post #3901 of 3907 Old 10-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Strange, before you were able to duplicate this.
I remember we had this discussion 3 1/2 years ago. I'm going to have to play around with this again because I could never get it to work with the other inputs, which I think is what we're talki ng about here. Maybe you're correct that there is a work around for digital audio inputs. Analog audio inputs are easy to switch.

My "solution" is to bypass the AVR with a component cable for video in this situation. So yes, it is an HD video picture, though a max of 720p/1080i. So choose whatever digital input you want for an audio source and that's what the AVR is set to. I use a Harmony remote and just program a button to switch to video component 1 in to the TV when I wish to do that. So for instance, I can play music from my NAS via NET, iPod or from the Apple TV and watch a sporting event from the DVR.

I have for instance used a different analog audio source on the VCR input where I have my HDDVD player hooked up via HDMI. To play the sync of Pink Floyd's "Echoes" with the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" sequence of 2001: A Space Odyssey, I just have to switch the audio input to analog and plug in my iPod. This is one of the reasons I asked about this 3.5 years ago when we got into this discussion, JChin. I'll have to go back and try this again but believe I couldn't make happen what I needed to on the necessary AVR inputs. I seem to recall at that time you had a predecessor AVR to the 609; am I not remembering correctly?

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3907 Old 10-18-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
-
This is another option by connecting the iPad to the CBL/SAT analog input.

- select CBL/SAT input to watch DVR
- on the remote press "Receiver" and then "Setup"
- scroll down to select menu "Source Setup"
- scroll down to select menu "Audio Selector"
- now change Audio Selector CBL/SAT from HDMI to Analog

Just remember to change Audio Selector CBL/SAT back to HDMI when finish.
I had never tried plugging the analog audio from the iPad into the CABL/SAT analog audio input (did not even realize it existed - DOH!). Once I did this it worked perfectly using the steps above. Thanks to all!
post #3903 of 3907 Old 10-21-2014, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
I had never tried plugging the analog audio from the iPad into the CABL/SAT analog audio input (did not even realize it existed - DOH!). Once I did this it worked perfectly using the steps above. Thanks to all!
In follow-up to this issue, has anyone ever been successful at creating a "macro sequence" with a Logitech Harmony remote which will change the audio selector from HDMI to Analog? It seems the numbers in Onkyo's Setup menus have no relevance with regards to being able to invoke the menu option by clicking that number on the remote control. Not being able to do this, essentially disables your ability to create a macro sequence because otherwise you are having to use the up/down arrows and that is no good since you may land on any given item at any given time (ie. it seems to remember the last option you picked).
post #3904 of 3907 Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I'm from uk and was wondering...Does jose from onkyo give you warranty for the amp if it was bought off ebay as a used item?

Last edited by nas1080p; 10-22-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #3905 of 3907 Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I also bought a used one on ebay - came with no remote.

Currently I don't know how to change the input from analog to anything else. I've taken the following steps:

1) plug in optical cable to pc and configured default output from pc as optical (I'm using a ASUS Z97-AR motherboard)
2) assigned optical1 to one of the input mode "game"
3) changed audio selector for "game" to optical

Still, on the receiver's screen I only see "analog".
post #3906 of 3907 Old 10-26-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Solution

I have the NR-809 but this may work for the other models for the HDMI handshake issue / blue screen:

Onkyo blue screen – my fix

1) tv on (thru Cisco DVR)

2) receiver on Cbl/Sat input
3) if blue screen and no audio or video
4) change input on remote to PC
5) turn tv off
6) switch back to Cbl/Sat input
7) turn tv back on
8) got it!
post #3907 of 3907 Old 10-28-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas1080p View Post
Hi guys, I'm from uk and was wondering...Does jose from onkyo give you warranty for the amp if it was bought off ebay as a used item?
I just returned mine for the special warranty service (a 6 year old 509 way out of warranty) and they did not ask for any original purchase information or receipts. If the serial # and listed symptoms fit your unit, then you qualify for the service.

Having said that though, I obtained the repair from Onkyo USA and I do not know if the same program is being offered in the UK.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page