Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3874 Old 06-03-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the update solve the issue with purplish blacks in through mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3874 Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid View Post

I got the same "Error!! 5-64" on my Fry's special HT-RC360. The error was displayed almost the instant I started downloading the update. The previous firmware update worked fine a week or two ago. Pulling the power cord and plugging it back in at least got the receiver working again.

I tried again and the firmware update worked! Maybe error 5-64 means "server busy". :P The only thing I did differently was switch to an unused input (blu-ray) before doing the update.
post #543 of 3874 Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote by me ,

hi all , i just upgraded from my txsr-803 to this TX-NR609 , i am really likeing it alot , just have 2 questions.

#1 listening modes how do you cycle through them all ?, all i see is movie/tv , musc, game , thx , if i keep pressing each button it cycles some of them but i dont think its showing all of the modes in there.

#2 on my 803 it had a temporary speaker volues where i could turn up and down the speaker levels , but it would not save the settings , it would reset them back to defaults that are stored in the osd settings when i powered off the unit, i found this verry handy, does the TX-NR609 do this as well ?

thanks agian !

anyone able to help me out with these 2 questions , would really appreciate it , like to finish getting my settings done up

thanks !
post #544 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 04:11 AM

Hey guys, registered just to share a pretty good price on the 609. You all have been a great help deciding on a receiver! Too bad I couldn't get in on the Vann's deal but a place called shopbroadline.com has it for $409. I've never heard of them before (I usually use Newegg or Amazon) but I went ahead and ordered. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Looks like I can't post a link yet but you can google shopbroadline
post #545 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid View Post

I tried again and the firmware update worked! Maybe error 5-64 means "server busy". :P The only thing I did differently was switch to an unused input (blu-ray) before doing the update.

What Does that mean??
post #546 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post

#1 listening modes how do you cycle through them all ?, all i see is movie/tv , musc, game , thx , if i keep pressing each button it cycles some of them but i dont think its showing all of the modes in there.

This is the only way I know of to change listening modes, and in my case it cycles through all of them (or at least the ones I care about). It might be that the source or format you are listening to doesn't support certain modes and therefore they're not shown.

Quote:

#2 on my 803 it had a temporary speaker volues where i could turn up and down the speaker levels , but it would not save the settings , it would reset them back to defaults that are stored in the osd settings when i powered off the unit, i found this verry handy, does the TX-NR609 do this as well ?

The 609 will do this, but I haven't found a way to do it with its own remote. I used the remote from my old Onkyo that had dedicated buttons for this and the 609 behaved as you describe.

I agree that it can come in handy. One solution would be teaching those old commands to a learning remote along with the new commands.
post #547 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post

What Does that mean??

I think he switched to the blueray input which has nothing plugged into it.
post #548 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

I think he switched to the blueray input which has nothing plugged into it.

That is correct. I also turned around three times and petted the cat, but I didn't want to mention that.
post #549 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Ran setup thru hdmi input all the way to >enter<<br />
Changed input to (aux) Or any slection of an unused port on your Onkyo went to Receiver Location (closet) and pressed enter --Dowloaded and updated to current load 5102

Thanks for the suggestion.
post #550 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM

I'm still curious what 5-64 means, why some of us got it on this update and not previous updates and will it happen again to these same receivers. Since Amazon will have my 3rd 609 here Monday I think I'll wait.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
post #551 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myron243 View Post

I'm still curious what 5-64 means, why some of us got it on this update and not previous updates and will it happen again to these same receivers. Since Amazon will have my 3rd 609 here Monday I think I'll wait.

I still have Ticket open with Onkyo-If I find out I'll post it Here, Sorry you got bad advice from Onkyo-but after talking with them I can understand why you got the mis-information.
post #552 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge M View Post

This is the only way I know of to change listening modes, and in my case it cycles through all of them (or at least the ones I care about). It might be that the source or format you are listening to doesn't support certain modes and therefore they're not shown.

The 609 will do this, but I haven't found a way to do it with its own remote. I used the remote from my old Onkyo that had dedicated buttons for this and the 609 behaved as you describe.

