Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3864 Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb788 View Post
What is the process for SiriusXM radio? If I subscribe to their internet radio, will I be able to simply input my login/PW and it will be up and running? Or will I have to register it as a new device and pay an additional monthly fee?
If it's like Pandora, you can use the same login/password without paying anything extra. When I logged into Pandora, my radio stations were there waiting for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3864 Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plottster View Post
I don't believe that's correct is it? The 609 does have SiriusXM on it. I haven't tried Sirius specifically yet but if it's like Pandora and the others, you just click on the logo and it will prompt you to either enter your login/password info or you can go to the website and set up an account and then login in and listen. I can't remember whether you can actually create an account right from the receiver or not though.
You can add a bookmark(Any Radio Station or site) online to your onkyo System using the onkyo website.
post #813 of 3864 Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post
You can add a bookmark(Any Radio Station or site) online to your onkyo System using the onkyo website.
Right. But it's not necessary to do so to use Sirius correct?
post #814 of 3864 Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plottster
If it's like Pandora, you can use the same login/password without paying anything extra. When I logged into Pandora, my radio stations were there waiting for me.
If you have Sirius, your regular subscription is only for your satellite radio. They charge an extra fee (pay again) to access the same content on the Internet ($4 or $5/mo IIRC). Some receivers have mini-DIN ports on the back that allow satellite radio add-on boxes. Yet these require no extra fees aside from the basic subscription cost.
post #815 of 3864 Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

If you have Sirius, your regular subscription is only for your satellite radio. They charge an extra fee (pay again) to access the same content on the Internet ($4 or $5/mo IIRC). Some receivers have mini-DIN ports on the back that allow satellite radio add-on boxes. Yet these require no extra fees aside from the basic subscription cost.

I knew there was a reason I liked Pandora better.
post #816 of 3864 Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 PM

I purchased an Onkyo HT RC360 (similar to TX NR609) at a very good price and installed it last weekend. I’ve downloaded the most recent firmware and all features seem to work as advertised. I am pleased with the machine with only two reservations. First there appears to be a slight lag in the sound (lip sync) when viewed on the monitor using pass-through and second the machine generates a great deal of heat even in stand-by. I’ve heard that Onkyo’s generate more heat than many popular receivers but I wasn’t prepared to see 101 degrees F in stand-by (~120 – 122 F at listening volume in 5.1). The receiver is mounted in the same difficult-to-ventilate home entertainment center as was my 10 year old Sony ES which ran at about the same temperature under load but was near ambient temperature in stand-by.

I have 3” USB powered fan in the cell above the fan but this does not seem to move much air or lower the temperature on stand-by and open the door to this cell and the adjacent door when using the receiver. This lowers the temperature to approximately 112 degrees F.

My questions to anyone that has input are: does this sound typical of Onkyo receivers (in stand-by) and do you think constant exposure to 100 + temperature will be harmful to the receiver?

The lip sync is so minor that I am living with it and hope future firmware updates will correct the small lag.
post #817 of 3864 Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpenguin View Post

I purchased an Onkyo HT RC360 (similar to TX NR609) at a very good price and installed it last weekend. I've downloaded the most recent firmware and all features seem to work as advertised. I am pleased with the machine with only two reservations. First there appears to be a slight lag in the sound (lip sync) when viewed on the monitor using pass-through and second the machine generates a great deal of heat even in stand-by. I've heard that Onkyo's generate more heat than many popular receivers but I wasn't prepared to see 101 degrees F in stand-by (~120 - 122 F at listening volume in 5.1). The receiver is mounted in the same difficult-to-ventilate home entertainment center as was my 10 year old Sony ES which ran at about the same temperature under load but was near ambient temperature in stand-by.

I have 3 USB powered fan in the cell above the fan but this does not seem to move much air or lower the temperature on stand-by and open the door to this cell and the adjacent door when using the receiver. This lowers the temperature to approximately 112 degrees F.

My questions to anyone that has input are: does this sound typical of Onkyo receivers (in stand-by) and do you think constant exposure to 100 + temperature will be harmful to the receiver?

The lip sync is so minor that I am living with it and hope future firmware updates will correct the small lag.

I just set up my 609 as well. I haven't tried it but somewhere in the setup menu you can adjust the lip sync. I forget which category it's in and I'm not in front of it right now. After reading ozbrit's earlier post, I got to wondering about the heat issue. I haven't checked the temp yet but this morning I could barely keep my hand on the top of the receiver it was so hot.

I'm a little concerned about the heat and the power consumption issues with this thing. I was aware of the heat before I bought it but didn't realize how much power it hogs until I saw ozbrit's post and did some Googling.
post #818 of 3864 Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myron243 View Post

The ethernet port on the 609 allows for quick and easy firmware upgrade. Usually But I use mine several hours a day for Pandora, Slacker, Spotify or some internet radio. That way, no other devices are required.

This post is directed at, (nodnarb788)
I have posted this on the wrong page, sorry!

The tx-nr609 is $409.77 (new)
on Amazon.com (as of-7-27-11) it could be less tomorrow,check Amazon everyday,because the price fluctuates all the time.

I feel that the tx-nr609 is your best bet,
It will give you all you want and need from a
receiver and more, the 609 is pretty much future proof !! except for not having preouts,but if that's not a feature you need, then it is no big deal!!
post #819 of 3864 Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just installed Airport Express and have it via Ethernet, piped into my 509. I didn't do as much research on purchasing the 509 as I should have, otherwise would have probably gone with the Pioneer or Denon receivers which have airport express already built in. All my music/mp3's that I've ripped to my desktop have used the lossless Apple codec in the pass 8 years. While I was able to stream some mp3's via WMP to the 509, it was at a lower bitrate.

I got the idea from this thread of buying the Airport Express and using that to solve my dilemma of converting my entire music collection back to a codec which WMP could play or re-ripping all my cd's. While not the least expensive way to do, it turned out being the easiest way for me to listen via iTunes. Everything just works! The only downfall, unfortunately, is the display panel doesn't show the song playing via AE as it did when streaming from WMP.

I gotta say that the sound coming from the speakers does sound excellent via toslink!

Thought I'd add my experience for a remedy for what could have been a regretful purchase.
post #820 of 3864 Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman777go View Post

This post is directed at, (nodnarb788)
I have posted this on the wrong page, sorry!

The tx-nr609 is $409.77 (new)
on Amazon.com (as of-7-27-11) it could be less tomorrow,check Amazon everyday,because the price fluctuates all the time.

I feel that the tx-nr609 is your best bet,
It will give you all you want and need from a
receiver and more, the 609 is pretty much future proof !! except for not having preouts,but if that's not a feature you need, then it is no big deal!!

Thanks for the info. Do you think the 609 is a big step up from the 360?
post #821 of 3864 Old 07-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Depends if you need the PC input and want the THX certification/sound modes. Other than that and the price difference, I believe they are identical.
post #822 of 3864 Old 07-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 View Post

! The only downfall, unfortunately, is the display panel doesn't show the song playing via AE as it did when streaming from WMP.

There is a 3rd party work-around for that issue, BTW. It depends on where your streaming source is coming from.
post #823 of 3864 Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug0915 View Post

Got it at Amazon for about $250.

Some problems thus far. ANNOYING lag in audio when using fast forward on my TIVO HD and then resuming to normal speed. It's sometimes as long as 2 seconds.

For some reason, when the TIVO is left on pause with a show and the Amp is turned off it causes a WHOLE BUNCH of audio garbage when we return from going out and turn the amp back on. The Garbage sound is independent of audio control and only goes away when I choose LiveTV on the TIVO HD remote, then it takes about 10 seconds to go away.

Secondly, I've found that if I turn off my Blue-Ray player before turning inputs back to the TIVO HDMI input (the BD player is HDMI as well) it does NOT switch back to an active HDMI source but rather gives control back to the TV which in my case then proceeds to change the input to the over the air input (no signal since I don't have that hooked up). I suppose the correct procedure is to change input to the TIVO HD BEFORE turning the BD player off, but that seems counterintuitive.

and...Lastly.....at the end of watching shows that are pre-recorded off of the TIVO HD, just before the end of the show (end of the actual video file on the TIVO) there is a brief 1.5 second VERY high frequency sound (almost beyond perceptible range) that is loud. My wife has to put her fingers in her ears and it wakes my cat.

Very annoying.

Other than the two issues above the unit works as advertised. I have to say though, the top two glitches piss me off royally. To pay $250 bucks and have to deal with that is inexcusable.

So that's with TIVO (not DircTV DVR?) Thanks! I would return it for that.
post #824 of 3864 Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 PM

Just a couple of simple questions. I have the 609 and not familiar with THX settings. I've tried it with a DD5.1 signal and think it enhances the sound so I've set it in the 609 as default for 5.1 movies. I find for movies I need a volume setting ~55 but when I add THX I have to crank up the volume to ~70 to get the same db of sound. Is this normal, if so, is their something I can or need to set in the menu to compensate?

I have the audyssey enabled how does this affect/interact with THX. Do the two technologies go hand in hand or should only one be activated at any one time?
post #825 of 3864 Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Has anyone been able to get the red/green/yellow/blue buttons on the 609 remote to work for DTV? The manual says they're supposed to function as colored buttons with a sat receiver but I can't get them to do it. I also find it hard to believe they didn't include a record button.
post #826 of 3864 Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
cant comment on the r/g/b/y buttons as I dont use the onkyo remote.. however I did figure out that older discrete codes do work - so you can have a dedicate on and off button for macros on a remote, not just a power cycler.
post #827 of 3864 Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

cant comment on the r/g/b/y buttons as I dont use the onkyo remote.. however I did figure out that older discrete codes do work - so you can have a dedicate on and off button for macros on a remote, not just a power cycler.

Thanks Jim. Unfortunately the Onkyo isn't a learning remote.
post #828 of 3864 Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Deciding between:

1. Onkyo Ht-RC360 $350 at Amazon
2. Onkyo tx-sr309 $200 at Amazon

3. Onkyo TX-NR509 $280 at Amazon

Two important features to me are 3D-Compatible and Audio-Return capable, which all three have. The cheapest (sr309) doesn't have an Ethernet port, but not sure if that's necessary, as other devices will be connected.

Thoughts?

Why not get the 609 for $350? http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Life is hard, be harder.
post #829 of 3864 Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

Why not get the 609 for $350? http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Because It's a factory reconditioned model.
post #830 of 3864 Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Saints - whats the budget limit? The 360 or 609 is a great choice - the network functions are great - especially if you want to drive zone 2 to another room or outside. There are some nice remote apps for android and iOS. The 609/360 have the advanced gui and more power. The 509 is decent too - less power, less connection options - so if were up to me I would go 509 or up.
post #831 of 3864 Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:

No, it is not, what you gain on the 609, is THX certification, and a PC input. The 360 is selling for $55 less than the 609 on amazon as of (7-30-11) it all depends on your finances, personal spending allowance and how important THX certification,and a PC input is to you, the 360 does not have a PC input. If you can afford it, without breaking the bank go for the 609, otherwise, the 360 will be just fine!

Please,if you don't mind, let me know what receiver you end up with!!
Thanks!!! in advance!!!!
post #832 of 3864 Old 07-30-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman777go View Post

No, it is not, what you gain on the 609, is THX certification, and a second HDMI output, the 360 is selling for $55 less than the 609 on amazon as of (7-30-11) it all depends on your finances, personal spending allowance and how important THX certification and a second HDMI output is to you!! Both have a PC input, if you can afford it, without breaking the bank go for the 609, otherwise, the 360 will be just fine!

Please,if you don't mind, let me know what receiver you end up with!!
Thanks!!! in advance!!!!

They both have one HDMI output. Besides the THX cert., the only thing you gain on the 609 is a PC input.
post #833 of 3864 Old 07-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbrit View Post

Because It's a factory reconditioned model.

And the problem is? Refurbs are usually better than brand new as they are rigorously tested by actual humans rather than being mass produced by machines and shipped out. And they come with full factory warranty, but spend your money the way you want.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #834 of 3864 Old 07-30-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plottster View Post

They both have one HDMI output. Besides the THX cert., the only thing you gain on the 609 is a PC input.

You are right about the one HDMI out on both and no PC input on the 360. My mistake, I stand corrected.
post #835 of 3864 Old 07-30-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

And the problem is? Refurbs are usually better than brand new as they are rigorously tested by actual humans rather than being mass produced by machines and shipped out. And they come with full factory warranty, but spend your money the way you want.

Refurbs = Seconds or Returns, whichever way you want to dress that up. I've purchased refurbs as well as display stock and have been happy with my purchase. However, I personally wouldn't choose to purchase any product which is not sealed in a box, unless it carrys a discount of at least 25% to the normal selling price. That's just my opinion and I'm sure that many others would agree.
post #836 of 3864 Old 07-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbrit View Post

Refurbs = Seconds or Returns, whichever way you want to dress that up. I've purchased refurbs as well as display stock and have been happy with my purchase. However, I personally wouldn't choose to purchase any product which is not sealed in a box, unless it carrys a discount of at least 25% to the normal selling price. That's just my opinion and I'm sure that many others would agree.

I had a problem with my first factory sealed in the box new 609 and Amazon sent me another factory sealed in the box new one. I couldn't even get it to set up so they sent a 3rd factory sealed new in the box. So, I think a refurb that has been thoroughly gone over and tested on the bench probably has as good a chance of being right as the factory sealed new in the box units I got.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
post #837 of 3864 Old 07-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myron243 View Post

I had a problem with my first factory sealed in the box new 609 and Amazon sent me another factory sealed in the box new one. I couldn't even get it to set up so they sent a 3rd factory sealed new in the box. So, I think a refurb that has been thoroughly gone over and tested on the bench probably has as good a chance of being right as the factory sealed new in the box units I got.

Yes, but isn't the warranty shorter on the refurbs? Or am I getting my Onkyos and Denons mixed up?
post #838 of 3864 Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Yes, but isn't the warranty shorter on the refurbs? Or am I getting my Onkyos and Denons mixed up?

Yes, the Onkyo warranty is shorter on refurbs. According to the Onkyo site new gets 2 year parts and labor while refurb gets 1 year parts and labor. So, shorter warranty but still a year. I believe Denon refurbs only get 90 days.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
post #839 of 3864 Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 AM

I tried calling Onkyo customer support about my intermittent audio on hdmi pass thru and they had me do a factory reset which of course erased all settings on the receiver, a major pain to reset and of course did not fix the problem. I put my watt meter on the receiver and reads 0 with the receiver off and pass thru off, approx 30 watts with pass thru on, around 120-140 watts with the receiver cranked up pretty loud.
post #840 of 3864 Old 07-31-2011, 02:28 PM

I am new to this site but I wanted to ask this question... I am looking to get a new receiver and I am between three different ones: Onkyo TX-NR509, Pioneer VSX-521-K, and Yamaha RX-V371BL. I would like to know what you all think and what your overall experience with your onkyo is? Thanks for your help
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page