Pioneer VSX-1021 Owners' Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 2675 Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Upgrading my receiver... My Pioneer 1021-K is available... only a couple of months old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2675 Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM

Oh gotcha...so it's already bi-amped. So I should undo the bi-amp wiring because it's doing nothing for me right? Does the auto calibration know it's in 2.1 not 5.1? Thanks! Any suggestions are helpful at this point. I just want to get the most out of the receiver!
post #2073 of 2675 Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yes, when you run mcacc, it will figure out that you only have 2 speakers connected....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #2074 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 AM

I've been really enjoying the 1021 for the few weeks that I've had it now but I've had one minor issue. Occasionally, when I power on the unit, all I hear is a single POP and no audio. I have to power down and then power back on for the audio to come through without a pop.

Would anyone know what this could be? My assumption is that there is a power issue when everything (TV and cable box) is powered on? As in, there is a power drain on the receiver as it's coming on?
post #2075 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by aingerso View Post

I've been really enjoying the 1021 for the few weeks that I've had it now but I've had one minor issue. Occasionally, when I power on the unit, all I hear is a single POP and no audio. I have to power down and then power back on for the audio to come through without a pop.

Would anyone know what this could be? My assumption is that there is a power issue when everything (TV and cable box) is powered on? As in, there is a power drain on the receiver as it's coming on?

That's not normal. Check all your connections, of course, particularly speaker connections that could potentially be shorted. Even disconnect everything but the main left and right speakers and see if it still does it with known-good speaker wire and an internal source like the FM tuner. But be prepared to send it back.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2076 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM

Hello All.....first...I apologize because it seems that these questions have been asked so much, but I think im still missing something. I have my fat-version PS3 hooked by way of HDMI to the Pioneer VSX-1021-K. After a little PS3 settings research, I selected "auto" and LPCM in the PS3 settings. Everything I play through it, movies, streaming, etc., shows up as being input to the receiver as PCM. I am seeing PCM 48.0kHz on the Pioneer's iphone app and just “PCM” on the receiver display. So...that I understand due to the PS3 settings (with the exception of the 48.0kHz ?) and I am thinking it is my best option. Now I put in a BD that has DTS-HD audio. With the receiver set to “Direct, Pure Direct, or Auto”, I do see that the output is in a 5.1 configuration, but of coarse it still just shows PCM. So I guess my real question is am I getting all that the DTS-HD offers ? Or am I to understand that the PS3 is decoding the DTS-HD and then outputting as PCM to receiver. If that is the case, am I missing out on something with this as well as any other advanced audio on other BDs ? Again, sorry to regurgitate this topic but I feel like im on the cusp of understanding this PCM stuff and want to get the most out of my new Pioneer 1021.
post #2077 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Liked: 11
Is there away to listen to the fm radio while having a hdmi also selected so the sound would be fm radio but the video from the hdmi? I'm using my comptuer on my tv and want to listen to the radio at the same time. I could do this with my onkyo but I can't figure out if it's possible with the 1021
post #2078 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD7210 View Post

Hello All.....first...I apologize because it seems that these questions have been asked so much, but I think im still missing something. I have my fat-version PS3 hooked by way of HDMI to the Pioneer VSX-1021-K. After a little PS3 settings research, I selected "auto" and LPCM in the PS3 settings. Everything I play through it, movies, streaming, etc., shows up as being input to the receiver as PCM. I am seeing PCM 48.0kHz on the Pioneer's iphone app and just “PCM” on the receiver display. So...that I understand due to the PS3 settings (with the exception of the 48.0kHz ?) and I am thinking it is my best option. Now I put in a BD that has DTS-HD audio. With the receiver set to “Direct, Pure Direct, or Auto”, I do see that the output is in a 5.1 configuration, but of coarse it still just shows PCM. So I guess my real question is am I getting all that the DTS-HD offers ? Or am I to understand that the PS3 is decoding the DTS-HD and then outputting as PCM to receiver. If that is the case, am I missing out on something with this as well as any other advanced audio on other BDs ? Again, sorry to regurgitate this topic but I feel like im on the cusp of understanding this PCM stuff and want to get the most out of my new Pioneer 1021.

