AVS Forum banner

Official Pioneer VSX-521k owners thread

196K views 760 replies 229 participants last post by  perversor 
#1 ·
Just starting this (like my Onkyo 608 last year). Mine has arrived. Will test tonight or tomorrow:

1. Perfomace with Deftech 7002

2. Samsung UN55D7000 with ARC

3. Mediacenter extender (XBOX360)

4. PS3 for Blu-Ray

I will also try and program my Logitech remote and see if the codes are there. I may have to use the 520 (or 820k) temorarily.

If you want to know the price i paid just PM me (like Last year) and I will give you the name of the person at "big place" in chicagoland and make him honor the "pre-order" price and free ship etc (yes, beats Amazon)

sjc

#603 ·
I saw this in the description of the vsx-521...
Quote:
Even compressed audio such as WMA, MP3 and AAC is enhanced with another Pioneer exclusive, Advanced Sound Retriever, by filling in areas where minute details were left out during the compression process.
I was under the impression that this receiver did not, natively, process aac.

I even tested with xbmc, checking the aac capability, and it only sent stereo sound without lighting up any special indicators.

The test was with a 5.1 aac movie.

Has anyone actually passed aac?

Currently, I just use ffdshow to transcode, live, to dd.

JJ

#604 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregleslie  /t/1321970/official-pioneer-vsx-521k-owners-thread/600#post_22300739

Hi gang -- I'm trying to hook up a Wii. Doesn't SEEM like this would be hard...

The TV is a Sony KDL-46Z4100, I have component cables from the Wii to the VSX-521 (DVD input), and component cables from the receiver to the Sony.

The problem is this: When I select DVD on the 521, it selects the HDMI input on the Sony (where the 521 is coming in). If I then change the input on the Sony to COMPONENT 2, the Sony tells the 521 to switch to TV/SAT audio.

I do have the 521's component input set to DVD.

Seems to be a battle of HDMI controls. Is there a way to have the 521 tell the TV to use its component input and not HDMI when I select DVD?

thanks for any advice,

Greg Leslie

Tulsa

Do you have ARC in TV ? If yes, you can get the sound via ARC from TV. i.e. DVD -->TV-->521 in this way you wont have to change the input for the receiver.

However, if this isnt the case then to control the 521 and TV separetely you would need to have the HDMI Control turned off in the receiver or have the Receiver as Turned off in the TV. So that TV and Receiver do not interfere in each other's control.

#605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhetag  /t/1321970/official-pioneer-vsx-521k-owners-thread/600#post_22302690

Do you have ARC in TV ? If yes, you can get the sound via ARC from TV. i.e. DVD -->TV-->521 in this way you wont have to change the input for the receiver.

However, if this isnt the case then to control the 521 and TV separetely you would need to have the HDMI Control turned off in the receiver or have the Receiver as Turned off in the TV. So that TV and Receiver do not interfere in each other's control.

From what I can tell, ARC is only associated with the TV/SAT input of the 521. I'm not sure how that helps with a component signal. Tell me if I'm missing something.

If I hook the Wii directly to the TV, select the TV's Component input, then turn off the 521, the Wii's sound is routed to the TV's internal speakers. Better than nothing, I suppose. I would really miss having the TV control the 521.

Thanks for the input (no pun intended).

#606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregleslie  /t/1321970/official-pioneer-vsx-521k-owners-thread/600#post_22304397

From what I can tell, ARC is only associated with the TV/SAT input of the 521. I'm not sure how that helps with a component signal. Tell me if I'm missing something.

If I hook the Wii directly to the TV, select the TV's Component input, then turn off the 521, the Wii's sound is routed to the TV's internal speakers. Better than nothing, I suppose. I would really miss having the TV control the 521.

Thanks for the input (no pun intended).

Not sure if I still correctly understand your problem. You want to have sound from receiver and without problems of control. I am suggesting that you always get sound from Receiver via TV's ARC. i.e. Connect all your sources directly to TV and get sound from receiver via ARC. So if you get input via Component into your TV then TV (if TV has ARC) should output the sound via ARC.

In this case your receiver will always be associated with TV/SAT input via ARC, the source selection you will do on the TV. You wont have to change source on the receiver so your sound setup will remain unchanged while you watch TV (Sat TV) or connect another device with TV.

#607 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhetag  /t/1321970/official-pioneer-vsx-521k-owners-thread/600#post_22305852

Not sure if I still correctly understand your problem. You want to have sound from receiver and without problems of control. I am suggesting that you always get sound from Receiver via TV's ARC. i.e. Connect all your sources directly to TV and get sound from receiver via ARC. So if you get input via Component into your TV then TV (if TV has ARC) should output the sound via ARC.

In this case your receiver will always be associated with TV/SAT input via ARC, the source selection you will do on the TV. You wont have to change source on the receiver so your sound setup will remain unchanged while you watch TV (Sat TV) or connect another device with TV.

Ah. I get it now. No video sources go into the 521, and the only audio input is coming from the TV. Makes sense -- thanks.

