Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 132 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3931 of 3957 Old 01-17-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger77 View Post
Hi all,

Totally new to the universal remote world here...so patience is appreciated!

I have a home theater based on TX-NR609 AV receiver which as you know has good "systemwide" capability but can't be programmed for "activities" or macros, so I bought the 650. Got it all set it up according to instructions (very nice, smooth on-line et-up routine!) for my Panasonic TV, Panasonic Blue Ray player, Panasonic DVD Recorder, and of course the AVR.

The remote will not do anything with the Onkyo. Won't power it on. When I try to "fix" the power on command, and go into manual learning mode, the Harmony will not respond to / accept the Onkyo remote's signal. Some notes:

- Yes, the Onkyo remote is in great condition, has fresh batteries, and works flawlessly with the receiver and everything else in the system.
- Yes, I am VERY carefully positioning both remotes according to instructions, and then also slightly changing the alignment during attempted learning to get the right angle. Nothing.
- Yes, on the Onkyo remote you can plainly see the signal emitter firing consistently during attempted learning.
- Yes, the Harmony display shows it is patiently attempting to receive the signal during learning.

So...

- It seems odd the 650 won't work the Onkyo at all without any manual learning. BTW, the Onkyo RIHD setting was already to "OFF"
- It seems even more odd that the 650 doesn't learn the Onkyo signal or apparently even see it.

Any help appreciated! (I am also posting this in the Harmony 650 thread.)
Not sure why your 650 won't power your NR 609. My Harmony One has always worked with my 609 and I have a SR-313 that's works fine with a Harmony 650. I have never had to use the learn function of Harmony with any Onkyo receiver I have owned and that number is 4. Are you sure you programmed the right Onkyo into " Your devices"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3957 Old 01-21-2015, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post
Depending on your model there is probably a page very similar to this in your LG's audio setup menu. Make sure and choose "Primary Pass-Thru or something similar in the options.
Exactly this!! Thank you so much!

When I first tried to look for this setting, I had a DVD playing and I was going into the settings for the DVD. I actually had to RTFM in order to find out there there was a higher-level settings menu where I could set the audio output. Amazing what I've been missing for the last two years... and I thought my surround was working the whole time!

Thanks again!
post #3933 of 3957 Old 01-21-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchum View Post
Exactly this!! Thank you so much!

When I first tried to look for this setting, I had a DVD playing and I was going into the settings for the DVD. I actually had to RTFM in order to find out there there was a higher-level settings menu where I could set the audio output. Amazing what I've been missing for the last two years... and I thought my surround was working the whole time!

Thanks again!
You're most welcome. Glad it worked out and enjoy the sound!

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - HAL 9000
post #3934 of 3957 Old 01-23-2015, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
"Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program" Extension

Reminder: Onkyo's "Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program" has been extended to 2018. The program extends the warranty, for specific problems, for new and refurbished receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 in the USA https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA . Those in other countries can start here for their programs https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/ .

I had intermittent sound problems on my TX-NR609. Following the link above I was offered repair of my 609 or rebate on choice of new Onkyo. I chose $125 rebate on TX-NR636, which I purchased on Amazon. Very pleased with the new receiver. Wasn't expecting to see improvement in picture quality but it was noticeable on my Samsung PN-60F8500. Since the NR636 supports Dolby Atmos, I purchased Onkyo SKH-410 speakers. Enjoy the improvement in sound on Dolby 5.1 sources which are now 5.1.2.

Last edited by JRWalker; 01-23-2015 at 04:59 AM.
post #3935 of 3957 Old 01-23-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
just some feedback on the repair of my 609 under the customer care program. it took awhile, almost 2 weeks from when i submitted the form on-line, to get the packaging materials. from mailing it off though until receiving it it back took about 1 full week. I did verify i received back the same SN as I shipped to them.

the 609 is now my backup receiver should the new 636 go out. I note that i have a squaretrade warranty on the 609. they also would repair it free of charge and with free round-trip shipping. I didn't go that way as the repair was through a 3rd party central electronics repair facility.

