Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3991 of 4000 Old 05-07-2015, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Submitted my information for return on 4/23. Box showed up on 4/26. Shipped out 4/27. Receiver (a 609) arrived back yesterday. Haven't fired it up yet to see if it works as it was replaced as the primary AVR by a Pioneer SC-81. The Onkyo will be moving up to the master bedroom, assuming it works, and replacing a 16 year old JVC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4000 Old 07-25-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does the TX-NR509 properly downmix everything to 2.1 if I only have two speakers (L/R) and a subwoofer or do I have to set it up?

Should I connect the optical/HDMI cable in game or TV inputs if I'm using a PC? Does it even matter?

Last edited by Starburst; 07-25-2015 at 12:50 PM.
post #3993 of 4000 Old 07-26-2015, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
doesn't matter which labeled input you use.. hdmi is better than optical, higher bandwidth can pass the dts-hd and master audio formats, which then get used when downmixing to 2.1.
my 609 does a great job downmixing to 2.1, just make sure you run the audyssey calibration/mic setup thing. and make sure your subwoofer is set to allow the receiver to do the crossover.. on mine I just turn the crossover knob all the way up to 120hz which is the max.. then the receiver sets the crossover to whatever audyssey tells it to

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, Goldmund Mimesis 29 clone amplifier, Schiit wyrd/Geek out 450 dac, Krell ksa-5 clone hp amp, Hifiman he-560 headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #3994 of 4000 Old 07-26-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
doesn't matter which labeled input you use.. hdmi is better than optical, higher bandwidth can pass the dts-hd and master audio formats, which then get used when downmixing to 2.1.
my 609 does a great job downmixing to 2.1, just make sure you run the audyssey calibration/mic setup thing. and make sure your subwoofer is set to allow the receiver to do the crossover.. on mine I just turn the crossover knob all the way up to 120hz which is the max.. then the receiver sets the crossover to whatever audyssey tells it to
Thanks for the help and extra info, I think I'll set my sub to 80hz though, I think that's what THX recommends and just in case Audessey sets it to above 80hz or something.
post #3995 of 4000 Old 07-26-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
Thanks for the help and extra info, I think I'll set my sub to 80hz though, I think that's what THX recommends and just in case Audessey sets it to above 80hz or something.

No, No, No.

Set the LPF on the sub to 120 Hz (basically eliminating it). The other LPF settings on the sub are for use with an older receiver without Audessey or other bass management. If you set it lower than 120 Hz., you will lose some LFE content (see below). Set the crossover in Audessey to 80 Hz (you can adjust this later*). This cutoff (or crossover frequency), is the frequency at which stuff that would normally be played by your main speakers will now be sent by your amplifier to the subwoofer in addition to the LFE stuff being played (again, see below). If you set both the sub AND Audessey to 80 Hz, the filters combine to make the roll off steeper and you will lose content (volume) in frequencies near the crossover point.

Set the LPF of LFE in Audessey to 120 Hz. Note: This is different than the settings above. This makes sure ALL of the LFE, or Low Frequency Effects (the .1 in 5.1) is sent to the subwoofer, and not lost (this is another reason for setting the sub to 120 Hz. above).

Set your speakers to SMALL, even if they are huge (small basically just means you are using a subwoofer).

* you may adjust the crossover in Audessey up or down from 80 Hz to better integrate your sub with your other speakers. Experiment with this setting after you have listened (with it set at 80 Hz) for a few days or weeks. A good rule of thumb is to set it 10 Hz above the -3 dB point of your other speakers. My speakers play well down to around 60 Hz, so I set it at 70 Hz. With smaller or less efficient surrounds, one might need to set it as high as 120 Hz.
Starburst likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; 07-26-2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: clarification
post #3996 of 4000 Old 07-26-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
No, No, No.

Set the LPF on the sub to 120 Hz (basically eliminating it). The other LPF settings on the sub are for use with an older receiver without Audessey or other bass management. If you set it lower than 120 Hz., you will lose some LFE content (see below). Set the crossover in Audessey to 80 Hz (you can adjust this later*). This cutoff (or crossover frequency), is the frequency at which stuff that would normally be played by your main speakers will now be sent by your amplifier to the subwoofer in addition to the LFE stuff being played (again, see below). If you set both the sub AND Audessey to 80 Hz, the filters combine to make the roll off steeper and you will lose content (volume) in frequencies near the crossover point.

Set the LPF of LFE in Audessey to 120 Hz. Note: This is different than the settings above. This makes sure ALL of the LFE, or Low Frequency Effects (the .1 in 5.1) is sent to the subwoofer, and not lost (this is another reason for setting the sub to 120 Hz. above).

Set your speakers to SMALL, even if they are huge (small basically just means you are using a subwoofer).

* you may adjust the crossover in Audessey up or down from 80 Hz to better integrate your sub with your other speakers. Experiment with this setting after you have listened (with it set at 80 Hz) for a few days or weeks. A good rule of thumb is to set it 10 Hz above the -3 dB point of your other speakers. My speakers play well down to around 60 Hz, so I set it at 70 Hz. With smaller or less efficient surrounds, one might need to set it as high as 120 Hz.
Ohh alright, that makes sense lol, thanks for the advice, I'll wait until my sub gets here and see how it goes for a few days and post back to update on how it went.

Btw for the Mic Setup, it says I have to use a tripod but I don't have anything like that, would it be alright to just put it on some stacked books to get the mic to ear level?

Last edited by Starburst; 07-26-2015 at 04:06 PM.
post #3997 of 4000 Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
Ohh alright, that makes sense lol, thanks for the advice, I'll wait until my sub gets here and see how it goes for a few days and post back to update on how it went.

Btw for the Mic Setup, it says I have to use a tripod but I don't have anything like that, would it be alright to just put it on some stacked books to get the mic to ear level?

Buy a cheap tripod, it makes a difference. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-TG-...ripod/21675280

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3998 of 4000 Old 07-26-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Buy a cheap tripod, it makes a difference. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-TG-...ripod/21675280
I blew the budget I had (and a little over) to buy the main components down to the last penny so I can't even consider something cheap right now, to that end I'm considering using the screw on top of a lamp that someone advised on another thread.

Channels: 2.1 (Connected to Receiver)
Receiver: Onkyo TX - NR509 (Connected to PC GTX 970-HDMI)
Speakers: Pioneer BS-22 (L/R)
Subwoofer: JBL ES250P (Not Connected Yet)
PC: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition;EVGA GTX 970 FTW;Gigabyte 990 FXA-UD3
post #3999 of 4000 Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would it be safe to completely shut off power to the NR609 after prolonged use and without first turning the receiver off?

It's all about the sound!
post #4000 of 4000 Unread Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It should be. I've had power outages while it was on, and it just turns itself back on when the power is restored.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page