#608 ·
When temperature in my room goes above 23C° 74F° my reciever hangs. It keeps on, but my TV gets no signal anymore. With only tuner, it's same story.

Unable to turn it off by remote or button on the reviever itself, it doesnt react. Only solution is to unplug the power.

Is this normal? There is left, right and on top 3cm space. On the back the closet is open and standing few cm from the wall

#609 ·
Hi guys, pls pardon me as I am really not knowledgeable about HiFi systems. I have this really old pair of Sony speakers and would like to know if they will work with the VSX-521k.

Speaker Specs:

Model: Sony SS-H801V, 3way Bass Reflex

Maximum input power: 150W

Sensitivity: 87dm/W/m

Rated Impedance: 6 ohms

#610 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokkok  /t/1321970/official-pioneer-vsx-521k-owners-thread/600#post_22317168

Hi guys, pls pardon me as I am really not knowledgeable about HiFi systems. I have this really old pair of Sony speakers and would like to know if they will work with the VSX-521k.

Speaker Specs:

Model: Sony SS-H801V, 3way Bass Reflex

Maximum input power: 150W

Sensitivity: 87dm/W/m

Rated Impedance: 6 ohms

Sure they'll work. They may not offer the best sound but if you're on a budget you won't have to buy new speakers.

#611 ·
I have a Pioneer AV Receiver model VSK-521-K.

I am having trouble delivering a HDMI signal from any AV device to the HDTV via HDMI connections. Connecting the AV devices directly to the HDTV produces video and sound. When routing the signal through the VSX-521-K, my HDTV indicates No Signal and the HDMI indicator blinks continuously on the AV receiver. However, when I have all devices off and routed through the AV receiver, the TV will power itself on when I turn on a AV device (e.g., the BD player) but still no video signal seems to pass through the AV receiver.

I have confirmed that the HDMI cables work properly.

Any assistance will be very appreciated.

--Mike.

#612 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvd_be  /t/1321970/official-pioneer-vsx-521k-owners-thread/600#post_22315359

When temperature in my room goes above 23C° 74F° my reciever hangs. It keeps on, but my TV gets no signal anymore. With only tuner, it's same story.

Unable to turn it off by remote or button on the reviever itself, it doesnt react. Only solution is to unplug the power.

Is this normal? There is left, right and on top 3cm space. On the back the closet is open and standing few cm from the wall

Wrong messag about the tuner. If the tuner is on, after a while you can't power off the reciever. Changing source or volume is working. Strange!

#613 ·
Can someone help a newbie doofus out. I have floorstander front l/c speakers and want to use a sub for below 40hz for 2.1 Stereo material. (in addition to 5.1 viewing) What is the best way to accomplish this. I currently use the lfe input on the sub via rca All is well watching 5.1 material.

Should i do a basic MAAC run and then

1) Change the sub woofer setting to plus

and/or

2) set the front channel settings to small even though they are large and can go to 40hz? And then manually set the receiver x over?

Two other quick sub questions

After calibration should one set their sub to the highest x over since its being handled by the pioneer anyway?

Should you control the sub volume on the sub or by osd adjustment ...

Optimally id like the front channels to go to 40 and have the sub pick up below with some but not huge overlap because the floor-standers are very nicely integrated top to bottom.

Thank you in advance.

#614 ·
I hope this question hasnt been answered already, or if anyone still reads this place. I have my receiver hooked up to my direct tv via HDMI and then connected to the Panasonic 55" Viera PlasmaTV. Everything works. My question is, why do I have to push it all the way to 40 to get any sound????

#616 ·
Hi guys, my first post here. Been reading this thread and purchased the VSX-521 to replace my 10-year old Yamaha AVR.

I have some problems though, and this is what happened:

1. Connected my WDTV to Optical 1 (TV/SAT), WORKED but after a couple of days - NO SOUND.

2. Connected my Macbook Pro to Optical 2 (CDR/TAPE) - WORKED.

3. So, connected again my WDTV to Optical 2 (CDR/TAPE) and IT WORKED again.

4. However, when I select Optical 1 (TV/SAT), I can still hear the WDTV playing, even though no cable is connected at O1. Weird.

Did I miss something?

#618 ·
Hello there,

ive been using a pioneer vsx-521-k reciever and i must say its been a good little performer,

Two days ago for no reason my power tripped out while watching tv ...... a panasonic TH-42px600a .........after turning the power back on at the meter i come back inside only to find the tv doesnt turn on...

I buy a new tv.........a cheap vivo led lcd tv

***********My problem is i can no longer turn up/down the volume on my reciever using my dvd recorder remote.........and also i would like to know if i can watch my tv with the reciever powered off?