The PS3 is decoding the audio stream and outputting an uncompressed multichannel PCM stream based on the source to the receiver which is all you really need. Depending on what you set the ps3 to output it will show the number of channel as lil speakers on the top right of the led display on the 1021. If it's set to 7.1 it will show 7.1 speakers if it's set to 5.1 the 1021 will only show 5.1 channels. Only the new slim PS3 can bit stream but The 1021 won't likely benefit from bit streaming least I can't tell a difference
post #2079 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM

sollord.....from my understanding you would want to use zone 2 config to do that. which i believe would leave you with 5.1 in zone 1. i saw a post similar to yours and thats what people suggested.
post #2080 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervision View Post

This thing is junk. After I hooked it up and it never worked right.... now my other Airport expresses are screwing up with airplay. This thing was not fully baked before release. And I think it drops gremlins into your network.

BTW, here is a tip.... for those of you who think yours is working right.... try playing a full 1-2 hour long album via airplay.... chances are it won't play that long. Here is the catch... most people stream their music after hooking up, and say... great it works.... and turn it off after a few minutes..... wait till you actually use it to stream music for long periods.

I returned mine to BB.... they probably have a 50% return rate so far on this piece.

Here is another problem.... how can you update the firmware on this unit? i.e. apple's airplay firmware... you are locked in to whatever Pioneer wants to update... who knows what their firmware will include... ? if ever apples updates.... unlike all the individual airport expresses and apple TV which are made for apple/by apple and you can select what firmware, what channels to use, etc on airport utility.

In the end... get an apple tv or airport express and use it as an input into a receiver......

I ran Airplay out of the box for hours at a time without any issues. It does at times drop the signal but picks up within 10-15 secs only to stay for several hours again. I have not had any issues with this receiver since day 1 and I have several components hooked up to it.
post #2081 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 AM

sollord.thanks. yes....i was thinking the PS3 did the decoding and then passed on that uncompressed multichannel PCM stream. My confusion is stiil around the different formats. if the BD audio is DTS-HD for example, does that information get retained and passed through to the receiver? Am I hearing DTS-HD while Im sitting there watching the movie? I do see the 1021 display shows that its a 5.1 output, but because it still says PCM on the display I am thinking I could be missing something. Might be splitting hairs because it sounds great, but I cant help the feeling of a lack of understanding.
post #2082 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 AM

I agree with Cataractes......i used airplay for hours and thought it worked well. cut out for 5 seconds or so a couple times. nice to have but airplay wasnt the reason i got this receiver and i do think your better off with apple tv. updates and video
post #2083 of 2675 Old 03-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

That's not normal. Check all your connections, of course, particularly speaker connections that could potentially be shorted. Even disconnect everything but the main left and right speakers and see if it still does it with known-good speaker wire and an internal source like the FM tuner. But be prepared to send it back.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem to be a connection issue... I'll keep fiddling with it to see what else it could be.
post #2084 of 2675 Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 AM

Hello all,

Have had the VSX-1021 up and runing for about 2 weeks now. Initial setup went well, after realizing I was staring at the DVD language input screen and not the Receiver's...

Have managed to set up zone 2 and can stream audio from my iPhone, wirelessly and am using the iControlAV2 App.

I am using DHCP, changing the IP address in the App is a bit of a pain. Plugging in a new IP address can identify the receiver, brings back the the MAC address, device and port but, the controls remain grayed out. It sems like if I connect via AirPlay, the app then recognizes the new IP address and all is well, controls are working.

To resolve this issue, I set up a static IP address on the router. So far, this solves the app problem but, I'm not sure if it created a new one.

Since using the static address, I cannot access internet radio. I get to the HMG "home" screen with typical options. After about 15 seconds I can select Internet Radio but then get a "server error". Doesn't seem posible but is this related to using a static IP address, maybe the port is now blocked by the router's security - can find port settings in my routers setup screen.

Before going to a static address, I was able to access Internet Radio stations and may go back a dynamic IP address as a test.

Thanks,
post #2085 of 2675 Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 AM

^^^
A static ip shouldn't create this problem. As long as the ip is on the subnet, the router doesn't care if it's static or dynamic. Just be sure you didn't duplicate an address. I use static ips for most devices on my network without problems. Wonder if this is a dns issue. Are you using dhcp to supply the static ip via MAC address to the receiver? If so, make sure it's also supplying dns servers & default gateway. If you set the static ip directly into the receiver not using dhcp, be sure you entered the dns servers and default gateway.

