g4s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylisbest View Post

Hello Everyone,

I just got one of these about two weeks ago. I noticed the other day that the dubbing was off while watching blu-Ray. Just a fraction of a second off, but off nonetheless. It happens on all my discs, and the dubbing is NOT off when the BD player is connected directly through the TV, so clearly the issue lies in HDMI relay in the Pioneer.

I am new to HDMI so is there an adjustment I'm supposed to make? This doesn't seem like it is defective, but it is REALLY annoying.

Any information would be great, thanks so much!

P.S. I have a Samsung 1080pLCD TV, and a Sony BD player, if that makes any difference.

There's a couple things you can try. S.Delay (sound delay) and A. Dly (auto delay) Check out page 28 in the manual. Might work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 729 Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylisbest View Post

I just got one of these about two weeks ago. I noticed the other day that the dubbing was off while watching blu-Ray. Just a fraction of a second off, but off nonetheless. It happens on all my discs, and the dubbing is NOT off when the BD player is connected directly through the TV, so clearly the issue lies in HDMI relay in the Pioneer.

If I understand correctly, you're saying the audio channel is not in perfect sync with the video channel?

Try using Auto Delay (A.DLY -- p. 28 of the manual). Also, try using the DIRECT mode (manual page 26). Or, try adjusting the sound delay (S.DELAY) -- see page 28 of the manual. Auto delay should work for you.
post #123 of 729 Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Correct, the video channel and audio channel are not...well, in sync. I'll try what you guys suggested later today. Thank you, I really don't want to take this unit back.
post #124 of 729 Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Hey thanks everyone. Auto delay didn't work, but I was able to get it close enough via the sound delay mode.

Much obliged!
post #125 of 729 Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Cool to know Vinyl
post #126 of 729 Old 08-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

There is a loudness control. When you push the 7/Midnight button on the remote it switches between Midnight/Loudness and off.

Thanks for this, probably wouldn't have found that setting otherwise (since I don't ever turn on midnight mode)
Doesn't sound quite the same so I may experiment with eq settings but its nice to know it is there.
post #127 of 729 Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM

"The Loudness function is used to get good bass and treble from music sources at low volume"

Not really what I would consider traditional Loudness, but hey...
post #128 of 729 Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

"The Loudness function is used to get good bass and treble from music sources at low volume"

Before I tried this receiver I was using a Denon AVR-591 (in my den below the master bedroom) and I had to turn off Dynamic EQ late at night because of the receiver's presence (low-end). When I tried the Pioneer it was completely missing even by going +6 with Bass from the remote or using Loudness (I didn't like Loudness at all). It couldn't even match the Denon with Dynamic EQ off.

The Pioneer does sound clean which isn't bad I just prefer a little thump (not overly so). Especially at lower volume levels. I decided to return it. I'm now trying a Onkyo TX-NR509 (roughly the same price) and as soon as I turned it on I noticed that presence was back. Not quite as heavy as the Denon but almost. I'd say just about the right amount...

Funny thing is my wife came home the day I installed it and was upstairs in the bedroom and as soon as she walked into the den said she felt the bass upstairs. Not once did she ever say such about the Pioneer.
post #129 of 729 Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 AM

I have noticed that it sounds really "clean" too. Being able to sound clean is a good thing but I had hoped that the loudness option would add that extra low end for certain types of music (actually, I like it all of the time really...feels more warm and enveloping).

I guess I will be on the lookout for a cheapish subwoofer to complement the system before the next time I throw a party...
post #130 of 729 Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but i just bought this receiver to replace my Samsung AS720 that stopped working after about a year and a half (which apparently is normal for this model)

With my Samsung when i turned of the TV (also a Samsung 46", cant remember the exact model right now) the sound wont come from the speakers even thou the receiver was still on. How can i get the same with the VSX 521?

I have everything hooked up with HDMI and i turned HDMI control on in the settings menu. I just want to be able to power off the tv and have no sound from the speakers.
post #131 of 729 Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

so... the difference between, say, -35db on your display and -25db on the display isn't "a little bit", it's actually "10 times as loud"...

hth...

My 521 is displaying a volume level without a scale like 10, 20, 30, 40 (with 40 being louder than 30, etc) but you guys are talking about the negative db readings like my old panasonic had.