Ill explain my setup now

Foxtel>>>>>>>Panasonic dvd recorder dmr-xw385 via av inputs

From outdoor antenna>>>>>> Panasonic dvd recorder dmr-xw385 via RF in

From Panasonic dvd recorder RF out>>>>>>vivo television LEDTV46FHD

From Panasonic dvd recorder hdmi out >>>>>>>pioneer reciever VSX-521-k {dvd hdmi input}

From Reciever HDMI out >>>>>>>>>>>>>HDMI in on the television

I really dont want my amp/reciever on permanantly during the day just to watch tv sometimes nobody even watching!so is it possible to watch tv without having to turn the reciever on........

thanks in advance tony

#619 ·
Hi I am Rajarajan for Chennai , India I newly bought Pioneer 521 AV(3d ready) receiver and pioneer blue ray player BDP 440 to mate with my 3d LED display when playing 3D movies from Blue ray directly to Tv it playing well and I have no problem. But when I route through 521 i am getting an error message on the tv screen that

"This Blue-Ray Disc requires a blue ray 3D player connected to a 3D display. Your Blue-3D player has not detected that it is connected to a 3D display. this may be due to display capability or an equipment connection issue. Please consult your Blue-ray manual or player support website for more information"

I have connected all the equipment with blekin 1.4a version 3d highspeed HDMI cable .

I also checked with indian Pioneer corp they keep silence pl any one knows the solution pllet me know

#620 ·
Hey guys!

Just got my 521-K a few days ago when it went on sale, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it! I just have a few minor questions, though:

1.) When I turn it on, it automatically defaults to the TV/SAT setting. How do I configure this so that it defaults to, say, DVD?

2.) When watching my WDTV that is connected to the receiver via HDMI, I find it cool that when I adjust the receiver's volume, a small OSD also comes up. However, the volume displayed on the OSD is not the same as what is shown in the speaker (i.e. OSD says 62, but receiver displays 50).

3.) What is the difference between direct, pure direct, and auto surround? I read the manual a couple of times and I don't completely understand it.

4.) If I wanted to use the pre-out for an additional 2 speakers (for 7.1) do I need another receiver? Or is there an amp that can handle just that input and output to just two speakers?

Thanks!

#622 ·
For some reason the pass-through function works with my blu-ray player (Philips BDP 2700) but does not work with the Pioneer DV-430V which come with the package I bought. I can play blu-ray discs on my player without turning the VSX on. I am quite new here so I still have a lot of questions.

#623 ·
FYI...

I got a sub, yesterday.

I hooked it up, adjusted the settings on the sub and receiver.

I played some heavy bass rap and nothing from the sub.

I played the beginning of 2 Fast 2 Furious (good bass) and the sub worked.

It ended up being that I had my mains set to large.

Because of that, the sub didn't work on anything other than x.1 audio (LFE channel audio).

I set my mains to small and the sub started working for music.

JJ

#624 ·
New to the forum and have a question that I could not find a definitive answer to. I have a Pioneer VSX-521k receiver that is currently running a standard 5.1 system with the sub being powered by the amp pre-out. I know this receiver does not have two separate zones, but I want to run 3-4 additional speakers that will play whatever is being sent via the receiver. Can I just use a speaker selector which would rely on the receiver power to run speakers? Or can I get an amplifier that receives a signal from the speaker pre-out on the receiver and then hook the speakers to that? Finally, my sub is a Dayton Audio powered sub that has 2 outputs to speakers on the backside. Can this sub power speakers safely?

I simply want to install some listening speakers in the garage and outside area. I do not need killer sound, just something clear and loud enough to listen reasonably.

Thanks for any suggestions! I am open to all ideas (except for spending the $$ to get a new receiver)

- Joe

#625 ·
The thread is gigantic so I would be grateful if anyone who's read it can post:

Have we found that better HDMI cables resolve this known issue or not: Problems appearing in "form of snow on the TV after changing a channel" and short bursts of "blackouts" .

Has anyone who had this problem resolved it through different HDMI cables or is this not a cable issue?

#626 ·
I have noticed that the VSX-521 will suddenly have a loud buzz come out of the speakers. It has only happened 2 or 3 times so far. I have had the unit in use for about 12 months. The only way to fix it is to shut the receiver down and then turn it back on. Anyone else notice this? Is it a defective unit, or is this something that happens now and then and is normal?

#627 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem and I was hoping maybe someone could shed some light on the issue. I bought my VSX-521-K about 8 months ago, and only used it maybe twice a month. I have it hooked up to a 5.0 system (klipsch front and center speakers, and bic surrounds). I'm not currently using a subwoofer, although I've been in the market for one lately. Anyways, today I bought a projector and hooked my receiver up. I ran the HDMI from my PS3 to the BD input on my receiver, and ran the video out via HDMI to the projector. Everything ran great, for 20 minutes. Then the receiver shut off. I was adjusting the surround sound setting, and it turned off without any warning. Now it won't turn back on - it doesn't even make the clicking noise, and none of the lights turn on either. I've tried troubleshooting by looking for short circuits from the speaker inputs, I've tried disconnecting the speakers, I've unplugged it and let it rest for a few hours...nothing has worked so far. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what may be wrong, and/or what I could do about this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.