Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 138 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #4111 of 4117 Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo TX-NR609 audio dropouts (compatibility issue with TV?)

Hello, I am new to this and in desperate need of your help!

My issue is, that I experience (at first) random audio dropouts using my Receiver (onkyo tx-609) connected to the TV (LG OLED 65B6V) via HDMI-ARC.
The dropouts are very short (fraction of a second) and appear on all speakers; depending on the material they appear from once in a movie to multiple times in a minute. Audio resumes normal after a dropout.
It only happens, when the receiver has to play a digital audio source (dts or dolby digital) with the tv (internal Netflix app or internal player) as its source.

I tried a replacement receiver connected the same way as the Onkyo -> no issues detectable anymore
The dropouts also disappear when I use another playback device (Amazon FireTV 2nd gen in my case)

what I have already tried:

- different HDMI cable
- other means of signal transport: optical SPDIF
- RMA of the TV -> mainboard change
- Receiver already went through the "loss of audio"-Customer Care Program
- RMA of the Receiver -> HDMI-processing board change

I am thankful of every help I'll get.
- Morehatz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4117 Old 10-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Angry Spotify dropped support for TX-NR 609

I just tried to connect my TX-NR609 to my Spotify premium account and discovered that this receiver along with a bunch of others is no longer supported.

https://support.spotify.com/us/liste...on-my-speaker/

Does anyone know why Spotify would block access from these receivers?
post #4113 of 4117 Old 10-01-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimocan View Post
I just tried to connect my TX-NR609 to my Spotify premium account and discovered that this receiver along with a bunch of others is no longer supported.

Less device specific software updates to write (cheaper).

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________

post #4114 of 4117 Old 10-01-2017, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I think Spotify wanted to eliminate the various different applications on different devices by streamlining use of the app through the mobile application. Just a guess and probably cheaper as the other poster stated. When I had my 609 I just connected a Chromecast to it and cast the app from my smartphone. This does require a WI-FI connection to your smartphone. I used to stream Spotify through my Roku3 and Spotify eliminated the use of playlists from the Roku app therefore rendering it useless to me in my opinion.

Last edited by david0406; 10-03-2017 at 04:44 AM.
post #4115 of 4117 Old 10-01-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morehatz View Post
I tried a replacement receiver connected the same way as the Onkyo -> no issues detectable anymore
Well, unless I'm missing something here, it sounds like you have already trouble-shot it down to a problem with the Onkyo 609 itself.

As far as ARC goes:
- ARC is only for content generated by the TV itself (like on-board tuners or TV-Apps)
- Turning-off ARC and using an optical SDPIF should be exactly the same thing (in fact, more "native")
- On my brother's system (Onkyo-609 and Panasonic Plasma), I recall having to turn-on HDMI-CEC on both to get ARC to work.

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") ~ Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Dot
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Subwoofer
post #4116 of 4117 Old 10-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Less device specific software updates to write (cheaper).
So, is it Onkyo that is not updating their receiver firmware? - sounds like a ploy to force me to purchase a new receiver when the existing TX-NR506 perfectly meets my needs.
post #4117 of 4117 Old 10-01-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Exclamation

Quote:
So, is it Onkyo that is not updating their receiver firmware? - sounds like a ploy to force me to purchase a new receiver when the existing TX-NR506 perfectly meets my needs.
Possibly, but in this case it appears to be Spotify's decision (as usual, the App developer is calling the shots).

As far as Onkyo not keep their firmware current, so is the case with many aged components that have advanced tech like this. For instance, VieraCast in both my Panasonic Plasma and Blu-Ray were great for the first few years. But then, slowly, we started loosing functional Apps (Amazon, YouTube, etc.). Nowdays, they are pretty much void of working popular Apps.

Something can be said for keeping "the cool stuff" in small up-gradable/replaceable boxes (connected via HDMI).

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") ~ Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Dot
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page