Official Pioneer VSX-521k owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 730 Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone else have a problem with the IR codes. I can't seem to get them to work other than the power on/off and volume. It says the codes are for the us models are they different for Australian models. If so does anyone have them?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 730 Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 AM

Hello AVS Forum,

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-521-k
DirecTV DVR: HR24
TV: Sony KDS-60A2000

I hooked up my new 521-k last weekend, most everything worked on the first try...but several times I go to watch tv and get sound but no picture.

I have seen several posts on this in the forum, but haven't seen any fixes, or replies so I thought I would post again. Sorry if it was already answered.

DVR to Receiver with HDMI cable
Receiver to TV with HDMI cable

When everything comes on I hear the sound but don't get a picture, I have found if I turn the input selector dial to a different input and then turn it back to DVR/BDR then sometimes the picture comes up, last night I had to do this 3 times before the picture came up.

I haven't sat down with the manuel and set everything up yet, I hope to do that this weekend.

I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion of what to do to fix this problem or possibly what is causing this problem seeing that several others have this same issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or possible fixes.

Steve
post #543 of 730 Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Hey guys, I purchased this reciever about a month ago. I have everything hooked up, but I really know think I have everything sounding as good as it could. My speakers are the big, pioneer 5.1 set up, I got them from best buy. The huge center channel, two floor standing, two bookshelf, and the sub.

I have everything forward facing around my TV, including the bookshelves, becayse this setup is in my bedroom and there is no way to position them behind me.

I did the setup utility through the OSD using the mic. But since my back speakers are forwared facing it says I dont have back speakers.

Here is my issue. I mainly use this setup for gaming on my xbox and PS3, but as it stands, the action in the game is very very loud when I have the volume around 45, but when it gets to talking parts, I have to turn it up to be able to hear it well enough for my taste, then turn it back down again when the action kicks off again.

I was under the impression that by buying such a huge center speaker I wouldn't have this issue. I'm almost positive my issue is in my settings, I just don't know enough about revievers or anything to get any good results tinkering. Thats why I came here, for help from people who know way more than I.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me.
post #544 of 730 Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 PM
mjh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulus View Post

I hooked up my new 521-k last weekend, most everything worked on the first try...but several times I go to watch tv and get sound but no picture.

I have had mine for a few months now, and this has never once happened to me. If I were in your shoes, I'd talk to whomever I purchased it from and try to get it fixed under warranty. That seems broken to me.
post #545 of 730 Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM

I am interested in getting this receiver but have a question....since it has a 2.1 pre-out does that mean that I can amplify externally the subwoofer and the surround speakers only? Front and centre speakers are out of the question?
post #546 of 730 Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshsdad View Post

I've got the exact same issue OOTB. No tuner audio. Everything else works great. Let me know what (if) you found/find out please!

^ did u try checking if your'e on fm mono or am
And not fm
Stereo, and do u have the fm antenna and the am antenna
Plugged in?
post #547 of 730 Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by galkno3 View Post

I am interested in getting this receiver but have a question....since it has a 2.1 pre-out does that mean that I can amplify externally the subwoofer and the surround speakers only? Front and centre speakers are out of the question?

the only preout is has is the sub preout...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #548 of 730 Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailjustinbyrd View Post

Hey guys, I purchased this reciever about a month ago. I have everything hooked up, but I really know think I have everything sounding as good as it could. My speakers are the big, pioneer 5.1 set up, I got them from best buy. The huge center channel, two floor standing, two bookshelf, and the sub.

I have everything forward facing around my TV, including the bookshelves, becayse this setup is in my bedroom and there is no way to position them behind me.

I did the setup utility through the OSD using the mic. But since my back speakers are forwared facing it says I dont have back speakers.

Here is my issue. I mainly use this setup for gaming on my xbox and PS3, but as it stands, the action in the game is very very loud when I have the volume around 45, but when it gets to talking parts, I have to turn it up to be able to hear it well enough for my taste, then turn it back down again when the action kicks off again.

I was under the impression that by buying such a huge center speaker I wouldn't have this issue. I'm almost positive my issue is in my settings, I just don't know enough about revievers or anything to get any good results tinkering. Thats why I came here, for help from people who know way more than I.

Hey, u need to turn on dynamic range control and or midnight mode, drc will lower the gap between very low sounds and very high and will raise the low talking sounds and lower the high action sounds (explosions etc) it works great for Dolby digital codecs but not so much for dts. For dts try putting drc on max and midnight mode on that's what i do to narrow the range late at night.
post #549 of 730 Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

the only preout is has is the sub preout...

