Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3864 Old 08-20-2011, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's possible the DNLA site is screwed up. Anyway, it works and that's all that matters.

I did have it hang on the "net" screen "initializing" last night. I had to unplug it to get the net functionality to work again. Hopefully, this won't be a continuing issue.

I'm really impress with the amount of network functionality you get for a receiver of this price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3864 Old 08-20-2011, 12:10 PM

I don't know crap about audio and i'm trying to build a basic system for my living room. I ordered the onkyo tx-nr 509 with jamo s426hcs3 system deal from tiger direct for $420. Is this system halfway decent? And can someone suggest a sub that'll go with this basic setup?
post #993 of 3864 Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM

this might have been answered but can we use a generic wifi adapter or a bridge to get the 609 connected?
thanks!
post #994 of 3864 Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 PM

I'm a new owner of the 609, and am experiencing issues with NET and USB - hopefully someone knows a solution!

Often times when I switch to NET, i get nothing but a blue screen. I've tried lots of combinations, but nothing fixes. I experience the same with USB. Also, when connected to the Ipod, the music skips- can't play a single song.

I am beginning to think I have a bad receiver-- has anyone experienced similar issues?
post #995 of 3864 Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 PM

New owner of a TX-NR509 and a first time poster here.
Forgive me if the question is silly/stupid but is it at all possible to get Grooveshark to work on the 509?
I've tried going into the "Favorites" tab of the unit setup (by going to the receivers IP address) and entering the grooveshark url, my url and my playlist(s) url and that doesn't seem to work.

I did the most recent firmware update and would like to know if it were at all possible to get Grooveshark to work via the receiver (like Pandora) instead of using an external source for it.

Thanks
post #996 of 3864 Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb788 View Post

I'm a new owner of the 609, and am experiencing issues with NET and USB - hopefully someone knows a solution!

Often times when I switch to NET, i get nothing but a blue screen. I've tried lots of combinations, but nothing fixes. I experience the same with USB. Also, when connected to the Ipod, the music skips- can't play a single song.

I am beginning to think I have a bad receiver-- has anyone experienced similar issues?

Have you done the firmware update yet?
post #997 of 3864 Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJimPage View Post

New owner of a TX-NR509 and a first time poster here.
Forgive me if the question is silly/stupid but is it at all possible to get Grooveshark to work on the 509?
I've tried going into the "Favorites" tab of the unit setup (by going to the receivers IP address) and entering the grooveshark url, my url and my playlist(s) url and that doesn't seem to work.

I did the most recent firmware update and would like to know if it were at all possible to get Grooveshark to work via the receiver (like Pandora) instead of using an external source for it.

Thanks

I wouldn't think so as the net apps are programmed into the receiver. If you find out different, let us know as I like Grooveshark too.
post #998 of 3864 Old 08-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb788 View Post

Shut off the receiver and pull the plug. The networking needs to be reset. You need to pull the plug because turning it off just puts it into standby.
post #999 of 3864 Old 08-21-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by note235 View Post

this might have been answered but can we use a generic wifi adapter or a bridge to get the 609 connected?
thanks!

Should not be an issue.
post #1000 of 3864 Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

I wouldn't think so as the net apps are programmed into the receiver. If you find out different, let us know as I like Grooveshark too.

There is nothing that says that a particular amp won't support something, but it's up to Onkyo to add it to their firmware. We are at the end of development life cycle so, I would assume it's pretty unlikely.

Unfortunately, these things are not like PC's where you can just install things. All apps have to be baked into the firmware. This is changing in the industry some TV's, etc. now have markets, but I don't think this model supports that.
post #1001 of 3864 Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Shut off the receiver and pull the plug. The networking needs to be reset. You need to pull the plug because turning it off just puts it into standby.

Does anybody know a way to "reboot" the receiver via the remote? Pulling the plug is difficult in my setup.
post #1002 of 3864 Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 609 and am pretty happy with it so far. I have a question about impedance matching speaker selectors. I have 4 speakers in the ceiling (8 ohm) - I'm trying to find a way to hook them up to the zone 2.

It seems that many of the speaker selectors are for amps that are 4 ohm capable. The 609 is 8 ohm if I'm reading the specs right. Does anyone know of a speaker selector that I could use and not trip the amp's protection safeguards?

I found this one that might work OSD ISS4:
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/ishipo4pasps.html
It seems to provide 10 Ohms if I understand the specs well enough.

The SIMA SSW4 says it handles differently rated speakers, but in the manual it looks like its expecting the amp to be rated for 4 or 2 Ohm.
http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SSW-Speaker-Selector-Pairs/dp/B00005NCWM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I admit, I'm not very well versed in this stuff, but from my research its best if it all matches, so if one exists that matches, I'd like to get the right thing.

Also, I can't be the only newb with this question, so if we could answer it here, I'm hoping it will help others.

Thanks for the help.
m
post #1003 of 3864 Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 PM

So, I have a 509 and I'm very happy with it. I bought it to power a couple of bookshelf speakers in my living room and a couple of outdoor speakers. Works great.

I want install a switch to turn each set on/off. Is it a bad idea to have the speakers "open". e.g. no speakers, even though the amp for those speakers is powered?
post #1004 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Last.fm now works. I posted on the OnkyoUSA FB page on 8/12 that it was not working and they answered that post today. I'm 100% certain they did not fix it in response to my post but it made me feel good at the time to tell 'em it was broken.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
post #1005 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 AM

I just purchased an Onkyo 609, which I will be using with a PS3 as a blu-ray player. The latter only provides multichannel PCM output when it decodes hi-res audio, and I am wondering whether the 609 will apply bass management to it. The listener modes seem only to be "Direct", mono, stereo, and a bunch of synthesized modes like theater etc. However, the manual suggests that bass management may not be applied to Direct inputs. Since I only have small front speakers, I really need to send their frequencies below 80Hz to the sub. How do I do this?