Best,
jeff
post #3936 of 3957 Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Figured out part of the Harmony problem...

After a long period of finagling, it turns out...

1) I goofed. Looking at the diagram of how to teach the Logitech to learn commands, it looked like the two remotes are placed "head to head." In fact, the arrangement is "head to toe" (weird but cool, I suppose, that the Logitech has IR sensors at both ends).

2) Logitech goofed. They sell a product whose database of thousands of common home theater equipment still, after what I have discovered from many different web threads, is not that great with Onkyo receivers.

Logitech technical support walked me through "learning" every single command from the Onkyo remote that I need to watch TV, listen to music, etc. Eager to get me off the phone, he said, "That's all, right?" I said, "Well, sure, for now, but there are DOZENS of commands that I use the Onkyo remote for while doing these activites--change aspect ratio, change audio profile from Dolby to All Channel, etc. etc etc. Are you saying I your database doesn't know a single one of these...and that I have to teach all of them to the 650?" He said, yep, that's what I'm saying.

He'd "make a note of the issue" and they'd "let me know" when they get their Onkyo receiver commands database "fixed."

Ha.
post #3937 of 3957 Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

1) I goofed. Looking at the diagram of how to teach the Logitech to learn commands, it looked like the two remotes are placed "head to head." In fact, the arrangement is "head to toe" (weird but cool, I suppose, that the Logitech has IR sensors at both ends).

2) Logitech goofed. They sell a product whose database of thousands of common home theater equipment still, after what I have discovered from many different web threads, is not that great with Onkyo receivers.

Logitech technical support walked me through "learning" every single command from the Onkyo remote that I need to watch TV, listen to music, etc. Eager to get me off the phone, he said, "That's all, right?" I said, "Well, sure, for now, but there are DOZENS of commands that I use the Onkyo remote for while doing these activites--change aspect ratio, change audio profile from Dolby to All Channel, etc. etc etc. Are you saying I your database doesn't know a single one of these...and that I have to teach all of them to the 650?" He said, yep, that's what I'm saying.

He'd "make a note of the issue" and they'd "let me know" when they get their Onkyo receiver commands database "fixed."

Ha.
I don't know which Onkyo remote came with your receiver, but the higher tier models have activity buttons and can learn to operate all your other equipment, so a Harmony remote would be superfluous. You can also order one of those learning remotes from OnkyoUSA. Since most of your activities used are with the Onkyo, and not with the TV, Set top Box, or Player, you won't need too many commands to be learned for them anyway.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
post #3938 of 3957 Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post
Reminder: Onkyo's "Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program" has been extended to 2018. The program extends the warranty, for specific problems, for new and refurbished receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 in the USA https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA . Those in other countries can start here for their programs https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/ .

I had intermittent sound problems on my TX-NR609. Following the link above I was offered repair of my 609 or rebate on choice of new Onkyo. I chose $125 rebate on TX-NR636, which I purchased on Amazon. Very pleased with the new receiver. Wasn't expecting to see improvement in picture quality but it was noticeable on my Samsung PN-60F8500. Since the NR636 supports Dolby Atmos, I purchased Onkyo SKH-410 speakers. Enjoy the improvement in sound on Dolby 5.1 sources which are now 5.1.2.
This years Onkyo models are a no-go for me since they dumped Audyssey. Atmos for Audyssey is a raw deal, IMO.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #3939 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
I don't know which Onkyo remote came with your receiver, but the higher tier models have activity buttons and can learn to operate all your other equipment, so a Harmony remote would be superfluous. You can also order one of those learning remotes from OnkyoUSA. Since most of your activities used are with the Onkyo, and not with the TV, Set top Box, or Player, you won't need too many commands to be learned for them anyway.
Can the Onkyo higher tier remote also operate each function of the individual devices as the Harmony remotes can and not just turn the devices off and on? I am not sure what the issue was with the user's Harmony and the Onkyo was or is but I have 3 Onkyo's currently in service mated with Harmony's. 2 650's and 1 Harmony One. I have an SR508 and SR313 and a NR609. Also not sure why he is using the " learning " function of the Harmony as I have found my Onkyo's in the data base of Harmony and have never had to use the " learning " function. If the model can not be found, programming a similiar model into the activity list of the Harmony is usually a good workaround to that issue just to avoid the " learning " nonsense. The Harmony 650 is " activity " based as is the Harmony One. I can indeed state the NR 609 is in the database of the Harmony One.