That's what I thought when I saw the back of it but why do pioneer state "Pre-Amp Output 2.1 Ch (SW, SB/FH)"?
post #550 of 730 Old 04-09-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galkno3 View Post

That's what I thought when I saw the back of it but why do pioneer state "Pre-Amp Output 2.1 Ch (SW, SB/FH)"?

^^^There are 2 labeled pre out inputs, one is the dedicated powered subwoofer port and the other is for surround back or front height channels, or just a single to make it a 6.1 system and if u have the two will make it 7.1. But I believe that because this is not a dedicated 7.1 amp that the 2 extra channels will matrixed and not discrete, but not a big deal cuase there's not a lot of discrete 7.1 material.
post #551 of 730 Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Does anyone feel like there remote Is sluggish and unresponsive sometimes? I'm wondering if maybe my remote is defective unless it's just the way the remote is
post #552 of 730 Old 04-21-2012, 04:08 PM

Does anyone know how many hz the bass test tone is played at from the speaker level test option?? I'm trying to calculate for my spl meter
post #553 of 730 Old 04-21-2012, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailjustinbyrd View Post

Have you adjusted the output on your center channel after calibrating your system using MCAAC with the microphone? That setting should be used as a baseline, but feel free to tweak it to suit your tastes and room parameters. I found that I had trouble hearing some dialogue so I simply raised the volume on the center channel using the buttons at the bottom of the remote marked "CH SELECT" and then "LEV+" and "LEV-". I now have really clear dialogue and am still impressed with this budget receiver. Good luck.

post #554 of 730 Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM

Just finished setting up the 521 with the Pioneer speakers to a new Sony TV and a Topfield Hard Disk recorder. Topfield connected to Receiver via HDMI to DVD input of Receiver. TV connected via HDMI to Receiver output with Control and ARC active. Everything powered up and it sounds great playing either the Topfield or the TV - all good so far.
If I have the Receiver playing the TV through the Receiver and surround speakers and turn the Topfield off, the Receiver remains powered on but the TV loses connection with the Receiver and switches to the TV speakers.
Also when I switch input from DVD to TV, the Receiver doesn't recognise the TV input until I change the TV channel.
I've checked the manual and read this thread but can't work out what I've done wrong in connecting the components. Thanks in advance.
post #555 of 730 Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ctrosurf View Post

Just finished setting up the 521 with the Pioneer speakers to a new Sony TV and a Topfield Hard Disk recorder. Topfield connected to Receiver via HDMI to DVD input of Receiver. TV connected via HDMI to Receiver output with Control and ARC active. Everything powered up and it sounds great playing either the Topfield or the TV - all good so far.
If I have the Receiver playing the TV through the Receiver and surround speakers and turn the Topfield off, the Receiver remains powered on but the TV loses connection with the Receiver and switches to the TV speakers.
Also when I switch input from DVD to TV, the Receiver doesn't recognise the TV input until I change the TV channel.
I've checked the manual and read this thread but can't work out what I've done wrong in connecting the components. Thanks in advance.

That is what control with hdmi does, turn off arc and control with hdmi, and vice versa, what is it that your expecting it to do when u turn your recorder off? And also do u mean when you change the input on the reciever or tv? And what do u mean by it doesn't reckognise it? Like no picture/audio display text etc. every once in a while when I turn my cable on it won't have any audio through the amp until I press a button on the cable remote
post #556 of 730 Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that when I switch the input on the receiver from DVD to TV (while the HDD recorder is on) the TV sound plays through the receiver and speakers. If I turn off the HDD Recorder, the Receiver stays powered up, but the TV puts a message on screen saying communication with audio system was lost and that it is reverting to TV speakers. Turn the HDD recorder back on and it recognises the audio system is active and plays through the Receiver.
If the HDD Recorder is powered on and I turn off the TV is also turns off the Receiver (which is what I thought Control did).
I am confused that I need to have the HDD Recorder powered on, even when I'm only using the TV and Receiver.
Thanks for your help.
post #557 of 730 Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ctrosurf View Post

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that when I switch the input on the receiver from DVD to TV (while the HDD recorder is on) the TV sound plays through the receiver and speakers. If I turn off the HDD Recorder, the Receiver stays powered up, but the TV puts a message on screen saying communication with audio system was lost and that it is reverting to TV speakers. Turn the HDD recorder back on and it recognises the audio system is active and plays through the Receiver.
If the HDD Recorder is powered on and I turn off the TV is also turns off the Receiver (which is what I thought Control did).
I am confused that I need to have the HDD Recorder powered on, even when I'm only using the TV and Receiver.
Thanks for your help.

