Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 2675 Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaccio View Post

Mine has a two year warranty as I purchased it with a Costco American Express.

Paid extra for the New Egg 3 year 'no worries' replacement warranty...was $59 extra. I also use AMEX for any electronic purchases for the extra year warranty.

Still paid $150 less than BB for a NIB 1021 without 3 years coverage...just saying...

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2675 Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM

Five28
Ok..I put Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 on my list. It's only 5.2" high versus the Pioneer's 7.9"....but I didn't like the look of it online. Local stereo shop has them...will try to get out there this weekend. You're right this is more in line with what I am looking for as far as size.

Anyone using JBL Cinema Sound Series CSC56 ? This slightly taller than Five28's suggestion but only 4" deep. How does it sound? Looks (online) to be shiny black..which matches the stand on my Sony....not that asthetics are dominant but it would blend in more.

Any info would be appreciated.

Jay
post #1923 of 2675 Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Liked: 12
Just for comparison, I use the Polk Blackstone 250 5.1 set-up with a Polk 10" woofer and set it to auto for everything except stereo music (classical and pop) which I set to extended stereo. Admittedly not a high end system, but I get spectacular results which is confirmed by everyone who has heard it. I use the iPad Pioneer controller and used MCAAC to set it up.
post #1924 of 2675 Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM

So, this may sound like a silly question, but what settings would you folks recommend for this receiver connected only to two large front speakers (Polk towers)? That's all I have right now, so I want to get the best stereo sound from them I can with CDs and DVDs (no BD yet either). Right now they (or my bookies on Speaker B) just don't sound right, so I'm wondering is some default setting in the receiver is affecting the audio. BTW, all surround channels have been set to "NO." Thanks for any help you can lend.
post #1925 of 2675 Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

I generally keep everything on stream direct (still uses mcacc settings), and for music from my ipod I use advanced surround - ext. stereo.

How bout normal tv watching? I've kept auto sound receiver on ...thoughts? And at night alc Dolby digital
post #1926 of 2675 Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the response. I have given up on this issue. I am going to get a $13.00 Y adapter from monoprice.com, run it off my cable box and switch back and forth between a TV and 1021 connection.

Maybe I'm strange, but I personally like surfing basic TV, watching news, talk shows, etc. without disturbing the household using my TV speakers and view select prime TV shows and DVDs that deserve the "big sound" through the 1021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrpsi View Post

ChronoMATT,

EXACTLY same here. I also tried everything and the closest I got to HDMI pass-through was EXACTLY the same as you...power off the rcvr and you get the TV saying "Switching Audio to internal spkrs" and then you get 1-3 seconds of it working..then.....LOS (loss of signal)...

post #1927 of 2675 Old 02-22-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

Run AutoMCACC but select "Keep SP System" in place of "ALL".

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
post #1928 of 2675 Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 PM

I hope someone can help me with this.

I am having a problem with my 1021 K, I am on #2 now as the first had problems.

youtube . com / watch ?v=b7YuOkGuPjI
youtube . com / watch ?v=94vK6sjjGuM

My VSX 1021K keeps sending a video reset signal, as you will see in the videos.

It annoys me to no avail and #2 seems to be doing the same that #1 did before I exchanged it at Costco.

I am at the point of giving up and going with another receiver altogether, is this a common problem and is there a solution?

Any assistance is appreciated tremendously, I am SO tired of seeing that black screen reset multiple times while trying to watch as it is so random and sometimes pops up at the most inopportune times when action movies get good.

By the way, sorry for the space in the link but apparently spammers have made it hard to send legitimate links .
post #1929 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoMATT View Post

Maybe I'm strange, but I personally like surfing basic TV, watching news, talk shows, etc. without disturbing the household using my TV speakers and view select prime TV shows and DVDs that deserve the "big sound" through the 1021.

ChronoMATT,

Nope you're not strange...I even use old school headphones a lot to keep from waking up the family. I usually watch TV without firing up the AV...do I really need 7.1 channel audio to listen to the news? Not usually....

Jay
post #1930 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 05:19 AM

My unit is less than 30 days old. I have a problem if I turn the receiver off with ALC auto level control left on. When I turn it back on I get a pop through the speakers and then little sound. Each time I switch listening modes (standard, ADV SURR, AUTO etc) I here a pop through the speakers. If I switch to something other than ALC and turn the receiver off and on it is fine.

