Old 08-07-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prgood View Post

I have noticed the same thing. My old onkyo was very loud at low vol settings, my 609 is low at 50 and I listen in the 70's. It max's out about 86. I tried setting it to go to 100 but that does not work. Thru intellivolume you can boost each input and gain more vol that way.

I had the same issue and found using Intellivolume to bump my inputs by 3-5db, it puts the volume levels about the same as my 606.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

I had the same issue and found using Intellivolume to bump my inputs by 3-5db, it puts the volume levels about the same as my 606.

So do you bump them before you run Audyssey or after?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post

Don pressing the NET button get you into the mainreceiver menu selecting (enter) FAV or DLNA will get you into the folder -Selecting DLNA gets you to your (PC) names Servers -then selecting how you wish to access -example album,artist,song title.

Yes, you can use it without the display (TV) is combersome at least for me.

The way I have been using it I select album scrol throug my music file --select one -- at it fires up playing when it goes through all the songs- it will advance to next folder - SO far I like that set it once and forget it.

those that may wish to use it without a TV dispaly-I will note this *** the ownwers manual states it's made for the IPOD & iPhone-So that would suggest to me if you are a apple head and wish to use this with or without your TV display the ipod or the iphone would work much better than the two line display. (I don't have any expereince with either so I'n Guessing--YMMV

The upscalling Chip in the 609 really Blows me away, it takes my Hr22 receiver 1080i and upscales it to 1080p the picture was clear before connected straight to the Sony Tv but running it thorugh the 609 it really imporoves (sharpens and deepens the color). I can only say you would have to see it to really appreciate it. I switched it back just to make sure I wasn't fooling myself.

Can you REALLY improve on the source? Isn't it akin to blowing up a picture (not really increasing the resolution)?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Liked: 12
Hi from a new owner. I just got NR509 (was tired of waiting for 3312ci to come down on price and needed one until Christmas) but I have been pleasantly surprised by this < $300 receiver. Now I think I might wait a bit longer to upgrade than I originally anticipated

I was worried about the heat and the quality of 2EQ, but so far so good. My sub also died in the lightning strike and I probably won't get one before Christmas so, 2EQ is not that big of an issue. The temp too has not been over 42 after several hours of net music and a movie with volume at around 35.

Questions for other owners / Onkyo experts -

1. Is there a way to browse on my HTPC (InputBD) while listening to Pandora / internet music (InputNet) on the receiver? Not that big of a deal as I can play music on the PC itself though.

2. Is there a quick way to access the Dynamic Volume setting without going through Setup > Source Setup? There are too many steps and can't add a sequence in Harmony to change from Off to Light (music) and Heavy for late night watching.

3. Changing the inputs sometimes causes clicking in the receiver. Switching the audio mode to "direct" also clicks. Is this normal?

4. The last one is the only major issue I have with this receiver - my HTPC (AMD 790G board running latest AMD/Realtek drivers) is connected to the receiver's BD/DVD HDMI port. When it boots with the receiver / TV already on and set to BD/DVD, everything is fine. If I switch off the receiver with the computer on (or switch to cable box), when I turn it back on, the HDMI audio output gets disabled on the HTPC. It's not very consistent though, sometimes it does work, but it's random at best.

Before getting the receiver, the HDMI out of the PC was directly connected to the TV and there was never an issue. Both audio and video used to be played by the TV, but now video works while audio doesn't most of the times. Is this a known Onkyo / AMD board issue?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Can you REALLY improve on the source? Isn't it akin to blowing up a picture (not really increasing the resolution)?

You can't improve a source unless you change that source, but the 609 and other electronic equipment like blu-ray players can intelligently create pixels by identically cloning more instead of stretching the existing one's (blowing up a picture as you described it) to fill a larger screen. Some units like the 609 are better at achieving this than others.

In the case of the post you were responding to, the poster wasn't suggesting that resolution had increased but the video had been upgraded from 1080 interlaced to 1080 progressive which is to do with scan rates and not applicable to cathode-ray tube TV's which can't handle a progressive signal. You can google the ins and outs of the two technologies for yourself.,

This is not new technology and cannot match a HD signal from source, but if an SD sourcel is only 50% as crisp as the equivalent HD signal is and a good upscaler outputs smoother and crisper video with less artifacts or jitter than the original, then that's progress.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 AM

Is the built in headphone port on the onkyo nr609 any good? Or do I have to buy a dedicated amp?
I have two senheiser headphones the hd595 and hd650 is on its way to my house
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plottster View Post

So do you bump them before you run Audyssey or after?

