Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 3871 Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

It's not that. It's via connection by a network control application. Think of Onkyo's iPhone app, or the one I developed. After a matter of hours, the AVR stopped responding to network requests. It otherwise works normally. As long as Pandora stops those occasional 5 second hiccups in Pandora.

This is with the latest firmware. I'm sure it will eventually get fixed. Onkyo at least has been quite good at fixing problems via firmware.

The freee Android app Onkytroller causes hiccups. When I use it I just get Pandora playing and then close the app. The iPod app on my iPod Touch works great.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 3871 Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark07 View Post

Ambala, you need to either have a hardwired ethernet connection or a USB wi-fi adapter. I just purchased the TX-NR509. I haven't received it yet but bought it because of the same reasons plus the USB port for iPod/iPhone playback.

I'm assuming their are apps via the on-screen GUI to allow you to select which internet radio you would like to listen to. I could be wrong as I am new to receivers.

The 609 Net screen gives Pandora, Slacker, vTuner, DLNA and some I've not used. vTuner has about a bazillion radio stations from around the world. And locals for some areas. Most if not all the Houston stations are available. I have listened to Cool Blue from Auckland, NZ. and a few others around the world.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
post #423 of 3871 Old 05-24-2011, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy-2 View Post

I have my Harmony ONE working with my 609 without any problems. One thing I did need to do is learn the the function commands from the original remote. For instance, the NET function key command codes are different than the Receiver function command codes for the same button on the original remote. So I just had to teach the Harmony remote the new commands (about 10 commands) & it works great now.

BTW...the relay clicks are about 1/2 as loud as my old Denon 2106. Not really that noticeable so I would not let that influence your decision.

I have a Harmony 720 (yep, it's still working!) and started to play around with this but didn't get it where I want it for NET and USB. Did you reassign the arrow functions to "custom buttons" or how?

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #424 of 3871 Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I have a Harmony 720 (yep, it's still working!) and started to play around with this but didn't get it where I want it for NET and USB. Did you reassign the arrow functions to "custom buttons" or how?

NET and USB are new commands that are not on the 2010 models. What was NET is now "My Favorites" and the USB may just map to what once was USB Front.
post #425 of 3871 Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I am not as familiar with the Harmony 720, but this is what I did....

From the Harmony Remote software, I went to Devices tab & added the following commands to the graphical buttons (learned from the Onkyo remote)

Net Function (this will control USB-based commands also):
  • Up
  • Down
  • Left
  • Right
  • Enter
  • Play
  • Pause
  • Stop
  • Next
  • Back
  • Fast Forward
  • Rewind

Zone 2 Function:
  • Volume up
  • Volume down
  • Tuner
  • USB
  • Net

I then added the buttons into the appropriate activity. It takes a few minutes, but works like a charm. Now I am waiting for the latest updates to the ORemote iPhone app so I can control Zone 2 while upstairs & get rid of my IR extenders.
post #426 of 3871 Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

I then added the buttons into the appropriate activity. It takes a few minutes, but works like a charm.

Ahh, now I see what approach you took. Cool, thanks!

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #427 of 3871 Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks for your post Mark.

As far as TX-NR509's network connection is concerned, I have a free Ethernet port for its hookup, so I'm all set there.

You say: "I'm assuming their are apps via the on-screen GUI to allow you to select which internet radio you would like to listen to."
That's exactly what I'd have guessed. What confused me is blurb out of the manual that I quoted. It would be VERY interesting to hear from you about how you go about selecting your favorite Internet stations, and then using the preset buttons for easy retieval from that point on.

Best of luck!
post #428 of 3871 Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambala View Post

Thanks for your post Mark.

As far as TX-NR509's network connection is concerned, I have a free Ethernet port for its hookup, so I'm all set there.

You say: "I'm assuming their are apps via the on-screen GUI to allow you to select which internet radio you would like to listen to."
That's exactly what I'd have guessed. What confused me is blurb out of the manual that I quoted. It would be VERY interesting to hear from you about how you go about selecting your favorite Internet stations, and then using the preset buttons for easy retieval from that point on.

