Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 2682 Old 02-14-2012, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWoods450 View Post

Anyone else having trouble using Airplay from an off state? If my whole system is off and I try airplay the receiver says what song is playing but won't play audio, network standby is enabled and the receiver will power on with the activation of airplay but it won't play the audio. If I enable airplay while on another source it works fine. While it's not a huge deal for me, it's bugging the **** out of my wife. Firmware is all up to date. Any ideas?

I'm in the same boat as you. I've had the receiver a week and this happens once a day to me. Most of the time, the receiver will power on when we initialize AirPlay from one of our iPhones, switch to HMG, and start playing from my family's iPhone 4 handsets with no problem; but once a day since we've gotten the receiver a week ago, we have to switch the receiver to another input and then start streaming from our phones again (which re-activates HMG), and then we can hear audio again.

When the audio isn't playing through the receiver, album art shows up on the TV and the track title shows up on the receiver display so the 1021 is clearly receiving data from our phones. Firmware on the receiver is current although I hope this issue can and will be resolved with a future firmware update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2682 Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post

I'm in the same boat as you. I've had the receiver a week and this happens once a day to me. Most of the time, the receiver will power on when we initialize AirPlay from one of our iPhones, switch to HMG, and start playing from my family's iPhone 4 handsets with no problem; but once a day since we've gotten the receiver a week ago, we have to switch the receiver to another input and then start streaming from our phones again (which re-activates HMG), and then we can hear audio again.

When the audio isn't playing through the receiver, album art shows up on the TV and the track title shows up on the receiver display so the 1021 is clearly receiving data from our phones. Firmware on the receiver is current although I hope this issue can and will be resolved with a future firmware update.

For me it's just a small annoyance, but when my wife calls telling me how much she hates the receiver because she has to switch inputs, it then becomes my big problem. I hope they update the firmware soon.
post #1863 of 2682 Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post

Wonder if it's a network glitch, maybe interference causing you to drop packets. Once the receiver gets out of sync with the source a restart may be required. I use AirPlay for hours on end without problems.

Allen
post #1864 of 2682 Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Hey guys, I am new to this thread. Just hooked up my 1021 and have run into an issue I am not sure how to fix. When I am watching a tv show, the audio is in surround sound 5.1 (dolby digital)....if I change the channel, the audio then switches to stereo....I know different channels don't broadcast the same audio but then if I try to go back to the same channel that had the 5.1 surround in dolby digital it remains in stereo.....the only way to get back the 5.1 is to change the input and then change it back to what it was on....

Do I have a setting wrong somewhere??

I tried reading through the thread but didn't really see anything about this...

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
post #1865 of 2682 Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
About ready to order a new receiver to replace an old one, how does this unit do with upscaling? I was also looking at the Onkyo 609. Does this unit use ICE Amp technology similar to there Elites?

Thanks....
post #1866 of 2682 Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

no... the ice amps were exclusive to the sc series... the vsx series are class a/b...

the ice amps in the sc series were retired this year in favor of another class d solution...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1867 of 2682 Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

no... the ice amps were exclusive to the sc series... the vsx series are class a/b...

the ice amps in the sc series were retired this year in favor of another class d solution...

Thank for the info, nice Salk Speakers. I am using Dynaudio in my main system.

What would you suggest in the receiver realm, for now I am just doing a sound bar as this is my 3 system but I also run another pair of speakers in stereo, so I will need a second zone to run those, and eventually when wife isn't around I will wire some speakers for my rear channels.
post #1868 of 2682 Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 AM

can i hookup a Vizio VSB200 HD and also Bose 2.2 speakers to this receiver?

thanks..
post #1869 of 2682 Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Thank for the info, nice Salk Speakers. I am using Dynaudio in my main system.

What would you suggest in the receiver realm, for now I am just doing a sound bar as this is my 3 system but I also run another pair of speakers in stereo, so I will need a second zone to run those, and eventually when wife isn't around I will wire some speakers for my rear channels.

thanks... me likey dyn's as well...

won't be popular to say in this thread, but as a former pioneer ho' and current denon fanboy, i'd buy the denon with the best room correction that fits your budget (should help, even with the soundbar) and has the other features you need... there is an extensive comparison of the current denon models and their features in the 2nd post of the denon xx12 thread...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1870 of 2682 Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetail View Post

can i hookup a Vizio VSB200 HD and also Bose 2.2 speakers to this receiver?

