Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 3864 Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by docradar View Post

I have the 709. It had the problem with edge enhancement when I got it. I did a firmware update over the 'net two days ago, and the problem is now gone. The picture looks great to my old eyes.

Thanks buddy thats great to hear! I had posted on Onkyos facebook and they asked me to call support. The girl at support was useless! First she told me that all my cables were faulty and that there was no way to tell which firmware my Onkyo has. She was also positive that all 370 and 709 had shipped with the latest firmware??? She had no answer for why there was a firmware update available on the website and actually told me I should exhange my unit! This is something I really want to avoid as a replacement would take 2 weeks. Anyways just upgrading via USB right now....fingers crossed

EDIT: Upgraded firmware.....issue resolved....woohooo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 3864 Old 05-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievoviii View Post

Yeah but the SR608 doesn't have preout.

BTW i work and race Evo for a living here in southern California.

race professionally? autox, hpde? Or you have a shop?
post #393 of 3864 Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 PM

Dear All ,

I have recently purchased NR 609 with KEF 2005 5.1 speaker set. I am having problem with Sub woofer . There is no sound coming from the sub woofer .

Sub woofer power indicator is green and volume set to max . Cross over freq is ~60HZ .

@ NR 609 sub woofer selected YES

During audyssey setup I could hear sound all 4 speakers , noting shows up from sub woofer . same is with while checking calibration.

I have tried factory reset @ NR609 but no use .

Kindly let me know how to check my sub is working fine and what could be the issue ?

Thanks in advance .
post #394 of 3864 Old 05-21-2011, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by meamme View Post

Dear All ,

I have recently purchased NR 609 with KEF 2005 5.1 speaker set. I am having problem with Sub woofer . There is no sound coming from the sub woofer .

Sub woofer power indicator is green and volume set to max . Cross over freq is ~60HZ .

@ NR 609 sub woofer selected YES

During audyssey setup I could hear sound all 4 speakers , noting shows up from sub woofer . same is with while checking calibration.

I have tried factory reset @ NR609 but no use .

Kindly let me know how to check my sub is working fine and what could be the issue ?

Thanks in advance .

Turn down the subwoofer to halfway, and double check all connections. Most common problem is sub plugged into wrong jack on receiver.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #395 of 3864 Old 05-21-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Turn down the subwoofer to halfway, and double check all connections. Most common problem is sub plugged into wrong jack on receiver.

i have double checked the jack , its connected to sub-woofer preout . Nr609 has to jacks for sub's . tried in both but no use.

how to check if sub it self is working ?
post #396 of 3864 Old 05-21-2011, 03:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

i have double checked the jack , its connected to sub-woofer preout . Nr609 has to jacks for sub's . tried in both but no use.

DId you go into setup and turn on the sub woofer? DId you run the audussy setup with the mic attached?
post #397 of 3864 Old 05-21-2011, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Hi meamme, with subwoofer on try removing the sub cable from the "Subwoofer Pre-Out" and rub your finger over the tip to see if you can hear static from the sub.

Or connect a player (CD, DVD, iPhone, etc...) using RCA (red or white) cables to sub "In" and see if any sound is heard.
post #398 of 3864 Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post

DId you go into setup and turn on the sub woofer? DId you run the audussy setup with the mic attached?

yes sub is ON in AVR setup . When I run audyssey setup all 5 speakers can produce sound for calculation. Sub showing as calculating , no sound what so ever. after completion of calculation it shows d/b & freq levels for 5 speakers and for sub it shows as none .

Seems its unable to detect at all .

I tried same with two port on AVR .
post #399 of 3864 Old 05-21-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:

yes sub is ON in AVR setup . When I run audyssey setup all 5 speakers can produce sound for calculation. Sub showing as calculating , no sound what so ever. after completion of calculation it shows d/b & freq levels for 5 speakers and for sub it shows as none .

Seems its unable to detect at all .

I tried same with two port on AVR .

Have you read pg 14?

Is your sub woofer powered?
post #400 of 3864 Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post

Have you read pg 14?

Is your sub woofer powered?

yes it is powered , i have seen pg 14 . i have checked on both jacks .

post #401 of 3864 Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Are you sure the sub is okay? Since it does produce sound in AVR setup ,have you let it run for a long time (calculating)?
post #402 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi meamme, with subwoofer on try removing the sub cable from the "Subwoofer Pre-Out" and rub your finger over the tip to see if you can hear static from the sub.

Or connect a player (CD, DVD, iPhone, etc...) using RCA (red or white) cables to sub "In" and see if any sound is heard.

i tired with ipod connected to subs L/R , no sound at all . Seems subs is gone . its few days old .

What could be the reason to blow subs ? . Shall I check resistance across L & R input ?

Is it the right way to see if it is still alive ?
post #403 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 05:23 AM

Liked: 11
Can someone tell me if the 609 has the relay clicks that are present in some Onkyo's?
Thanks
post #404 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

i tired with ipod connected to subs L/R , no sound at all . Seems subs is gone . its few days old .

What could be the reason to blow subs ? . Shall I check resistance across L & R input ?

Is it the right way to see if it is still alive ?

I'm guessing you would have already thought of this but does it have a fuse or breaker?

