Simultaneous Front Height and Rear surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using a couple Onkyo Ht-RC180 receivers in different rooms of the house. I understand these are 7.2 receivers and not 9.2. So I'm wondering if I hook up a two channel external amp will I be able to run rear surround and front height at the same time in one room? Also, in the living room I'm currently using the rear surround as a zone two for my outdoor speakers. Would I be able to run Front height along with zone two if I used an external two channel amp? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
bump
post #3 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Liked: 147
Pages 18 - 20 imply you can setup up to an 11 speaker system (not counting subwoofer). It does not say which ones get the built in 7 speaker amplifiers, though.

I would call Onkyo and ask them.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Your not going to get "real" 9.2 sound doing it this complicted way plus your going to have issues with volume control because if I understand you correctly your going to run Zone 2 sections off other units so level matching is tricky.
Front height is a function of surround processing and its not the exact signal that goes to your rears so while you would get more speakers doing more sound in your room it would be accurate as you would have sound made for rear of room playing in front giving you a confused sound IMO.
Sometimes more speakers are just more and not better, I think front height is a gimmick to sell more crap so you can imagine what I think of the idea of putting rear info in front of room.
But in all honesty my front speakers (and last 2 pairs) have and still are 6ft tall so I just dont see the need for me atleast.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page