Last edited by david0406; 01-26-2015 at 04:53 AM.
post #3940 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
This years Onkyo models are a no-go for me since they dumped Audyssey. Atmos for Audyssey is a raw deal, IMO.
I try not to play the "Would Have ..., Could Have ..., Should Have ..." game against myself, but since you brought it up, I think that I made a good decision at the time. When I chose the newer model instead of the fix, the offer was going to expire this February, it is now extends until 2018.

My problem only appeared the first time the 609 was powered on. Power cycling just the 609 a couple of times and it was good for the whole day. Had I known that the offer was going to be extended until 2018, I might have put up with power cycling until total failure. Don't know how long that would have been but my wife was starting to complain because she is usually the first to turn on the system. She is happy now.

Last edited by JRWalker; 01-26-2015 at 05:29 AM.
post #3941 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Don't know how long that would have been but my wife was starting to complain because she is usually the first to turn on the system. She is happy now.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - HAL 9000
post #3942 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

@DocCasualty ,

I have been married 47 years. Wish that I had know that on day one!

The other wisdom I would have liked to have known was: Men marry expecting their wife not to change, she will. Women marry expecting their husband to change, we don't.
sage11x, DocCasualty and old corps like this.
post #3943 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
I try not to play the "Would Have ..., Could Have ..., Should Have ..." game against myself, but since you brought it up, I think that I made a good decision at the time. When I chose the newer model instead of the fix, the offer was going to expire this February, it is now extends until 2018.

My problem only appeared the first time the 609 was powered on. Power cycling just the 609 a couple of times and it was good for the whole day. Had I known that the offer was going to be extended until 2018, I might have put up with power cycling until total failure. Don't know how long that would have been but my wife was starting to complain because she is usually the first to turn on the system. She is happy now.
I think I would have chosen the free repair.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #3944 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post
Can the Onkyo higher tier remote also operate each function of the individual devices as the Harmony remotes can and not just turn the devices off and on? I am not sure what the issue was with the user's Harmony and the Onkyo was or is but I have 3 Onkyo's currently in service mated with Harmony's. 2 650's and 1 Harmony One. I have an SR508 and SR313 and a NR609. Also not sure why he is using the " learning " function of the Harmony as I have found my Onkyo's in the data base of Harmony and have never had to use the " learning " function. If the model can not be found, programming a similiar model into the activity list of the Harmony is usually a good workaround to that issue just to avoid the " learning " nonsense. The Harmony 650 is " activity " based as is the Harmony One. I can indeed state the NR 609 is in the database of the Harmony One.
The OP stated that he liked to tweak his AV receiver regularly, which makes using the Onkyo remote a priority. That being said, my son uses the Onkyo remote to operate his Dish Box, TV, and other components with no trouble, and you won't see any other remotes in the room.

I personally only use my Mitsubishi TV remote, as it will work with all my components and also operate my PS3. Manufacturers have figured out that they can compete with Harmony, and fill a basic need for consumers themselves.

YMMV, IMO, My dog would have caught the rabbit if...etc

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
post #3945 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
The OP stated that he liked to tweak his AV receiver regularly, which makes using the Onkyo remote a priority. That being said, my son uses the Onkyo remote to operate his Dish Box, TV, and other components with no trouble, and you won't see any other remotes in the room.

I personally only use my Mitsubishi TV remote, as it will work with all my components and also operate my PS3. Manufacturers have figured out that they can compete with Harmony, and fill a basic need for consumers themselves.

