Pioneer VSX-1021 Owners' Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just getting my VSX-1021-k setup; I have my DVD audio going to the COAX 1, and when I switch to that source, the display says "Analog" until I start a disc, and then it says Digital and plays the audio fine. However, my Airport Express uses an optical toslink cable, which is connected to Optical 2 (which I chose because it's assignable), but when I switch to that source (renamed AEX in setup and assigned to Optiical 2), the display says Analog and stays there, even when I am streaming to the device. I am getting no audio from the stream, so I'm assuming if the receiver is not getting a signal from the AEX. Any ideas what to try?

And no, I haven't even gone near Airplay yet, as I am going slowly here to get all the components I had connected to my VSX-409 up and running before I venture into new waters. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Setting up 5.1 system and need advise for proper settings.

In Wall Fronts: 8"; Theater Solutions TSS8W Symphony Series
In Wall Center: 5.25" x 2 Theater Solutions Center Channel TSLCR5
In Ceiling Rears: 8"; Theater Solutions TSS8C Symphony Series

Sub: RW-12D

My Questions:

MCACC run set fronts, center, and rears to LARGE. Should I change this to small? I was assuming the automatic setup would set all this up in the best fashion, but maybe I am mistaken.

If I leave them set to large, is it advisable to also allow passing of low frequencies to them as well as SUB since they can produce decent base? If so, how is that set up?

The SUB does not have a LFE labeled input, but manual says to connect LFE output to left speaker input. Is there an advantage to split the SUB output from the 1021K and connect to both Left and Right inputs of sub?

This sub has a digital cross over setting. Should it be bypassed or set to off since receiver is managing?

In general, what would the experienced members of this forum do for your setup in this configuration? (other than get rid of in wall and in ceiling speakers )
Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
@ Dante1
The difference between component cables and HDMI is ever so slight. I doubt you'd be able to see any difference unless you have eagle eyes or something.
Can't help you with your other questions though. I hope you find the answer.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks.

I was reading that maybe an HDMI splitter may do the trick
Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrondar View Post

Just getting my VSX-1021-k setup; I have my DVD audio going to the COAX 1, and when I switch to that source, the display says "Analog" until I start a disc, and then it says Digital and plays the audio fine. However, my Airport Express uses an optical toslink cable, which is connected to Optical 2 (which I chose because it's assignable), but when I switch to that source (renamed AEX in setup and assigned to Optiical 2), the display says Analog and stays there, even when I am streaming to the device. I am getting no audio from the stream, so I'm assuming if the receiver is not getting a signal from the AEX. Any ideas what to try?

Try the SIGNAL SEL button on the remote (see OM pg. 36). Set to AUTO, it will select the first available signal in the order HDMI, Digital, then Analog. You can force it to digital by selecting that option.

Allen
Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfca View Post

MCACC run set fronts, center, and rears to LARGE. Should I change this to small? I was assuming the automatic setup would set all this up in the best fashion, but maybe I am mistaken.

All recommendations I have read suggest setting the speakers to SMALL and letting the AVR handle the base management. Even if your speakers are good down to 30 to 35 Hz, your sub will handle the bass better.

Quote:

If I leave them set to large, is it advisable to also allow passing of low frequencies to them as well as SUB since they can produce decent base? If so, how is that set up?

Setting them to LARGE will pass the bass frequencies to the speakers, not to the LFE sub output. The only way I can think of to get bass to both speakers & sub is to connect the sub via the speaker output, not using the AVR's LFE output.

Quote:

The SUB does not have a LFE labeled input, but manual says to connect LFE output to left speaker input. Is there an advantage to split the SUB output from the 1021K and connect to both Left and Right inputs of sub?

This sub has a digital cross over setting. Should it be bypassed or set to off since receiver is managing?

If the manual says to connect the LFE output to the Left Line input of the sub, I would assume that input doubles as the LFE input. Don't split the LFE input, just connect it to the Left Line input.

IMHO, set all speakers to small and crossover to around 80 Hz, let the AVR handle bass management. Since the AVR is handling it, bypass the sub's crossover. Run MCACC with these settings. Tweak to your own preferences.

