Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #4051 of 4069 Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post
Unfortunately, the answer is no. The HDMI board somehow also control the speaker outputs and there is no sound when the HDMI board breaks. With this failure, the Onkyo receptors become useless.
My 609 audio just started pooping out. First I got loud crackling / popping noises from the rear L and R speakers, then no sound at all. I am only able to watch TV by using HDMI pass through and putting the receiver in standby.

Does this sound like the "no sound" issue being addressed by the extended warranty action?

Thanks

-- G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4069 Old 10-23-2016, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger77 View Post
My 609 audio just started pooping out. First I got loud crackling / popping noises from the rear L and R speakers, then no sound at all. I am only able to watch TV by using HDMI pass through and putting the receiver in standby.

Does this sound like the "no sound" issue being addressed by the extended warranty action?

Thanks

-- G.
Onkyo support list of symptoms that may be related to a faulty HDMI board are:

- Loss of sound experienced on a specific channel.
- Loss of sound experienced on all channels.
- Speaker indicator on display is not showing.
- Speaker indicator on display is on.
- "Now Initializing..." message on display is showing constantly.
- Network settings in Setup Menu is grayed out (unselectable).
- Loss of video on HDMI output.
- Noise/crackled audio comes out of speakers (after verifying speaker wires and audio connections are secure).

In my 509, I had loss of sound on all channels, speaker indicator on display not showing and network settings grayed out, but video using HDMI output worked fine.

You need to contact Onkyo support. Using the receiver serial number, you can verify if yours is covered under the extended warranty and get it repaired for free.
post #4053 of 4069 Old 10-23-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post
Onkyo support list of symptoms that may be related to a faulty HDMI board are:

- Loss of sound experienced on a specific channel.
- Loss of sound experienced on all channels.
- Speaker indicator on display is not showing.
- Speaker indicator on display is on.
- "Now Initializing..." message on display is showing constantly.
- Network settings in Setup Menu is grayed out (unselectable).
- Loss of video on HDMI output.
- Noise/crackled audio comes out of speakers (after verifying speaker wires and audio connections are secure).

In my 509, I had loss of sound on all channels, speaker indicator on display not showing and network settings grayed out, but video using HDMI output worked fine.

You need to contact Onkyo support. Using the receiver serial number, you can verify if yours is covered under the extended warranty and get it repaired for free.
Thanks, I have a few of those symptoms.

I went on-line, verified my S/N was covered, and signed up for the repair program. Prepaid shipping box on the way.

post #4054 of 4069 Old 12-01-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My brother in law lost his setup mic for his 509. Does anyone know if the mic for my 609 will work for him? I can't find a part number for my mic but it looks like his is Acm1h.
post #4055 of 4069 Old 12-05-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I went on-line, verified my S/N was covered, and signed up for the repair program. Prepaid shipping box on the way.
As a belated follow-up, the receiver came back in less than a week! So far it works flawlessly, but a little differently. HDMI start-up takes longer than it did before. I have no issue with it if it's going to be more reliable.

Last edited by gregger77; 12-05-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo
post #4056 of 4069 Old 12-06-2016, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
As a belated follow-up, the receiver came back in less than a week! So far it works flawlessly, but a little differently. HDMI start-up takes longer than it did before. I have no issue with it if it's going to be more reliable.
You will also notice the cooling fan kicking in more often, or at least that is what I saw when I got mine repaired.
post #4057 of 4069 Old 12-29-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New member here looking for some help with my TX-NR509. I've had it for about 4 years and it's worked great with no issues, until today. I had been watching tv with my kids for about a half hour when all of a sudden the receiver shut down. Strange thing was it kept cycling on and off. When it would power on I'd here, what i believe is, the relay then every pixel of the display would light up for 1/2 a second before it would shut down, only to start turning on again.

I called Onkyo and the guy basically said he's never heard of this issue before and I would have to pay for at least a diagnostic fee at a service center.

I'd like to pick the forum's brain about what this might be and what I might try. I tried doing the factory reset but it doesn't stay on long enough - same goes for a firmware update, doesnt' stay on long enough. I took the cover off to look for anything obviously burned out or melted.

Thanks for any help you might provide.
post #4058 of 4069 Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Md44022 View Post
New member here looking for some help with my TX-NR509. I've had it for about 4 years and it's worked great with no issues, until today. I had been watching tv with my kids for about a half hour when all of a sudden the receiver shut down. Strange thing was it kept cycling on and off. When it would power on I'd here, what i believe is, the relay then every pixel of the display would light up for 1/2 a second before it would shut down, only to start turning on again.

I called Onkyo and the guy basically said he's never heard of this issue before and I would have to pay for at least a diagnostic fee at a service center.

I'd like to pick the forum's brain about what this might be and what I might try. I tried doing the factory reset but it doesn't stay on long enough - same goes for a firmware update, doesnt' stay on long enough. I took the cover off to look for anything obviously burned out or melted.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Send it in to Onkyo. They'll lose it, and then they'll give you a new one

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #4059 of 4069 Old 12-30-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Send it in to Onkyo. They'll lose it, and then they'll give you a new one
I'm detecting a hint of sarcasm there, but I'd surely have to pay at least shipping charges and whatever fee they'd charge for diagnosing/fixing it.
post #4060 of 4069 Old 12-30-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Md44022 View Post
I'm detecting a hint of sarcasm there, but I'd surely have to pay at least shipping charges and whatever fee they'd charge for diagnosing/fixing it.

