Pioneer VSX-1021 Owners' Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 2680 Old 04-16-2011, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A question for the gentleman using the linksys bridge router. I am fairly new to this.
Does the bridge plug into your main router? Can you explain a little more or pm me. Can you use any bridge router or is the linksys the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2680 Old 04-16-2011, 09:38 PM

I am deciding between this receiver and the den on 3312 that just got announced. The 3312 is a lot more money at 999 and dies not seem to have the same iPad experience which I like.

My question is. I currently have a home theater room, zone 1. Kitchen zone 2. And outside deck zone 3. Will the is receiver support all 3 zones. I be,dice the Denon will.
post #123 of 2680 Old 04-17-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj1 View Post

A question for the gentleman using the linksys bridge router. I am fairly new to this.
Does the bridge plug into your main router? Can you explain a little more or pm me. Can you use any bridge router or is the linksys the best.

Chris,

Fyi, I first used a Netgear Ethernet power line adapter that worked fine until the air conditioning kicked on and there was a powersurge which would knock out the adapter. It would take awhile to get the power line adapter up and running. This problem may be related to the fact that my house and electrical infrastructure is old. This solution may work for you, and yes you do need to hook up one unit to your Ethernet adapter. The power line adapter cost about $130. A better solution for me turned out to be a Netgear Universal Wireless Internet Adapter--wnce2001. You need to configure the adapter on your computer, and after that, you connect it to the vsx-1021. Tis is a sinlge-piece solution--you do not plug anything into the router. This cost me about $60 and so far it works like a charm. One thing--if you get this unit, go to Netgear online and follow the instructions on the online manual--not the shorter manual that comes with the unit.

--mark
post #124 of 2680 Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

(deleted post)

did not see post#100 from Chris Walker explaining this. Just went to BBY and said receiver was "recalled" - now I know why.
post #125 of 2680 Old 04-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I purchased this receiver Thursday from Best Buy. It's being used in my master bedroom with Energy 5.1 Take Classic speakers. My receiver in the living room is a Sony STR DA-5400ES, one of Sony's top of the line receivers from a few years ago ($1000+). Compared to the Sony, this receiver is holding it's own. The sound is excellent and the iPad experience is way too cool, they have really done a nice job.

Currently I have an HTPC and a SqueezeBox Duet connected to the 1021. I found this thread searching for a way to listen to music from the SqueezeBox while viewing the HDMI video signal from the HTPC. I discovered the post about the "Signal Sel" button on the remote and all is good now. However, in my opinion, the ability to select a video source and an audio source is a very basic function of a receiver and Pioneer should make this more discoverable. At a minimum, it should be available in the input edit screen.

I have tried all functions/features of the receiver and all have worked well for me. I see absolutely no video artifacts vs. my Sony receiver as a few others have mentioned.

Not sure if others have seen this, but I have to reboot my iPad often to get the iControlAV2 app to reconnect to the receiver even though I can ping the receivers IP address and it is definitely on the the network and accessible from other devices. Also, when I use the iPad app to the turn the receiver off, the app immediately displays an error and I must turn the receiver back on using the remote. THEN, I discovered the Network Standby setting in the Network Setup section. This is off by default, but after turning it on, the iPad app stays connected when the receiver is turned off and I can use the app to turn the receiver again. We'll see if this helps with the frequent iPad restarts. Seems like ON would have been a better default value for this setting.

The absence of the volume indicator output to video is missed. Also, the 1021's OSD disconnects the current HDMI signal to display the menu. The Sony displayed the menu overlayed on top of the current video signal. I know the 1021 is dropping the current HDMI signal because my HTPC is dual monitor and when displaying the menu the desktop switches to the second display.

Those are my only minor complaints. For the price and feature set, I am very happy with the purchase. I hope Pioneer adds more functionality to the iPad app in the future.
post #126 of 2680 Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 PM

So far I'm pretty happy with this receiver, functionality-wise, but when listening to music streamed from iTunes I feel like my Onkyo TX Sr705 did a better job at expanding the stereo to all channels and/or it just sounded better.