Allen
Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Thanks Allen for your thoughts and advise.
How do I run MCACC this way? I ran the auto MCACC and thats what set everything to large. So I guess I am asking how to set up all to small, and then how to run MCACC that way?

What are the steps to take in order?

Thanks..Alan
Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

Try the SIGNAL SEL button on the remote (see OM pg. 36). Set to AUTO, it will select the first available signal in the order HDMI, Digital, then Analog. You can force it to digital by selecting that option.

It turned out to be there were two devices assigned to Optical 2. I removed the other, and all is well. Heck, I even have this sucker on the network and it shows up in iTunes for streaming. Now, if I can just figure out why the audio (music from CD and streaming) sounds so "muddy." Not sure how else to describe it, except to say it sounded a lot cleaner coming out of my old VSX-409. I'll keep fiddling till I get it right.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Hi all,

I just picked up a 1021 the other day and have had fun playing around with it so far. My unit's manufacture date is September 2011 and has none of the major issues I have seen discussed in the preceding near 2,000 posts. The only problem I am having that is common among many is with HDMI Pass Through capability, specifically playing my cable box when the 1021 is turned off.

I have followed manual instructions (turning HDMI Control "on", etc,) and those found from others here, and got this far: When turning off the 2021 while watching my cable box, the cable's video signal will remain on and the sound switches to TV's speakers for a few seconds and then both turn-off. During this process, the front face plate's red HDMI light remains on for the few seconds and then turns off as the cable signal does. There is obviously a switching issue going on here.

So, I am almost home! The cable box's video and audio signals are able to pass through -- a major step forward -- but only for a moment. Has anyone been through this and can pass through some advice?

I am close to considering a Y-splitter between my 2021, cable box and TV.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
Well I've had my 1021 for 2 1/2 months and today I went to turn it on and nothing. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and still nothing. A couple times in the past it would just shut itself off for no apparent reason but it would power back up . I guess the power supply took a dump. Anyone know what pioneer does if I don't have a service center near my location?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM

If someone could show me the way, it'd be great. I just did a search for "surround", pages of results, went thru the first 2, no luck.

Just put together the new HT, New Panny Plasma, and VSX-1021. Using old DTV and PS3 slim, for Blu-ray content.

I can't find the setting for getting all the surrounds working. I'm getting nothing out of my rear's, or center (and sub, I assume). I did the MCAAC and they're all there, but for the wifes pleasure, were watching the new Twilight on Bluray. It says it is Dolby Digital 5.1 (Why not the newer lossless modes I have no idea) Anyways, all I am getting are the front left and right.

I tried auto surround, and it simply gives me stereo. What gives?

(And I just know this is probably answered somewhere in here, I just couldn't find it, and the wife says we've wasted enough time, so......)

Thanks all, I really appreciate it. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

And it's PS3 to the receiver on high speed HDMI. PS3 set to go out on HDMI, all modes selected.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 PM

I have good and bad news. The good news is that I had the same issue (maybe even the same time period since I bought it). There is probably a flashing light on the top left of the front display. You can exit this mode by holding the tune down (-) button and multi zone on/off button for two seconds. The unit is in some sort of protection mode which is why it isn't turning on.

When I did this reset, it powered back on, and I got to see smoke rise from inside the unit. And then it went back off. I am now going to get to see how good the warranty is. Best of luck with your problem and hope it turns out better than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1 View Post

Well I've had my 1021 for 2 1/2 months and today I went to turn it on and nothing. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and still nothing. A couple times in the past it would just shut itself off for no apparent reason but it would power back up . I guess the power supply took a dump. Anyone know what pioneer does if I don't have a service center near my location?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce/Fl View Post

Just put together the new HT, New Panny Plasma, and VSX-1021. Using old DTV and PS3 slim, for Blu-ray content.

I can't find the setting for getting all the surrounds working. I'm getting nothing out of my rear's, or center (and sub, I assume). I did the MCAAC and they're all there, but for the wifes pleasure, were watching the new Twilight on Bluray. It says it is Dolby Digital 5.1 (Why not the newer lossless modes I have no idea) Anyways, all I am getting are the front left and right.