Is there a way to get my 521 to display dbs off reference instead of the random linear increasing scale?
post #132 of 729 Old 09-09-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

off the top of my head, i don't recall if the 521 has the option to switch it (other pios do, so it may)....

go to your manual, and see if there is an option to set the volume display to "absolute"... i don't have that one handy, sorry...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #133 of 729 Old 09-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urir10 View Post

I just want to be able to power off the tv and have no sound from the speakers.

If your TV supports the ARC (audio return channel) make sure you enable ARC on the pioneer. Check the manual for info on how to do that. Using ARC if you turn the tv off it will cut sound to the speakers. Actually, if you have Control with HDMI set to ON, turning the TV off should also turn the receiver off.
post #134 of 729 Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but i just bought this receiver to replace my Samsung AS720 that stopped working after about a year and a half (which apparently is normal for this model)

With my Samsung when i turned of the TV (also a Samsung 46", cant remember the exact model right now) the sound wont come from the speakers even thou the receiver was still on. How can i get the same with the VSX 521?

I have everything hooked up with HDMI and i turned HDMI control on in the settings menu. I just want to be able to power off the tv and have no sound from the speakers.

Hi urir10, I too came to this receiver from an Samsung AS720. I'm not entirely sure what it is you're trying to achieve, but toofart is correct: when HDMI control is enabled on the receiver, and Anynet is enabled on the television, then the receiver will automatically power off when the tv is turned off.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #135 of 729 Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 PM

Hey all, I'm pretty new to all this stuff and I'm confused on how to audio any type out of my speakers with the receiver.

My dad gave me 2 KEF 103.3 speakers so I hooked the speakers up to the receiver. Then I had a splitter for my iPhone/Mac which I plugged into the CD port first which didn't work and then continued to plug the splitter into the other ports that just had a white and red input. Still no audio at all so I decided to switch it to tuner or what I believe is the radio and there was still no sound. I double checked and the speakers ect are correctly plugged in to the receiver. So if someone could maybe guide me through getting the speakers to work that would be great. Once again like I said before I really don't know much about any of this stuff so any help is appreciated. If I don't get it sorted out soon I'll just bring all my stuff to best buy and see if they can help me. Thanks
post #136 of 729 Old 09-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonlyjme View Post
Hey all, I'm pretty new to all this stuff and I'm confused on how to audio any type out of my speakers with the receiver.

My dad gave me 2 KEF 103.3 speakers so I hooked the speakers up to the receiver. Then I had a splitter for my iPhone/Mac which I plugged into the CD port first which didn't work and then continued to plug the splitter into the other ports that just had a white and red input. Still no audio at all so I decided to switch it to tuner or what I believe is the radio and there was still no sound. I double checked and the speakers ect are correctly plugged in to the receiver. So if someone could maybe guide me through getting the speakers to work that would be great. Once again like I said before I really don't know much about any of this stuff so any help is appreciated. If I don't get it sorted out soon I'll just bring all my stuff to best buy and see if they can help me. Thanks

Alright so I figured it out, I had them plugged into the surr. speakers not the front speakers. With that said it's very quiet and its because only the mid range speakers are playing the tweeter and base are not. To reiterate each of the speakers has a mid, tweeter, and base but only the mid is playing. Any idea why that is?
post #137 of 729 Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 PM

Here some of the tips on page 14 from manual................

Your TV must support HMDI audio return channel

If your TV does not support HMDI audio return channel, connect the receiver and TV with audio cables ( as show).... read the manual please.
If your TV support HMDI audio return channel, the sound of the TV is input to the receiver via HMDI terminal, so there is no need to connect an audio cable. In this case, set ARC at HMDI setup is on (see HMDI setup page 34)

If the receiver connect to TV using an HMDI cable, OSD will not be display. Be sure use a standard RCA analog video cable to connect. In this case, switch the TV input to analog to see OSD screen (for setup, etc....).....

Page 14 alone will fix 80% problems people posted here
post #138 of 729 Old 09-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikpel View Post

Have not used the device for 2 months. I go to turn it on and nothing... power is there.

When I plug and unplug it, I do hear a two click sound?

help!

mikpel@hotmail.com

Turned out the power supply internally stopped worked. Under warranty so it was fixed for free. However, I bought another receiver online so if anyone wants this one (fixed and works great) let me know and we will make a deal. mikpel at hotmail.com
post #139 of 729 Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Hi urir10, I too came to this receiver from an Samsung AS720. I'm not entirely sure what it is you're trying to achieve, but toofart is correct: when HDMI control is enabled on the receiver, and Anynet is enabled on the television, then the receiver will automatically power off when the tv is turned off.

