Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #4021 of 4033 Old 12-28-2015, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar79 View Post
I've recently ordered a projector so will need the ability to switch my AVR HDMI output to either the Television or the projector (silly me at the time thought who needs to HDMI outputs on an AVR!) Anyone have a setup like this? Assuming I would need an HDMI switch but for output rather than input.

I should add that 1 output will require a 3ft HDMI cable whereas the other will be a 25ft HDMI cable.

Would this work?
http://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon%C2%AE-Bi...s=hdmi+1x2#Ask

That should work. What you need is a SPLITTER ... 1x2 or better.

I use this,
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5312
but it's over-kill because I just use the splitter or "x2 part". I can watch on both at the same time or turn off the one I don't want on.

Here is a ... J-Tech 1x2 HDMI Splitter
blackstar79 likes this.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR-Amplifier (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ 630 watts)
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win7-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4033 Old 01-13-2016, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
After a little over 3 years, lo and behold, my beloved 609 had no HDMI sound, no ethernet, and no optical sound. Thinking I was SOL, I reluctantly bit the bullet and purchased a Yamaha RX-V679. Then I went to Onkyo's website and saw the product support bulletin about them offering free repair and shipping for all receivers with this issue until 2018.

Dang! Went ahead and got that set up. Yamaha will be here today some time. Sensible thing to do is to return the Yamaha and get back the money I was saving up to fix the dent in my truck. Wife would agree...

However, I...just...can't...do...it! Latest and greatest man, FTW LOL...

Anyone want a 609 with a fresh HDMI board? PM me...
TheChadd likes this.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #4023 of 4033 Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
NEW 609 Issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwoodward View Post
Mine worked.
I did have one startup failure when the HDMI Startup didn't go away.
Did a factory reset and so far it's ok.

Lot's more clicking after the repair, and it's running hot.

I got my repaired receiver back last Feb, today it's broken again.
I am getting blue screen on all HDMI inputs

Cables work if I plug directly to TV. They offered only a trade in which doesn't see worth it to me for a used/repaired model for 100 off and half the warranty.

Anyone else have this issue?
I can use the menu system and hear the output in the speaker levels setting...

thanks,
post #4024 of 4033 Old 04-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I got my repaired receiver back last Feb, today it's broken again.
I am getting blue screen on all HDMI inputs

Cables work if I plug directly to TV. They offered only a trade in which doesn't see worth it to me for a used/repaired model for 100 off and half the warranty.

Anyone else have this issue?
I can use the menu system and hear the output in the speaker levels setting...

thanks,
I have the same issue. For me the only thing that fixed it was to hook my pc to the pc labeled hdmi port. For some reason, if the computer is off, or I disconnect that hdmi connection it gives me blue screen on all other inputs. I know it's odd but it works every time for me. I at least have a functioning receiver until I can find a good deal to replace it.

PSN: Hypermobius
Xbox Live: Hypermobius
post #4025 of 4033 Old 04-13-2016, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermobius View Post
I have the same issue. For me the only thing that fixed it was to hook my pc to the pc labeled hdmi port. For some reason, if the computer is off, or I disconnect that hdmi connection it gives me blue screen on all other inputs. I know it's odd but it works every time for me. I at least have a functioning receiver until I can find a good deal to replace it.
So you plug it back in and it works?
What if you no longer want that connected?
Have you tried connecting something else besides pc to that connection?

while you have blue screen do you get any of the OSD (volume up down etc)?

Your solution seems very strange.. I think I can try it.
post #4026 of 4033 Old 04-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
So you plug it back in and it works?
What if you no longer want that connected?
Have you tried connecting something else besides pc to that connection?

while you have blue screen do you get any of the OSD (volume up down etc)?

Your solution seems very strange.. I think I can try it.
I tried to connect other things, like a spare roku I had lying around and the only thing that worked was the output hdmi from my pc video card.

I believe I can still access the OSD menu but don't recall if the volume indicator comes up when I adjust it on blue screen.

I really didn't want to have to turn on my desktop pc just to watch tv, movies, etc. but it's the only thing that keeps me from having to deal with blue screens.

