Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 730 Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post

I have questions about the cables you mentioned.

Monoprice discribes the 2nd one as...
12ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer, and Composite Video)

How is that different than an old fashioned RCA to RCA hi-fi cable?
(as it relates to hooking up a sub to our VSX 521)

I like Monoprice procucts but what benefit do we get from this cable?

Thanks!

I have a new Pioneer VSX-521 with BIC F12. I ordered the 25ft length of the cable mentioned above from Monoprice. While waiting for it to arrive, I used standard RCA cable joined together with an extender to give me the 25ft length. I had a SW hum. When the Monoprice cable arrived, after connecting it, the hum disappeared. So for me, it worked above a standard RCA.

my wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. people on the other hand......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 730 Old 12-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Ok..i am at my wits end. I bought this thing on Monday and have been trying since yesterday to get it up and running...so far nothing. I am no expert, but not a moron..well maybe I am.

I have a motorola hdmi dvr set top box, a blue ray player and a tv...

So far i have tried hdmi from set top->avr ->tv (hdmi 1)...nothing no picture no sound. Then tried going around the cable box to see if I could get into set up. Did exactly what the diagram said (using comps) and nothing...hit receiver and no menu comes up. I didn't understand the one line in the manual where it said switch the tv to analog. When I pull up tv/sat on the avr it says digital...could not figure out how to change it. After a few seconds it keeps going back to demo mode...how can i get it off that?.

If anyone could walk me through what to try I would appreciate it. For cables at my disposal I have 5 HDMI's 1 set of component, 2 optical, 2 sets of rca's, several single audio cables and more than likely a few others kicking around.

I don't want to spend two hundred bucks to have some one set it up.......(I would tear my hair out if I had any....
post #333 of 730 Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 PM

You should only see the setup menu if you connected an RCA cable from your AVR (monitor out, I think) and to a TV composite video in. You then select the composite input on the TX and press the receiver button (not the power button, which is also labeled receiver), then press setup on the AVR remote. I don't recommend even trying that. Just use the use the AVR's display panel. It only shows one menu option at a time, so use the up/down arrows on the remote to change menu items and left/right arrows to change an menu's option.

If you don't have video, I cannot help. Maybe the cable box is not set to output via HDMI? Check with the cable co on that.
post #334 of 730 Old 12-29-2011, 06:57 AM

Well i don't know what happened but when i turned on the TV just now it opened also the receiver. I got a message about it checking or something, i turned on HDMI ARC and vouala! i have the tv's audio come out from the A/V. Wonder if it gonna work again

Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX720, Sony BDP-S480, Pioneer VSX-521-K, LaCie mini HD connect.
post #335 of 730 Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffydog View Post

Ok..i am at my wits end. I bought this thing on Monday and have been trying since yesterday to get it up and running...so far nothing. I am no expert, but not a moron..well maybe I am.

I have a motorola hdmi dvr set top box, a blue ray player and a tv...

So far i have tried hdmi from set top->avr ->tv (hdmi 1)...nothing no picture no sound. Then tried going around the cable box to see if I could get into set up. Did exactly what the diagram said (using comps) and nothing...hit receiver and no menu comes up. I didn't understand the one line in the manual where it said switch the tv to analog. When I pull up tv/sat on the avr it says digital...could not figure out how to change it. After a few seconds it keeps going back to demo mode...how can i get it off that?.

If anyone could walk me through what to try I would appreciate it. For cables at my disposal I have 5 HDMI's 1 set of component, 2 optical, 2 sets of rca's, several single audio cables and more than likely a few others kicking around.

I don't want to spend two hundred bucks to have some one set it up.......(I would tear my hair out if I had any....

I am right there with you. I am usually the one people call to come help set electronics and A/V up. This thing has me ready to throw it in the trash. Can't get the Wii nor my Blu Ray to work. No video nor audio for either. And my Directv box took me hours to figure out, finally having to do the assignable feature until it just happened to find it.

I would ask for help but I don't even know what to ask.
post #336 of 730 Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 AM

[quote=zaclies;21412583]I am right there with you. I am usually the one people call to come help set electronics and A/V up. This thing has me ready to throw it in the trash. Can't get the Wii nor my Blu Ray to work. No video nor audio for either. And my Directv box took me hours to figure out, finally having to do the assignable feature until it just happened to find it.