Do other units shutdown and startup OK with ALC left on?

Thanks,

Mike
post #1931 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Anyone used Pioneer Elite TZ-MC09 Center Channel speaker?

This meets my height requirement for a center speaker....Any input?

Thanks
Jay
post #1932 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM

I called Pioneer and they said the firmware update should have fixed that. My unit had the dot on the box indicating the firmware was updated. I used AVNavigator to check-update my firmware. It said the receiver firmware needed to be updated. I downloaded it and put it on a USB flash drive and proceeded to update it. While going through the process the receiver told me my firmware was current and did not need an update. The tech thought that some how the firmware update "didn't take". He suggested I send it back.

I sent it back to NewEgg. I am going to fight them to pay the return shipping on a defective item. Even though there policy says they are not responsible.

I should have pressed the tech to see if there is a way to force an overwrite of the firmware even though it shows current. Maybe I should have taken it to a local authorized repair facility to see if they could have reloaded the firmware. I was however getting close to my 30 day return limit though.

Mike
post #1933 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Question:

I am using my Pioneer VSX-1021-K with my PC, hooked up to an AMD HD6950 gpu via HDMI. I have video conversion off.

6950--->(HDMI)--->VSX-1021-K --->(HMDI)---->Monitor.

My problem is that when I startup my computer, the screen doesn't show an image until windows boots up. So, I am not able to access my BIOS.

Is there a setting I can change so that the video is always being seen? Or, should I just output audio via motherboard toslink, and send the video right to screen? If the latter, will I be losing anything? (I am running a 5.1 system for now)
post #1934 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrondar View Post

So, this may sound like a silly question, but what settings would you folks recommend for this receiver connected only to two large front speakers (Polk towers)? That's all I have right now, so I want to get the best stereo sound from them I can with CDs and DVDs (no BD yet either). Right now they (or my bookies on Speaker B) just don't sound right, so I'm wondering is some default setting in the receiver is affecting the audio. BTW, all surround channels have been set to "NO." Thanks for any help you can lend.

I would make sure that the crossover is off and that the speakers are set to large so that you are getting a full range of sound. Otherwise, the basic stereo setting should be fine.
post #1935 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevman17 View Post

Question:

I am using my Pioneer VSX-1021-K with my PC, hooked up to an AMD HD6950 gpu via HDMI. I have video conversion off.

6950--->(HDMI)--->VSX-1021-K --->(HMDI)---->Monitor.

My problem is that when I startup my computer, the screen doesn't show an image until windows boots up. So, I am not able to access my BIOS.

Is there a setting I can change so that the video is always being seen? Or, should I just output audio via motherboard toslink, and send the video right to screen? If the latter, will I be losing anything? (I am running a 5.1 system for now)

I'm doing the same thing, and have the same problem. As far as I know, the problem is due to the fact that the BIOS screen resolution likely doesn't match HDMI specifications. It's not until Windows loads and pops over to 1920x1080 resolution (or whatever) that the HDMI port starts to work. I'm using a NVIDIA GT430, BTW.

You can use the Toslink if you want, but you won't get the HD multi-channel sound. You'll be limited to dolby digital/DTS or uncompressed 2-channel PCM.

In my setup, if I just use the HDMI connection, the video card freaks out when the AVR switches input or is turned off (it doesn't think the monitor is connected any longer) and this causes problems with my HTPC software (SageTV). This is an EDID problem you can read about in the HTPC forum. You may or may not see the same problem. Here's what I do:

I have an HDMI cable connecting my GT430 to the 1021K and another HDMI connected from the 1021k output to HDMI1 on my TV. This is the primary cable that all sound and video runs through.

I then have a second connection using a DVI---->HDMI cable connecting my video card to HDMI2 on the TV. I don't use this connection to view any video. However, I set my video card to clone the display over the DVI port. When the receiver switches inputs or turns off, it has the DVI connection to fall back to and my video card doesn't flip out. If necessary, I can switch to HDMI2 on the TV to access the BIOS.
post #1936 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrondar View Post

I'll second stevman17's comments. I'm using this receiver with two Polk RTi4s and a CSi3 for a 3.0 apartment setup. Speakers really need to be set to large without any crossover or you will lose all your bass.