Allen
post #2086 of 2675 Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1314 View Post

I've had the Pioneer 1021k receiver for about a month, and love it!! I've set some Internet radio favorites, and now want to remove some of those favorites. But I can not seem to find out how to do that. It's making me crazy and has to be something simple. Can anyone tell me how to remove a favorite Internet radio station? What do I need to do?

go to http://pioneer.vtuner.com , log in and you can edit your list.
post #2087 of 2675 Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

My confusion is stiil around the different formats. if the BD audio is DTS-HD for example, does that information get retained and passed through to the receiver? Am I hearing DTS-HD while Im sitting there watching the movie?

Perhaps I can help here with a simple audio processing explanation:

dts-MA and TrueHD are really just zip files used to save space on a disc. Movie soundtracks are recorded as PCM, which take up a lot of space, and studios use compression codecs from Dolby and DTS to reduce the size of the audio tracks. The encoded track must be decoded, which simply unzips the file, turning it back into PCM. You never "hear" a DTS-HD or any other type of encoded track. It always has to be decoded into PCM, which is what audio systems are designed to process and turn into sound.

It doesn't matter whether you do the decoding in the player or the receiver. You get the exact same PCM either way. (Of course, with a Fat PS3, you need to decode lossless tracks in the player because it cannot send the high resolution bitstream to a receiver for decoding. But, that's a limitation of the PS3, not a more general difference between player and receiver decoding.)
post #2088 of 2675 Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Just finished up a bunch of different tests - yup used the router to assign a static IP.

So, I've gone through a range of (static) IP addresses from .110 up to .201 and none of these enable access to Internet radio stations, I keep getting server fails. Note, I was able to access my shared folders on my home PC with a static IP address.

Letting the rounter assign a dynamic IP address and everything works fine.

Using a dynamic IP address is OK, I wanted to avoid needing to use the router (and PC) or the receiver to find out whatever the current IP address assigned was for using the iControl iPhone app.

Think wife who just wants to push a button or two.

Anyone have thoughts?
post #2089 of 2675 Old 03-21-2012, 12:04 PM

Thanks BIslander....again. lol. I understand what your saying. it was in fact the PS3 that was throwing me with the whole thing I mentioned in the BD player forum. I actually looked at the link you provided and it confirmed what we discussed. thanks. So....next question directly related to the 1021. I am not getting much from sub. Did the auto calibration and it set fronts to large and crossover at 100. With my 7 year old Sony, and same speaker set-up, I had it set to fronts-small, and crossover at 80. Bottom line is before my sub "rumbled" and in my opinion sounded great. Now, almost non-existent. I did try to set the 1021 to the previous Sony settings....no difference I could tell. My sub is a polk psw10, maybe a little small for my rather large room. I have a replacement polk psw505 12" on the way. But, again, sounded great before. Any one have sub issues with this AVR or suggestions ?
post #2090 of 2675 Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not getting much from sub. Did the auto calibration and it set fronts to large and crossover at 100. With my 7 year old Sony, and same speaker set-up, I had it set to fronts-small, and crossover at 80. Bottom line is before my sub "rumbled" and in my opinion sounded great. Now, almost non-existent.

Set the fronts to Small.

Quote:

I did try to set the 1021 to the previous Sony settings....no difference I could tell. My sub is a polk psw10, maybe a little small for my rather large room. I have a replacement polk psw505 12" on the way. But, again, sounded great before. Any one have sub issues with this AVR or suggestions ?

Have you tried turning up the sub?
post #2091 of 2675 Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Has anyone found a way to default AirPlay to zone 2? When I start AirPlay, it starts playing in zone 1. I then must manually turn on zone 2, select HMG, then turn off zone 1. Any way to streamline this? Thanks...

Allen
post #2092 of 2675 Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhiway View Post

Just finished up a bunch of different tests - yup used the router to assign a static IP.

So, I've gone through a range of (static) IP addresses from .110 up to .201 and none of these enable access to Internet radio stations, I keep getting server fails. Note, I was able to access my shared folders on my home PC with a static IP address.

Letting the rounter assign a dynamic IP address and everything works fine.

Using a dynamic IP address is OK, I wanted to avoid needing to use the router (and PC) or the receiver to find out whatever the current IP address assigned was for using the iControl iPhone app.

Think wife who just wants to push a button or two.

Anyone have thoughts?