At least you made SOME progress.

Would you spell out your steps to getting your DirecTV working
via the 'assignable feature' ?

Thanks!

Bukzin
North California
post #337 of 730 Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaclies View Post

Can't get the Wii nor my Blu Ray to work. No video nor audio for either.

Don't forget that the 521 doesn't do upscaling... so if you've connected your Wii to the receiver via composite (yellow, red & white) or component (Y Pb Pr + Red & white audio) you much connect the receiver to the TV using the same types of connections. You then set the 521's input to whatever the Wii is connected to, then you set your TV to the matching input.

In other words, HDMI in to the receiver goes out to the TV via HDMI.

Compisite IN --> Composite Out

Component IN --> Component Out

If you have many composite and component devices, you should consider trading up for a model that can upscale all its inputs to HDMI.
post #338 of 730 Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got this receiver
TV: Vizio EV470vle
Is there something special that needs to be done to get audio back to the TV? I connected an optical spdif to the TV/Sat and into the audio out on the TV, according to the manual. I just want the option to play sound on TV over receiver. Manual says that's what I need to do, but it's not working.

Also, pass thru -- does this work? Can I get video with the receiver off? I read in this thread it may be an issue with cable set top boxes?

*I'm not sure if the TV supports ARC, I did some googling and searched this forum ... I did try turning it on, but no sound on TV.
post #339 of 730 Old 01-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Hdmi pass through does not work with all devices. It doesnt work with my cable box nor my wdtv, but it works with my BD player. I hooked up all my devices to the receiver except my cable box, which goes direct to TV. An optical cable from cable box out to the receiver allows me to watch movies and shows using the receiver and not lose 5.1 encoded tv shows.
post #340 of 730 Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

Hdmi pass through does not work with all devices. It doesnt work with my cable box nor my wdtv, but it works with my BD player. I hooked up all my devices to the receiver except my cable box, which goes direct to TV. An optical cable from cable box out to the receiver allows me to watch movies and shows using the receiver and not lose 5.1 encoded tv shows.

Thanks, I think that's what I'll have to do.
post #341 of 730 Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just got one of these receivers a few days ago and am waiting for delivery of a second Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 speaker (got a single one for Christmas) and a pair of Def Tech speaker stands. Thanks to everyone for their comments on setting up this receiver. It looks like I'll also be using an optical cable from the Comcast DVR to the receiver so I don't lose audio when I choose to watch TV without turning on the receiver. I'm guessing that my older Panasonic plasma doesn't have ARC capability.

post #342 of 730 Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Oops, posted in the wrong thread.
post #343 of 730 Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 PM

I've switched from a VSX-1021 (which displayed volume on a logarithmic scale) to the VSX-521 (which displays volume on a linear scale), as I was moving the 1021 to the living room and replaced it with a 521 for my desk.

I'm trying to figure out what a rough equivalent of the two volume scales would be. I used to run the 1021 at about -10dB (with the PC at half volume). Right now the 521 is running at 50, which isn't quite the same volume to my ears on the same speakers. The max volume of the 521 is 80, which I'm not sure is a scale that should be normalized to 100 (each step being 1.25 as opposed to 1) or not. One difference is that the 521 puts out 80 watts per channel vs the 90 watts per channel of the 1021. So I'm a bit confused as to how I'd go about finding this equivalency.
post #344 of 730 Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They are just scales. Turn it up to where you want it. Some that are measured in dBs might be set up to where 0 dB is "reference". Otherwise, it's just a moot point.

Sounds good!
post #345 of 730 Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 PM

Hi Everyone, I just received my 521k and Polk Monitor 60s for fronts and PSW 10 sub.I am using my HTPC For everything TV, movies, music etc. So far everything working wonderful, bitstreaming sounds just incredible. I also ordered Polk CS2 Series II Center Speaker and Polk RM8 for the rears. My questing is, do 521k got enough power for all those speakers?

Thanks
post #346 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 06:17 AM

yep, 110 watts to all 5 channels. Your sub has its own amp.
post #347 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Thank you toofart, now I can sleep well))
post #348 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Not exactly. It's actually 80 watts per channel. The 110 watt spec is only for 1khz at 8 ohms with 0.05%THD. Always look for the specs showing the power rating over the full spectrum of 20Hz-20,000Hz for the true power output.

post #349 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five28 View Post

Not exactly. It's actually 80 watts per channel. The 110 watt spec is only for 1khz at 8 ohms with 0.05%THD. Always look for the specs showing the power rating over the full spectrum of 20Hz-20,000Hz for the true power output.