YMMV, IMO, My dog would have caught the rabbit if...etc
Here was his original problem:
"- It seems odd the 650 won't work the Onkyo at all without any manual learning. BTW, the Onkyo RIHD setting was already to "OFF"
- It seems even more odd that the 650 doesn't learn the Onkyo signal or apparently even see it.

I took my 650 programmed to my Onkyo TX-SR313 and with the same power function, turned on my NR609 and my SR508 and my guess is if I programmed my 609 to the Harmony 650 every function of the 609 could be programmed into his 650 device list without having to do all the " learning" nonsense. User error IMO. Just my two cents. FWIW.
post #3946 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here was his original problem:
"- It seems odd the 650 won't work the Onkyo at all without any manual learning. BTW, the Onkyo RIHD setting was already to "OFF"

I took my 650 programmed to my Onkyo TX-SR313 and with the same power function, turned on my NR609 and my SR508 and my guess is if I programmed my 609 to the Harmony 650 every function of the 609 could be programmed into his 650 device list without having to do all the " learning" nonsense. User error IMO. Just my two cents. FWIW.
He solved his original problem already. I was referring to this post:

Quote:

Ha.
He can operate everything he has with the Onkyo remote, just by entering product codes. It can also learn extra commands if needed. Of course, he would have to look up his components in a "list" rather than "online". If he wants to keep the Harmony, that's fine too. It ain't my house, it's his.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 01-26-2015 at 03:30 PM.
post #3947 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
He solved his original problem already. I was referring to this post:

He can operate everything he has with the Onkyo remote, just by entering product codes. It can also learn extra commands if needed. Of course, he would have to look up his components in a "list" rather than "online". If he wants to keep the Harmony, that's fine too. It ain't my house, it's his.
Well I have an old Harmony 700 just laying around that I no longer use because one of the buttons quit working ( same as the 650 only difference is it can control 8 devices instead of 6 and is rechargeable). I said aww what the hell. I will log on to mymarmony.com and log in to my account. I added the TX-NR609 to the device list of my Harmony 700 and after adding the NR609 to the Harmony 700 I looked to see that there are 15 pages of 4 functions per page totaling 60 different functions the Harmony 700 can control on the NR 609 and that is not with digging into the device for any personal programming of buttons. And guess what no "manual learning" was required of the Harmony. No putting one end of the remote to the other end of the other remote. I proceeded to walk over to the 609 and one of the functions on the Harmony device list for the 609 was 'Power on". I pressed it and guess what happened? Yep it powered on. Clearly there is NO DATA BASE problem for the ONKYO TX-NR609 with Harmony. User error. Now if the OP of this problem is not using a computer and can not create a My Harmony account, and relying solely on the functions of the Harmony " learning" the functions of another remote then maybe he might have an issue. Who buys these and does not have computer to sync it with? I know he fixed his problem in his own way but his problem does not lie with Harmony or a problem with their database.

"I said, "Well, sure, for now, but there are DOZENS of commands that I use the Onkyo remote for while doing these activites--change aspect ratio, change audio profile from Dolby to all channel etc. etc etc. Are you saying I your database doesn't know a single one of these...and that I have to teach all of them to the 650?" He said, yep, that's what I'm saying.

The function highlighted with italics is in the function menu for the NR609 as " Mode Movie /TV. Next to that button is the same function for Mode Music. Again clearly the OP with the problem has gotten some seriously BAD BAD BAD customer service from Harmony. All these buttons and functions can be moved or re-programmed to make the remote more user friendly to the functions of the 609 he would use regularly.