Best of luck!

It depends on what you do. For sources, use the arrow buttons and enter to select it. To search, you need a keyboard, or you use the onscreen keyboard on the TV and the arrow buttons to select the letters. You also use the keyboard to enter the login/password for Pandora and other services.

My app will allow all these methods, without being in front of the TV. I'm sure Onkyo's does so in a similar fashion as well, I've seen the login screen on the Onkyo App, but haven't tried the search yet.
post #429 of 3871 Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a 5.1 setup with the Pioneer Andrew Jones set. I ran the auto setup and the receiver set all the crossovers to 40hz. I found this unusual since Pioneer says 100hz.

Any thoughts? I manually changed them to 100hz for now.
post #430 of 3871 Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I have my Harmony ONE working with my 609 without any problems. One thing I did need to do is learn the the function commands from the original remote. For instance, the NET function key command codes are different than the Receiver function command codes for the same button on the original remote. So I just had to teach the Harmony remote the new commands (about 10 commands) & it works great now.

BTW...the relay clicks are about 1/2 as loud as my old Denon 2106. Not really that noticeable so I would not let that influence your decision.

Great, thanks. Went ahead and ordered one, and an F12 sub.
post #431 of 3871 Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Hi All,

I've been enjoying my new 609 for a couple of weeks now. All of a sudden, this morning, my HDMI out is not sending a video signal to my TV. I have no idea what happened but worry that my receiver is 'broke' :-(

I hear my cable tv or apple tv thru the receiver but cannot get a visual on my tv. If i wire directly from cable box or apple tv to the TV, all is good. I've tried changing the cable too.

Is it possible that one of my kids hit some button on the receive to stop the video from being sent to the tv? Otherwise I guess my receiver is malfunctioning? - bummer....

Thanks for any advice.
LAR
post #432 of 3871 Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
same thing happened to me - I just unplugged the unit and its been fine ever since
post #433 of 3871 Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post
same thing happened to me - I just unplugged the unit and its been fine ever since
Same thing happened to me too. I did a factory reset which solved the problem. I imagine unplugging would have fixed it as well but I was a bit panicked. Hasn't happened since.
post #434 of 3871 Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I am looking at the RC360 and the 609. The 360 does not have the thx certification and therefore, I am assuming that it does not have the "THX Cinema mode" as well. Is this mode something that you guys use a lot? Can you hear a big difference?
post #435 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 07:36 AM

And its magically back! No unplugging, just a power up.... I guess if unplugging consistently resolves then I'll be okay... But in a couple of months, I'd hate to be unable to return and see this problem becoming more frequent...
post #436 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Just got back from Fry's. The NR609 is currently on sale for $399.
post #437 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM

If you have a choice between TX-NR609, RX-V667 (Yamaha) or Rx-V671 (Yamaha, not out yet). Which one do you choose and why.
post #438 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Some of the specs look better on the RX-V667 but I don't see anything about networking for Pandora. That is a deal breaker for me so I guess it depends on what is important to you. I sure wish I hadn't read all these horror stories about the Onkyos. I don't want to unplug it every time it goes bad or live with certain features not working properly. I have a Sony that is 15 years old and never had a single issue with it.
post #439 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

One of the features the 709 has is an IR input.

Would that be something one could take advantage of in an HTPC setup? Or, is just getting something like a Harmony One sufficient?

Just trying to think if I really really need to spend an extra few hundred bucks.

Oh, also, is the MultiEQ XT worth it over the EQ2? This will be in a family room and mostly to just have better audio than the crappy speakers in the Panny plasma but this might likely make it upstairs to a one-day-hopefully-soon dedicated home theater room.
post #440 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Hi!

Just bought 609 Onkyo reciver. I had some problem with firmware updates but after a while it worked. I used the Onkyo USB wifi-key (sold separatly). The problem is that the remote controller doesnt work or partly doesnt work. Everything seems to work except the navigation keys, setup, home, return, enter etc...