PSN: Hypermobius
Xbox Live: Hypermobius
post #4027 of 4033 Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What is the best option for using my 609 with my Xbox one? The Xbox can output either 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed or Bitstream out. I would assume Bitstream out is best (let the receiver process the audio) but then my next question is what receiver setting is best for processing the audio?

Direct? THX game? Multi channel?

Any advice is appreciated.
post #4028 of 4033 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post
What is the best option for using my 609 with my Xbox one? The Xbox can output either 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed or Bitstream out. I would assume Bitstream out is best (let the receiver process the audio) but then my next question is what receiver setting is best for processing the audio?

Direct? THX game? Multi channel?

Any advice is appreciated.

Try THX Game.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #4029 of 4033 Old Today, 06:49 AM

Upon further investigation this would seem to be a little more complicated than I originally thought. In order to pass bitstream audio the xbox will process the audio as either Dolby digital or DTS which may be worse than if I go 5.1 uncompressed from the xbox and select multi-channel on my receiver. To further confuse myself I am not entirely sure if any of these modes defeat the receivers room correction?

For games this seems like apples and oranges but for movies I would like the processing to closest outcome to the master as possible.

I guess a dedicated bluray is the best solution but as a geek I need to understand how my audio is being processed so I can choose the method that bothers me the least.
post #4030 of 4033 Old Today, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Upon further investigation this would seem to be a little more complicated than I originally thought. In order to pass bitstream audio the xbox will process the audio as either Dolby digital or DTS which may be worse than if I go 5.1 uncompressed from the xbox and select multi-channel on my receiver. To further confuse myself I am not entirely sure if any of these modes defeat the receivers room correction?

For games this seems like apples and oranges but for movies I would like the processing to closest outcome to the master as possible.

I guess a dedicated bluray is the best solution but as a geek I need to understand how my audio is being processed so I can choose the method that bothers me the least.
So that the audio is not fudged with you will need to set your Xbox to pass the audio as Uncompressed to your Receiver. Then select multi-channel on your receiver. Multi-Channel will still use the room correction algorithms. The audio that will come through will be the HD version of the audio, you just won't see the fancy DTS-HD/DD-HD symbols light up on the receiver.

The option that will not use the room-correction is the DIRECT option on the receiver, all other options use room correction.

Hope that helps ya out.
post #4031 of 4033 Old Today, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
So that the audio is not fudged with you will need to set your Xbox to pass the audio as Uncompressed to your Receiver. Then select multi-channel on your receiver. Multi-Channel will still use the room correction algorithms. The audio that will come through will be the HD version of the audio, you just won't see the fancy DTS-HD/DD-HD symbols light up on the receiver.

The option that will not use the room-correction is the DIRECT option on the receiver, all other options use room correction.

Hope that helps ya out.
That is exactly what I wanted to know. My only remaining question is how is the LFE channel handled in this scenario? Right now my sub goes up to 100 Hz. Does media with a dedicated LFE track stop at 80Hz? Is there a hole from 80-100 Hz?

I ask because when I use multi-channel there is little to no low end but when I set the receiver to all channel stereo the sound is much richer.

A seperate issue that could be creating this is that I have way more sub than speakers. I bought a JBL ES250P sub because there was a price that was too good to ignore ($170 new from Harmon) but I am patiently trying to figure out the best option to replace my HTIB front sound stage. I'm looking at the new ELAC UNI bookshelf speakers as a best bang for the buck front setup but cash is tight and Andrew Jones pioneer floorstanding speakers can be had for less.
post #4032 of 4033 Old Today, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
That is exactly what I wanted to know. My only remaining question is how is the LFE channel handled in this scenario? Right now my sub goes up to 100 Hz. Does media with a dedicated LFE track stop at 80Hz? Is there a hole from 80-100 Hz?

I ask because when I use multi-channel there is little to no low end but when I set the receiver to all channel stereo the sound is much richer.

