Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3914 Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I saw these three models at Fry's yesterday. They are really going to shake up the market for entry-level network enabled AVRs, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3914 Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Liked: 10
The new denon avr-1912 will have network connection as well as apple airplay... I was considering the onkyo but with the multeq as well as airplay I think the Denon is the better receiver.
post #33 of 3914 Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadorp View Post

I really hope that's not true on 609. Who uses analog sources these days?

Can anyone confirm if the Network Audio (Pandora, Internet radio, iTunes, etc) will work out of zone 2 outputs? Thats what I really need, and if it doesnt work, that may be a deal killer.
post #34 of 3914 Old 04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

I saw these three models at Fry's yesterday. They are really going to shake up the market for entry-level network enabled AVRs, that's for sure.

How was the pricing compared to Amazon?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #35 of 3914 Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM

doing a firmware upgrade now it's been at it for the past 30 minutes, will post some pictures later...
post #36 of 3914 Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

How was the pricing compared to Amazon?

I got mine at Frys for $499 + tax = $535. I see that Amazon is $499 with free shipping.
post #37 of 3914 Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

I don't seem to be able to use HDMI pass through on the NR609 when the receiver is turned off. Anyone have any success on this? Does it support it at all? Nothing in the user manual on this either.
post #38 of 3914 Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoz View Post

I don't seem to be able to use HDMI pass through on the NR609 when the receiver is turned off. Anyone have any success on this? Does it support it at all? Nothing in the user manual on this either.

Have you tried to use the options found in the 608 thread? Also, remember that the input has to be set to the correct one before you put it into standby (atleast this is the way it used to work).
post #39 of 3914 Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM

I went ahead and took the plunge. As soon as our first shipment from Onkyo came in (I work for AVAD), I decided to take one home.

I had been eyeing the Marantz SR-7005 for a while, but even at my price, it was a little out of my budget. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Onkyo TX-NR609 offered most of the same features (DLNA, Internet Radio, IP control) of the Marantz at a far lower price.

The unit was well packaged, with a good amount of styrofoam to protect it from UPS drivers and the occasional drop kick. The manual, remote, calibration mic, batteries and other accessories were neatly packed, and unboxing took just a couple minutes. Unfortunately, after removing the outer wrap, my brother's ferret (otherwise known as the "Horrible Long-rat") decided to abscond with my calibration mic...I still havent found where he stuffed it! (sigh!)

I was replacing an old Denon AVR-1707. Since that AVR only had component video, I was running my cable DVR, XBOX and Playstation HDMI to my TV set, with separate audio connections for the DVR and the PS3 (the XBOX doesnt let you plug in a separate toslink and HDMI at the same time unless you buy their kit...I was running its audio through the TV, and consequently, limited to 2 channel audio).

Since all of my connections are HDMI, it only took me a few minutes to hook up my sources, plug in my subwoofer, connect my speakers (Martin Logan Motion 12 towers, with Motion 8 Center and Motion 4s in the rear), and I was off to the races!

The on screen setup was quite intuitive, and after setting up its networking, I immediately downloaded and applied the latest firmware. The download itself was rather quick, but writing to flash memory took FOREVER. Be prepared to spend 30 minutes or so looking at a progress meter when you update.

After the update, I configured the speakers manually, set up my sources, and verified that everything worked. Except for the firmware update, the entire process took about 20 minutes start to finish.

While I didn't spend a lot of time listening last night, I did play with it for a bit with a variety of sources. First on the list, fire up the XBox for some Crysis 2! After listening to the game for months in ProLogic II, moving up to Dolby Digital was a revelation! I noticed the difference instantly, and after playing a quick game, am now convinced that good surround sound is not just a luxury, it is ESSENTIAL for multiplayer (you can really hear the bastards sneak up on you!)

After that, I moved to the PS3 and punched up "Wipeout HD". This game really demands a good system with killer 5.1 audio tracks and some very dynamic sound effects. Again, I was simply blown away at how much better this sounded than my old Denon. Much more punch in the bottom end and the mid and upper frequencies sounded much smoother and less strained.

