post #3841 of 3864 Old 05-19-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

That is how the hdmi board failures sometimes start so I would email jose.torres@us.onkyo.com He is the go to guy for these problems.

Thanks, I sent him an email. Bought a cheap Sony to get me by until this is resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 3864 Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

not even close. square trade generally cashes one out in the event of a failure, that's if the hdmi board is dead. i'm free to do whatever i want then. get it fixed throw it away, whatever.

is there a restriction on what one does with an AVR after you have warranty repairs?

I hope you are right...

When/if you get a working HDMI board back I would suggest not letting it run too hot, that's most likely one of the contributing factors when it died. Heat is not good for capacitors and many other components. Other than that not really much, imho.

Personally I put it the exact same place as the other one, with the same spacing to other HIFI equipment and stuff and I use it the exact same way as before. I'll just cross my fingers the new HDMI board is of better build quality than the old one.

post #3843 of 3864 Old 05-20-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I received an email from Jose Torres today that authorizes a warranty repair at the MI repair facility in Madison Heights, MI. I would say that ONKYO is certainly standing behind their product with this HDMI board failure issue, being over one year out of warranty in my case. As it is I am headed downstate early next week so will probably take it there myself then. I'll post how it works out from there.
I ended up shipping it there ($30 including insurance) and it came back today, two weeks to the day. Invoice states they replaced the defective processing board. Everything is working fine again. Way to go Jose and Onkyo!

I was surprised that all of my settings were still intact. I figured it would be reset back to factory settings, so that was a pleasant surprise indeed.
Dah Finstah likes this.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #3844 of 3864 Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question about Powered Zone 2

Can I adjust the Tone (Bass, Treble) on the Zone 2 speakers connected through the AVR using the L & R speaker terminals or is it just a flat response. I have a TX-NR609.

Thanks.
post #3845 of 3864 Old 06-12-2014, 10:11 AM

Found the answer, it can not be adjusted
post #3846 of 3864 Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM

I guess that leads me to the next question. Any 609 owners using Zone 2 and how is the sound quality without being able to adjust anything. I bought some Klipsch AW-650's and now I think they maybe overkill.
post #3847 of 3864 Old 06-12-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5298 View Post
I guess that leads me to the next question. Any 609 owners using Zone 2 and how is the sound quality without being able to adjust anything. I bought some Klipsch AW-650's and now I think they maybe overkill.
I think it really depends on your setup. I have powered Z2 hooked up to a pair of Bose 101 outdoor speakers on my deck and am very happy with the sound. Unpowered Z2 goes to a small amp which does have basic tone controls and bookshelf speakers in the master bedroom. Obviously neither of these are dedicated music listening areas so my expectations probably aren't as high as for my main room either.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #3848 of 3864 Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post
I think it really depends on your setup. I have powered Z2 hooked up to a pair of Bose 101 outdoor speakers on my deck and am very happy with the sound. Unpowered Z2 goes to a small amp which does have basic tone controls and bookshelf speakers in the master bedroom. Obviously neither of these are dedicated music listening areas so my expectations probably aren't as high as for my main room either.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions. I listened to some music from my Comcast Cable music stations and they sound pretty good. I haven't tried my music collection from my computer yet, but I think it should sound as good or better than the music from the Cable station.
post #3849 of 3864 Old 06-16-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5298 View Post
I have my 609 running Z2 to my outdoor screen porch with Klipsch AW-650s. It sounds fantastic. I play music almost all the time remotely from my iPhone through an Apple TV. I can use the equalizer from the iPhone app if I want to, but I never need to. It sounds great as is. I think you will really like what you hear. The Klipsch are some of the best outdoor speakers I've ever heard.
post #3850 of 3864 Old 06-22-2014, 07:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaresav View Post
Hey, I had this problem with my 609 receiver. Started with popping noise coming from all speakers, then it finally died and no more sound. Turns out it was the HDMI board that went bad. Fortunately Onkyo honored me a warranty repair. Got a new HDMI board put in and so far the unit has been working great. Hopefully the new HDMI board will last a long time. Good luck getting your unit repaired.
Interesting, my rear left speaker just started to pop. TV picture is fine. HDMI issues? Guess I better start researching HDMI board failures.

I love this HD stuff!
post #3851 of 3864 Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
Interesting, my rear left speaker just started to pop. TV picture is fine. HDMI issues? Guess I better start researching HDMI board failures.
That's how it usually starts. Contact jose.torres@us.onkyo.com; he'll set up a warranty repair for you.

post #3852 of 3864 Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post
That's how it usually starts. Contact jose.torres@us.onkyo.com; he'll set up a warranty repair for you.
Thank You!

I love this HD stuff!
post #3853 of 3864 Old 06-23-2014, 10:44 AM

Wow, Jose responded in about an hour. Repair approved. Not bad for a 2011 purchase.

I really like this unit I glad they are repairing it.
old corps likes this.

I love this HD stuff!
post #3854 of 3864 Old 06-23-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
Wow, Jose responded in about an hour. Repair approved. Not bad for a 2011 purchase.

I really like this unit I glad they are repairing it.
I purchased mine April, 2011 also. HDMI processor board failed last month and I had it back in 13 days from the time I shipped it to ABL Electronics, costing me only $30 for shipping/insurance. I'm very pleased with Onkyo's handling of this. Jose's the man!

I like my 609 a lot too; use it every day. If fact I'm listening to The Yes Album in 5.1 DTS-HD MA right now; good stuff!
old corps likes this.

post #3855 of 3864 Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 0
Hello!
This is my first post on this forum.
Sorry for my English, but hope you'll inderstand me!
Could you help me, please?

I have Onkyo TX-SR309 2011 year receiver.
It worked without any problems for 3 years. Then I didn't use it for a month, and when I reinstall my equipment I've found that only one HDMI input works (#1 BD/DVD). After several experiments with "hot" connecting and reconnecting of HDMI cables no inputs worked... I thought that I've broken HDMI board (because sometimes during TV Box "hot" connecting they were sparks between HDMI plug and HDMI port...

I saw several posts about changing 100uF capacitors on HDMI board and decided to change all of them... So I bought capacitors with same ratings like on the board and changed them... Installed HDMI board in it's place and tried to connect TV Box first... Sparks... I've found that sparks become only when antenna cable connected to TV Box... I tried all the inputs and only HDMI 1 worked... Then I changed all the capacitors once again and didn't connect TV Box... Tried to connect PC and XBOX and they works only with HDMI input 1.

If I put PC in another HDMI port there is a sound from PC (like he found new hardware), music stops (change to another output), trying to connect, but then another sound (like unplugged device) and music continues to sound from PC). If I connect PC to HDMI 1 input, receiver connects immediately, PC sounds like new hardware and music continues playing with Onkyo.

What can be a problem? I like this Receiver and would like to fix it instead of buying another one...

Cables are good because all the units work great if I connect them to ACER projector directly...

Thank's!

Last edited by Nuyskov; 06-26-2014 at 08:29 AM.
post #3856 of 3864 Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 PM

Hey guys,

I've had my TX-NR609 for several years now and it just developed a weird problem. I use the receiver to HDMI pass through a cable box and a blu ray player then send the HDMI out to the TV. Worked fine earlier today then turned on recently and nothing works. Tried each input and nothing. I ran a HDMI cable straight from each device, cable box and blu ray player etc, to the TV input directly and I got an image but going through the receiver I couldn't get anything.

I noticed that on the Onkyo screen it says Analog and I assume it should say digital. When it boots, it says Digital but then switches to Analog. I never get an image. I tried a factory reset and it didn't help. Still stuck on analog and I can't figure out what's up. Unless somehow like 3 hdmi cables all failed simultaneously

Is this an HDMI board issue? I've never had any problems with it until this.

Any thoughts? Please help! Thanks!
post #3857 of 3864 Old 06-27-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Hey guys,

Is this an HDMI board issue? I've never had any problems with it until this.

I have 2 from 3 not working ports... When I don't connect units to them, there is a blue screen on the screen. And when I connect some unit, the screen changes to Projector's main screen as it looks for a signal and nothing...
So will be lloking for your solve may be we have one problem!
post #3858 of 3864 Old 07-05-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Our 609 seems to be a victim of the infamous HDMI board failure. The speakers started popping a few weeks ago when we turned it on but it would eventually stop after a few minutes, but this morning no sound. Looks like an email to Mr. Torres is in order.
post #3859 of 3864 Old 07-05-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
Our 609 seems to be a victim of the infamous HDMI board failure. The speakers started popping a few weeks ago when we turned it on but it would eventually stop after a few minutes, but this morning no sound. Looks like an email to Mr. Torres is in order.
I don't get any audio from any sources...tuner, CD, etc. Is this typical of the HDMI board failure?
post #3860 of 3864 Old 07-06-2014, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
I don't get any audio from any sources...tuner, CD, etc. Is this typical of the HDMI board failure?
That's what happened to mine.

post #3861 of 3864 Old 07-12-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
TX-NR609 - must restart to get sound

Hey guys! new to the site and it looks like I found the right place. My TX-NR609 is 2.5 years old (ugh...) and I need to turn the power off/on repeatedly to get the sound to start working. Eventually it will (and sounds great), but it takes 30-60 seconds and is a nuisance-- and is seemingly getting worse.

Firmware is up-to-date, no issues until the past month, etc.

Does this sound like the dreaded HDMI soundboard issue to you guys?
post #3862 of 3864 Old 07-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allewel2 View Post
Hey guys! new to the site and it looks like I found the right place. My TX-NR609 is 2.5 years old (ugh...) and I need to turn the power off/on repeatedly to get the sound to start working. Eventually it will (and sounds great), but it takes 30-60 seconds and is a nuisance-- and is seemingly getting worse.

Firmware is up-to-date, no issues until the past month, etc.

Does this sound like the dreaded HDMI soundboard issue to you guys?
Yep. Contact jose.torres@us.onkyo.com and included a copy of your receipt and serial number; he'll set up a warranty repair for you.

post #3863 of 3864 Old 07-15-2014, 06:14 AM

Doc and all:
Jose Torres is the man. As all you said, I sent an email to Jose after the 800 number guy told me to check back on Friday on the status of the email that I had sent to the parts@us.onkyo.com(sent on Sunday) with sales receipt and serial #. Jose repsonded right away stating that he will arrange for a pickup and may be HDMI boards available now, and stated that a two week turn around. Way to go Jose!!!!
post #3864 of 3864 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

Jose Torres authorized a one time repair for me... THEY ARE STANDING BY THE EQUIPTMENT...... Thank you A shipping box has been sent out.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page