I might recommend going through the MCACC setup process if you haven't already since it seems to do a good job catching setup glitches and seemed to make the response a little flatter like it should be. It also detected the lack of a subwoofer and made sure all my speakers were set to large by default.

It does sound different than my Sony STR-DH800 I had before, but not in a bad way.
post #1937 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdawgs22 View Post

How bout normal tv watching? I've kept auto sound receiver on ...thoughts? And at night alc Dolby digital

Normal tv as in cable? I just leave it on auto. I don't really care how cable television sounds or looks.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #1938 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevman17 View Post

I would make sure that the crossover is off and that the speakers are set to large so that you are getting a full range of sound. Otherwise, the basic stereo setting should be fine.

Speakers are set to large, but I left the crossover where it was in setup, as I did not really understand its use (and only do slightly more now ). This receiver is replacing a fairly older one that sounded good right out of the box, but was an early 5.1 model with no video functions, so I imagine things have changed enough in that time that I am about as clueless as an owner can be. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post

I'll second stevman17's comments. I'm using this receiver with two Polk RTi4s and a CSi3 for a 3.0 apartment setup. Speakers really need to be set to large without any crossover or you will lose all your bass.

I might recommend going through the MCACC setup process if you haven't already since it seems to do a good job catching setup glitches and seemed to make the response a little flatter like it should be. It also detected the lack of a subwoofer and made sure all my speakers were set to large by default.

It does sound different than my Sony STR-DH800 I had before, but not in a bad way.

Yes, I have yet to run the MCACC (which was the first thing Pioneer tech support suggested), as I've been so busy since I got the unit. Will check these settings tonight. Thanks.
post #1939 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeber24 View Post

I'm doing the same thing, and have the same problem. As far as I know, the problem is due to the fact that the BIOS screen resolution likely doesn't match HDMI specifications. It's not until Windows loads and pops over to 1920x1080 resolution (or whatever) that the HDMI port starts to work. I'm using a NVIDIA GT430, BTW.

You can use the Toslink if you want, but you won't get the HD multi-channel sound. You'll be limited to dolby digital/DTS or uncompressed 2-channel PCM.

In my setup, if I just use the HDMI connection, the video card freaks out when the AVR switches input or is turned off (it doesn't think the monitor is connected any longer) and this causes problems with my HTPC software (SageTV). This is an EDID problem you can read about in the HTPC forum. You may or may not see the same problem. Here's what I do:

I have an HDMI cable connecting my GT430 to the 1021K and another HDMI connected from the 1021k output to HDMI1 on my TV. This is the primary cable that all sound and video runs through.

I then have a second connection using a DVI---->HDMI cable connecting my video card to HDMI2 on the TV. I don't use this connection to view any video. However, I set my video card to clone the display over the DVI port. When the receiver switches inputs or turns off, it has the DVI connection to fall back to and my video card doesn't flip out. If necessary, I can switch to HDMI2 on the TV to access the BIOS.

Awesome, thanks man. Hopefully I can do the same thing with my hd6950
post #1940 of 2675 Old 02-23-2012, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
Well I just bit the bullet on one of these. Got It on newegg for 350 + 60 for the extended warranty. Now I just need to build my Overnight Sensations and rock out.
post #1941 of 2675 Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 AM

THe monoprice HDMI splitters were mentioned yesterday as a alternative for watching TV w/o using the receiver. I looked over their site and saw in the reviews (on the powered one i was looking at) that the signal/audio level will go to the lowest level to both the tv and receiver: so if your TV doesnt do 5.1 it wont pass 5.1 to you receiver?? Anybody have a spin on their products?
post #1942 of 2675 Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rambob View Post

THe monoprice HDMI splitters were mentioned yesterday as a alternative for watching TV w/o using the receiver. I looked over their site and saw in the reviews (on the powered one i was looking at) that the signal/audio level will go to the lowest level to both the tv and receiver: so if your TV doesnt do 5.1 it wont pass 5.1 to you receiver?? Anybody have a spin on their products?