I do love having the AirPlay baked in, controlling actual volume straight from iTunes and being able to turn it on from iTunes is pretty nice. Now when I wake up on weekends I can grab my iPad off the night stand, turn on the receiver, and play anything off my laptop downstairs, and fill my loft with music before even getting out of bed.
post #127 of 2680 Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snejenka View Post

Now when I wake up on weekends I can grab my iPad off the night stand, turn on the receiver, and play anything off my laptop downstairs, and fill my loft with music before even getting out of bed.

You gotta love that!
post #128 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Hey folks. Would really appreciate if anyone knew the answer to the following 2 questions. As you can probably tell from the questions, am a relative noob.

1) Does anybody anticipate problems using HP ex 495 media server as main source for itunes library connected wired or wirelessly to the vsx 1021 and then using the ipad to direct the music where I want (eg kitchen, outdoors, living room)?

2) As someone asked before, what is the total # of zones/speakers I can set up ( 2 channel stereo format). No video. Wanting to use this receiver to provide audio for the main floor. Sound quality is not paramount as this would mainly be used for ambient music or radio. Looking at the back panel, I see a set of speaker inputs labelled "front height/wide" - what does that mean? Can you A/B switch from the ipad.

Sorry for all the questions, but any thoughts greatly appreciated before I take the plunge.
post #129 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 AM

So far I really like the receiver, especially compared to my previous Onkyo. The iPad control app is very nice. I especially like being able to rename the devices and check which ones are active all from the iPad. The volume changes almost instantly for me from the iPad as well. The software that came with the receiver for setup did not even run on my Windows 7 PC so I skipped it entirely.

I control my equipment with a Harmony remote and I had to switch around where the component-1 and one HDMI input was assigned to to be able to switch to inputs from my remote. It has this very odd input system where there is an HDMI button that just cycles through HDMI inputs, but then they have separate buttons for other inputs (including some HDMI) like "DVD", "TV/Sat", and "BD". It doesn't really matter except that if you want to use a 3rd party remote there are some inputs that cannot be switched to directly (Video-1 for example) but I was able to get everything setup so my remote could directly change inputs for all devices in the end (I have a total of 5 inputs). It is worth noting iPad app is able to switch to any input directly.

When I setup the receiver and ran the automatic speaker calibration it warned me twice that my right surround speaker had crossed polarity, but I double checked it at both ends and it was correctly wired. During the test I did not notice any difference in the sound coming from the right surround speaker, nor do I notice any problems with sound from other sources. Could this be a bug or maybe there is a problem with my speaker? Maybe the speaker wire? My firmware is up to date as of yesterday.
post #130 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Further to my earlier comments regarding the supplied IOS cable not delivering video from my iPhone, I am not running the latest firmware on the phone. It could be my problem. I'll upgrade soon.

On another topic...I do have an onscreen display of volume. It flashes annoyingly, but it is on there. I suspect this may have to do with my selection of HDMI control on.
post #131 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
- yes, update your iphone... there was a release of ios that broke all kinds of "apple compatible" devices, which was fixed in a subsequent ios release...

- yes...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #132 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limiter View Post

When I setup the receiver and ran the automatic speaker calibration it warned me twice that my right surround speaker had crossed polarity, but I double checked it at both ends and it was correctly wired. During the test I did not notice any difference in the sound coming from the right surround speaker, nor do I notice any problems with sound from other sources. Could this be a bug or maybe there is a problem with my speaker? Maybe the speaker wire? My firmware is up to date as of yesterday.

I had that same issue, but with my front left and right speakers, and forgot to rerun it after the firmware update. I even switched the cables and ran it and it thought everything was in phase even though clearly I was going black to red and red to black. Shoot I hope I remembered to put them back.
post #133 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrabiit View Post

Further to my earlier comments regarding the supplied IOS cable not delivering video from my iPhone, I am not running the latest firmware on the phone. It could be my problem. I'll upgrade soon.

