Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi denial2u, sorry no can do. This sound like a bad setup idea and plus you're taking a risk of damaging the NR609 receiver if the Sony speakers are connected to it. Those Sony speakers are rated at 3 ohm which causes the receiver to work harder to drive them. A better solution is to remove the HTIB system save some $$$ and get a inexpensive 5.1 speaker package ($200 - $300 range).

JChin appreciate your feedback.
I looked up the specs on the Sony system which is rated for 30ohms for 5 Channels, so I'm assuming 6 ohms/channel. I did notice that for the .1 Channel I can hookup the sub out from the a/v receiver using a digital coaxial audio cable to the Sony DAVFX which is also an amplifier and does have a coaxial audio in. The instruction manual suggests to hookup this way too. Do you think this whole setup is a bad idea including using the speakers originally from my home theater system and connecting them to the 609.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Hi 4mula1, isn't it listed as something like:

- Dolby D/Dolby D Plus/TrueHD
- DTS/DTS-ES/DTS-HD

Yes, but the listening modes available to set for these do not include TrueHD or DTS-MA like on my previous Onkyo. The correct setting for these 2 would be Straight Decode.
post #1083 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Yes, but the listening modes available to set for these do not include TrueHD or DTS-MA like on my previous Onkyo. The correct setting for these 2 would be Straight Decode.

I found when I had it straight decode my Audyssey DSX was disabled. I had to scroll through the listening modes with the blu ray playing to enable dts- hd-ma Audyssey DSX. Was kinda weird so I changed it from straight decode to audyssey DSX and the 609 still decoded it as DTS HD-MA. Make any sense? Sometimes I dont make sense to myself
post #1084 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post

I found when I had it straight decode my Audyssey DSX was disabled. I had to scroll through the listening modes with the blu ray playing to enable dts- hd-ma Audyssey DSX. Was kinda weird so I changed it from straight decode to audyssey DSX and the 609 still decoded it as DTS HD-MA. Make any sense? Sometimes I dont make sense to myself

So, within the preset listening modes where you scroll through and select the listening mode for each item, when you highlighted DTS-MA or TrueHD, Audyssey DSX was an option? I only see Straight Decode, last valid, all of the THX modes, NEO modes, and PLII modes. On mine, with straight decode selected, I still have the Audyssey icon on the front of the 609, and I have Audyssey set to cinema.
post #1085 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Well, finally got the new A/V system in place. Had supposed the top installer in the area do the job, which took him 13 hours. He spent 2 hours, at least, just programming the remote. Here's what I got:

TV: 55" Sony NX720, wall mounted
AVR: Onkyo NR-609
Mains: DefTech BP 8060 Towers (hooked up via LFE and speaker lines)
Center: DefTech CS 8060 (no LFE, speaker line only)
Surrounds: DefTech DI 6.5R X2, in ceiling
No separate sub at this point, maybe add down the line

Watching Inception now, pretty impressed. Still need to do some tweaking, especially to the AVR. I was a little disappointed that the installer didn't spend more time with these adjustments. I briefly looked at some of the pro settings and it is pretty deep stuff, wished he could have helped. He was more concerned with getting the remote one (Logitech Harmony One), but in all honesty, I could have left that out.

Any advice on tweaks? Room is 15 x 20, with 11 ft ceilings. speakers are toed in, 10 feet from listening/watching area, 7 feet apart. I am going to post this in the Onkyo 609 owner's thread as well.
post #1086 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

So, within the preset listening modes where you scroll through and select the listening mode for each item, when you highlighted DTS-MA or TrueHD, Audyssey DSX was an option? I only see Straight Decode, last valid, all of the THX modes, NEO modes, and PLII modes. On mine, with straight decode selected, I still have the Audyssey icon on the front of the 609, and I have Audyssey set to cinema.