The speakers, sure. The sound bar, from what I know, not so much, and there'd be little point.

The Vizio is designed to take its input directly from the analog or optical output of a TV. It has its own non-bypassable amplifiers. It's really just a powered speaker. You wouldn't be able to use most of the 1021's features.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1871 of 2682 Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 PM

Hi all need some help was wondering anyone can verify for me that this receiver will play AAC 5.1 and AC3 5.1 files natively - by that I mean the receiver will show Dolby digital or whatever format it is?

I just bought a denon 2112ci and found out the AAC only works with stereo. So my receiver just shows stereo and I get nothing out of my back speakers and the only way to get 5.1 was to use dolby pl II cinema
post #1872 of 2682 Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf123 View Post

Hi all need some help was wondering anyone can verify for me that this receiver will play AAC 5.1 and AC3 5.1 files natively - by that I mean the receiver will show Dolby digital or whatever format it is?

I just bought a denon 2112ci and found out the AAC only works with stereo. So my receiver just shows stereo and I get nothing out of my back speakers and the only way to get 5.1 was to use dolby pl II cinema

I have yet to see anything that supports AAC 5.1 natively. And I don't know of anything that allows it to be sent over optical or HDMI as a bitstream either. AAC decoding support is usually there to support music on USB or DLNA, which is dominated by stereo. I know HDMI specifies various DD and DTS formats in addition to LPCM, but I haven't seen any specific info on AAC over HDMI.

AC3 is simply Dolby Digital from DVDs, so my Pioneer from 6 years ago can play it. You will have a problem finding a receiver that can't play AC3 assuming the device actually outputs it raw rather than down mixing it to stereo PCM.

Depending on the source, I'd probably look into something that does live transcoding of AAC 5.1 to AC3 at the source (XBMC, VLC, etc). Or maybe LPCM 5.1.
post #1873 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons17 View Post

Hey guys, I am new to this thread. Just hooked up my 1021 and have run into an issue I am not sure how to fix. When I am watching a tv show, the audio is in surround sound 5.1 (dolby digital)....if I change the channel, the audio then switches to stereo....I know different channels don't broadcast the same audio but then if I try to go back to the same channel that had the 5.1 surround in dolby digital it remains in stereo.....the only way to get back the 5.1 is to change the input and then change it back to what it was on....

Do I have a setting wrong somewhere??

I tried reading through the thread but didn't really see anything about this...

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Make sure you are on AUTOSURROUND. The reciever will pick the best audio output for you.
post #1874 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM

Here's my question, I have a Pioneer VSX-1021-K, Energy Take 5 speakers, and a BIC America F12 subwoofer. The rated frequency responses are as such:

Energy Take 5- 110Hz - 20KHz
BIC F12 - 25Hz - 200Hz.

Using MCACC, my crossover is set at 100Hz. This setting would clearly leave me a hole from 100-110Hz. Should I set the crossover instead to 150Hz? (Why is there no in between setting? Am I missing something?) Can my woofer properly handle signals up to 150Hz? Thanks!
post #1875 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Frequency response doesn't fall off a cliff, it tapers gradually. It's not like the Takes have *no* response between 100 and 120Hz.

Energy says "Set the crossover frequency (if possible) to 100Hz -120Hz." In this case I'd recommend going with that, and after they speakers are broken in (if they're new) just listen carefully for signs of strain in the bass.

No reason you can't try 150, however, and see if low bass localization effects bother you, or it causes any other problems. A 150Hz crossover will obviously reduce the load on your sats and on the AVR.

Every room is different. MCACC may be hearing enough energy in that 100-120Hz range, due to room reinforcement or output from the sub, to be able to get sufficiently flat response with a 100Hz crossover. It's up to you to decide if it's right. Remember, MCACC isn't cranking "Super 8" and listening to the train wreck scene; you are.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1876 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevman17 View Post

Make sure you are on AUTOSURROUND. The reciever will pick the best audio output for you.