On another topic...I do have an onscreen display of volume. It flashes annoyingly, but it is on there. I suspect this may have to do with my selection of HDMI control on.

Yeah, that was annoying before I switched things so it wasn't communicating volume changes to my tv.
post #134 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 AM

does anyone know how to play pandora on the pioneer 1021 please help
post #135 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM

I ordered a VSX1021-K from Amazon. Unannounced the order went from being placed and shipped 4/15 to 4/29 so I cancelled it. No one could give me an answer as to why. So best Buy claimed they could get it for me in 3 days. I placed the order and when I called the store the said it was recalled and had no clue when it would be available. All I want is the received? What is so hard? This is no way to win customers. Where can I get one NOW?
post #136 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpioneer View Post

does anyone know how to play pandora on the pioneer 1021 please help

Can't you AirPlay it?
I don't have the receiver, but I know Pandora plays via AirPlay with my apple TV.

EDIT: I just realized that I am assuming you meant from an iphone/ipod - you probably meant just streaming pandora didn't you...
Sorry - just watching this thread for a friend, and thought I could help

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #137 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM

Has anybody been able to get HDMI to pass thru while on standby (powered off)?
post #138 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecox2001 View Post

Has anybody been able to get HDMI to pass thru while on standby (powered off)?

Yes. Works with panasonic plasma.
post #139 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

The only way I know of to play Pandora via airplay is via the ipad or iphone/ipod app. I still haven't taken the time to hook up my 1021 that I've had for a week, but this is how I get pandora via airplay using an ATV2.

It would be great if there was an airplay icon on the pandora website-but I think that'll probably never happen.

DirecTV + Antenna + 3 Locations = 325 feet of quad shield RG6. AARRGGHH!
post #140 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Yes. Works with panasonic plasma.

Not working with my Panasonic plasma. Wish I knew how to fix this.
post #141 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM

I read an article tonight where an executive at Pioneer is quoted as saying Android apps will be developed for this receiver.

"Incidentally, Walker said both of these apps will soon be available for Android phones and tablets."
post #142 of 2680 Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 PM

So here's my problem with the VSX-1021-K. I bought it from Best Buy on Friday. Saturday morning when we woke up, AirPlay wouldn't work. I checked the website and applied the firmware update (we had also experienced the sound loss described in the firmware). Still no Airplay. Thinking the unit defective, I returned it. The next unit, the same thing happened, about a day later, AirPlay wouldn't be recognized. Here's my configuration:

Time Capsule running 7.5.2 firmware.
-> Belkin HD 1000 gigabit Powerline Ethernet adapter. (part 1)
-> Belkin HD 1000 gigabit Powerline Ethernet adapter. (part 2)
-> Linksys 5 port 10/100 switch.
-> VSX-1021-K.

I've isolated it to the powerline ethernet adapters. If I plug in the VSX1021 directly into the Time Capsule, AirPlay works. Is there any reason that powerline ethernet would interfere with AirPlay? It seems the ONLY fix to get airplay back up and running is to:
1) unplug all powerline ethernet adapters
2) on the VSX1021 go to system settings -> network settings -> IP address
3) Plug in the powerline adapters and wait until they have established connection.
4) press OK so that the VSX1021 re-establishes an IP address.
5) Airplay works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy with the receiver which is replacing my Onkyo Sr606 which had a bad HDMI board.
post #143 of 2680 Old 04-19-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admlostsailor View Post

So here's my problem with the VSX-1021-K. I bought it from Best Buy on Friday. Saturday morning when we woke up, AirPlay wouldn't work. I checked the website and applied the firmware update (we had also experienced the sound loss described in the firmware). Still no Airplay. Thinking the unit defective, I returned it. The next unit, the same thing happened, about a day later, AirPlay wouldn't be recognized. Here's my configuration:

Time Capsule running 7.5.2 firmware.
-> Belkin HD 1000 gigabit Powerline Ethernet adapter. (part 1)
-> Belkin HD 1000 gigabit Powerline Ethernet adapter. (part 2)
-> Linksys 5 port 10/100 switch.
-> VSX-1021-K.