I agree that it can come in handy. One solution would be teaching those old commands to a learning remote along with the new commands.

ya that would have worked but stupid me i sold my old reciever already , arugg , i have the harmony 1100 touch screen remote with my old amd and them buttons programed into it , but not sure i can save them and add then to the new reciever
post #553 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:

ya that would have worked but stupid me i sold my old reciever already , arugg , i have the harmony 1100 touch screen remote with my old amd and them buttons programed into it , but not sure i can save them and add then to the new reciever

You don't happen to have another learning remote around the house? A trick I do with my Harmony ONE is to learn the command to another remote, then learn the command back to my Harmony ONE under a different device.

Another option would be to program the remote using Logitech's Hex editor web site. You need to know the Hex code (look @ remotecentral's web site) & it is a pain to program the remote. I had to do that with my Sony TV last year since Logitech did not provide unique HDMI inputs when the TV came out (took them 3+ months to add them).

Good Luck!
post #554 of 3874 Old 06-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ok, I've had the 509 now for 24 hrs and haven't had a lot of time to play with, but having previously a 308 for a few years, I thought getting this puppy to output to Master Audio via HDMI would be a snap. I got a Panny GT25 ARC connection piped-into HDMI out of the NR509. HDMI - RIHD set to On and HDMI through to Auto and Audio Return to Auto.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
post #555 of 3874 Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Hhgregg now has it at $399.00 plus 5% more off if you use the hhgregg card. If you purchased it at a higher price they will refund the difference.
post #556 of 3874 Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I found some serious bugs in the network protocol - just a heads up if anyone is using a recent build of my App for the 2011 models.

Onkyo has some serious bugs in the protocol for Zone 2 that causes the network stack to crash if you do crazy things like query the status of whatever it is you are streaming.
post #557 of 3874 Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chdwil View Post
Hhgregg now has it at $399.00 plus 5% more off if you use the hhgregg card. If you purchased it at a higher price they will refund the difference.
Dude, that is awesome. Thanks for the heads up! My experience with Fry's last week left a pretty bad taste in my mouth, but I knew I would find another deal on it eventually. My dad's birthday is at the end of the month, but there is no telling if I will get another deal like this, so I am going to snag one today. I called the store down the street from me, and they have one left (which they are now holding for me).
Thanks again!
post #558 of 3874 Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM

i have a samsung led 6000 tv and the nr6000 reciever , when useing the arc (audio return) through hdmi , do you have to have samsungs anynet on ?

this is the only way i can get it to work if i have anynet on and the reciever option off , it works but when you hit the volume it turns on reciever option , i only want to get rid of the anynet banner/icon from the sammy's osd . it gets anoying at times.
post #559 of 3874 Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelshiv View Post

Dude, that is awesome. Thanks for the heads up! My experience with Fry's last week left a pretty bad taste in my mouth, but I knew I would find another deal on it eventually. My dad's birthday is at the end of the month, but there is no telling if I will get another deal like this, so I am going to snag one today. I called the store down the street from me, and they have one left (which they are now holding for me).
Thanks again!

I have always had great service at HHGregg. I always shop for the best price, so when I can get it at a place like HHGregg it's even better. For $380.00 you can't go wrong.
post #560 of 3874 Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM

Have an audio issue seeing if anyone can help me out

My setup

U-verse box(hdmi) > Onkyo 609

U-verse box is set to digital surround and as long as the program playing is in Dolby Digital I have no problems.

When the program is not Dolby Digital the receiver displays "THX" and the sound cuts out every 10-20 seconds intermittently.

I have found a way to fix this by switching the audio output to "stereo" through the U-verse box. Gets kind of annoying after a while.

Anyone have any suggestions for my situation?
post #561 of 3874 Old 06-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is anyone else experiencing this? I updated the unit's (NR509) firmware last night without issue, but noticed a lot of popping noise after the update while listening to the IPOD via USB. I tried listening to both a Blu ray disk and then a CD and never heard it from either source.

Thanks,

G.
post #562 of 3874 Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM

Hi everyone,
I just picked up the TD deal on NR509 + Jamo speakers. I am a total newb to HT. Could someone help me and and link me to what else I would need to get this up and running?
I've been reading speaker wires/banana plugs/etc and to get them on monoprice. But are there specific ones I need for this setup?

The site just seems to have so many choices. I only have TV + PS3 with hdmi right now.

