Official Pioneer VSX-521k owners thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 730 Old 09-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used MCACC to set up my vsx 521-k, set the receiver to "auto surround" and it seems the only speakers putting out any sound are the two front speakers and a little SW. I turn on HBO to watch a movie and same thing, just the two front speakers and maybe a little SW.

I tried many different channels and the same thing, whether I'm watching sports, or a movie. Now when I use the ALC/Standard button and set the receiver to "Dolby PLII Movie" I get surround sound on every channel. Is something wrong with the receiver? Or is this normal for "Auto Surround"? Also, is there any way to get more Bass out of the receiver? I have a SW plugged into the subwoofer out on the receiver, but just don't get enough thump for my liking. I moved to this receiver from a Denon which gave me lots of thump on my SW. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 730 Old 09-24-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Does the receiver display Dolby Digital when you're watching a HBO movie? If not do you have a HD cable box? If so it doesn't sound like you have the audio output set correctly on the cable box.

Afro GT
post #153 of 730 Old 09-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Does the receiver display Dolby Digital when you're watching a HBO movie? If not do you have a HD cable box? If so it doesn't sound like you have the audio output set correctly on the cable box.

With receiver set on "Auto Surround" there is no display showing Dolby Digital. I know when I put a DVD in to watch, the receiver switched to Dolby Digital, but that was while it was set on "Dolby PLII Movie". I do have a Directtv HD DVR connected to the receiver with an HDMI cable, then from receiver to tv with HDMI cable. I'm not sure what you mean by audio output setting on the cable box (DVR)?
post #154 of 730 Old 09-25-2011, 04:55 AM

I had to configure my cable box to output Dolby Digital. Even then, most of the channels are simply 2.0 not 5.1 so although the DD symbol lights up, it's 2 channel, and Imust use DPLII to get surround.

Make sure your components like the DVD player are connected to the receiver via HDMI, and that each component is set to send bitstream audio, not PCM.

Also, make sure your rear speakers are plugged into the surround rear, not the SURROUND BACK connectors.
post #155 of 730 Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

I had to configure my cable box to output Dolby Digital. Even then, most of the channels are simply 2.0 not 5.1 so although the DD symbol lights up, it's 2 channel, and Imust use DPLII to get surround.

Make sure your components like the DVD player are connected to the receiver via HDMI, and that each component is set to send bitstream audio, not PCM.

Also, make sure your rear speakers are plugged into the surround rear, not the SURROUND BACK connectors.

I'm not sure how to set a unit to send bitstream audio, I'll play around with it and figure it out. I'm pretty sure the rear speakers are plugged into the surround rear because they do output some sound, but I will check that also. Thank you
post #156 of 730 Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM

MCACC hadn't set the rear speakers loud enough for my taste. On the Pioneer I went to the advanced setup, speaker setup and raised the volume of the rears a few notches. World of difference.

Setting your devices to ourput bitstream depends on the device. If it has a menu or an on-screen config of some kind, go into the setup and audio options. Check the manual if you're not sure.
post #157 of 730 Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 PM

Hi all,

I consider buying the VSX-521 but I am a little worried about something...
I know that this particular model is supposed just to pass the video without modifying it at all (it doesn't even overlay an OSD) but does that really mean the picture quality will not change...
The thing is... I have read a lot of reviews of people complaining about serious HDMI noise issues. They say the receiver is introducing some amaount of noise in the form of black dots.

So, is there such an issue with yours?
post #158 of 730 Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
g4s

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivsh View Post

Hi all,

I consider buying the VSX-521 but I am a little worried about something...
I know that this particular model is supposed just to pass the video without modifying it at all (it doesn't even overlay an OSD) but does that really mean the picture quality will not change...
The thing is... I have read a lot of reviews of people complaining about serious HDMI noise issues. They say the receiver is introducing some amaount of noise in the form of black dots.

So, is there such an issue with yours?

Yes. I took mine in for service this morning. I should hear what they're going to do about it in a couple days.

This is my 6th Pioneer receiver since the early 70's and the only one I've had any trouble with. Pretty good record overall.
post #159 of 730 Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

Yes. I took mine in for service this morning. I should hear what they're going to do about it in a couple days.

This is my 6th Pioneer receiver since the early 70's and the only one I've had any trouble with. Pretty good record overall.

Thanks a lot man...
Then, I think I am going for the VSX-520. Here in Europe, I think it actually comes equipped with MCACC, so the only difference (that concerns me) between the old and the new one is the PSU.
The VSX-521 has a much better power supply I think... at least its power rating is better.
I know that the new model has OSD, but since it is analog only, I don't think I would make any use of it anyway... so...

Any other advantages of the VSX-521 over the VSX-520?
post #160 of 730 Old 09-29-2011, 06:55 AM
g4s

Quote:

Thanks a lot man...
Then, I think I am going for the VSX-520. Here in Europe, I think it actually comes equipped with MCACC, so the only difference (that concerns me) between the old and the new one is the PSU.
The VSX-521 has a much better power supply I think... at least its power rating is better.
I know that the new model has OSD, but since it is analog only, I don't think I would make any use of it anyway... so...

Any other advantages of the VSX-521 over the VSX-520?

Not that I know of.
I doubt the video problem is that widespread on the 521 though. If the European 520 doesn't have MCACC, I would get the 521. The 521 sounds a lot better than my previous receiver. I think it's because of the MCACC setup feature.
post #161 of 730 Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Not that I know of.
I doubt the video problem is that widespread on the 521 though. If the European 520 doesn't have MCACC, I would get the 521. The 521 sounds a lot better than my previous receiver. I think it's because of the MCACC setup feature.

It does have MCACC here in Europe...
What was your previous receiver by the way? Just curious...
post #162 of 730 Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 AM
g4s

Quote:

It does have MCACC here in Europe...
What was your previous receiver by the way? Just curious...

It was a VSX-D710S http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...vers/VSX-D710S

We had a lightening strike that ruined the optical inputs on it. (and killed a lot of other electronics around here) It still worked though. I set it out on my driveway with the remote, manual and a note that described the problem and said FREE. It disappeared fast.
post #163 of 730 Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To all of the current (or former) owners: Overall, are (were) you happy with this receiver? Would you still buy one today, or recommend it to a friend?
post #164 of 730 Old 09-30-2011, 04:05 AM

I am very happy with it. I would buy one again, especially considering their price when they're on sale at Best Buy.
post #165 of 730 Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

To all of the current (or former) owners: Overall, are (were) you happy with this receiver? Would you still buy one today, or recommend it to a friend?

I returned mine...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20885851
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20964607

It was the cheapest at well under two bills but I punted anyway.
post #166 of 730 Old 09-30-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I am very happy with it. I would buy one again, especially considering their price when they're on sale at Best Buy.

Ok, this is on sale at one of the major daily deal sites. Is between 100-200 a good deal for one?

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #167 of 730 Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

Ok, this is on sale at one of the major daily deal sites. Is between 100-200 a good deal for one?

I bought 2 from the deal
1 will probably be a gift to the parents, who desperately need an upgrade and the other I'll probably be using in my non theater setup, unless it is equal to my Denon which I doubt. I could use the HDMI inputs though, since my Denon has none

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #168 of 730 Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 AM

This receiver is only $150 on woot(dot)com today only!! I think I"ll be getting one!! ( can't enter URLs as I'm a new member )
post #169 of 730 Old 09-30-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

I bought 2 from the deal
1 will probably be a gift to the parents, who desperately need an upgrade and the other I'll probably be using in my non theater setup, unless it is equal to my Denon which I doubt. I could use the HDMI inputs though, since my Denon has none

I bought one to replace my aging Onkyo with no HDMI...crossing fingers!

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #170 of 730 Old 09-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

I bought one to replace my aging Onkyo with no HDMI...crossing fingers!

Same here. I hope I don't have any of the noisy picture over HDMI issues that I've seen others mention.
post #171 of 730 Old 09-30-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks. You should see their price on woot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I returned mine...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20885851
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20964607

It was the cheapest at well under two bills but I punted anyway.

Thanks. Since your comparisons were based with receivers costing 2-4 times as much, I'll keep that in perspective. I am considering this for my bedroom, so your insightful comments about the low end should not be a problem for me.
post #172 of 730 Old 09-30-2011, 01:51 PM

Shiz that is a steal.
post #173 of 730 Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Hello,
I bought VSX-521 about two weeks ago. I want to switch between my laptop with HDMI out (Acer 5820TG) and my HTPC with HDMI out too. There was no problem with HTPC (little problem was old HDMI rev, so i can't output lossless DTS and DD), but my laptop cannot output higher resolution than 1280 horizontaly and only in mirroring mode. I can output 1280×720, 1280×768, 1280×1024, but when I set to output 1920×1080 lcd in laptop starts to blink and I hear how receiver is beeing connected and unconnected. Is there any solution for my laptop?
Second question is about my HTPC. I bought nVidia GT520 to be able to output lossless DTS and DD and there's same problem as on my laptop. Only 1280×xxxx in mirroring mode.

Can you help me somehow please? Or is this receiver PC unfriendly? :/

PS: sorry, for my english

edit:
Receiver video output is going to Acer X243H LCD monitor.
post #174 of 730 Old 10-01-2011, 01:54 PM

I wanted to chime in that after 3 months I finally saw the black dot issue. It was after adding new speaker wire/speakers and unplugging the HDMI from my cable box (I think there may have been an update to the box the night before too) Anyways after unplugging and turning off/on the receiver and DVR a few times the issue went away. Not sure if I should be concerned but I'll keep you all updated if things go bad.
post #175 of 730 Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 PM

I looked closely, and I see black dots also. I'll try swapping some HDMI cables to see if that fixes it.

Disappointing.

Edit: I only see dots from my WD TV Live, which is connected to the receiver via a "3 for $9.99" hdmi cable. Maybe I went a bit too cheap on that one. No dots from my Pioneer DVD player.
post #176 of 730 Old 10-01-2011, 07:33 PM
g4s

I got mine back from the shop. He said he wasn't able to reproduce the problem. Only has a 32" display there. Probably not noticeable on it. Not what I wanted to hear. He talked to guy at Pioneer who wasn't aware of anything like that. I was told to change out cables, try different HDMI inputs. If that doesn't fix it he said he would replace the "board" when it becomes available in a couple weeks.

One of my cables is a 1.3 so I ordered a high speed cable for it. Hope that solves it.

I tried outputting different resolutions out of my Panasonic BD80. Everything is fine up to 1080i. When I output 1080p, that's when the dots show up. Seems like a bandwidth problem. Maybe the 1.4 cable will take care of it.
post #177 of 730 Old 10-01-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Thanks. Since your comparisons were based with receivers costing 2-4 times as much, I'll keep that in perspective.

Actually, I paid under $200 for two of them (basically the same price as the Pioneer). The other I purchased on close-out... yes roughly twice the price ($399). Fry's is the home of the $199 receiver. This week the Onkyo TX-NR509.
post #178 of 730 Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Everything is fine up to 1080i. When I output 1080p, that's when the dots show up.

That matches what I'm seeing. My DVD is a 1080p player, but I have a quality cable connected to it. My WD TV is also a 1080p but has a crappy cable. I'll try swapping the two to see if it makes a difference.
post #179 of 730 Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 AM
g4s

Quote:

That matches what I'm seeing. My DVD is a 1080p player, but I have a quality cable connected to it. My WD TV is also a 1080p but has a crappy cable. I'll try swapping the two to see if it makes a difference.

Let us know how it does. I'm curious and won't have my cable for a few days.
post #180 of 730 Old 10-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I got mine back from the shop. He said he wasn't able to reproduce the problem. Only has a 32" display there. Probably not noticeable on it. Not what I wanted to hear. He talked to guy at Pioneer who wasn't aware of anything like that. I was told to change out cables, try different HDMI inputs. If that doesn't fix it he said he would replace the "board" when it becomes available in a couple weeks.

One of my cables is a 1.3 so I ordered a high speed cable for it. Hope that solves it.

I tried outputting different resolutions out of my Panasonic BD80. Everything is fine up to 1080i. When I output 1080p, that's when the dots show up. Seems like a bandwidth problem. Maybe the 1.4 cable will take care of it.

For me it's cheap 1.4 HDMI cables and a DVR set to 1080i.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page