I have checked batteries, zone2, remote id. What could possibly be wrong? It worked the first day. I think this started when i failed with firmware downloads/install. But after i succeded everything except the remote control works.
post #441 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico90 View Post

Hi!

Just bought 609 Onkyo reciver. I had some problem with firmware updates but after a while it worked. I used the Onkyo USB wifi-key (sold separatly). The problem is that the remote controller doesnt work or partly doesnt work. Everything seems to work except the navigation keys, setup, home, return, enter etc...

I have checked batteries, zone2, remote id. What could possibly be wrong? It worked the first day. I think this started when i failed with firmware downloads/install. But after i succeded everything except the remote control works.

Just be sure you have selected the receiver (button) on the remote- sometimes it doesn't know what source your trying to access.

A wired connection would be better for firmware updates.
post #442 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post

Just be sure you have selected the receiver (button) on the remote- sometimes it doesn't know what source your trying to access.

A wired connection would be better for firmware updates.

Thanks for the reply. I actually managed to get it to work. Your suggestion worked but in a strange way. If i chose input BD/DVD and then press "setup" it doesnt work. But if i press "reciver" and then "setup" it works. If i then change input to example GAME and press "setup", it doesnt work, pressing "reciver" makes it work. (same as BD/DVD). When reciver is pressed every button works that didnt work before.

It seems it adjust it to defaultmode that is not "reciver" when i switch inputs between CBL/SAT, GAME, BD/DVD etc....
post #443 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambavi View Post

If you have a choice between TX-NR609, RX-V667 (Yamaha) or Rx-V671 (Yamaha, not out yet). Which one do you choose and why.

I'm in a similar contemplative state.

Onkyo TX-NR709 or TX-NR609...or Yamaha RX-V671
post #444 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 PM

I just picked up a TX-NR609 from Frys for $399+tax. The sales guy tried to sell me an open box TX-NR808 for around $700. It is listed as $999.99 on their website. I just picked up the 609 that i went to pick up. Is 808 worth the price?

I am going to be hooking up Klipsch RF-52II Fronts/RC-52II Center/RS-52II surrounds with PA-120 powered sub woofer.
post #445 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else noticed this issue. When running a video signal, using through mode from any source, it turns the blacks in the picture a deep purple or red. When I switch to custom or direct the blacks are back to normal.

I don't want to use direct because it doesn't upconvert the signal. So I am using custom. I wanted to use through to keep my TV's calibration settings.
post #446 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico90 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I actually managed to get it to work. Your suggestion worked but in a strange way. If i chose input BD/DVD and then press "setup" it doesnt work. But if i press "reciver" and then "setup" it works. If i then change input to example GAME and press "setup", it doesnt work, pressing "reciver" makes it work. (same as BD/DVD). When reciver is pressed every button works that didnt work before.

It seems it adjust it to defaultmode that is not "reciver" when i switch inputs between CBL/SAT, GAME, BD/DVD etc....

That is because the setup key maps to the setup of your input device's remote. "Receiver" just tells the AVR you want to control it and not some other device.
post #447 of 3871 Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaveshr View Post

I just picked up a TX-NR609 from Frys for $399+tax.

Funny. When I wanted them to price match Vann's, they refused saying $399 is below their cost and I made them eat a return for it. Now they are selling them for the very same price.
post #448 of 3871 Old 05-28-2011, 04:44 AM

Liked: 11
Where is the 609 at on fry's, I don't don't see it listed?
post #449 of 3871 Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal01 View Post

Where is the 609 at on fry's, I don't don't see it listed?

The list price on frys.com is $599. Someone posted the price earlier on this thread and I called my local Frys, they confirmed it was $399. I went in the store, found it in the listening area and it did have price tag of $399.
post #450 of 3871 Old 05-28-2011, 05:50 AM

I am still wondering if the TX-NR808 open box at $700 worth the price? It comes with all the parts and 3 yr mfg warranty
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page