Last edited by david0406; 01-26-2015 at 07:03 PM.
post #3948 of 3957 Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I have an old Harmony 700 just laying around that I no longer use because one of the buttons quit working ( same as the 650 only difference is it can control 8 devices instead of 6 and is rechargeable). I said aww what the hell. I will log on to mymarmony.com and log in to my account. I added the TX-NR609 to the device list of my Harmony 700 and after adding the NR609 to the Harmony 700 I looked to see that there are 15 pages of 4 functions per page totaling 60 different functions the Harmony 700 can control on the NR 609 and that is not with digging into the device for any personal programming of buttons. And guess what no "manual learning" was required of the Harmony. No putting one end of the remote to the other end of the other remote. I proceeded to walk over to the 609 and one of the functions on the Harmony device list for the 609 was 'Power on". I pressed it and guess what happened? Yep it powered on. Clearly there is NO DATA BASE problem for the ONKYO TX-NR609 with Harmony. User error. Now if the OP of this problem is not using a computer and can not create a My Harmony account, and relying solely on the functions of the Harmony " learning" the functions of another remote then maybe he might have an issue. Who buys these and does not have computer to sync it with? I know he fixed his problem in his own way but his problem does not lie with Harmony or a problem with their database.

"I said, "Well, sure, for now, but there are DOZENS of commands that I use the Onkyo remote for while doing these activites--change aspect ratio, change audio profile from Dolby to all channel etc. etc etc. Are you saying I your database doesn't know a single one of these...and that I have to teach all of them to the 650?" He said, yep, that's what I'm saying.

The function highlighted with italics is in the function menu for the NR609 as " Mode Movie /TV. Next to that button is the same function for Mode Music. Again clearly the OP with the problem has gotten some seriously BAD BAD BAD customer service from Harmony. All these buttons and functions can be moved or re-programmed to make the remote more user friendly to the functions of the 609 he would use regularly.
The harmony remotes are great. It's just that one no longer needs them in this day and age, if they have a higher tier TV or receiver.

post #3949 of 3957 Old Yesterday, 03:53 AM

Quote:
The harmony remotes are great. It's just that one no longer needs them in this day and age, if they have a higher tier TV or receiver.
I was just trying to figure out why he was trying to " manual learn " the remote when you do not have to do that and that all the functions for the NR-609 ARE available on the Harmony he purchased. He fixed before he could answer that his own way so I guess we will never know. My question to you was, Can the remotes for the new upper tier receivers and TV's perform ALL the available functions (commands) of each device programmed to them or just a select few? It should be able to since Harmony can do it with a remote that cost $100.00. If you pay the premium for the upper tier devices this should go without saying IMO.

Last edited by david0406; Yesterday at 04:02 AM.
post #3950 of 3957 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...Can the remotes for the new upper tier receivers and TV's perform ALL the available functions (commands) of each device programmed to them or just a select few?...
Can the family sedan boast 500 Horsepower and run the quarter mile in under 14 seconds? Who cares, when the family sedan meets all of their current needs, and 300 of that horsepower will go UN-USED on a day-to-day basis.

It depends on the USER's NEEDS, doesn't it? Most functions on a remote are used once, and if not once, so sparingly that they are unimportant in day to day use. Those that are used commonly are usable from most any remote these days.

I use a single (my Mitsubishi TV) remote to control all of my components, including by PS3. My son uses a single (his Onkyo) remote to control all of his components, and he has over $xx,000 invested in his system.

If one has Cable, Satellite, or some other content provider, after a TV is initially setup, all that is ever required is to turn it on and off and maybe adjust volume. Volume control is unnecessary if one is using an A/V receiver, as the OP is doing (although most remotes can adjust many functions on the TV, including changing channels, usually on and off is all that is required).

Once a set-top box is installed, one needs to turn it on and off and change channels, access menus, etc. Can the Onkyo remote do all that? Yes (as can most remotes).

Once a DVD/Bluray player is installed, one needs to turn it on and off and access menus, play, pause, etc. Can the Onkyo remote do all that? Yes (as can most remotes).

Once a PS3 is installed, one needs to turn it on and off and access menus, play, pause, etc to play movies. Can the Onkyo remote do all that? Yes (as can my TV remote, all thanks to CEC).

So, to answer your question, can the Onkyo remote control EVERYTHING on these components? Who cares? Why spend additional money for something one doesn't use? I set my Onkyo receiver and leave it alone, that's why I use my TV remote for everything. My son likes to fiddle with his surround settings, so he uses his Onkyo remote for everything.

