safety concern.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page