Wan't to upgrade from Sennheiser HD555 Headphones, help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I think it's time I made an upgrade regarding my Sennheiser HD555 home theatre headphones. I mean I LOVE the sound they provide for gaming,
although they tend to make some DVD's and All bluray movies crackle and introduce Bass buzzing. And the only way to reduce or get rid of those two things is by turning down the volume
which then kind of hampers the experience because the sound just isn't loud enough imo. I always find myself turning the volume up and down during movies. When the loud bass hitting action scenes come on that's when I'm screwed and it's really annoying

That aside, what I hate about these headphones is that they're loud from the outside. Even with my door shut, anybody in the living room down the hallway can still here it.

I wan't a pair of Seinheisers that can deliver the same great sound but provide me with far less sound coming from the outside of the speakers. Help?
Wireless would be great as well, but I hear they're not that good sound-wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Do your current phones have a full surround? If they are just on ear, like my Grados, they wont't block out sound, unless it's loud enough to hide it.

I don't like those full surround earphones anymore. Not since I had a pair of Koss back in the day, and the Grados demonstrated that they were more accurate to me.

As for having to adjust volume all the time, I would say that's just normal movie dynamics. You may have to try using a dynamics reduction setting if possible on your receiver.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 11 Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The HD555's should be able to handle something on the order of a few hundred mW per channel, which should be enough to take your head off - the buzzing/rattling that you're describing makes me think either your amplifier is clipping or your headset is broken.

Regarding open or closed, you can have around-ear headphones that are fully open (like the HD555s), or on-ear headphones that are fully open (like most Grado products), there are also closed varieties of both (Denon and Audio-Technica, for example). Open-style headphones are generally considered to be more "accurate" or "detailed", while closed-style headphones are considered to be more "isolated"; personally I like open-style headphones for two other reasons:

- They tend to weigh less
- They let your ears breathe

Before you look at new headphones, look for damage regarding your headset, or if the amplifier is able to handle the load being presented to it (for example if you're using a computer soundcard); might be something you can fix.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

The HD555's should be able to handle something on the order of a few hundred mW per channel, which should be enough to take your head off - the buzzing/rattling that you're describing makes me think either your amplifier is clipping or your headset is broken.

Regarding open or closed, you can have around-ear headphones that are fully open (like the HD555s), or on-ear headphones that are fully open (like most Grado products), there are also closed varieties of both (Denon and Audio-Technica, for example). Open-style headphones are generally considered to be more "accurate" or "detailed", while closed-style headphones are considered to be more "isolated"; personally I like open-style headphones for two other reasons:

- They tend to weigh less
- They let your ears breathe

Before you look at new headphones, look for damage regarding your headset, or if the amplifier is able to handle the load being presented to it (for example if you're using a computer soundcard); might be something you can fix.

My HD555's wire is is actually pulled out a smidge from the headphones themselves which is basically revealing almost an inch of the wires if that has anything to do with it. Yet the sound still sounds perfect, it's just when I have the volume in the higher area for DVD's and blurays especially it can buzz and rattle pretty badly during those high octaine scenes. I'm also using a Sony 7.1 Receiver which I picked up a little over 2 years ago, yet I have no idea if it's clipping or whatever that means or regarding the load either. eek. How exactly do you check for that?

And by the sounds of it, I guess I'll just stick with Open style headphones if they are indeed more accurate. Also to take advantage of DTS Master HD audio for Bluray can you even get 96hz headphones? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this, or maybe the sound that my HD555's are busting out is basically good enough.

I've also heard that you can actually buy seperate pieces like a new wire for example from Sennhesier.com incase you may have damaged a certain part of your headphones. Needing a new wire definitly springs to mind.lol
And if the clipping and load doesn't solve the problem on my receiver maybe this might do the trick.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Do your current phones have a full surround? If they are just on ear, like my Grados, they wont't block out sound, unless it's loud enough to hide it.

I don't like those full surround earphones anymore. Not since I had a pair of Koss back in the day, and the Grados demonstrated that they were more accurate to me.

As for having to adjust volume all the time, I would say that's just normal movie dynamics. You may have to try using a dynamics reduction setting if possible on your receiver.

Here's a link to the HD555 spec sheet and details >
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826106392

I'm guessing it's not Full Surround sound, whenever I use them for movies it autimaticly sets the sound to 2 channel, if movies aren't Dolby digital or DTS Master HD audio equiped it lets me select an option called 'theatre' which gives off this funky effect as if you're watching a movie at the theatre, yet I never use it. I guess that's for anything Dolby Pro Logic II and under.

And dynamics reduction hey? I need to check out my manual and check where that is in the settings.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post
My HD555's wire is is actually pulled out a smidge from the headphones themselves which is basically revealing almost an inch of the wires if that has anything to do with it. Yet the sound still sounds perfect, it's just when I have the volume in the higher area for DVD's and blurays especially it can buzz and rattle pretty badly during those high octaine scenes. I'm also using a Sony 7.1 Receiver which I picked up a little over 2 years ago, yet I have no idea if it's clipping or whatever that means or regarding the load either. eek. How exactly do you check for that?

And by the sounds of it, I guess I'll just stick with Open style headphones if they are indeed more accurate. Also to take advantage of DTS Master HD audio for Bluray can you even get 96hz headphones? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this, or maybe the sound that my HD555's are busting out is basically good enough.