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #405 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal01 View Post

Can someone tell me if the 609 has the relay clicks that are present in some Onkyo's?
Thanks

Yep, still clicks every time it goes from stereo to surround or vice-versa. Although I must say, the NR609's clicks aren't as loud as those of the ~10-year-old Onkyo it's replacing.
post #406 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Liked: 13
Anyone have any issues programming a harmony ONE remote with this receiver? Thinking of pulling the trigger this weekend on a 609.

Also not enthusiastic about the relay clicks, I hated that on my last Onkyo.
post #407 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I'm guessing you would have already thought of this but does it have a fuse or breaker?

It has fuse !! FUSE type : F4H 250V .

I am sure fuse is not blown as the power LED is green at the subs .

Is it rite to check ohms across L /R to see the sub's coil is live ?
post #408 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrtime3 View Post

Anyone have any issues programming a harmony ONE remote with this receiver? Thinking of pulling the trigger this weekend on a 609.

Also not enthusiastic about the relay clicks, I hated that on my last Onkyo.

I have my Harmony ONE working with my 609 without any problems. One thing I did need to do is learn the the function commands from the original remote. For instance, the NET function key command codes are different than the Receiver function command codes for the same button on the original remote. So I just had to teach the Harmony remote the new commands (about 10 commands) & it works great now.

BTW...the relay clicks are about 1/2 as loud as my old Denon 2106. Not really that noticeable so I would not let that influence your decision.
post #409 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

What could be the reason to blow subs ?

Did you increase the iPod volume to the highest level?

If so and still no sound then there's a problem with the subwoofer. Possible a bad sub amplifier or driver or wire(s) is not securely connected from sub amp to driver. In either case just return and get an exchange since its only a few days old.
post #410 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Did you increase the iPod volume to the highest level?

If so and still no sound then there's a problem with the subwoofer. Possible a bad sub amplifier or driver or wire(s) is not securely connected from sub amp to driver. In either case just return and get an exchange since its only a few days old.

ya checked with max volume . will call dealer tomorrow .

Thanks to all for your time and inputs.
post #411 of 3864 Old 05-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge M View Post

Yep, still clicks every time it goes from stereo to surround or vice-versa. Although I must say, the NR609's clicks aren't as loud as those of the ~10-year-old Onkyo it's replacing.

Too bad, I was going to recommend this unit to a family member, I have a 5508 and I don't like the clicks but live with them, I don't think they would live with them though.
post #412 of 3864 Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Looks like they still need to work on the network stack. I'm having issues with the network dying and having to pull the power cord.
post #413 of 3864 Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne
Looks like they still need to work on the network stack. I'm having issues with the network dying and having to pull the power cord.
I have not experienced this yet with my 609 & have been using Pandora & DLNA pretty heavily. Under what conditions are you seeing the lock-ups? Just curious.
post #414 of 3864 Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

If you're having issue's with your local network-Please check with your network administrator -"Microsoft"
post #415 of 3864 Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 AM

What audio setting (THX, Dolby, etc) do you guys think sounds the best when watching regular TV? Do you switch to a different setting for sports? What about for BluRay?
post #416 of 3864 Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBoy View Post
What audio setting (THX, Dolby, etc) do you guys think sounds the best when watching regular TV? Do you switch to a different setting for sports? What about for BluRay?
U-verse box = outputs in Dolby Digital most of the time.

U-verse when it doesn't output Dolby I use = THX or TV Logic

PS3(brick style) Blu-rays = THX

Which preset do you guys use for gaming? Anyone?
post #417 of 3864 Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 AM

I am considering getting a TX-NR509. One of its attractions to me is that it bills itself as a network receiver that lets one listen to Internet stations.
I am trying hard to picture how I would actually tune in an Internet station. The online manual simply says:

>>You can select Internet radio stations by connecting to the
AV receiver from your computer and selecting stations in
your web browser.<<

But what sort of PC "connection" is meant here? I have a Winodws 7 laptop, and I can listen to an Internet radio station with it, but how do I get the station's URL to NR-509?
Could someone here please throw some light on the subject?

Best regards, and TIA!
post #418 of 3864 Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 AM

Ambala, you need to either have a hardwired ethernet connection or a USB wi-fi adapter. I just purchased the TX-NR509. I haven't received it yet but bought it because of the same reasons plus the USB port for iPod/iPhone playback.

I'm assuming their are apps via the on-screen GUI to allow you to select which internet radio you would like to listen to. I could be wrong as I am new to receivers.
post #419 of 3864 Old 05-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy-2 View Post

I have not experienced this yet with my 609 & have been using Pandora & DLNA pretty heavily. Under what conditions are you seeing the lock-ups? Just curious.

It's not that. It's via connection by a network control application. Think of Onkyo's iPhone app, or the one I developed. After a matter of hours, the AVR stopped responding to network requests. It otherwise works normally. As long as Pandora stops those occasional 5 second hiccups in Pandora.

This is with the latest firmware. I'm sure it will eventually get fixed. Onkyo at least has been quite good at fixing problems via firmware.
post #420 of 3864 Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

It's not that. It's via connection by a network control application. Think of Onkyo's iPhone app, or the one I developed. After a matter of hours, the AVR stopped responding to network requests. It otherwise works normally. As long as Pandora stops those occasional 5 second hiccups in Pandora.

This is with the latest firmware. I'm sure it will eventually get fixed. Onkyo at least has been quite good at fixing problems via firmware.

Thanks for the clarification. I have noticed that the Onkyo & your iPhone app loses connection after a while. I just had to reboot the app to get it back. I have not experienced it quite as bad as you have, but you have been using it much more than me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page