Auto surround doesn't convert stereo to surround. At least not to my ears and not according to the manual. When getting a stereo signal, I hit standard surround to get the right effect for the input. The receiver then automatically switches between that effect (like say Dolby PLII Movie) for stereo, and proper surround processing when it detects a surround signal.
post #1877 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Every room is different. MCACC may be hearing enough energy in that 100-120Hz range, due to room reinforcement or output from the sub, to be able to get sufficiently flat response with a 100Hz crossover. It's up to you to decide if it's right. Remember, MCACC isn't cranking "Super 8" and listening to the train wreck scene; you are.

Right, thanks a lot man! I don't notice much bass strain at all, so I think I'm good to go.

Quote:
Auto surround doesn't convert stereo to surround. At least not to my ears and not according to the manual. When getting a stereo signal, I hit standard surround to get the right effect for the input. The receiver then automatically switches between that effect (like say Dolby PLII Movie) for stereo, and proper surround processing when it detects a surround signal.

You are 100% right, my fault.

Edit: I am confused because when I press the STANDARD button, I only get to choose between PCM and STEREO. I used to have the Dolby PL choices . Hmm. Is this something I did wrong? (Why do receivers confuse me more than anything in the world?) I'm running my receiver through an HDMI cable from my HD6950 gpu.
post #1878 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Hi Guys, i live in Chile where we have 220V electricity, does anyone knows if the VSX 1021 works with 200V or if there is a shop in the USA wehre i can buy one.
Im going next May for vacations and im planning to come back with one of these.
I precciate your help.
post #1879 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevman17 View Post

Edit: I am confused because when I press the STANDARD button, I only get to choose between PCM and STEREO. I used to have the Dolby PL choices . Hmm. Is this something I did wrong? (Why do receivers confuse me more than anything in the world?) I'm running my receiver through an HDMI cable from my HD6950 gpu.

Don't worry I figured it out. To bitstream I need to set my Configuration in Windows to Stereo.
post #1880 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Hi,

Sort of an odd question here, hope someone knows the answer.

I'm about to assemble a new HT, and I plan on using my VSX-1021 to feed two monitors, a Panny VT65 and a 26" Vizio (for kids/everyday viewing). I considered a HDMI splitter, but at present I am thinking of just running component as well as HDMI to the receiver from my sources and then using component out to the Vizio.

My question is, do I have to run additional audio to the receiver, or will it take the audio from the also present (but not used for video, in this instance) HDMI?

I'm getting ready to get some better cables from Monoprice, and am wondering if I should get extra audio cables, if required.

Also, since I will have both HDMI and Component outputs, they will both be fed out of the VSX-1021, correct? I seem to remember having an older model VSX, and if the receiver sensed HDMI, it would only send it out the HDMI, even if you had other outputs also.

Thanks
post #1881 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce/Fl View Post

Also, since I will have both HDMI and Component outputs, they will both be fed out of the VSX-1021, correct? I seem to remember having an older model VSX, and if the receiver sensed HDMI, it would only send it out the HDMI, even if you had other outputs also.

This is still the case. HDCP agreements and other fun prevent manufacturers from spitting out 1080p (or anything) over component when it comes from an HDCP-controlled source. So for the most part, your receivers will convert component to HDMI but not the other way around.

The best option is either an HDMI splitter or a receiver with two HDMI outputs. The latter tends to be pricy though.
post #1882 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post

This is still the case. HDCP agreements and other fun prevent manufacturers from spitting out 1080p (or anything) over component when it comes from an HDCP-controlled source. So for the most part, your receivers will convert component to HDMI but not the other way around.

The best option is either an HDMI splitter or a receiver with two HDMI outputs. The latter tends to be pricy though.

We may (or may not) have a communication issue. What I plan to do is feed the receiver with both HDMI and Component. (Like from my DirecTV HR-20) And output both also from the receiver. (HDMI going to the Panny, component to the Vizio) Will the VSX let the component out that comes in from the component? Or will it say "there's a HDMI cable connected to the output, so that is the *only* way I'll let this out?
post #1883 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekel View Post

Hi Guys, i live in Chile where we have 220V electricity, does anyone knows if the VSX 1021 works with 200V or if there is a shop in the USA wehre i can buy one.
Im going next May for vacations and im planning to come back with one of these.
I precciate your help.