I've also heard that you can actually buy seperate pieces like a new wire for example from Sennhesier.com incase you may have damaged a certain part of your headphones. Needing a new wire definitly springs to mind.lol
And if the clipping and load doesn't solve the problem on my receiver maybe this might do the trick.
Your amplifier is likely *not* clipping, as you say you're using a receiver (generally you'll only get this kind of problem from computer soundcards or other very low power devices - most receivers will either include a separate amplifier section for headphones, or drive the headphone output directly from the main amplifier through a filtering circuit (to protect both the amplifier and the headphones) - power is almost never an issue.

If you've pulled the wires apart, that would potentially be a source of damage to the headphones - and yes you can usually purchase replacement parts from Sennheiser; see here:
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/service...rt_part-finder

Now regarding sampling frequency and audio codecs and whatnot, none of that matters in context of your headphones, that information deals with digital audio which your receiver is going to be decoding and processing before the headphones (or speakers) ever see it.

Some assorted information for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_frequency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

You won't get "surround sound" from headphones, as they are stereo devices (and they should be, you only have two ears), so what your receiver (or other devices) are doing is resampling the 5.1 (or whatever) signals down to stereo as per their specifications (the specification of the codec involved). The "Theatre" mode is likely a DSP effect that your Sony is able to apply to stereo content, and is unrelated to the other formats. Similarly, Pro Logic II is a matrix decoder that is able to be applied to stereo or Dolby Surround/Pro Logic I content to simulate surround sound.

Some receivers (And even fewer outboard processors) will feature a mode called "Dolby Headphone", which is designed to take a multi-channel signal and resample it to stereo, specifically for headphone listening; results are variable - sometimes it sounds stellar, sometimes it's more or less identical to "normal" stereo. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Headphone
post #7 of 11 Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just upgraded from my HD 555 headphones to Sennheiser HD 650's and a 20 foot Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3 cable. I havn't received the Blue Dragon yet but I've had a chance to listen to them prior to my "breaking them in". They are much more expensive than the 555 though. The first thing my wife asked me is if she is supposed to hear the sound from the next room. I was testing them at a louder volume than I usually listen with the 555's.

I have also been looking into options for HT headphones recently and it's really hard to find a good solid answer to anything that is preferred by most. There's a bias towards wireless surround headphones like the Pioneers and the Sennheiser RS 180 but the emphasis seems to be on wireless capability as opposed to pure audio quality. I've been looking for something accurate and realistic. Most of the surround options seem to be more gimicky than anything. In the end I decided that open style and wired are probably my best option. I've decided to dump the idea of surround headphones. However, I still haven't decided whether I should use a seperate headphone amp or run them straight from the receiver (Onkyo 3008). The Onkyo seems to lack in power so I am leaning towards adding a headphone amp.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info guys, and those are some frickin pricy headphones, too rich for my blood.
And I was going to order a new cable for my HD555's for around $10, but at the same time Above my HD555's ear phone speakers there are cracks on both sides of the plastic
which has made both sides loose to the point where I have to basically tape them together.

I'm thinking about just getting a new pair of HD555's off Amazon brand new for $89 CAN(yet it's going for $169 from another seller/page for some reason,
the $89 one is sold straight from Amazon), or I can upgrade to the HD595's for $157

Do you guys honestly think it's worth the upgrade, or I should i just go for the HD555's?

HD555
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...9943640&sr=1-2

HD595
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...9943640&sr=1-1
post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I was in the same boat as the OP, I've had my HD555 for more than 4 years now and the foam from valure is showing. After extensive research, I finally bought myself the Beyerdynamic dt990 premium 32ohms cans used like new from Amazon. I can't wait to give it a good test drive when it arrives. I bought it mainly on the excellent reviews it got like hd555 when I first bought it. Anyway if I don't like, I can always return it.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
got the beyer's and it's on the way back to Amazon. The sound wasn't my cup of tea, I like the sound of my hd555 much better. I guess I'm going to keep my cans after all and buy new valoure pads for it.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

I just upgraded from my HD 555 headphones to Sennheiser HD 650's and a 20 foot Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3 cable. I havn't received the Blue Dragon yet but I've had a chance to listen to them prior to my "breaking them in". They are much more expensive than the 555 though. The first thing my wife asked me is if she is supposed to hear the sound from the next room. I was testing them at a louder volume than I usually listen with the 555's.

I have also been looking into options for HT headphones recently and it's really hard to find a good solid answer to anything that is preferred by most. There's a bias towards wireless surround headphones like the Pioneers and the Sennheiser RS 180 but the emphasis seems to be on wireless capability as opposed to pure audio quality. I've been looking for something accurate and realistic. Most of the surround options seem to be more gimicky than anything. In the end I decided that open style and wired are probably my best option. I've decided to dump the idea of surround headphones. However, I still haven't decided whether I should use a seperate headphone amp or run them straight from the receiver (Onkyo 3008). The Onkyo seems to lack in power so I am leaning towards adding a headphone amp.

You should deffently add a dedicated headphone amp.

I tryed mine HD650 on the Onkyo 905 and as you say it lacks power. So i ended up adding a Graham slee solo/PSU1. The difference in like night and day
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page