Thanks for the replies.

One other question since you moved from an AS 720 as well. Do you find the the HD quality is not as good with the Pioneer receiver? or is it just me? which one do you like more?
post #140 of 729 Old 09-17-2011, 11:30 AM

New here.

We have just replaced our Denon that was destroyed by a lightning strike with the Pioneer 521. I really have no exprerience with setting up surround sound outside of just plug and play type stuff. Here is what I have.

Vizio vx37L 1080i
Pioneer 521 k
Insignia NS-HT51 speakers
Xbox 360 slim
Dish Network HD DVR

I will be adding a blue-ray player soon to replace one that was also destroyed from the ligtning strike.

I have all speakers wired and connected to the reciever. I have my DVR running into the reciever by HDMI and my Xbox 360 also connected by HDMI to the reciever. Eventually BD will also be connected by HDMI. From the reciever I have an HDMI cable going to my Vizio tv.

I do have a delay when changing channels, and also when I first turn the reciever and tv on, I get sound but no picture. I turn tv off and back on, sometimes a couple times, then picture shows up. Kinda annoying, but nothing I can't live with.

What I would like to know is how to set the reciever (what settings would be good to achieve a nice surround sound), with the Denon I had good sound and was easy to set up, but with the 521 I really don't notice my back surround speakers much, and the Bass (subwoofer) is not as loud (or prominent) as with the Denon. I do notice the center speaker and the two side speakers and my subwoofer (just the subwoofer is not as booming as with the Denon).
I have my subwoofer auto set "ON",
Phase at 0°,
Volume about 3/4,
Crossover at 160Hz.

I have Auto Surround/Stream Direct button set on Auto. ALC/Standard Surr set to Pro Logic II Movie. Advanced Surround set to Unplugged. Sound Retriever Air (not sure what this is for or if I need it set. Sound Retriever button, again ? I'm really terrible with manuals when it comes to things I have no idea about.

Thanks for any help.

edit: I forgot to mention, when I set up the speakers I did use the microphone in the center of the room to set the speakers automatically.
post #141 of 729 Old 09-17-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks for the replies.

One other question since you moved from an AS 720 as well. Do you find the the HD quality is not as good with the Pioneer receiver? or is it just me? which one do you like more?

The only video signals I've passed through either receiver were HDMI and the picture is exactly the same. Unless you're running analog video, it's not possible that there would be any difference in picture between one receiver and the other unless something's wrong with the receiver itself.

I definitely prefer the Pioneer over the Samsung AS720. It's no contest. The Pioneer is built like a brick shithouse - heavy and rugged - while the Samsung was one logic board literally rattling around inside a big empty box. The Pioneer decodes TrueHD as well as DTS-HD, which the Samsung cannot. The Pioneer has MCACC, which drastically improves the soundscape. And ironically the Pioneer works better with Anynet+ and my Samsung television than the Samsung receiver ever did. Not to mention the Pioneer has more HDMI ports and is 3D-ready for when I cross that bridge.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #142 of 729 Old 09-17-2011, 05:11 PM

Hey guys, completely new to the whole home theatre setup. I have it all working on multiple devices except for the TV. The tv is connected via HDMI to the amp, it is also then connected via an optical cable, I am unable to get sound through normal tv. Can someone advise how to connect it properly or is there a setting I am missing.

I have gone through the tv setup options and can't find anything there.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #143 of 729 Old 09-17-2011, 05:56 PM

natharas: the pioneer will strip the audio channels from the hdmi inputs so that it is the sound player, not your TV.

You can configure the pioneer to pass-though sound onto your tv (but the pioneer won't play it) or you can do like I did -- connect your cable/sat box directly to your TV, and use an optical cable from the sat box to the receiver. that way you can watch ordinary tv without turning the receiver on, and set receiver to optical input to play tv sound on the tv AND receiver.
post #144 of 729 Old 09-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

natharas: the pioneer will strip the audio channels from the hdmi inputs so that it is the sound player, not your TV.

You can configure the pioneer to pass-though sound onto your tv (but the pioneer won't play it) or you can do like I did -- connect your cable/sat box directly to your TV, and use an optical cable from the sat box to the receiver. that way you can watch ordinary tv without turning the receiver on, and set receiver to optical input to play tv sound on the tv AND receiver.