As I said, Harmony remotes were a great idea, back in the day, when no manufacturer's remote would control another's device. Some may still find their current remotes lacking, and need a Harmony even today for some applications. However, it is no longer a necessary or cost effective purchase for most people. I personally have been using a single remote for at least 10 years, with no need for a Harmony.

Based on the OP's setup, his Onkyo remote is capable of controlling everything he desires. That is the point of my posts. If he (or anyone) wants to continue to use the Harmony, I'm all for it. Like I said before, it ain't my house.

Again, YMMV, IMO, No polar bears were harmed in the production of this post, etc
old corps likes this.

Last edited by Augerhandle; Yesterday at 01:03 PM.
post #3951 of 3957 Unread Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
david0406, thanks for your interest in the issue I noted in the OP and for the interesting dialogue. I will overlook the claims of user error.

Quote:
Now if the OP of this problem is not using a computer and can not create a My Harmony account, and relying solely on the functions of the Harmony " learning" the functions of another remote then maybe he might have an issue.[/U][/B] Who buys these and does not have computer to sync it with? I know he fixed his problem in his own way but his problem does not lie with Harmony or a problem with their database.

I felt there was no reason to articulate, when I said that I had set up the Harmony 650 according to instructions, that I have a computer and can set up a My Harmony account. That just seemed too obvious to report. I also felt there was no reason to note that manual programming of each function of the NR609 was the wrong way, the bad way, the time-wasting way, the stupid way to do it. What I should have articulated better was that, upon assigning the NR609 as a device on the remote (wherein the NR609 is -- BINGO!! -- identified and confirmed in the Harmony database), and then allowing the on-line app to run its sequence, the Harmony then failed to power on the NR609 or anything else. Why would that be? Why, after correctly identifying the NR609, adding it to the remote, doing the same for all other devices, and then watching the remote work flawlessly with ALL commands for my Panasonic TV, Panasonic DVR, and Panasonic BlueRay.... why would the Onkyo not even power up? User error??

Okay, I agree completely David, I should have known when I was led by the nose by Tech Support to manually program the various commands that something was wrong, and I did voice that a couple of times ("Wait--You seriously mean we have to program everything manually because of a defect in the database??") that I was getting, as you put it, seriously bad customer service (of which there are scores of reported examples on the Web). Trust me, I would love to merely move or reprogram buttons rather than having to teach each one of them to the remote first. But if there was not a defect in the NR609 function database, there seemed to be a defect in the download of those functions (even after numerous resets and reprogrammings as led by Tech Support). The only user goof that I am aware of is that, at first, I incorrectly positioned the remotes during the manual "learning" process. I would prefer to not have done a single manual learning step. Each of the 60-plus functions you mentioned, I can only see in the My Harmony's app's database, ready to be "added" via teaching. They're not on the Harmony itself, awaiting repositioning or editing.

Someone did mention I should try programming the Harmony to a different Onkyo receiver, since they all have similar command databases, and see if the process works better. I may just give that a go!

Augerhandle, interesting perspective, thanks. I completely understand the point of your posts, and I'm well aware of the Onkyo remote's capabilities, having successfully used the RC-801M for several years to operate all of my home theater devices (and to generate most of the common commands). I merely wanted to be able to program activities. The RC-801M cannot learn activities. Maybe I'm better off buying an Onkyo remote that CAN!

I appreciate that you are sensitive to each user's needs, because we are all different people driven by different motives. Personally, I hate that starting to watch Netflix in my system involves a tedious set-up sequence...Turn on TV, turn on AVR, turn on Net-enabled BD-DVD, set TV input to HDMI (from "TV" where it usually is, drawing from the CableCard), setting the BD-DVD to Net, and then selecting Netflix from another menu, setting the AVR input to BD-DVD... I mean, that is quite a process for the wife to handle using the OEM remote(s). I have to say, even having gone through the frustration of setting up the damned Harmony, now to push just one button and then wander off to make popcorn is really a very "nice to have" feature. I think that Harmony's position in the market will be secure as long as there are suckers like me who think that is a cool thing, and so long as that outweighs their dumb, cloud-dependent ("ball and chain") programming and horrible customer service. Now if I can just get the rest of my little home theater routines set up without losing all of my hair...!