After. I accidentally ran Audyssey with it bumped 5db and it was really quiet after, so I set Intellivolume back to zero and ran again, then bumped 3db on that source.
BTW, I suggest everyone run Audyssey more than once as my second running came up with more reasonable cross-over numbers for my fronts.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 AM

I'm a newbie here as just got a 509, but am excited about it. I've been trying to figure out how to connect to Netflix so I can run it through my 509 and to my TV. I've seen people talking about DLNA, but not sure what that is or how to use it. If anyone can help me understand this with a "For Dummies" explanation of getting Netflix, I'd be soooo appreciative!

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy1998 View Post

I'm a newbie here as just got a 509, but am excited about it. I've been trying to figure out how to connect to Netflix so I can run it through my 509 and to my TV. I've seen people talking about DLNA, but not sure what that is or how to use it. If anyone can help me understand this with a "For Dummies" explanation of getting Netflix, I'd be soooo appreciative!

Thanks everyone!

I would just Google DLNA or go to the wiki page. For Netflix, you need an account with them, first.

Are you trying to stream Netflix from a PC, Blu Ray player, PS3??? How is your setup connected?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks everyone!

DLNA is a file sharing protocol so the AVR can see shared files on your home network. You have to set up file sharing on your computer.
Netflix is best set up from a PC, then click the NET button on your AVR and you should see a menu that has Netflix and DLNA, among others. If you click DLNA, you should see the PC with shared files and select it. If you select Netflix, it will ask if have an account or want to set one up.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:

After. I accidentally ran Audyssey with it bumped 5db and it was really quiet after, so I set Intellivolume back to zero and ran again, then bump 3db on that source.
BTW, I suggest everyone run Audyssey more than once as my second running came up with more reasonable cross-over numbers for my fronts.

Thanks. BTW, did you do the second immediately after the first or wait for a period?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

I've tried what I could to work around the issue. It's possible there's another command that causes the breakage. I'll look over the release candidate I have now to be sure the 4 broken Onkyo commands are not being sent. What versions of the app are you all running (you can see this in the settings tab)? This was fixed back in 1.2.9 or 1.2.10. Current version on the app store is 1.2.12, with 1.2.13 coming in a week or so.

I do test for this issue though, my 609 has run for hours with no network issues. I haven't had to reset it since late June (firmware updates excepted).

EDIT:
As a followup, it ran for 6+ hours then stopped responding. The app was just letting Pandora play what it wants. What I think caused it was Zone 2 active playing network source with the main zone turned off, or it could just be a buggy network stack on the receiver. The 2010 models (and earlier) don't have this problem.

I'm on the latest version, I always jump on updates from the App store. I'm thinking you are right about a buggy IP stack. To accelerate the failure, all I really need to do is keep changing to a different source in My Favs.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick View Post

I'm on the latest version, I always jump on updates from the App store. I'm thinking you are right about a buggy IP stack. To accelerate the failure, all I really need to do is keep changing to a different source in My Favs.

I have a new version of my app that dramatically reduces communication. I found that my test 609 will still freeze after a while (though a bit longer than before the change). The new version communicates pretty much like how the Onkyo app does and works passively instead of passive with a bunch of active polling.

I have the Onkyo app running on my test setup now to see if it craps out after several hours of usage. The last 609 freezeup I saw was immediately after Pandora finished a song and was going to queue up the next one.

I'll let you know what I see. I didn't have this issue before the Spotify FW update, where I saw it run for more than 24 hours while I hammered the network port.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks everyone!

Oops, no Netflix on the Onkyo receivers. You can do that with a networked BluRay player or a game console such as the Wii. I was thinking of Pandora when answering your question.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plottster View Post

Thanks. BTW, did you do the second immediately after the first or wait for a period?