I do not see a 110v/220V switch on the back, so it appears to only work on the 110v/120V of the US.
post #1884 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce/Fl View Post

We may (or may not) have a communication issue. What I plan to do is feed the receiver with both HDMI and Component. (Like from my DirecTV HR-20) And output both also from the receiver. (HDMI going to the Panny, component to the Vizio) Will the VSX let the component out that comes in from the component? Or will it say "there's a HDMI cable connected to the output, so that is the *only* way I'll let this out?

Yes, I think there was a communication issue.

From the manual, you can control where component inputs go. I don't know if you can send to both, but I do know you can use component pass-through if you want by turning video conversion off for that input. I'd have to hook up the component cables again to see if video conversion goes to both outputs. I think I tried it but don't remember the result.

EDIT: Here's what the manual says about it.

Quote:

The video converter ensures that all video sources are output through all of the MONITOR VIDEO OUT jacks.

From the rest of the manual, it appears to read such that if you have the converter on, it will output on all the outputs possible for the input. So composite is output on composite, component and HDMI. Component is output on component and HDMI (composite if it is 480i/576i). HDMI is only output on HDMI.

With video conversion off, the input and output is the same (component -> component, composite -> composite).
post #1885 of 2682 Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 PM

How are you guys setting up your microphone to run MCACC? Set on the back of the couch? Set on a book that's set on the back of the couch? Mounted on a tripod? If you use a tripod, where do you place the tripod?

I'm trying to figure out the best thing to put the microphone on and, if that's a tripod, where to place to tripod so it's as close as possible to where the viewer's ears would be.
post #1886 of 2682 Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaccio View Post

How are you guys setting up your microphone to run MCACC? Set on the back of the couch? Set on a book that's set on the back of the couch? Mounted on a tripod? If you use a tripod, where do you place the tripod?

I'm trying to figure out the best thing to put the microphone on and, if that's a tripod, where to place to tripod so it's as close as possible to where the viewer's ears would be.

Book on the back of the couch.
post #1887 of 2682 Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM

Has anyone used a splitter successfully with the 1021-k? I recently upgraded to the 1021-k from a 1018 mainly for the additional hdmi inputs and the 1.4 support but now my monoprice splitter is not working. I have a 50 inch Panasonic plasma and a Mitsubshi hc4000. Thanks in advance.
post #1888 of 2682 Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaccio View Post

On a tripod placed on my seat on the couch ... height adjusted so the microphone is about ear level.

Allen
post #1889 of 2682 Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 PM

OK, I have a dumb question:

So, I just put in a 1021 for my parents and was wondering if there is an easy way to run a set of headphones (for someone that is hard of hearing) with the same signal that is being sent to the speakers from the 1021? Especially if there is digital signal (HDMI) involved.

I was able to "make do" by "sacrificing" zone 2 and running an additional analog line (thank goodness for the PS3's ability to output to HDMI and analog simultaneously) and then programming the zone 2 config into their Harmony remote.

It would just be so much easier if the tape/DVDR outputs would output digital audio, but alas they don't. (Or if the 1021 could send audio via hdmi to the TV - or run the headphone jack - at the same time as running the zone 1 speakers.)

Is there any easy option I'm missing?
post #1890 of 2682 Old 02-18-2012, 06:09 PM

I am having a very hard time getting my 1021k to work with my infocus 4805 and Appletv2 over HDMI.
I tried:
35 foot M1 to HDMI cable with HDMI source----not working
M1 to HDMI adapter -->HDMI extenders(35' cat 5e cable)---- not working

If I connect the avr to an LCD display...Appletv2 works perfectly.
If I connect component cables from the avr to the project...Appletv2 works.
If I connect the appletv2 directly to the projector with M1 to HDMI or with HDMI extenders, appletv2 works perfectly.

I can' t figure out why it will not work with my infocus projector.
I have contacted pioneer tech support and they told me that there is nothing wrong with the avr.

Can someone please help me understand why it won't work?

If I use component cables instead of HDMI from avr to projector, is there a difference in image quality?

Thank you
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page