Thanks again to both of you for the interesting conversation.
post #3952 of 3957 Unread Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Can the family sedan boast 500 Horsepower and run the quarter mile in under 14 seconds? Who cares, when the family sedan meets all of their current needs, and 300 of that horsepower will go UN-USED on a day-to-day basis. Ok.

It depends on the USER's NEEDS, doesn't it? Yep Most functions on a remote are used once, and if not once, so sparingly that they are unimportant in day to day use. Depends on the user. Those that are used commonly are usable from most any remote these days.

I use a single (my Mitsubishi TV) remote to control all of my components, including by PS3. My son uses a single (his Onkyo) remote to control all of his components, and he has over $xx,000 invested in his system.

If one has Cable, Satellite, or some other content provider, after a TV is initially setup, all that is ever required is to turn it on and off and maybe adjust volume. Volume control is unnecessary if one is using an A/V receiver, as the OP is doing (although most remotes can adjust many functions on the TV, including changing channels, usually on and off is all that is required).

Once a set-top box is installed, one needs to turn it on and off and change channels, access menus, etc. Can the Onkyo remote do all that? Yes (as can most remotes).

Once a DVD/Bluray player is installed, one needs to turn it on and off and access menus, play, pause, etc. Can the Onkyo remote do all that? Yes (as can most remotes).

Once a PS3 is installed, one needs to turn it on and off and access menus, play, pause, etc to play movies. Can the Onkyo remote do all that? Yes (as can my TV remote, all thanks to CEC).

So, to answer your question, can the Onkyo remote control EVERYTHING on these components? Yes or no would have been sufficient. Who cares? Why spend additional money for something one doesn't use? I set my Onkyo receiver and leave it alone, I don't as apparently the poster does not want to either. that's why I use my TV remote for everything. My son likes to fiddle with his surround settings,So do I which is why I like the Harmony. Sometimes when streaming Surround setting defaults to a music setting 2.0 and it has to be changed to the 2.0 movie mode so he uses his Onkyo remote for everything.

As I said, Harmony remotes were a great idea, back in the day, when no manufacturer's remote would control another's device. Some may still find their current remotes lacking, and need a Harmony even today for some applications. However, it is no longer a necessary or cost effective purchase for most people. I personally have been using a single remote for at least 10 years, with no need for a Harmony.

Based on the OP's setup, his Onkyo remote is capable of controlling everything he desires. That is the point of my posts. The point of my posts were to attempt to assist the OP get his remote working properly If he (or anyone) wants to continue to use the Harmony, I'm all for it. Like I said before, it ain't my house. It ain't my house either I was just hoping I could find out what was going on to see if I could be of some help to the OP of the problem.

Again, YMMV, IMO, No polar bears were harmed in the production of this post, etc
post #3953 of 3957 Unread Yesterday, 04:57 PM

Quote:
david0406, thanks for your interest in the issue I noted in the OP and for the interesting dialogue. I will overlook the claims of user error.

I felt there was no reason to articulate, when I said that I had set up the Harmony 650 according to instructions, that I have a computer and can set up a My Harmony account. That just seemed too obvious to report. I also felt there was no reason to note that manual programming of each function of the NR609 was the wrong way, the bad way, the time-wasting way, the stupid way to do it. What I should have articulated better was that, upon assigning the NR609 as a device on the remote (wherein the NR609 is -- BINGO!! -- identified and confirmed in the Harmony database), and then allowing the on-line app to run its sequence, the Harmony then failed to power on the NR609 or anything else. Why would that be? Why, after correctly identifying the NR609, adding it to the remote, doing the same for all other devices, and then watching the remote work flawlessly with ALL commands for my Panasonic TV, Panasonic DVR, and Panasonic BlueRay.... why would the Onkyo not even power up? User error??