I then played a few music tracks randomly and at various volume levels to confirm what I was hearing in the games...bottom line...this amp has some cajones! There is plenty of power here for just about anyone's system.

I hooked up a Seagate 500GB hard drive to the USB port up front, and the navigation and playback from this works flawlessly. It had no problem recognizing the drive and letting me navigate to my music folder, selecting a song and playing it. It was plenty responsive and didnt seem as sluggish as my friend's Denon AVR-3808 when browsing a large collection. Likewise, Pandora internet radio is well implemented. It only took me a minute to punch in my username and password. Sound quality from Pandora (free account) was quite good. I can't wait to properly calibrate the unit so I can use their MP3 enhancement processing (it doesnt work unless Audissey is on).

Most importantly to me, I found that the Network audio, including USB audio and Internet Radio, works fine through the zone 2 pre-outs! I re-purposed my old Denon to run a pair of bookshelf speakers (that were collecting dust) in my bedroom. I used Atlantic Technology's new WA-50 wireless audio system, plugging the zone 2 out into the transmitter, and plugging the output from the receive unit into the "CD" input on my Denon in the bedroom. ZERO setup needed, plug it in, it works! (and it sounds damn good too! I was VERY skeptical of any wireless audio product, but this one actually works and actually SOUNDS GOOD!).

My only complaint? Onkyo only makes an app for Apple's crappy products, no Android app yet. There is an unauthorized app...I paid the $4 for it, but while it does work, its incredibly clunky and browsing music off my hard drive doesnt work properly. It DOES display cover art and metadata though. Hopefully, either Onkyo will get with the program and release an OFFICIAL Android app, or the guy working on his unauthorized app will polish it up a little.

All in all, I am VERY happy with my purchase, and I think I will have this in my system for quite some time! Highly recommended!
post #40 of 3914 Old 04-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:

It works fine for me. I did have to go into the settings and tell it which source I wanted it to pass through (cable box). Tested and it works great!
post #41 of 3914 Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 PM

What I really like about 609 is the audyssey dsx - so much better in movies and games than PL IIz. With PL the front heights are almost non existent, while dsx is helping a lot. I am not sure whether this is a PL problem or onkyo's implementation of PL or just my content.

But for me dsx is consistently so much better. That is the main reason I chose 609 over denon 1911.
post #42 of 3914 Old 04-07-2011, 10:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_nemesh View Post
It works fine for me. I did have to go into the settings and tell it which source I wanted it to pass through (cable box). Tested and it works great!
I was able to get the video to pass through , but not all of the sound, I hear the background sound but not the dialog. Connections are via HDMI.
post #43 of 3914 Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Have you tried to use the options found in the 608 thread? Also, remember that the input has to be set to the correct one before you put it into standby (atleast this is the way it used to work).
The HDMI through was not turned on by default. I had to go into Hardware Setup and turn on "HDMI Control" which also sets "Audio Tv Out" to auto and "HDMI Through" to on.
post #44 of 3914 Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The HDMI through was not turned on by default. I had to go into Hardware Setup and turn on "HDMI Control" which also sets "Audio Tv Out" to auto and "HDMI Through" to on.

Well, I have the video but no sound, I was mistaken about thinking that I had some sound. The section of set-up is 7.3 HDMI. HDMI Control(RIHD) is set to OFF. HEDI Through is on AUTO. Audio TV OUT is set to ON. That's it.
post #45 of 3914 Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM

Got it at Amazon for about $250.

Some problems thus far. ANNOYING lag in audio when using fast forward on my TIVO HD and then resuming to normal speed. It's sometimes as long as 2 seconds.

For some reason, when the TIVO is left on pause with a show and the Amp is turned off it causes a WHOLE BUNCH of audio garbage when we return from going out and turn the amp back on. The Garbage sound is independent of audio control and only goes away when I choose LiveTV on the TIVO HD remote, then it takes about 10 seconds to go away.

