AVS Forum banner

Amps and Power Conditioners

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Eldiablos 
#1 ·
I have a Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande 7. When I called their tech support, they told me to plug in this amp directly to the outlet. Power conditioner can restrict the flow of power the amp needs, especially under heavy loads. Using a conditioner could lead damages to the capacitors. I have this amp plugged into PS Audio Soloist Premiere. According to the PS Audio website, I can safely use high power amps with the Soloist power conditioners. I'm not sure what to believe. I'm afraid that using a conditioner might damage the amp. On the other hand, I don't feel quite safe about plugging in directly to the outlet.

I also have another Soloist running on a separate circuit to drive the sub-woofer (JL Audio Fathom F113). According to the specs, this thing can draw 250RMS...

Is there anymore who's using Soloist with their Amps and/or sub-woofers? If so, what is your experience with it? If this is not a good solution, what should I be using? PS Audio makes Power Plant as well, but they're beyond my budget. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
As long as the power conditioner does not limit current flow under high demand, you are fine.

You may be able to find some of the info in the specs. I have never heard of the possibility of damage before. I would think the power conditioner would have to do something bad like spike the voltage to damage the caps.

#3 ·
While the amp will be happier plugged directly into the wall outlet I see no way that the conditioner could hurt the amplifier.

It would be hard for the average bear to know if the conditioner is limiting current. This cannot be measured with the typical DMM meter.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/20155761

Now if the power conditioner is the type that has active AC power line voltage correction, then it could damage the amplifier.

I don't think this should be an issue since most good power conditioners don't voltage correct or filter the high current banks. The outlets that you would plug amplifiers into. At least the units that I have don't. They are 15 amp banks. The same as plugging the amps into the wall except they offer protection against large over voltage and brown out voltage sags by cutting the power off completely to equipment until power returns to an acceptable stable level. The unit is also supposed to sacrifice itself in the event of lightning. Instead of blowing up your amps power supply while taking a lightning hit. I don't know for sure if this works and I hope I never have to find out. I have had all three of my dedicated amps, as well as four large subs plugged into high current banks in my power conditioners and never damaged any of my amps or lacked power in any way. This might be a different situation for cheaper quality protectors and conditioners that can limit current. Those do exist. I think that is why some amplifier companies have made this blanket statement about not using a protector of any kind. Many people just by a $8 dollar surge protector from the hardware store and start plugging their high current amps into them and start having issues with their amp. In this case you are most likely better off without the surge protector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.