So, that's still enough power ?
post #350 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A better way to figure out how much power you are really getting is to look at the wattage rating on the back of the unit. Lets say it says "400 watts". If it is a 5.1 system, that would be 80 watts per channel. In a 7.1 system, that would make 57 watts per channel. I know this is only approximate but, it gives you a idea.

Sounds good!
post #351 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaroha View Post

So, that's still enough power ?

Haha. Enough power for who? Everyone has their own personal preferences. I have a 120wpc receiver in my main home theater room as well as Definitive Tech bi-polar speakers with built in amps rated at 250 watts each for the two main towers and 350 watts for a separate powered sub. That is about 1400 watts total for that system. For me, that is more than enough. For others with huge rooms or a love of bass they may want much more. I have my VSX-521 in my living room and am slowly building a sound system for use with a plasma TV. The goal is decent 5.1 sound, nothing extreme. The 521 with it's 80 watts per channel is more than enough. I've had it for a couple weeks now and I am very pleased with it's performance.

post #352 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Thanks to everyone! I read all the posts and its answered all my questions.
post #353 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 PM

I am having trouble with the "midnight" feature on this receiver. Whenever I hit the Midnight/7 button my remote the display says, "CANT SEL" Any idea why this is and how to get it to work?
post #354 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan View Post

I am having trouble with the "midnight" feature on this receiver. Whenever I hit the Midnight/7 button my remote the display says, "CANT SEL" Any idea why this is and how to get it to work?

Hi vegan, press "Receiver" and then "Midnight/7".
post #355 of 730 Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi vegan, press "Receiver" and then "Midnight/7".

I tried that and no luck.
post #356 of 730 Old 01-09-2012, 05:17 AM

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying this tomorrow. Question though, I will be connecting my PC through it, and my TV has a native resolution of 1360x768 (it's not a "Full HD") - does the receiver pass through the EDID so that my computer will still "see" my TV and pick up it's native resolution, or will it force me to use 1280x720 or 1920x1080?

Cheers
post #357 of 730 Old 01-09-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfalz View Post

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying this tomorrow. Question though, I will be connecting my PC through it, and my TV has a native resolution of 1360x768 (it's not a "Full HD") - does the receiver pass through the EDID so that my computer will still "see" my TV and pick up it's native resolution, or will it force me to use 1280x720 or 1920x1080?

Cheers

No this A/V is not doing any upscaling, it only passes through the signal at whatever resolution that is.

Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX720, Sony BDP-S480, Pioneer VSX-521-K, LaCie mini HD connect.
post #358 of 730 Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 AM
g4s

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan View Post

Try taking the batteries out of the remote for a minute or so. I've had trouble getting the bass and treble buttons to work a few times on the remote. Doing that took care of it.

If that doesn't work you might try unplugging the receiver for a while or resetting it. (Page 38 in the manual)
post #359 of 730 Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venejo View Post

No this A/V is not doing any upscaling, it only passes through the signal at whatever resolution that is.

Can you confirm that the PC will be able to see my TV and it's native resolution through the receiver? Ie if you plugged yours into a PC through, would the display be detected as SONY TV?
post #360 of 730 Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Newbie question on Surround formats.
I have a new VSX-521K. I also just received a BIC F12 from Provantage for the sub..Thanks to the advice in this forum, along with 2 in wall 8" fronts. This week I'll order an in wall Center and two 5 1/4" in wall Surrounds.
I've searched, and have not really found an answer to what my lack of knowledge question is.
With my receiver, how do I select the various Lossless formats, such as DTS-HD Master Audio and the others? Is this automatically selected based on the source? I also have a PS3 for the Blu-Ray, Dish HD DVR, and DVD recorder.
The AVR manual indicates my receiver is capable of these formats, but doesn't specifically explain how to select them other than indicating "...The proper decoding format will automatically be selected and shows in the display." Now I realize that sentence seems to be the answer to my question however, is it the type of thing where it will select the "best" format, ie: DTS-HD etc., and not say Pro Logic or something like that? Thanks for all the advice.

my wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. people on the other hand......
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page