If it were an HDMI splitter then it would receive the EDID data from the TV that it only supports stereo and your source would always send stereo. If it is a switch, then the TV shouldn't be communicating with the source if it is switched to the AVR and you would get your full multichannel audio. Make sure you pick a switch, not a splitter.
post #1943 of 2675 Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

I decided to go with a cheapo fan http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00080...=10ML8QKXH1L5D since I wasn't sure if the receiver would power a fan to begin with, I just need a fan to pull the hot air out the back of my stand. It comes in Friday, I will post my findings.

I just got mine. It's the coolerguys version you had linked from amazon (for $16.90 delivered) and yes it works when plugged into the receiver's USB. I can't hear it from more than 3 feet away and it moves 44 cfm of air per fan. I actually bought 2 of them and the receiver is now ice cold. However, on the Onkyo receivers the USB ports seem to be always powered so I physically need to unplug the fans when I am done watching because they don't power down when the receiver is put on stand-by. This is a hustle though, an inconvenience.

So I just placed an order for a USB hub with a switch (this one):

http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Head-4-Po...0114884&sr=8-2

The goal is to keep the fans always plugged in but use the switch each time I turn the receiver on/off so that I can turn the fans on/off without unplugging them.
post #1944 of 2675 Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 PM

previously i've had my sony nx720 and my pioneer working together flawlessly.. the tv would stay on sat/bedroom and produce sound via hdmi to reciever.. and when i went to pandora on tv it would change reciever to sat/tv and use the optical out from tv to produce audio... now after 2 weeks i'm not getting any any audio to the pioneer via optical... not sure if it is the tv or the reciever... any ideas?
post #1945 of 2675 Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1 View Post

Well I've had my 1021 for 2 1/2 months and today I went to turn it on and nothing. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and still nothing. A couple times in the past it would just shut itself off for no apparent reason but it would power back up . I guess the power supply took a dump. Anyone know what pioneer does if I don't have a service center near my location?

Well I got word back from the authorized service center today that the digital main board was bad and the part is on order from Pioneer. Hopefully they get it in next week so I can be back in business. I hope no more issues after this.
post #1946 of 2675 Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 PM

I just got this receiver a couple of weeks ago from Newegg when they had their sale on it. Loving it so far. Having one problem though and I don't really know if its even a problem. I can stream music from Windows Media Player and iTunes to my receiver when its set to the HMG input. The problem I'm having is when I switch to the HMG input it connects to the server and then displays a list of folders(Internet Radio, my server, etc.) but I can't select any of the folders. The directional pad on the remote won't work. Actually nothing works on the remote except for the change input buttons. Is this normal? Am I not suppose to be able to select any of those folders?
post #1947 of 2675 Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer View Post

The directional pad on the remote won't work. Actually nothing works on the remote except for the change input buttons. Is this normal? Am I not suppose to be able to select any of those folders?

Hi Setzer, did you put in it "Receiver Operation Mode" first by pressing the "Receiver" button? If not try that before using other function buttons.
post #1948 of 2675 Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Setzer, did you put in it "Receiver Operation Mode" first by pressing the "Receiver" button? If not try that before using other function buttons.

Wow, I'm an idiot. I didn't even think of that. I pressed the HMG button on the remote and it works now. Thanks a bunch!
post #1949 of 2675 Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdawgs22 View Post

previously i've had my sony nx720 and my pioneer working together flawlessly.. the tv would stay on sat/bedroom and produce sound via hdmi to reciever.. and when i went to pandora on tv it would change reciever to sat/tv and use the optical out from tv to produce audio... now after 2 weeks i'm not getting any any audio to the pioneer via optical... not sure if it is the tv or the reciever... any ideas?

A easy way to determine whether an optical output is working is to simply unplug the optical cable from the input side (your receiver in this case) while the TV is playing Pandora and looking at the end of the cable to see if it's lit up with red light. If so, then you have an optical signal coming from the TV so the problem has something to do with the receiver.

post #1950 of 2675 Old 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM

Problems with HMG

Has anyone had problems just getting HMG to start? I have my VSX-1021-K hooked up to my network via Ethernet and have verified that it has a good IP address and that the iPad app is able to control it with no issues, so I know it's on the network properly. However, when I switch to the HMG input, the iPad app and my TV display both say "Starting H.M.G. Please wait." No matter how long I wait, I'm stuck on this screen.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page