Secondly, I've found that if I turn off my Blue-Ray player before turning inputs back to the TIVO HDMI input (the BD player is HDMI as well) it does NOT switch back to an active HDMI source but rather gives control back to the TV which in my case then proceeds to change the input to the over the air input (no signal since I don't have that hooked up). I suppose the correct procedure is to change input to the TIVO HD BEFORE turning the BD player off, but that seems counterintuitive.

and...Lastly.....at the end of watching shows that are pre-recorded off of the TIVO HD, just before the end of the show (end of the actual video file on the TIVO) there is a brief 1.5 second VERY high frequency sound (almost beyond perceptible range) that is loud. My wife has to put her fingers in her ears and it wakes my cat.

Very annoying.

Other than the two issues above the unit works as advertised. I have to say though, the top two glitches piss me off royally. To pay $250 bucks and have to deal with that is inexcusable.
post #46 of 3914 Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug0915 View Post

Lastly, I've found that if I turn off my Blue-Ray player before turning inputs back to the TIVO HDMI input (the BD player is HDMI as well) it does NOT switch back to an active HDMI source but rather gives control back to the TV which in my case then proceeds to change the input to the over the air input (no signal since I don't have that hooked up). I suppose the correct procedure is to change input to the TIVO HD BEFORE turning the BD player off, but that seems counterintuitive.

Hi Doug0915, possible tv HDMI-CEC feature is turned on. If so try turning it to off.
post #47 of 3914 Old 04-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Doug0915, possible tv HDMI-CEC feature is turned on. If so try turning it to off.

thanks. I'll give that a try
post #48 of 3914 Old 04-09-2011, 02:09 AM

I am considering buying the Onkyo 509, so I would like to ask you some for some further info that I could not find in the operational manual:
I am interested in listening the music through the DLNA or USB. I would like to ask whether it is possible to operate this device (I mean browse folders, choose music file) without the necessity to turn on my TV - just by the two line display on its front panel. If so, what is displayed on it, are both lines utilized?
My second question may be quite difficult: As media server I would like to use the Popcorn Hour A210. According its description it is able to work as UPnP AV Server, but it does not specify whether it is also DLNA compliant. What do you think, would they be able to cooperate together?

Thanks for your answers.
post #49 of 3914 Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got my 609 yetserday and ordered 2 10'HDMI cables from mono price for $15 including postage, I'm hooked up to a Directv Hr22 and 52" Sony Brava and all I can say is WOW!

The upscalling of the SD channels is GREAT!!! and The HD Picture which was great when connected from the hr22 staright to the sony - The HD Display is even richer.

Hooking it up to my lan was effortless- The sound is geart - I'm hooked to Bose speakers so I know they are no good and not worth the powder to blow them to He!! SO even though I like the sound they make so everyone here knows there no good.

What it does to improve the picture display the upscalling is the trick.

The 609 was worth the wait for me and the price point was $499 for what it does is spot on this day in age.

I replace a Tx-909 analog unit that I haven't used for video since 2005 upgraded to HD and connect straight to the TV used the 909 for audio only.

post #50 of 3914 Old 04-09-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.camillo View Post

I am considering buying the Onkyo 509, so I would like to ask you some for some further info that I could not find in the operational manual:
I am interested in listening the music through the DLNA or USB. I would like to ask whether it is possible to operate this device (I mean browse folders, choose music file) without the necessity to turn on my TV - just by the two line display on its front panel. If so, what is displayed on it, are both lines utilized?
My second question may be quite difficult: As media server I would like to use the Popcorn Hour A210. According its description it is able to work as UPnP AV Server, but it does not specify whether it is also DLNA compliant. What do you think, would they be able to cooperate together?

Thanks for your answers.

The 609 does- I would suggest you visit the onkyo web site and download the owners manual for the 509 and the 609 (PDF) and your questions will be answered within the book, The 609 hooked to the network with work with windows media player , usb , marked on the remote buttons as well.
post #51 of 3914 Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

How do you like the looks ? Is the volume level OSD still there ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post

I got my 609 yetserday and ordered 2 10'HDMI cables from mono price for $15 including postage, I'm hooked up to a Directv Hr22 and 52" Sony Brava and all I can say is WOW!

The upscalling of the SD channels is GREAT!!! and The HD Picture which was great when connected from the hr22 staright to the sony - The HD Display is even richer.

Hooking it up to my lan was effortless- The sound is geart - I'm hooked to Bose speakers so I know they are no good and not worth the powder to blow them to He!! SO even though I like the sound they make so everyone here knows there no good.

What it does to improve the picture display the upscalling is the trick.

The 609 was worth the wait for me and the price point was $499 for what it does is spot on this day in age.

I replace a Tx-909 analog unit that I haven't used for video since 2005 upgraded to HD and connect straight to the TV used the 909 for audio only.

post #52 of 3914 Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 AM

It looks just like the picture of the unit on the first post-Playing from media player 12 it displays album art and tract info- It interfaces with a web browser-No problem with volume control, I'm not sure what OSD is? I have no previous experience with any older versions of Onkyo expect for TXSV909PRO -I just replaced (purchased in 1993) So you can see why I have discovered no short commings of the 609 it just works easy PLUG and Play network setup (DCHP) firewall setiings on my network and media player 11 & 12 Settings were not to stressful.
LL
post #53 of 3914 Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 AM

Could you please upload a picture of the front side display of the receiver while playing from music from DLNA server? I'd like to know wheter it is possible to operate the device without the tv...
post #54 of 3914 Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Could you please upload a picture of the front side display of the receiver while playing from music from DLNA server? I'd like to know wheter it is possible to operate the device without the tv...

The uploaded picture (note) the text displayed at the bottom of the picture. That text is what is scrolling on the front of the receiver.

Reading the Owners manual it can be controlled by the Ipod interface (without a TV display), (i Don't do Ipod) So far I can connect from the PC to the receiver (through) windows 7 media player-only from the receiver to the media server.

I can connect to the receiver using a browser (typing the ipaddress) and save web address to a Favorite file - example web base Radio stations.

Working from the receiver (net) button on the remote- I can then access the fav file aned go out to the internet - Of course I'm using the TV as a monitor to do this.

Hope that helps- I suggest you download the .pdf owners manual for the Onkyo web site to compare models function and you may understand them more fully than I at this moment.
post #55 of 3914 Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Thank you,

I have already checked the operating manual - it says that I should be able to access music from media server by pressing Net button than by selecting the server and subsequently items that I wish to play. I just wanted to know, whether I can do it without the tv - the operating manual describes what is displayed on the tv, but it does not mention what is displayed on the front panel display.
If I understood you correctly - the display scrolls the title, so i guess i would be also able to choose the folder and the music file... That's all I needed to know... Thanks again..
post #56 of 3914 Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 PM

Does this the 609 have a fan in it like the 608, or have they gotten it cooler/quieter from the previous model? If it does have a fan, which side is it on, and how quiet/loud is it?
post #57 of 3914 Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Thank you,

I have already checked the operating manual - it says that I should be able to access music from media server by pressing Net button than by selecting the server and subsequently items that I wish to play. I just wanted to know, whether I can do it without the tv - the operating manual describes what is displayed on the tv, but it does not mention what is displayed on the front panel display.
If I understood you correctly - the display scrolls the title, so i guess i would be also able to choose the folder and the music file... That's all I needed to know... Thanks again..

Don pressing the NET button get you into the mainreceiver menu selecting (enter) FAV or DLNA will get you into the folder -Selecting DLNA gets you to your (PC) names Servers -then selecting how you wish to access -example album,artist,song title.

Yes, you can use it without the display (TV) is combersome at least for me.

The way I have been using it I select album scrol throug my music file --select one -- at it fires up playing when it goes through all the songs- it will advance to next folder - SO far I like that set it once and forget it.

those that may wish to use it without a TV dispaly-I will note this *** the ownwers manual states it's made for the IPOD & iPhone-So that would suggest to me if you are a apple head and wish to use this with or without your TV display the ipod or the iphone would work much better than the two line display. (I don't have any expereince with either so I'n Guessing--YMMV

The upscalling Chip in the 609 really Blows me away, it takes my Hr22 receiver 1080i and upscales it to 1080p the picture was clear before connected straight to the Sony Tv but running it thorugh the 609 it really imporoves (sharpens and deepens the color). I can only say you would have to see it to really appreciate it. I switched it back just to make sure I wasn't fooling myself.
LL
LL
post #58 of 3914 Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollismb View Post

Does this the 609 have a fan in it like the 608, or have they gotten it cooler/quieter from the previous model? If it does have a fan, which side is it on, and how quiet/loud is it?

The 609 doesn't have a fan so that makes it quiet and the heat is not really a factor, I can fell heat coming off of it but i have in a closet so ventilation is not an issue. I hope that helps
post #59 of 3914 Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Newegg's running a combo deal on the TX-NR509 and the Klipsch HD 500, and I just want them so bad... I have a 50" Panasonic Viera plasma and have never owned a receiver or set of speakers.

Can someone tell me, generally, if this is the right move? My price ceiling is right around $600, and I would be using it primarily to stream music and movies from my PC.
post #60 of 3914 Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

April 11th, 2011

OSAKA, JAPAN. Further cementing its position as a maker of world-class home theater equipment, Onkyo announces the release of the TX-NR709 network A/V receiver. Designed to drive home entertainment in mid-sized living rooms, this THX® Select2 Plus certified receiver incorporates a wide range of advanced processing and connectivity features.

Chief among the connections on the TX-NR709 are eight HDMI® inputs for handling high-definition sources such as Blu-ray Disc, and dual HDMI outputs that enable simultaneous linking of two separate displays. The HDMI implementation on this receiver supports lossless audio in the form of Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. HDMI support is also provided for 3D video, an Audio Return Channel, and video upscaling to 4K resolution in conjunction with Qdeo technology.

Connectivity on the TX-NR709 is further enhanced by a front-panel USB port that supports direct digital connection of iPod/iPhone and USB mass storage devices. The receiver also offers an extensive range of analog and digital inputsincluding S-Video and 7.1 analog multichannel inputsfor legacy components. A proprietary Universal Port enables users to connect Onkyo-branded peripheral devices.

Being a network-capable receiver, the TX-NR709 works as a conduit for PC audio and streaming internet radio. Users may now enjoy these digital sources with far superior levels of audio fidelity than can be produced by a typical PC.

During initial set-up of the TX-NR709, owners can take advantage of sophisticated Audyssey MultEQ® XT room-correction technology. After taking measurements from multiple locations in the entertainment space, this technology calibrates the soundfield to match the room's unique dimensions.

To fine-tune the listening experience, Onkyo provides a host of audio processing features: virtual surround, bass enhancement, and audio DSP modes for gaming. These are complemented by two more Audyssey technologies, Audyssey Dynamic EQ® and Audyssey Dynamic Volume®, which work to optimize the loudness and dynamic range of all audio sources.

With a sophisticated home theater centerpiece such as the TX-NR709, ease of use is essential. For this reason, Onkyo has developed an elegant graphical on-screen display and navigation GUI to simplify the process of browsing content and adjusting settings on the spot.

For the audiophile customer, the TX-NR709 offers plenty of scope for specialized applications. A dedicated phono input provides the optimal connection for turntables; bi-amping capability gives the option of boosting power performance; and 7.2 multichannel pre-outs open up the possibility of connecting a dedicated power amp.

With the release of the TX-NR709, Onkyo aims once more to set the standard for excellence in the competitive category of mid-range home theater.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page