Is there a way to do it via PS3, as I don't have cable or a satellite box. I stream everything I need via PS3 media server.
post #145 of 729 Old 09-17-2011, 06:03 PM

If the PS3 has an optical or digital audio out then it's the same.

Otherwise, check if your TV supports ARC (audio return channel). If it does your TV can be configured to send its audio back to the receiver.
post #146 of 729 Old 09-18-2011, 08:21 PM

I recognize this is an 521 thread but I'm going to post here and assume that those that have experience with the 521 can help with my quite simple (to some) question.

Recently just purchased the 821-K. Set it up and seemed to be working fine (no sub hooked up at this point as I didn't have my sub cable). Plugged the sub-cable in a few days later, started getting these lulls in the sound output. It doesn't necessarily happen during fast-action scenes but generally when something "loud" is suppose to happen it all of a sudden drops really low almost to the point where you can't understand it. It also happens during regular dialogue. Its almost as if the "stereo ALS" is on but its not.

Any suggestions?
post #147 of 729 Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post
The only video signals I've passed through either receiver were HDMI and the picture is exactly the same. Unless you're running analog video, it's not possible that there would be any difference in picture between one receiver and the other unless something's wrong with the receiver itself.

I definitely prefer the Pioneer over the Samsung AS720. It's no contest. The Pioneer is built like a brick shithouse - heavy and rugged - while the Samsung was one logic board literally rattling around inside a big empty box. The Pioneer decodes TrueHD as well as DTS-HD, which the Samsung cannot. The Pioneer has MCACC, which drastically improves the soundscape. And ironically the Pioneer works better with Anynet+ and my Samsung television than the Samsung receiver ever did. Not to mention the Pioneer has more HDMI ports and is 3D-ready for when I cross that bridge.
Thanks for making me feel comfortable with my new purchase
post #148 of 729 Old 09-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokie View Post

Its almost as if the "stereo ALS" is on but its not.

Perhaps you mean ALC -- the level compression thing. If not, then I'd make sure that is not on.

Have you tried seting the output to Direct and Pure Direct? Pure Direct will bypass any EQ settings and play sound from the source raw out to each speaker without any digital signal processing.
post #149 of 729 Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 AM

I am just looking for a quick few comments on my problem, to determine whether or not I need to bring the receiver in

I just got it earlier this year, so there's warranty left. Basically, from day 1, HDMI has always been problematic for me. I have an Apple TV 2, PS3 and Scientific Atlanta 8300HD connected to the receive via HDMI and the receiver is connected to an LG LE5400.

The Apple TV 2 and PS3 (I had the fat, now I have the slim - problem persists) will sometimes all of a sudden turn blurry. I have to turn off the receiver and TV and turn them back on for the image to clear up. Also, on the PS3 - the image will sometimes start to blackout for 1 second, every 20 seconds, and then I have to do a reset of everything.

And for the 8300HD, if I change channels too fast, or fast forward/rewind too soon after starting to play a movie, I get snow on the screen and have to turn the TV and receiver off and on to get the picture back.

I have tried switching cables and I am going to try once more. I never had these problems when things were connected directly to the TV. Also, I have switched from the PS3 fat to the slim during this, and the problem still persists. I think I will need to take the receiver in, but because the problem is intermittent, I am afraid the repair shop will not be able to diagnose the problem.

Anyone? Comments...please. I need to take this thing in or just live with it.
post #150 of 729 Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housemr View Post

I called pioneer tonight and was not happy with their "help". i have a wd tv live plus, phillips dvd player, and dtv hd box. anytime i switch to the wd tv live plus i get an extremly blurry screen and have to turn off the receiver and back on (or change inputs). it is happening now with the dvd player off and on. if the dvd player is fully on there is no issue.

well this sucks because i have a harmony remote and i dont want to turn on each item individually or hook up hdmi directly since what is the point of a new receiver then?

also, pioneer said it was a hdcp handshake issue and they havent heard of any issues (i guess they didnt read this thread) and suggested since it was only a few weeks old to return it to best buy.

PS...the above user seems to describe my problem exactly... I also have the Harmony and use the Receiver as a switcher. It really does seem that, since everything is fine connected direct-to-TV, the problem must lie with the way the Pioneer switches inputs.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page