Ok, I am still a little confused as to what your'e saying but first, when u say tv, I assume u
Mean the tv input on the reciever which is a hdmi Input, what is the source u have connected to that? A cable box? I understand u have your'e recorder connected to the hdmi DVD input right?
So I think your problem is that when your done using your recorder whether u turn it off or switch the input back to "tv" it goes back to the tv speakers, that shouldn't happen unless your trying to turn the recorder of by the reciever, or turning the reciever off. The only reason it changes to to the tv speakers is because u have control with hdmi on, have u went to options on the tv, selected speakers and then selected audio system?, also, try turning off the control with hdmi and arc, and on your tv have you went to settings, channels/inputs, HDMI settings, device list, then select enable to send a ping to connected devices, it could also be that your'e recorder doesn't have control with hdmi and you'll have to use it with it off or connect it directly to your tv and use and optical and or digital coax for audio..
post #558 of 730 Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM

My unit stopped working after 2 months. No audio or video is output.
It is in the shop for servicing, they are going to replace the digital board (?)
post #559 of 730 Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM

Thanks for this. I too have wanted to boost the center channel for dialog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five28 View Post

Have you adjusted the output on your center channel after calibrating your system using MCAAC with the microphone? That setting should be used as a baseline, but feel free to tweak it to suit your tastes and room parameters. I found that I had trouble hearing some dialogue so I simply raised the volume on the center channel using the buttons at the bottom of the remote marked "CH SELECT" and then "LEV+" and "LEV-". I now have really clear dialogue and am still impressed with this budget receiver. Good luck.

post #560 of 730 Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM

Not true. I have a fat PS3. Under Settings->Video Settings->BD Audio Output Format (HDMI), I can set bitstreaming or PCM. With bitstreaming, I do see the DTS-HD and True-HD indicators on the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

yes, the slim ps3 will bitstream the codecs as desired... the fat one will not...

post #561 of 730 Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moritzio View Post

@
post #562 of 730 Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moritzio View Post

@ Moritzio, Remember after you have used MCAAC the decibel levels it chose are because it has set each channel level so that they are equal to each other, so when you change any
Single channels level it will throw off all the speakers equalization, I wud try to set the DRC and or midnight mode first, and if u have to then raise the center channel no more then 1 or 2 decibels. gl
post #563 of 730 Old 05-06-2012, 04:05 PM

Will MCACC work for 2.0/2.1 setups, or will it only work for multi-channel stuff? How does MCACC compare w/ Audyssey for correction in difficult rooms?
post #564 of 730 Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

- yes, as long as you have at least 1 pair of speakers, it works...

- at this price level, likely "the same"... i "believe" that any audyssey equipped avrs at this price level are 2eq only (i.e. no sub)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #565 of 730 Old 05-11-2012, 05:07 AM

Hey guys,

new to buying a receiver and a sound setup. Just wanted some advice on the setup i was planning to buy.

I was planning on getting the 521 but just wanted to know how well it would work with these yamaha NSP40 speakers. richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/yamaha/nsp40/yama-nsp40-blk

Been trying to match the ohms for the speakers and receiver but want another opinion.

btw is the vsx-521 very different to a vsx-521k?

Thanks
post #566 of 730 Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 AM

^
post #567 of 730 Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM

@M2Jay^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2jay View Post

Hey guys,

new to buying a receiver and a sound setup. Just wanted some advice on the setup i was planning to buy.

I was planning on getting the 521 but just wanted to know how well it would work with these yamaha NSP40 speakers. richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/yamaha/nsp40/yama-nsp40-blk

Been trying to match the ohms for the speakers and receiver but want another opinion.

btw is the vsx-521 very different to a vsx-521k?

Thanks

M2jay, hey this receiver is a great receiver if you like a nice clean sound, and all the settings you actually need.

Those speakers are fine, but those are home theater in a box speakers, If you want to get a 5.1 speaker package I would recommend getting anything that at least has bookshelf speakers as the left and rights instead of satellite all around. But you could always use the subwoofer to produce the lows and mid bass that the satellites can't make. But it won't be the same. It depends what you want, and watch most.

You don't need to match the ohms, all you need is speakers that don't go below the the 6ohm impedance it can handle safely. One thing you want to look for is what frequency range the speakers u want can produce w/o distortion. The lower the hz, and higher the kHz the better for example my pioneers are 45hz-20khz.

About the difference between the vsx521 and 521-k, I don't believe there is any, I think the one w/o the K is a European model, I know that last years version of this a/v receiver didn't come with MCACC though, so I would just make sure that the one you get has that as it works great if you don't have an spl meter. Gl
post #568 of 730 Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
K designates the color of the receiver is Black, if it were S it would designate Silver.
post #569 of 730 Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 AM

@ moxie1617 ^

Oh I see, good to know thanks, i dont see why they don't just put B heh
post #570 of 730 Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 AM

cheers for the info Csylvester87.

What speaker package would you recommend for around the same price as the yamaha? dont mind paying a little bit more for better quality.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page