Longhiway - I have encountered the same exact issue. I was having issues controlling receiver through IPad and IPod app through DHCP generated IP addresses so I set up a static IP address within the ranges shown in the manual. I have it hooked up through a wireless Linksys RE1000 in bridge mode then Ethernet out to the receiver as I don't have the ability to hardwire. AirPlay is currently working. My receiver and bridge are viewable on my network. I can not access iternet radio stations as of now. I guess the issue is getting access to web as I tried to update firmware through the network as a test and it has no access. It is like I traded the IPad control for internet radio. I am curious to see if you have had any new success??
post #2093 of 2675 Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uc_jsteele View Post

Longhiway - I have encountered the same exact issue. I was having issues controlling receiver through IPad and IPod app through DHCP generated IP addresses so I set up a static IP address within the ranges shown in the manual. I have it hooked up through a wireless Linksys RE1000 in bridge mode then Ethernet out to the receiver as I don't have the ability to hardwire. AirPlay is currently working. My receiver and bridge are viewable on my network. I can not access iternet radio stations as of now. I guess the issue is getting access to web as I tried to update firmware through the network as a test and it has no access. It is like I traded the IPad control for internet radio. I am curious to see if you have had any new success??

Haven't come up with anything really new to try, maybe setting up a longer IP address lease time and avoid the need to identify the new IP address every day. For me, it is easier to show the current IP address using the receiver and its remote as opposed to using my PC and then accessing the routers status and update screens. Now, knowing the iOS app is a bit slow to respond with a new IP address, might make this a workable solution. OTOH, all this as a compromise is to have acces to internet radio... Not sure which side of this trade-off is my best answer.
post #2094 of 2675 Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM

BIslander.....yup. I changed the fronts to small and set crossover to 80. If you mean the actual volume control on the sub then yes. doesnt seem to make much difference. I saw where the manual, which sucks if you ask me, mentions that you can adjust the bass when tone control is set to "on". But, it says the tone control setting is only displayed when the listening mode is stereo, auto surround stereo, or sound retriever air. 'only displayed". not sure if that means only applicable for stereo mode or only available to adjust, but still applied to all modes. Another post I saw mentions adjusting a trim control but I dont see that.
post #2095 of 2675 Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
You can adjust the SW output at the sub itself or with the channel levels in the AVR. Auto calibration is fine. But, there's no reason not to make adjustments if you prefer different levels.
post #2096 of 2675 Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Haven't come up with anything really new to try, maybe setting up a longer IP address lease time and avoid the need to identify the new IP address every day...

Longhiway, check the following: go to System Setup / Network Setup / IP Address, Proxy:
DHCP: On
IP Address : your fixed IP
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: IP address of your primary router (gateway to Internet)
Primary DNS: IP address of Internet DNS server
Secondary DNS: address of secondary DNS server
Enable Proxy: Off ( assuming you are not using a proxy server)

All the above fields should be filled in by DHCP. Any one not correct could be causing your problem.

Allen
post #2097 of 2675 Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM

BIslander.....man. what an amateur I am. Channel adjustment. The SW was auto-calibrated to -11 !?!
I know bass is supposed to be somewhat subtle but damn. Put it at +1 and its kickin ass again. Now I really cant wait for that 505 to get here ! Thanks again
post #2098 of 2675 Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Haven't come up with anything really new to try, maybe setting up a longer IP address lease time and avoid the need to identify the new IP address every day. For me, it is easier to show the current IP address using the receiver and its remote as opposed to using my PC and then accessing the routers status and update screens. Now, knowing the iOS app is a bit slow to respond with a new IP address, might make this a workable solution. OTOH, all this as a compromise is to have acces to internet radio... Not sure which side of this trade-off is my best answer.

You can also try using a reservation in the DHCP setup in your router. This way, it will always give out the same IP to the receiver.
post #2099 of 2675 Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

BIslander.....man. what an amateur I am. Channel adjustment. The SW was auto-calibrated to -11 !?!
I know bass is supposed to be somewhat subtle but damn. Put it at +1 and its kickin ass again. Now I really cant wait for that 505 to get here ! Thanks again

TWELVE db hot???

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #2100 of 2675 Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

Longhiway, check the following: go to System Setup / Network Setup / IP Address, Proxy:
DHCP: On
IP Address : your fixed IP
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: IP address of your primary router (gateway to Internet)
Primary DNS: IP address of Internet DNS server
Secondary DNS: address of secondary DNS server
Enable Proxy: Off ( assuming you are not using a proxy server)

All the above fields should be filled in by DHCP. Any one not correct could be causing your problem.

Allen, If DHCP is "ON" won't it automatically give the receiver a new IP address if a reboot occurs? I'm struggling with the same ordeal as Longhiway. Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page