They lost mine

Get an estimate from them, or a local shop. Weigh the cost against a new unit, and then decide.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #4061 of 4069 Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
They lost mine

Get an estimate from them, or a local shop. Weigh the cost against a new unit, and then decide.
Thanks. I called the service center in NY a few days ago and they said they'd diagnose it for free and tell me the cost to fix. I figure the cost to ship it ($20) was worth it to find out if the fix is cheap and easy or cost prohibitive, or anywhere in between. I'll report back.
post #4062 of 4069 Old 01-12-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Out of curiosity, does the TX-NR609 have the ability to somewhere show the bitrate of digital audio being fed it? For example, for DD, could it show if it's 384, 448, etc...

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #4063 of 4069 Old 01-12-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Out of curiosity, does the TX-NR609 have the ability to somewhere show the bitrate of digital audio being fed it? For example, for DD, could it show if it's 384, 448, etc...
I don't think it can. At least mine doesn't by default and I've never seen anything indicating that there may be a setting to do so.
post #4064 of 4069 Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have the 609 and am anyways messing around with the listening modes for movies/games. Is there a set it and forget it that I should just leave it at? I normally stitch between all stereo and thx movie. I never use direct.

Everytime I run audesey I get different result and I use the Xbox one s as my media hub. I'm not disappointed by the sound however I'd like to stop messing around with it.

I'm assuming everyone just pass through the video and not use any presets either.

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 01-13-2017 at 12:03 AM.
post #4065 of 4069 Old 01-13-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post
I have the 609 and am anyways messing around with the listening modes for movies/games. Is there a set it and forget it that I should just leave it at? I normally stitch between all stereo and thx movie. I never use direct.

Everytime I run audesey I get different result and I use the Xbox one s as my media hub. I'm not disappointed by the sound however I'd like to stop messing around with it.

I'm assuming everyone just pass through the video and not use any presets either.
It can vary on just what you really want.

You are probably right that many users will have the video set for pass thru or equivalent.

I don't think I use any of the pre-defined modes. I do have the Audyssey set up. I also have 2.0 audio set to use PLII Movie decoding. Other formats are unmodified.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #4066 of 4069 Old 02-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Liked: 10
I just switched out my receiver from a Marantz SR7001 to the Onkyo TX NR609. I have a HSU VTF-15H MK2sub.

When I had the sub connected to the Marantz, I was able to feel the sound of certain scenes through my clothes. Using the same settings on the sub, the super low lows are just not hitting the same. I'm comparing the same audio scene that was run under both receivers. Literally watched the same scene 100 times to re-tune the speakers.

Is there some other setting on the TX NR609 that might be limiting the sub? Just not sure where to look. The sub has a built-in amp that I'm using. I do see the option for speaker distance with the sub. Wondering if I should just set that to 0ft?
post #4067 of 4069 Old 02-08-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin2000 View Post
I just switched out my receiver from a Marantz SR7001 to the Onkyo TX NR609. I have a HSU VTF-15H MK2sub.

When I had the sub connected to the Marantz, I was able to feel the sound of certain scenes through my clothes. Using the same settings on the sub, the super low lows are just not hitting the same. I'm comparing the same audio scene that was run under both receivers. Literally watched the same scene 100 times to re-tune the speakers.

Is there some other setting on the TX NR609 that might be limiting the sub? Just not sure where to look. The sub has a built-in amp that I'm using. I do see the option for speaker distance with the sub. Wondering if I should just set that to 0ft?
Have you tried setting the manual Volume and Frequency response on the sub near max, and then running full Audyssey Calibration on Onkyo?

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ wrat-Amp 630 watts )
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic dmp-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub
post #4068 of 4069 Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Have you tried setting the manual Volume and Frequency response on the sub near max, and then running full Audyssey Calibration on Onkyo?
- I have the sub set to play 40hz and below, volume is at 6.5/10 (another sub is hitting the higher frequencies, but I've left that off for this test/tune).

Rather than Audyssey, I have a musician friend that has lent an ear for fine tuning each speaker for the type of movies we watch. We've nailed the 5 surround speakers perfect, it's just the sub we're having trouble with.

Setting was the same on the sub for both receivers. It just looks like the Onkyo has a ton more options for additional ways to manipulate the signal, and I'd rather have the sub's amp do all that work... I just can't tell what else is being manipulated.
post #4069 of 4069 Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

To follow up on my receiver, it turned into a saga which finally ended today, almost 2 1/2 months later.

First issue was there was shipping damage to my unit. I've packed a lot ignored things for shipping and this is the first damage I've had. I found out later there was another receiver damaged in shipping that came in th same day, so likely the same caveman handled both of them.

So there was the whole run around about the USPS insurance claim. I provided reciepts, and proof of insurance (I think I put $500 insurance on it which covered the $150 bill).

Then there was fixing the things that was wrong to begin with, which was another $150. After a few calls I finally got them to cover it under warranty, even though it's a 4 year old unit.

But every step along the way was painfully and slow. There were a number of balls dropped on their end and it took a call from me to get it going. Apparently their tech messed up some paperwork too.

Overall I'm not at all happy with the service from United Radio. There's no excuse for taking 2 1/2 months to get a unit fixed and returned.

I'm happy to have a working receiver now though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page