Thanks!
post #1006 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I am only a few hundred posts into this forum, so I don't know if this has been addressed. I am coming from an Onkyo TX-SR705. On that forum people always spoke of HDMI handshake issues. I paid them no mind as mine did not have any issues. Now with the TX-NR609 I just bought, I am having some issues. I have 2 DVRs hooked up. I have a macro set to turn on my TV and the 609 with the push of one button on the remote. With the main DVR, it has sound and no picture, if I access the DVR menu or change the channel, the video will then come on. But, it has lost the settings I had for resolution and is always set back to 480i. I have to go back into the DVR menu and change it to native. The second DVR I have attached does not have this issue. Any one else have this issue with this receiver? Any ideas as to resolving it?
post #1007 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
thats very strange - try turning things on manually - tv first, wait a few seconds, then onkyo. If that doesnt work, try onkyo then tv after a few seconds.
post #1008 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

thats very strange - try turning things on manually - tv first, wait a few seconds, then onkyo. If that doesnt work, try onkyo then tv after a few seconds.

Thanks for your reply. i was worried I might have to try that. If it does work, maybe I can reprogram the macro to turn things on in different order.
post #1009 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

If I am watching a blu-ray and I skip to next chapter or back to previous chapter, the sound takes about 2-3 seconds to return. There was no delay with my 705. Is there a audio setting somewhere that I am missing?
post #1010 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
i have never noticed that, but I have never really paid attention to it. I will check tonight and see if mine does it as well. What is your blu ray player?
post #1011 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

If I am watching a blu-ray and I skip to next chapter or back to previous chapter, the sound takes about 2-3 seconds to return. There was no delay with my 705. Is there a audio setting somewhere that I am missing?

I could be mistaken, but I think that is the Audyssey Dynamic Volume at play.

The same thing happens when skipping around on my TiVo. It also results in the typical TiVo sound effects being inaudible. Worst side effect is that gun shots and other sudden, loud effects in movies are also significantly dampened, even on the "low" setting. Strangely, if I turn it off, then I have to crank the volume a lot higher to get the same amount of sound output.
post #1012 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

i have never noticed that, but I have never really paid attention to it. I will check tonight and see if mine does it as well. What is your blu ray player?

Samsung BD-P3600. it's not just blu-ray though. Whenever I start to view a new recording on the dvr, the sound takes 2-3 seconds to start. With my 705 I just set Dolby Digital to "Dolby Digital", DTS to "DTS" and so forth. With the 609 there is no setting for that. I have to select direct source (Or something to that effect) and I think each time it starts a new sound track, it will take a few seconds to determine what it is going to do.
post #1013 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arex View Post

I could be mistaken, but I think that is the Audyssey Dynamic Volume at play.

The same thing happens when skipping around on my TiVo. It also results in the typical TiVo sound effects being inaudible. Worst side effect is that gun shots and other sudden, loud effects in movies are also significantly dampened, even on the "low" setting. Strangely, if I turn it off, then I have to crank the volume a lot higher to get the same amount of sound output.

I will try turning that off. Thanks.
post #1014 of 3864 Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburckh View Post

Does anybody know a way to "reboot" the receiver via the remote? Pulling the plug is difficult in my setup.

You can't reboot via the remote, if you can't pull the plug you can flick the mains power switch off and then back on after a few secs. If that can't be accessed, then it needs to be said that you have a potentially dangerous setup there.
post #1015 of 3864 Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

When I go into the menu for listening mode presets, I want to set Dolby TrueHD to "Dobly TrueHD" and DTS-MA to "DTS-MA". According to page 37 of the manual, those selections should be available. But, my closest option is "Straight Decode". And, funny thing is, the manual mentions nothing about "Straight Decode". Am I missing something here?
post #1016 of 3864 Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal01 View Post
Too bad, I was going to recommend this unit to a family member, I have a 5508 and I don't like the clicks but live with them, I don't think they would live with them though.
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, as I am only on post #421, but those clicks will go away entirely, if your set your listening presets correctly.
post #1017 of 3864 Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
When I go into the menu for listening mode presets, I want to set Dolby TrueHD to "Dobly TrueHD" and DTS-MA to "DTS-MA". According to page 37 of the manual, those selections should be available. But, my closest option is "Straight Decode". And, funny thing is, the manual mentions nothing about "Straight Decode". Am I missing something here?
You need to bitsteam those lossless audio codecs from a source device like a blu-ray player via HDMI to see those lights on your AVR.
post #1018 of 3864 Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post
You need to bitsteam those lossless audio codecs from a source device like a blu-ray player via HDMI to see those lights on your AVR.
I see the lights on my AVR, I am just curious why I do not see them as a selection to set for my listening presets, and why the manual says nothing about straight decode.
post #1019 of 3864 Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
I see the lights on my AVR, I am just curious why I do not see them as a selection to set for my listening presets, and why the manual says nothing about straight decode.
That's because it doesn't say anything about "GAY" control either -but it's their.
post #1020 of 3864 Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post
That's because it doesn't say anything about "GAY" control either -but it's their.
You do realize where I am talking about the listening mode presets? The closest I can determine for TrueHD and DTS-MA is "straight decode". I am not following about "gay" control being there?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page