Okay, I agree completely David, I should have known when I was led by the nose by Tech Support to manually program the various commands that something was wrong, and I did voice that a couple of times ("Wait--You seriously mean we have to program everything manually because of a defect in the database??") that I was getting, as you put it, seriously bad customer service (of which there are scores of reported examples on the Web). Trust me, I would love to merely move or reprogram buttons rather than having to teach each one of them to the remote first. But if there was not a defect in the NR609 function database, there seemed to be a defect in the download of those functions (even after numerous resets and reprogrammings as led by Tech Support). The only user goof that I am aware of is that, at first, I incorrectly positioned the remotes during the manual "learning" process. I would prefer to not have done a single manual learning step. Each of the 60-plus functions you mentioned, I can only see in the My Harmony's app's database, ready to be "added" via teaching. They're not on the Harmony itself, awaiting repositioning or editing. Something is not right there.

Someone did mention I should try programming the Harmony to a different Onkyo receiver, since they all have similar command databases, and see if the process works better. I may just give that a go!

Augerhandle, interesting perspective, thanks. I completely understand the point of your posts, and I'm well aware of the Onkyo remote's capabilities, having successfully used the RC-801M for several years to operate all of my home theater devices (and to generate most of the common commands). I merely wanted to be able to program activities. The RC-801M cannot learn activities. Maybe I'm better off buying an Onkyo remote that CAN!

I appreciate that you are sensitive to each user's needs, because we are all different people driven by different motives. Personally, I hate that starting to watch Netflix in my system involves a tedious set-up sequence...Turn on TV, turn on AVR, turn on Net-enabled BD-DVD, set TV input to HDMI (from "TV" where it usually is, drawing from the CableCard), setting the BD-DVD to Net, and then selecting Netflix from another menu, setting the AVR input to BD-DVD... I mean, that is quite a process for the wife to handle using the OEM remote(s). I have to say, even having gone through the frustration of setting up the damned Harmony, now to push just one button and then wander off to make popcorn is really a very "nice to have" feature. I think that Harmony's position in the market will be secure as long as there are suckers like me who think that is a cool thing, and so long as that outweighs their dumb, cloud-dependent ("ball and chain") programming and horrible customer service. Now if I can just get the rest of my little home theater routines set up without losing all of my hair...!

Thanks again to both of you for the interesting conversation.
Is it working right? Are you letting the sync complete? You should not have to manually " learn " whatever function you are looking to use from the Onk to the Harmony. Had I had to do that I would have ditched the damn things a long time ago. For me personally all my Harmonys make watching all my surround setups more convenient as easier to use especially for my wife in the bedroom without having to use multiple remotes. A simple " Watch TV" titled macro is much simpler for her. Don't misconstrue. I was not calling you stupid or trying to be condescending in any way. I was just hoping to be able to help.

Last edited by david0406; Yesterday at 05:05 PM.
post #3954 of 3957 Unread Yesterday, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...The RC-801M cannot learn activities. Maybe I'm better off buying an Onkyo remote that CAN!...
Sorry. Then in your case, "it's good to have a Harmony" Did ya see that, david0406?

Onkyo remote with Activities:

post #3955 of 3957 Unread Yesterday, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry. Then in your case, "it's good to have a Harmony" Did ya see that, david0406?

Onkyo remote with Activities:

That one is clearly different than my 609 remote. I have always been a lower tier audio/videophile.
post #3956 of 3957 Unread Today, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That one is clearly different than my 609 remote. I have always been a lower tier audio/videophile.
Left is my 609's RC-803M remote and right is my 636's 880M remote. Differences are in the top 5 and bottom rows of buttons. When I returned my 609 for upgrade they told me to keep the accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left 609's RC803M - Right 636's RC880M .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	507546  
post #3957 of 3957 Unread Today, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Left is my 609's RC-803M remote and right is my 636's 880M remote. Differences are in the top 5 rows, bottom row and blue Mode buttons . When I returned my 609 for upgrade they told me to keep the accessories.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page