I tried auto surround, and it simply gives me stereo. What gives?

And it's PS3 to the receiver on high speed HDMI. PS3 set to go out on HDMI, all modes selected.

Hi Bruce/Fl, check PS3 settings.

In the PS3 XMB, set "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" to Bitstream which is found under Video Settings.
Also make sure to set "Audio Multi-Output" to Off which is found under Sound Settings.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the DTSHD-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froghunter View Post

I have good and bad news. The good news is that I had the same issue (maybe even the same time period since I bought it). There is probably a flashing light on the top left of the front display. You can exit this mode by holding the tune down (-) button and multi zone on/off button for two seconds. The unit is in some sort of protection mode which is why it isn't turning on.

When I did this reset, it powered back on, and I got to see smoke rise from inside the unit. And then it went back off. I am now going to get to see how good the warranty is. Best of luck with your problem and hope it turns out better than mine.

Thanks for the info. No flashing light on my unit but I did try holding down the two buttons you mentioned with no luck. I wish I would have bought the Denon 2112CI now. I'm calling pioneer tomorrow to see what they say.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Bruce/Fl, check PS3 settings.

In the PS3 XMB, set "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" to Bitstream which is found under Video Settings.
Also make sure to set "Audio Multi-Output" to Off which is found under Sound Settings.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the DTSHD-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried that, it didn't work. But after the movie was over, I slipped in another disc (Fantastic Four) and it put out DTS Master HD, as it should have, so I guess it was just that Twilight disc. Heh.

Thanks again. I love this place.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 AM

ChronoMATT,

EXACTLY same here. I also tried everything and the closest I got to HDMI pass-through was EXACTLY the same as you...power off the rcvr and you get the TV saying "Switching Audio to internal spkrs" and then you get 1-3 seconds of it working..then.....LOS (loss of signal)...

My TV is specifically marked with "ARC" on HDMI 1...but it must be a 'different' implementation cause it's a black hole to the 1021. Funny thing though...no matter WHICH HDMI the PS3 is on (rcvr or TV) it will turn everything on and do audio/video pass through...(Sony TV has some kind of incestious thing going on....just kidding...I know it's the Bravia link)...This 'share the love' almost made me take the 1021 back for a Sony rcvr...almost. (see internet / air play apps comment)

I just ran the HDMI from my TW cable box to the TV then optical from TV to the 1021...works but not happy. Here's my setup...

Sony KDL55EX700
|................|
HDMI...........1021
Cable...........HDMI---PS3
|................|
1021............XBOX
optical

This works for what I want it to do....I actually jam in a set of Bose headphones a lot...especially if I want to play XBOX and the house is asleep. I have the bluetooth Sony headphones for the PS3.

I got the killer VSX-521 deal on Woot! for $139 shipped when they had the blowout sale 2 weeks ago. I was going to install it when I said the HE77 with it and bought an open box 1021 at BB for a lot more....but I really like the airplay, internet radio, and the iPad control apps. To me that was worth the $$$ for the upgrade.

I am LOVING sitting on the couch and listening to songs on my network through airplay then jumping over to listen to trance music from Algeria...way cool. Have had NO stutters or drops and I bet I put 3 hours straight on mine as soon as I could get Deadmau5 to load.

So...everyone...I am picking my speakers and I usually stay 'in brand'...I am tone deaf so I don't need $1000 reference speakers...here's what I have snagged so far for a inexpensive 5.1 system...(under $200)

1x Pioneer SW-8 Powered Sub (NE sale last week for $79)
4x Pioneer SP-BS21 (NE sale last week for $49 per pair)

I might pick up a pair of Pioneer SP-FS51 floor speakers and replace the front BS21's. Not because they suck but because I like the 'old school' look of the floor standing ones...

What I need help with is...my center channel...I HATE the size and roundness of the Pioneer SP-C21...YECH!....

Anyone have suggestions?

Pics to follow...I know the rules...no pics-no happen...

thanks!

Undrpsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoMATT View Post

Hi all,
I just picked up a 1021 the other day The only problem I am having that is common among many is with HDMI Pass Through capability, specifically playing my cable box when the 1021 is turned off.
I have followed manual instructions (turning HDMI Control "on", etc,) and those found from others here, and got this far: When turning off the 2021 while watching my cable box, the cable's video signal will remain on and the sound switches to TV's speakers for a few seconds and then both turn-off. During this process, the front face plate's red HDMI light remains on for the few seconds and then turns off as the cable signal does. There is obviously a switching issue going on here.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM

@undrpsi,
Pls read the Vsx-1121,1021 and 52 threads and you will find that standby pass thru does not really work in practical terms for these AVR.
I have 1121 and I spent a number of hours and gave up. The issue is that Pioneer implementation requires all devices source, AVR and TV need to support CEC-HDMI protocal. Usually the source (mainly BD or Sat boxes) are not compatible so you have no hope it will work.
If you have Ps3 slim than it may work if you follow the procedure in the manual. I have been following this thread for 3 months and only found one person using PS3 slim as source claiming it to work.

Btw, The 2-3 seconds delay is not that it is trying to pass through signal but just the lag(delay in relay turning off) as the AVR shuts down.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM

I'm looking for suggestions on the best scenes to use as a reference when comparing different audio configurations and settings.

Ideally, I'm looking for scenes that have a good representation of the full audio spectrum produced in the highest quality possible so I can listen to and compare the bass, mids, and highs between the possible audio configurations.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

How do I run MCACC this way? I ran the auto MCACC and thats what set everything to large. So I guess I am asking how to set up all to small, and then how to run MCACC that way?

What are the steps to take in order?

Run AutoMCACC but select "Keep SP System" in place of "ALL".

Allen
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM

iafzal..
Thanks..I too have read this forum (and 521)...knew the HDMI pass through was vapoware on this rcvr. I could get the PS3 to do it...but not the cable box. I got it sorted by running the STB to the tv and using optical for audio. It's probably my cheapo cable box....

EVERYONE...New Egg has the 1021 for $349 (free shipping - no tax). I called Best Buy and, of course, they don't price match an online reseller. I told them bluntly that I was going to order it, pack up the one from BB, and bring it back. He said "I understand".

Also..to go along with my speaker question...New Egg is having a fire sale on Pioneer speakers. I got the subwoofer for $79 (doh..it's now $99). I got the Pioneer SP-FS51-LR floor standing speakers for $149....so now my Deathstar is almost fully operational.

Again, anyone have a center speaker reccomendation? Most of these are freaking huge and block some of the screen (my LCD's on it's stand not mounted).

Has anyone used an inexpensive sound bar for a center speaker or do they make one that's not $700 that's also a center speaker?

I listened to both iTunes and internet radio for almost 5 hours last night...I had one blip of dead air that lasted about a second and it was on an internat radio station out of Belarus...could have been a bandwidth fart...not rcvr per se.

Thanks to this board I am starting to get the hang of this complicated monster!!

Jay
Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone tried using the usb port on the back of the receiver to power a usb fan, for example one of these kits? http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090595.html

On the receiver it says it's for the lan adapter (not using), but I would like to install a fan onto my stand to try and keep my ps3/360/cable box cool.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
Old 02-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Has anyone tried using the usb port on the back of the receiver to power a usb fan, for example one of these kits? http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090595.html

On the receiver it says it's for the lan adapter (not using), but I would like to install a fan onto my stand to try and keep my ps3/360/cable box cool.

I just ordered one of those myself today from the cooler guys for the exact same reason. Plan to use the USB port behind my Onkyo TX-NR3009 receiver to keep it cool. Hopefully it will work and will turn on/off automatically with the receiver.

Let me know if you find out first.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrpsi View Post

iafzal..
Thanks..I too have read this forum (and 521)...knew the HDMI pass through was vapoware on this rcvr. I could get the PS3 to do it...but not the cable box. I got it sorted by running the STB to the tv and using optical for audio. It's probably my cheapo cable box....

EVERYONE...New Egg has the 1021 for $349 (free shipping - no tax). I called Best Buy and, of course, they don't price match an online reseller. I told them bluntly that I was going to order it, pack up the one from BB, and bring it back. He said "I understand".