I ran them a day apart after I read a post on 609 center position needing to be the second position. But I think you can run it back to back. Warning! It will drive dogs, cats and wives crazy!
As a matter of fact I had to run again when a test showed in was even quieter than before and I realized I had run it with Intellivolume bumped up 5db. Set it back to zero, ran center first and saw how far off the distance numbers were for the surrounds, ran again with center being the second position. But the first time set my front crossover at 150 and subsequent runs set it down to 100. I turned off all fans and the AC, stood in a corner out of line from the speakers. The dog ran off as soon as Audyssey began. The wife was already out of the house.
I only had to bump Intellivolume 3db after. I wonder if the volume level for Audyssey is fixed. Wouldn't it be a bummer if it ran at the volume at which it was set prior to setup?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM

I'm looking to get my first audio receiver and I have been thinking about the Onkyo NR309. Is it a good entry level receiver or should I get the Pioneer VSX-820-K?

I can get them both for the same price and I'm just wondering which is considered the best quality for the price.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post
Hey all, I have the 609 and noticed that when I change the volume, it displays the volume change on the TV. My 607 did not do this. Is there a way to turn that off? I find it annoying when people are over watching sports/movies.
Yes you can turn it off, its in the settings, cant remember where though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear76 View Post
Hi folks,

new to this forum and a happy owner of a 609

Does anybody know if you can power on the unit using the Onkyo Remote for iPhone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post
I have a new version of my app that dramatically reduces communication. I found that my test 609 will still freeze after a while (though a bit longer than before the change). The new version communicates pretty much like how the Onkyo app does and works passively instead of passive with a bunch of active polling.

I have the Onkyo app running on my test setup now to see if it craps out after several hours of usage. The last 609 freezeup I saw was immediately after Pandora finished a song and was going to queue up the next one.

I'll let you know what I see. I didn't have this issue before the Spotify FW update, where I saw it run for more than 24 hours while I hammered the network port.

I can confirm that both oRemote on my iPad 2 and the Onkyo Remote app by Onkyo on my Android phone both cause net crashes. It crashed prior to the Spotify update as well. With both apps closed, Pandora played for 5 hours no problem on Sunday.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I ran them a day apart after I read a post on 609 center position needing to be the second position. But I think you can run it back to back. Warning! It will drive dogs, cats and wives crazy!
As a matter of fact I had to run again when a test showed in was even quieter than before and I realized I had run it with Intellivolume bumped up 5db. Set it back to zero, ran center first and saw how far off the distance numbers were for the surrounds, ran again with center being the second position. But the first day set my front crossover at 150 and subsequent runs set it down to 100. I turned off all fans and the AC, stood in a corner out of line from the speakers. The dog ran off as soon as Audyssey began. The wife was already out of the house.
I only had to bump Intellivolume 3db after. I wonder if the volume level for Audyssey is fixed. Wouldn't it be a bummer if it ran at the volume at which it was set prior to setup?

I'm afraid my crazy Lab will probably hang around and howl instead of taking off. I'll try it with the 1 2 3 config. and see how it sounds. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhammer View Post
I'm looking to get my first audio receiver and I have been thinking about the Onkyo NR309. Is it a good entry level receiver or should I get the Pioneer VSX-820-K?

I can get them both for the same price and I'm just wondering which is considered the best quality for the price.

Thanks
The price range seems to be about $200-$210.

The Onkyo is not a NR309. NR means it has networking and internet radio. It's a SR309. There is no auto room calibration like the higher up Onkyo receivers have. Plus it has cheap spring clips for speaker terminals.

I would take the Pioneer VSX-820 over the Onkyo 309. If you want an Onkyo see if you can find a SR508 on clearance.

Also check your local Best Buy for clearance Denon 591. You might find one in the same price range.

Afro GT
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post
I would just Google DLNA or go to the wiki page. For Netflix, you need an account with them, first.

Are you trying to stream Netflix from a PC, Blu Ray player, PS3??? How is your setup connected?
I have an account with them that I get on my Wii which is connected to a different TV. I was under the impression that I could stream Netflix through my 509. Maybe that isn't the case? I have a Mac PC for my main computer, but it's not connected to the TV either.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I have an account with them that I get on my Wii which is connected to a different TV. I was under the impression that I could stream Netflix through my 509. Maybe that isn't the case? I have a Mac PC for my main computer, but it's not connected to the TV either.
Netflix isn't native to the Onkyos. You'd have to run your Wii through the 509 or connect another Netflix-enabled device to it. You can get Netflix-capable BD players, for instance, pretty cheap these days.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The Onkyo is not a NR309. NR means it has networking and internet radio. It's a SR309. There is no auto room calibration like the higher up Onkyo receivers have. Plus it has cheap spring clips for speaker terminals.

I would take the Pioneer VSX-820 over the Onkyo 309. If you want an Onkyo see if you can find a SR508 on clearance.

Also check your local Best Buy for clearance Denon 591. You might find one in the same price range.
Would it be worth the money to get the NR-509? It's only $50 more.

What do you think?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Just got the 609 and am running the wifi tongle. Everything works awesome. I have one annoying issue though.

I have the latest firmware. I did the 2q setup. The issue I am having is with audio. I have at&t uverse. If I am watching an HD channel that displays Dolby Digital on the receiver display everything works fine. If the channel is in HD though and shows PLII Movie the sound cuts in and out constantly. I have messed with settings and everything. I have filtered through the different surround sound options and it still does it. The only way to eliminate the issue is to turn it to the SD channel.

What's the issue? It's frustrating to say the least.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 PM

I'd also like to add that I am running the android remote app on my EVO 3d. I haven't used the ios app but the android one works great. Not only can you control the main output along with zone 2.......but I can stream the music I have on my phone through the network. Essentially if you have a android device with the 609.....you have airplay.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takmsdsm View Post

Yes you can turn it off, its in the settings, cant remember where though.

I can confirm that both oRemote on my iPad 2 and the Onkyo Remote app by Onkyo on my Android phone both cause net crashes. It crashed prior to the Spotify update as well. With both apps closed, Pandora played for 5 hours no problem on Sunday.

I'm looking into these. I do know there are some really basic network commands that can bring down the AVR in a really short time. Such mundane things like asking the AVR: "What artist are you playing?". Particularly in Zone 2 where this command is broken/does not respond.

I've been testing the Onkyo app for a day now and haven't gotten it to lock up yet. I've managed to hang the receiver in other ways, mainly trying to figure out why OS X Lion won't let me sniff packets properly with Wireshark. Since this problem only happens for me when I have 6-10 hours of straight operation, it's hard to be patient.

My latest builds' traffic look just like Onkyo's now. And I've seen the receiver lock up even though my app hasn't issued a single command. When playing Pandora, the receiver sends over title, artist, album, play status (stop, pause,play), and xx seconds of yy total time elapsed. Then it repeats the elapsed time until xx=yy, then repeats the whole sequence. Very simple, and it's all done passively.

Yet the receiver locks up.

Your noting that you've seen Onkyo's app lock up the receiver gives me hope that it is a firmware bug, but I haven't seen it yet myself.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What is wrong with those spring clips?? I happen to like them better because they're easier to insert the speaker wire. In fact, that's my only complaint with the 509 that I own.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhammer View Post

Would it be worth the money to get the NR-509? It's only $50 more.

What do you think?

IMHO.....NO!!

The 509 basically has additional features like Audyssey EQ and more ports. The 309 has more than enough ports and I find the Audyssey feature to be a waste. Sounds terrible with it on. YMMV, of course. But I regret spending the extra $$ on the 509.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

IMHO.....NO!!

The 509 basically has additional features like Audyssey EQ and more ports. The 309 has more than enough ports and I find the Audyssey feature to be a waste. Sounds terrible with it on. YMMV, of course. But I regret spending the extra $$ on the 509.

509 has Internet/DLNA streaming. That is probably the biggest difference between the two models. If they have a lot of mp3's on a computer, or have a Sirius subscription, or like Internet radio, the 509 would be a good choice.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Have been playing with the receiver a bit more lately, feeling better about the purchase.

Still trying to get it all set up to my liking, When I use the GUI for the audio, I noticed many of the values had (-) db, so when I bumped them up the sound got louder.

Still trying to figure out getting the correct sound from my fronts: I have Jamo 882K3 8" 2 way speakers. It has 4/8 ohm switchable impedance, I have them set at 4 ohms. The only question I have now is how to set the frequency range for these speakers. The spec sheet says 60-22KHz, what does that mean? How do I use that information for the receiver, I remember when setting up the receiver for the first time, I was asked a question about the speaker sensitivity, I think.

These are big time newb questions, hopefully not too silly to be asking.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 PM

Now that I look at my own post: I'm guessing I set the speaker set up to 60 hz on the receiver for the inwalls. Makes sense, never really understood any of this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but thats what I'll do unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks again,
Steve

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver