post #3901 of 3918 Old 10-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Strange, before you were able to duplicate this.
I remember we had this discussion 3 1/2 years ago. I'm going to have to play around with this again because I could never get it to work with the other inputs, which I think is what we're talki ng about here. Maybe you're correct that there is a work around for digital audio inputs. Analog audio inputs are easy to switch.

My "solution" is to bypass the AVR with a component cable for video in this situation. So yes, it is an HD video picture, though a max of 720p/1080i. So choose whatever digital input you want for an audio source and that's what the AVR is set to. I use a Harmony remote and just program a button to switch to video component 1 in to the TV when I wish to do that. So for instance, I can play music from my NAS via NET, iPod or from the Apple TV and watch a sporting event from the DVR.

I have for instance used a different analog audio source on the VCR input where I have my HDDVD player hooked up via HDMI. To play the sync of Pink Floyd's "Echoes" with the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" sequence of 2001: A Space Odyssey, I just have to switch the audio input to analog and plug in my iPod. This is one of the reasons I asked about this 3.5 years ago when we got into this discussion, JChin. I'll have to go back and try this again but believe I couldn't make happen what I needed to on the necessary AVR inputs. I seem to recall at that time you had a predecessor AVR to the 609; am I not remembering correctly?

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3918 Old 10-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
-
This is another option by connecting the iPad to the CBL/SAT analog input.

- select CBL/SAT input to watch DVR
- on the remote press "Receiver" and then "Setup"
- scroll down to select menu "Source Setup"
- scroll down to select menu "Audio Selector"
- now change Audio Selector CBL/SAT from HDMI to Analog

Just remember to change Audio Selector CBL/SAT back to HDMI when finish.
I had never tried plugging the analog audio from the iPad into the CABL/SAT analog audio input (did not even realize it existed - DOH!). Once I did this it worked perfectly using the steps above. Thanks to all!
post #3903 of 3918 Old 10-21-2014, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
I had never tried plugging the analog audio from the iPad into the CABL/SAT analog audio input (did not even realize it existed - DOH!). Once I did this it worked perfectly using the steps above. Thanks to all!
In follow-up to this issue, has anyone ever been successful at creating a "macro sequence" with a Logitech Harmony remote which will change the audio selector from HDMI to Analog? It seems the numbers in Onkyo's Setup menus have no relevance with regards to being able to invoke the menu option by clicking that number on the remote control. Not being able to do this, essentially disables your ability to create a macro sequence because otherwise you are having to use the up/down arrows and that is no good since you may land on any given item at any given time (ie. it seems to remember the last option you picked).
post #3904 of 3918 Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I'm from uk and was wondering...Does jose from onkyo give you warranty for the amp if it was bought off ebay as a used item?

Last edited by nas1080p; 10-22-2014 at 10:57 AM.
post #3905 of 3918 Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 PM

Liked: 0
I also bought a used one on ebay - came with no remote.

Currently I don't know how to change the input from analog to anything else. I've taken the following steps:

1) plug in optical cable to pc and configured default output from pc as optical (I'm using a ASUS Z97-AR motherboard)
2) assigned optical1 to one of the input mode "game"
3) changed audio selector for "game" to optical

Still, on the receiver's screen I only see "analog".
post #3906 of 3918 Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Solution

I have the NR-809 but this may work for the other models for the HDMI handshake issue / blue screen:

Onkyo blue screen – my fix

1) tv on (thru Cisco DVR)

2) receiver on Cbl/Sat input
3) if blue screen and no audio or video
4) change input on remote to PC
5) turn tv off
6) switch back to Cbl/Sat input
7) turn tv back on
8) got it!
post #3907 of 3918 Old 10-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas1080p View Post
Hi guys, I'm from uk and was wondering...Does jose from onkyo give you warranty for the amp if it was bought off ebay as a used item?
I just returned mine for the special warranty service (a 6 year old 509 way out of warranty) and they did not ask for any original purchase information or receipts. If the serial # and listed symptoms fit your unit, then you qualify for the service.

Having said that though, I obtained the repair from Onkyo USA and I do not know if the same program is being offered in the UK.
post #3908 of 3918 Old 10-31-2014, 03:03 AM

Liked: 13
Hey guys I have a 609 and have Kef q900 floorstanders.. I'm actually really happy with my sound but was curious if any of you changed from a 609 to seperates, like entry level emotiva and noticed much quality improvement? The answer I'm looking for is "no" so I don't have to spend any money heh. I was looking at a headphone oriented dac/preamp and the emotiva xpa-200

edit: I'm pretty familiar with the objectivist arguments of unused reserve power having no effect on sound, doubling power only giving 3db more volume, secondary capacitance, slew rate, dynamic peaks improving with bigger transformers etc being considered myths I'm just looking for reassurance

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp

Last edited by uncola; 10-31-2014 at 03:19 AM.
post #3909 of 3918 Old 10-31-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
if your really happy then don't change it, instead by a mutual fund with that money and in 20 years thank me.
post #3910 of 3918 Old 10-31-2014, 12:00 PM

Thanks Hicaira4. I did contact them, but unfortunately they insisted on receipts, so I gave up. Now looking for a different brand amp.
post #3911 of 3918 Old 10-31-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
did you explain other members on this board are not required to send receipts?
call back and get someone else to help you.
post #3912 of 3918 Old 10-31-2014, 04:06 PM

Thanks kevinwoodward for your reply. I did tell them, but they said ebay is not acceptable. It doesn't matter anyway as I've lost the chance of purchasing the model I was looking for.

Thanks again
post #3913 of 3918 Old 11-15-2014, 07:51 AM

Is there any way to use my external DAC with the onkyo 609? can I plug the dac's rca output into an rca input on the 609 and then use direct mode? Or will all analog input still get sent through the onkyos burr brown dac?

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #3914 of 3918 Old 11-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Receiver crapped out on me yesterday. In the days leading up to it I noticed some issues. I had some instances of random static going to speakers when the receiver was on but no source was playing. Also had the receiver would start up and work normally only to have all sound (not video) cut out after using it for some time. A quick power off/on or pulling the plug fixed this it seemed.
Now it will not play audio through the speakers on anything (even the ipod dock!). Oddly enough, it will allow HDMI passthrough of video/audio if I enable that option in the menu so I can at least watch/listen with my tv speakers.
The options for updating the firmware or looking at network settings is now greyed out as well.
I tried several resets and left it unplugged for some time but to no avail. This morning I contacted Onkyo support at 2017852600. They guided me to a weblink I hadn't seen in any of these posts:
https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA
Even though my unit was purchased as a refurb unit (from the authorized reseller), it was still covered under this. Good thing too, as this is my third Onkyo receiver over the years and the second to have issues (other was covered as well, but still a PITA to deal with). I was ready to pull the trigger on a Sony STR-DN1050
A box will be shipped to me for sending it out for repairs and they said it's about two weeks turn around.

Oh, another option besides repair is to allow a credit towards the purchase of several other Onkyo models. The credit was for $125, so yeah, I took the repair option

If you're staring at me, it better be because I'm the goddamn suspect
This is a charge of C4. I can tell cause it says "C4" everywhere
post #3915 of 3918 Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 AM

The HDMI board in my NR609 went bad and was replaced about half a year ago and it's been working fine since, so far so good.

BUT every now and then I hear a CLICK/TICK sound from the right surrond speaker, I think it's mainly within a second or two of explosions and high peaks.

Do you guys have any ideas to why this is happening? Maybe it's still a HDMI board issue, or maybe something completely different?
post #3916 of 3918 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Hi all,

I own a tx-nr609 (purchased 10/2011) that also recently went out on me. After following the information I found online, Onkyo sent me out a box and tape and shipping label to have to sent to a repair facility. My fedex tracking shows that it was delivered on 11/20/2014. Is there any way to track the progress of the repair and did anyone receive a tracking number somehow for them to be sending it back to you? I see some people on here saying it was a pretty short turnaround time and it is making me a little anxious. Maybe I just need to give it a few more days?

Thank you
post #3917 of 3918 Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB88 View Post
Maybe I just need to give it a few more days?

Thank you
I know it can be tough to wait for your precious to get back to you, but I would give it a few more days (maybe a week) before trying to get in contact with the repairshop. Sometimes you are just unlucky and they are busy and/or don't have the spare parts in stock.

My repair was about a week from me dropping it off to me picking it up again.
post #3918 of 3918 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Thanks bud, I appreciate it! I figured the holiday week may be part of the delay as well. I'll give it until next week before I get concerned
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page