Also..to go along with my speaker question...New Egg is having a fire sale on Pioneer speakers. I got the subwoofer for $79 (doh..it's now $99). I got the Pioneer SP-FS51-LR floor standing speakers for $149....so now my Deathstar is almost fully operational.

Again, anyone have a center speaker reccomendation? Most of these are freaking huge and block some of the screen (my LCD's on it's stand not mounted).

Has anyone used an inexpensive sound bar for a center speaker or do they make one that's not $700 that's also a center speaker?

I listened to both iTunes and internet radio for almost 5 hours last night...I had one blip of dead air that lasted about a second and it was on an internat radio station out of Belarus...could have been a bandwidth fart...not rcvr per se.

Thanks to this board I am starting to get the hang of this complicated monster!!

Jay

1021 has gone as low as $299 @ neewegg.

If you are looking for Sat system then I can recommend going with MartinLogan MLT-2 from Newegg. Usually they go down to $300 for the 5.1 system once a month.
Great speakers for being just a sat system and in my opinion will easily be better than any sat system under $500. They have 4.5" woofer and 1" tweeter so they are not to shabby.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM

I picked my 1021 up for $294.99 ($289.99 + $5.00 shipping) from Woot back in December.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaccio View Post

I picked my 1021 up for $294.99 ($289.99 + $5.00 shipping) from Woot back in December.

Hopefully you don't have any issues where you need warranty work because woot isn't an authorized dealer.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
"Again, anyone have a center speaker reccomendation? Most of these are freaking huge and block some of the screen (my LCD's on it's stand not mounted)."

I just picked up a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 last week for $220. It's just under 15 inches wide and 5 inches high and 5 inches deep. It fits neatly above my BluRay player while still staying out of the TV screen's field of view. It's not quite broken in yet but it sounds great. I had trouble understanding some dialogue when I was running a pair of Def tech ProCinema 800 speakers but after adding this center channel I can hear everything. I am very pleased with this center channel, and all of the Def tech products that I have purchased.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1 View Post

Hopefully you don't have any issues where you need warranty work because woot isn't an authorized dealer.

Mine has a two year warranty as I purchased it with a Costco American Express.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 AM

Few questions.. i've fun the mcacc test a few times but i'm still trying to tweak my audio settings... I'll start by saying i'm not using a subwoofer. I have 5 speaker setup. Typically I listen to music with just the front 2 channels which are jbl 180's. I like some bass I have setting for large speaker, but i can't seem to get the highs and treble i want. It also doesn't allow me to adjust bass and treble specifically in audio paramaters.

I also have the iphone app to adjust the equalizer but i'm not sure which levels adjust what!

any opinions for optimal settings for loud volume house/techno music would be appreciated! Stream Direct? Auto Surround? etc etc....Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post

I just ordered one of those myself today from the cooler guys for the exact same reason. Plan to use the USB port behind my Onkyo TX-NR3009 receiver to keep it cool. Hopefully it will work and will turn on/off automatically with the receiver.

Let me know if you find out first.

I decided to go with a cheapo fan http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00080...=10ML8QKXH1L5D since I wasn't sure if the receiver would power a fan to begin with, I just need a fan to pull the hot air out the back of my stand. It comes in Friday, I will post my findings.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdawgs22 View Post

Few questions.. i've fun the mcacc test a few times but i'm still trying to tweak my audio settings... I'll start by saying i'm not using a subwoofer. I have 5 speaker setup. Typically I listen to music with just the front 2 channels which are jbl 180's. I like some bass I have setting for large speaker, but i can't seem to get the highs and treble i want. It also doesn't allow me to adjust bass and treble specifically in audio paramaters.

I also have the iphone app to adjust the equalizer but i'm not sure which levels adjust what!

any opinions for optimal settings for loud volume house/techno music would be appreciated! Stream Direct? Auto Surround? etc etc....Thanks!

I generally keep everything on stream direct (still uses mcacc settings), and for music from my ipod I use advanced surround - ext. stereo.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers