1Likes

post #1171 of 2696 Old 01-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

Old phono cartridges have very low output and require a preamp to bring it up to line level (normal output of tape player, DVD player, etc.). Older amps with phono in have the preamp built in on that input. All you can do is add an external preamp between the turntable & 1021.

This has been discussed in this forum before. The volume range of the 1021 is -80db to +12db. 0 isn't max volume. If you are talking -7 or -8db that's normal & you still have plenty in reserve. If you are talking about +7 or +8, thats another story.

Yes, running a DLNA server on the laptop will allow you to play music on your laptop over your home network.

Thank you so, so much for your detailed reply. It was very helpful.

Is there a simple set of instructions on how to stream the audio from my laptop to the receiver?

Can I boost the internal volume level of just one of the inputs on the receiver (i.e. just the DVD input)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2696 Old 01-01-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaccio View Post

Is there a simple set of instructions on how to stream the audio from my laptop to the receiver?

Can I boost the internal volume level of just one of the inputs on the receiver (i.e. just the DVD input)?

You can't trim the individual input levels on the 1021. That feature does exist on some receivers, but not this one.

To be clear, you *must* get a phono preamp to use a turntable with this receiver. The preamp not only boosts the level, but applies the compensatory equalization curve with which all vinyl records are mastered. Without this, records will sound shrill and lack bass. Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization.

If you have installed and are running Windows Media Player on your laptop it's possible it will already show up on the 1021 as an available source in the HMG on the Pioneer. Or you could install a free DLNA client like TVersity to handle streaming. Basically, as long as your computer and the Pioneer are on the same network, can be nearly automatic. Make sure the computer's sharing is on.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1173 of 2696 Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaccio View Post

You should also look into the Airfoil software. Airfoil allows you to push audio stream over the Airplay protocol from your computer to the receiver. DNLA, in contrast, allows you to pull audio files from your computer to the receiver.
post #1174 of 2696 Old 01-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb8888 View Post

So I can't figure out AirPlay.... How do we get to that step? Then I can play pandora.

One thing I stumbled on with the iPad I have is after you make sure everything on the network is set up right (see response from apulct). You can either double tap the home key, then move the lower icons to the right which gives you the iPod controls. There should be an icon there that resembles a rectangle with an arrow pointing up, almost an eject button. If you press that, you should get a choice of audio playing to the iPad or the receiver.

You can also open up the iPod app and do the same thing there.
post #1175 of 2696 Old 01-01-2012, 04:43 PM

Now my question.

Is there a way to have the receiver play the Airplay content but leave the video alone and send it on to the TV? I love the airplay functionality, iPad and the Pandora app. But I would really love it if I could have the video separated from the audio. In other words, to have my SA 4250 HDMI connection to the receiver continue to pump the picture into the TV. I'm pretty sure I can't run both HDMI and component out of the 4250HD else I would switch the TV to component to get the picture. With the receiver switching to H.M.G, I lose my video. I have a harmony remote so activating many connections/devices is not an issue.
post #1176 of 2696 Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJake View Post

Figured what out? I thought we were sinking in the same HDMI passthru boat?

Oh yea I gave up on that one...I had a dumb surround sound question that was nothing0. I didn't see all my speakers coming up and wasn't sure why, the source (channel) Wasn't HD and wasn't putting out digital signal.
post #1177 of 2696 Old 01-01-2012, 11:19 PM

Allen, if I may impose upon you once more, do I need to connect the cable box to the AVR via digital optical (in addition to HDMI) to get digital surround?
post #1178 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 AM

Has anyone figured out if it is possible to have different Video and Audio outputs at the same time E.G. play a video game and listen to Ipod at the same time?

Please let me know if you have figured this out, Thanks!
post #1179 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfromIL View Post

Allen, if I may impose upon you once more, do I need to connect the cable box to the AVR via digital optical (in addition to HDMI) to get digital surround?

Adam, each cable box is different so I'll answer you most likely will get surround sound via the HDMI cable. You will know very quickly, don't connect the optical & play an HD channel from the cable box. If the display says Dolby Digital, you know you have surround sound

My setup:
Moto DCT6416 Cable Box ---HDMI---> 1021 ---HDMI---> Sharp 60LE832U TV
Sony BDP-BX2 Blu-ray ------HDMI---> 1021 ---HDMI---> TV
TV ----TOSLINK----> 1021*.

*The reason for the optical back from the TV to the AVR is to play audio from internet TV & OTA via the 1021. I have HDMI control turned off in the TV and have problems getting ARC to work reliably. Never use the optical back for audio coming into the TV via HDMI - most TVs can't pass surround sound from HDMI to optical out.

Allen
post #1180 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 AM

Thanks, Allen. I have the Moto DCX3400M, but your suggested test sounds easy enough. I am glad you posted your setup. Do I need a separate HDMI from the AVR to the TV for each component? You have your cable box and your Blue Ray player to the AVR, and then a separate HDMI for each from the AVR to the TV, right? Would this also be true for X-Box? I know I asked to impose upon you only more, but I didn't really mean it. :-)
post #1181 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Do I need a separate HDMI from the AVR to the TV for each component

Hi adamfromIL, no just need one HDMI out to tv.

Moto DCT6416 Cable Box ---HDMI---> 1021 ---HDMI----> Sharp 60LE832U TV
Sony BDP-BX2 Blu-ray ------HDMI---> 1021 ---HDMI--^
post #1182 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

Correct, if you get AirPlay working you can play Pandora.

1. Is your network setup? See OP manual pg 66.
2. Turn on Network Standby. This will allow you to start AirPlay even if the AVR is in standby mode.
3. Be sure the AVR and iOS device (or iTunes computer) is on the same subnet.
4. You should be able to see your AVR from iControlAV2, can you?
5. If all is good to go and you still don't have the AirPlay icon, try rebooting your router. Sometimes this will give it the kick to get bonjour working.

I think I follow but when you say "start Airplay" I don't know where/how ?? Sorry to be so brainless, but I'm guessing the answer is right in front of me??
post #1183 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Bought the unit new in September. I have the 1121 though. 2 months ago I lost sound from my DVR. After troubleshooting I figured out the HDMI port was not working right. Since there are so many ports I just used another one. Now today I get a loud POP and no sound..another port has died. Tried 2 others and they don't work either. I get a normal picture and the receiver shows Dolby Digital etc but all you hear is a loud POP. So now I have 2 of 6 ports on the back that are working right. Time for service I guess. Not very happy with the QC on this thing! Talked to service center and he said either all should work or none...but it's not the case. Hmmmm. Plus 2 to 3 weeks before they can even look at it, plus another week or 2 for parts. This sucks. EDIT: Using the system reset in the manual as suggested by the repair guy fixed it for now. He said the IC's get locked up sometimes. He said usually if one port fails they will all fail if it's hardware related.
post #1184 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks, Allen. I have the Moto DCX3400M, but your suggested test sounds easy enough. I am glad you posted your setup. Do I need a separate HDMI from the AVR to the TV for each component? You have your cable box and your Blue Ray player to the AVR, and then a separate HDMI for each from the AVR to the TV, right? Would this also be true for X-Box? I know I asked to impose upon you only more, but I didn't really mean it. :-)

JChin's diagram is correct. You need an HDMI cable for each input to the 1021 then only 1 from the 1021's output to the TV. Since your 3400M is newer than my Moto STB, audio over HDMI should work fine for you. Be sure to turn off video processing in the 1021, you don't want to introduce video lag for your xbox gaming.

Allen
post #1185 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb8888 View Post

I think I follow but when you say "start Airplay" I don't know where/how ?? Sorry to be so brainless, but I'm guessing the answer is right in front of me??

You start AirPlay from iTunes or your iOS device. The AirPlay icon looks like a rectangle with a solid triangle through the bottom side. See here: http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airplay.html and FTJoe's post.

Allen
post #1186 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Allen, I know I am being dense, so I apologize in advance. Is it that the TV is supplying the source for internet TV and OTA (as opposed to the cable box) so you have to send that signal from the TV to the AVR to get that sound from your HT speakers? If so, can that be done by HDMI instead of TOSLINK? Perhaps this was your final point in your last reply, but my sense is that was a different point.
post #1187 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Allen, I know I am being dense, so I apologize in advance. Is it that the TV is supplying the source for internet TV and OTA (as opposed to the cable box) so you have to send that signal from the TV to the AVR to get that sound from your HT speakers? If so, can that be done by HDMI instead of TOSLINK? Perhaps this was your final point in your last reply, but my sense is that was a different point.

My cable box (yours too, I think) will record 2 HD shows at once or play 1 and record another. Anyway, it has two tuners so can do two shows at any time. Sometimes we want to watch a third "live" while recording 2 on the DVR. I do this by splitting my cable, sending it to the cable box and directly to the TV. That way the DVR records on both tuners and I play "live" TV off the cable using the TV's QAM tuner ... then send the audio back to the 1021 via TOSLINK. It's a "Smart" TV, I can stream Netfilx, etc. directly to it again sending the audio via TOSLINK. You should be able to use the ARC function of HDMI instead of TOSLINK but I have had problems with it. As I posted, having HDMI control turned off in the TV, ARC has not been reliable. Easiest solution was to add the optical cable.