I've isolated it to the powerline ethernet adapters. If I plug in the VSX1021 directly into the Time Capsule, AirPlay works. Is there any reason that powerline ethernet would interfere with AirPlay? It seems the ONLY fix to get airplay back up and running is to:
1) unplug all powerline ethernet adapters
2) on the VSX1021 go to system settings -> network settings -> IP address
3) Plug in the powerline adapters and wait until they have established connection.
4) press OK so that the VSX1021 re-establishes an IP address.
5) Airplay works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy with the receiver which is replacing my Onkyo Sr606 which had a bad HDMI board.

Hmmmm. I hate networking voodoo. I have an Airport Extreme running the latest firmware (should be the same as your time capsule except for the hard drive)> Belkin gigabit ethernet switch > 1021 = works perfectly

I know this might be a dumb question but you are getting a solid Internet connection from everything else you plug in to the same Linksys switch and it's only the 1021 that doesn't seem to work?
post #144 of 2680 Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 AM

I tried out AirPlay yesterday and the first time I used it no audio would play but the title of the song would show up on the receiver display. I messed with speaker config for the Airplay input but in the end shutting the receiver off and turning it back on with the iPhone or iPad worked. Since then it has worked every time.

One thing to note is the volume can be set very high depending on what your last AirPlay setting was so make sure you check the volume level on the iPhone/iPad/iPod as it is connecting.
post #145 of 2680 Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Hmmmm. I hate networking voodoo. I have an Airport Extreme running the latest firmware (should be the same as your time capsule except for the hard drive)> Belkin gigabit ethernet switch > 1021 = works perfectly

I know this might be a dumb question but you are getting a solid Internet connection from everything else you plug in to the same Linksys switch and it's only the 1021 that doesn't seem to work?

agree this sounds like networking gremlins.
post #146 of 2680 Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
just as a "fwiw"...

with other situations, "we" have found that many networking issues go away if you assign a static ip to the device...

ymmv, but it's easy enough for you to try..

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #147 of 2680 Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Yeah it's odd. Only the 1021 appears to be afflicted with these gremlins.
Also on the switch is my PS3, TiVo, and a Slingbox. None of which seem to have a problem (although the PS3 does experience intermittent drop-outs when streaming content from hulu or netflix but I've always chalked those up to the internet itself). Hm. I've also tried assigning a static IP address to the device...Still experience this Airplay drop out. I can stream from internet radio on the 1021 just fine. So odd.

I ordered an airport extreme so that I can extend the network over that way and plug in the 1021 to that and bypass the powerline ethernet. I live in a building built in 1970. it's a 4 unit condo. So odd. Hopefully the extreme will squash these bugs.
Thanks for the help!
post #148 of 2680 Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM

hey guys which is better the elite 31 or the vsx 1021
post #149 of 2680 Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 PM

Chris maybe you should choose your words wisely when commicating with your retailers. I was told they were recalled and the guy at Best buy showed me the communication from Pioneer and I believe it had the words "Recall" in it. The description on the communication was very vague so I believe it left everyone in the dark including the retailer.

His advice was to wait which I did.

FYI retailers and customers aren't stupid just give them the true explanation and guess what you might see that they understand.

Unfortunate decision by Pioneer to "request product return" for a firmware update may scare potential buyers away.
post #150 of 2680 Old 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj1 View Post
I reformatted a router to be a wireless bridge. go to http://www.dd-wrt.com/ for more info, but unless you're fairly computer savvy I wouldn't suggest it as you can brick your router by uploading new firmware.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page