TIA!
post #563 of 3874 Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I like these banana plugs - no soldering, nice clean line with no wire sticking out.
Monoprice Item 2801 They plug in easily to the 609. Depending on your speakers, they could be used on them as well. For wire, I like the cl2 rated white jacket 16ga or 14ga. You could also go for the non cl2 - which is a clear jacket with no outer sleeve.

Added a few pics - ignore the spaghetti - still rearranging things

The gold pins are monoprice - the black ones are dayton audio but you can see how the wire is visable where its not in the monoprice plugs. Just my opinion - your mileage will vary
LL
LL
LL
post #564 of 3874 Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballz71 View Post

Have an audio issue seeing if anyone can help me out

My setup

U-verse box(hdmi) > Onkyo 609

U-verse box is set to digital surround and as long as the program playing is in Dolby Digital I have no problems.

When the program is not Dolby Digital the receiver displays "THX" and the sound cuts out every 10-20 seconds intermittently.

I have found a way to fix this by switching the audio output to "stereo" through the U-verse box. Gets kind of annoying after a while.

Anyone have any suggestions for my situation?

Try a different u-verse box.
post #565 of 3874 Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

I like these banana plugs - no soldering, nice clean line with no wire sticking out.
Monoprice Item 2801 They plug in easily to the 609. Depending on your speakers, they could be used on them as well. For wire, I like the cl2 rated white jacket 16ga or 14ga. You could also go for the non cl2 - which is a clear jacket with no outer sleeve.

Added a few pics - ignore the spaghetti - still rearranging things

The gold pins are monoprice - the black ones are dayton audio but you can see how the wire is visable where its not in the monoprice plugs. Just my opinion - your mileage will vary

Used the same monoprice banana plugs and they are awesome.
post #566 of 3874 Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:

Well, the replacement got here. The replacement is going back.

The on screen display doesn't work. When I first selected Set Up it did but then it hung. I tried turning it off. Then I tried unplugging. Then I tried Factory Reset. It won't even come on now even though in the receiver's screen it indicates OSD: On. Then I called Amazon. They're sending another one tonight.

The replacement for the replacement came yesterday. It updated to 5102 without a problem.

I'm still curious about what causes the error code 5-64.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
post #567 of 3874 Old 06-08-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:

The replacement for the replacement came yesterday. It updated to 5102 without a problem.

I'm still curious about what causes the error code 5-64.

I'm glad you got your receiver replaced- I've heard anything from Onkyo, I was able to get to 5102 before pressing enter to update-I switched the input from Cable to a unused port (aux) and it updated without error. I willrespond back if I hear anything about the error code.
post #568 of 3874 Old 06-08-2011, 12:16 PM

I had an iPhone 3GS plugged in over USB to a new '309 several times over the first few days and was really enjoying it.

Then, while I was in a hurry one day I unplugged it while playback was paused, and the AVR was turned on with the USB input selected.

It doesn't quite make sense to me, but that appears to have glitched something--because now I can't get *any* Apple USB device recognized (tried: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 4th gen. each with three different cables that worked fine with iTunes on several PCs)

Any suggestions besides e-mailing Onkyo (already done) and contacting Amazon (next step)???
post #569 of 3874 Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNWDI View Post

I had an iPhone 3GS plugged in over USB to a new '309 several times over the first few days and was really enjoying it.

Then, while I was in a hurry one day I unplugged it while playback was paused, and the AVR was turned on with the USB input selected.

It doesn't quite make sense to me, but that appears to have glitched something--because now I can't get *any* Apple USB device recognized (tried: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 4th gen. each with three different cables that worked fine with iTunes on several PCs)

Any suggestions besides e-mailing Onkyo (already done) and contacting Amazon (next step)???

Have you tried (unplugging the a/c cable from the onkyo (for about 5 min) then plug it back in and test?
post #570 of 3874 Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Sorry, I should have specified. I've tried removing power entirely (pull plug overnight) and I've tried rebooting the iPhones...and several other troubleshooting steps. Nothing has caused any change--it's as though the AVR is "wedged" somehow. This low-end model also has no firmware update capability AFAICT, and I saw nothing in the menus that gives me much hope of a "clear all and reset to factory" solution.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page