A seperate issue that could be creating this is that I have way more sub than speakers. I bought a JBL ES250P sub because there was a price that was too good to ignore ($170 new from Harmon) but I am patiently trying to figure out the best option to replace my HTIB front sound stage. I'm looking at the new ELAC UNI bookshelf speakers as a best bang for the buck front setup but cash is tight and Andrew Jones pioneer floorstanding speakers can be had for less.
This one will take a bit of explaining.

First I will cover how All Channel stereo works and why you likely seem to get more bass. With All channel stereo your receiver takes the signal from left and right and duplicates them to your rears and join them together for you Center and sub channel so that they will play all content they receive. In the case of your suboowfer it is trying to play all the sound that is possibly can. In your case it is trying all ranges from 25-150hz. If you have the crossover turned on and set at 100hz your subwoofer will ignore everything over 100 and will play all frequencies it can from 25-100hz.

The additional item to throw into the mix is the Receivers Low Pass filter. All Channel stereo, if I remember correctly, ignores the receivers low-pass filter setting. So if you have the low pass filter set on the receiver and do not have the crossover enabled on the subwoofer it s trying to play all frequencies form 25-150hz. And after that, when you go into a non-all channel stereo playback mode the low pass filter is working and only sending 25-100hz. The Low pass filter always gets first bid, since it filters out frequencies before it touches your sub. Another possible reason you are missing out when not using All Channel stereo is that you have low pass filter at 80 (typical default) and your subwoofer crossover is on and enabled at 100hz. In this case with all channel stereo your subwoofer is playing all signals up to 100hz since the low pass filter is being ignores. And then when you use another playback model the high-pass filter is being used and your subwoofer is only getting frequencies from 25-80hz. Since a large amount of movies, music, and games focus on a lot of mid-bass and lower mid-bass 60-3000hz for impact this would explain why it sounds like you are missing a lot of audio. The reason a they focus on those frequencies is because they try to target the average consumer with a 5.1 htib box set where the sub cannot handle anything lower than 60hz.

Alright, I think that should just about cover it.
post #4033 of 4033 Old Today, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
This one will take a bit of explaining.

First I will cover how All Channel stereo works and why you likely seem to get more bass. With All channel stereo your receiver takes the signal from left and right and duplicates them to your rears and join them together for you Center and sub channel so that they will play all content they receive. In the case of your suboowfer it is trying to play all the sound that is possibly can. In your case it is trying all ranges from 25-150hz. If you have the crossover turned on and set at 100hz your subwoofer will ignore everything over 100 and will play all frequencies it can from 25-100hz.

The additional item to throw into the mix is the Receivers Low Pass filter. All Channel stereo, if I remember correctly, ignores the receivers low-pass filter setting. So if you have the low pass filter set on the receiver and do not have the crossover enabled on the subwoofer it s trying to play all frequencies form 25-150hz. And after that, when you go into a non-all channel stereo playback mode the low pass filter is working and only sending 25-100hz. The Low pass filter always gets first bid, since it filters out frequencies before it touches your sub. Another possible reason you are missing out when not using All Channel stereo is that you have low pass filter at 80 (typical default) and your subwoofer crossover is on and enabled at 100hz. In this case with all channel stereo your subwoofer is playing all signals up to 100hz since the low pass filter is being ignores. And then when you use another playback model the high-pass filter is being used and your subwoofer is only getting frequencies from 25-80hz. Since a large amount of movies, music, and games focus on a lot of mid-bass and lower mid-bass 60-3000hz for impact this would explain why it sounds like you are missing a lot of audio. The reason a they focus on those frequencies is because they try to target the average consumer with a 5.1 htib box set where the sub cannot handle anything lower than 60hz.

Alright, I think that should just about cover it.
You have covered everything perfectly. Thank you. My sub is set in LFE mode so there is no low pass filter at the sub. My speakers are set to 100 Hz by audyssey. My sub seems terrible but I have known that this is because it is being neutered by the room correction to try and match the other speakers. Everything makes sense now based on your explanation of how all channel stereo works.

I'm very much looking forward to getting a front stage that can perform in the mid bass range. I know the difference in sound will be game changing.

Again, thank you for helping me understand exactly what these settings are doing behind the scenes. I find home audio setup to be easy to understand but hard to figure out when dealing with a black box scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page