Allen
post #1188 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 PM

In case people still have not solved the error code b27102 on the av2 app.
I made a thread over on the "remote control area" section of this forum.
post #1189 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 PM

I just got the VSX-1021 and use a Harmony One Remote. Has anyone figured out if there are direct commands to change the audio parameters to HDMI and to THROUGH? I want to set up Activities that use the surround or that don't, and don't want my wife to have to go through the settings to change the Audio Parameters.
post #1190 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one of these. My wife likes using the listen again feature from many radio stations. Does anyone know if the 1021 can do this at all?

Also has anyone used the zone 2 function, does it work well?

Nick
post #1191 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Hey folks, I just got the vsx_1021-k for x-mas and everything is going well, except... When I first power on the AVR it switches from whatever it was on (say Video1, DVD, etc) to TV/Sat. I get ~5 sec of audio and video and then it switches to TV/Sat and the speakers turn off. If I then switch back to, say Video1, the video comes through, but the speakers don't switch back on. Anyone know what I need to do to fix this? Firmware is up to date. If this has already been answered, just point me to the thread. Thanks!
post #1192 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by darhan View Post

Hey folks, I just got the vsx_1021-k for x-mas and everything is going well, except... When I first power on the AVR it switches from whatever it was on (say Video1, DVD, etc) to TV/Sat. I get ~5 sec of audio and video and then it switches to TV/Sat and the speakers turn off. If I then switch back to, say Video1, the video comes through, but the speakers don't switch back on. Anyone know what I need to do to fix this? Firmware is up to date. If this has already been answered, just point me to the thread. Thanks!

Hi darhan, on the receiver try turning off Kuro Link (HDMI Control).

Should find this by going into System Setup -> Other Setup -> Kuro Link Setup
post #1193 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM

JChin,

I just tried turning off HDMI Control (under System Setup -> HDMI setup -> HDMI control to off) this actually made things worse. Now I don't get any sound as the speakers don't switch on, but at least things stay on Video1 when I power on.
post #1194 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darhan View Post

JChin,

I just tried turning off HDMI Control (under System Setup -> HDMI setup -> HDMI control to off) this actually made things worse. Now I don't get any sound as the speakers don't switch on, but at least things stay on Video1 when I power on.

Are you sure you have something hooked up to video 1?
post #1195 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Okay I got it figured out with the help of JChin and the manual. I turned off HDMI control and then had to go through the audio parameter settings to make sure that HDMI was set to "AMP" (somehow it was set to "Through") Once I made those changes things are working as I'd like. Thanks for the help!
post #1196 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Hey guys Im new to the forum and Just got my 1021 a few days ago. Im having a few issues with the HDMI pass through working (audio and video coming from tv speakers when avr is off):

Ok So I connected my device in the following order: Cable box----->logitech revue via hdmi---->logitech revue---->1021 via hdmi to hdmi 1--->1021 to sony kdl-46nx720 via hdmi. When I do this I can only get picture and audio from speakers on receiver only when the receiver is on but once I turn off receiver i get no picture and audio on tv. The Tv has HDMI control on and so does the receiver.

What I had to do was connect my logitech revue--->tv via hdmi and then connect optical cable for audio to receiver. So WHAT DO I have to do TO GET THIS HDMI PASS THROUGH TO WORK THE REGULAR WAY?!?!? IM FRUSTRATED WITH THIS feature working the way it should. Any help?

BTW: Ive got a harmony one remote and I know everyone here has energy speakers but I went with an acoustimass 6 from Bose.

I also have another issue where I put on an hd channel but it only shoes the 2 front speakers broadcasting sound on the front panel of the receiver.
post #1197 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:

BTW: Ive got a harmony one remote and I know everyone here has energy speakers but I went with an acoustimass 6 from Bose.

As long as you're happy that is all that matters.

Afro GT
post #1198 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM

LOL I am, I cant get 5.1 sound from the receiver.
post #1199 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM

How viable is Full Auto MCACC?

What I'm trying to figure out is should I rely on Full Auto MCACC or will I be able to achieve better sound quality by configuring everything manually?

I do not have any equipment (microphones, SPL meters, etc.).
post #1200 of 2696 Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaez12 View Post

LOL I am, I cant get 5.1 sound from the receiver.

Is the optical to the AVR connected to the TV or cable box (or revue)? Most TVs can't send 5.1 from an HDMI input out via the digital output. If you want to connect directly to the TV then run optical from the cable box or revue to the AVR.

Allen
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page