So yes. In the menu under "listening mode presets" for my BD/DVD source and my VCR/DVR source in the dolby and the DTS listening modes I have Audyssey DSX selected and when I play something on those sources and press display the OSD shows dolby 5.1 or DTS HD MA 5.1- Audyssey 7.1. When I was watching a blu ray last night and I pressed display It only showed up DTS MA 5.1 on the OSD. For some reason it was set to straight decode and my DSX did not show up on the OSD. Weird . I changed both listening mode presets to Audyssey DSX and it worked right again. You are saying you cant change it to Audyssey DSX in the listening mode presets for your different sources?
post #1087 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:

So let me clarify. The input on the OSD says Dolby 5.1 and the output says Audyssey 7.1 and yes I can change the listening mode presets from straight decode to Audyssey DSX on my BD/DVD source and my VCR/DVR source. Hope that makes sense. Do we have the same models?? Onkyo TX-NR609?
post #1088 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Go into the settings, navigate to the preset listening modes (on the 609) and tell me where I can select TrueHD or DTS-MA? TrueHD and DTS-MA are there for me to set the listening modes for, but TrueHD and DTS-MA are NOT options that I can select for them. They were options I could select on the 705 that I had. Now, Straight Decode is the option to select if you want to output what the source is outputting. In this case it would be TrueHD or DTS-MA. That is what I have selected and that is what is output and displayed on the front.

You can not select those modes on any pre-amp or receiver from any manufacturer, unless they are encoded on the disc you are playing, if the disc is encoded with D TRUE HD, DTS MASTER AUDIO, DTS OR D.DIGITAL, then you can choose to superimpose any other processing mode over those FOUR. D TRUE HD, D.D, DTS MA and DTS, are only available if they are encoded on the disc, they are not pre-set DSP modes like D PRO LOGIC II or TV LOGIC.
THEY HAVE TO BE ENCODED ONTO THE DISC YOU ARE PLAYING.

THE PRE-AMP IN THE RECEIVER HAS
BUILT IN D. TRUE HD, DTS MASTER AUDIO, DTS and D.DIGITAL DECODERS, THOSE FOUR SOUND MODES, ARE NOT DSP PRE-SETS THEY ARE SOUND TRACK ENCODINGS.

YOU CAN ALSO CHOOSE BIT STREAM OUTPUT (PCM MODE) FROM YOUR BLU-RAY PLAYER, SELECT FROM YOUR PLAYERS MENU, IT WILL SHOW UP AS MULTI- CHANNEL,. (PCM) or STRAIGHT DECODE, (PCM) ON THE 609's FRONT PANEL DISPLAY and THE SAME, ON SCREEN!
PCM, IS BIT STREAM FROM YOUR PLAYER, and INDICATED AS STRAIGHT DECODE,(PCM) or (MULTI CHANNEL, (PCM) ONSCREEN and ON THE FRONT PANEL of YOUR TX-NR609.

You can choose to let the player (PCM MODE)--(BITSTREAM) or the receiver decode the multi- channel audio encoded on the disc.

YOU MUST GO INTO YOUR PLAYERS SETTINGS MENU and SET HDMI OUT (AUTO) to HDMI (PCM) instead of AUTO.
also, if you are using OPTICAL or COAXIAL DIGITAL CONNECTIONS,
change the settings for DOLBY DIGITAL OR DTS to PCM in the menu on your player, in PCM MODE THE PLAYER DOES THE DECODING and VISA VERSA.

DID I MAKE THAT CLEAR ENOUGH
FOR YOU?
I AM NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE, JUST TRYING, TO CLARIFY.
ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?
post #1089 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Hi 4mula1, isn't it listed as something like:

- Dolby D/Dolby D Plus/TrueHD
- DTS/DTS-ES/DTS-HD

Thats what I have on mine and from there I can select Audyssey DSX or all the other modes including straight decode which will not allow DSX. DSX has to be enabled under the above quoted presets. Hope that helps 4mula1.
post #1090 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 PM

A while back I asked how to get the multichannel PCM output from my PS3 to be treated with bass management by my new Onkyo 609. The problem was that the only multichannel mode (other than ones synthesizing extra information, such as THX, etc.) that I could select for "Analog/PCM/Digital" in the Listening Mode Preset menu for BD/DVD was "Direct" which doesn't do bass management. My one AVS Forum response, and Onkyo Customer Service, both told me to run the Audyssey set up, which I did, but it did not change the above problem.

I eventually did solve the problem by experimentation, and in case this might be useful to any other newbies, here is what I did. When watching a BD, I repeatedly pressed the "movie/tv" listening button on the Onkyo unit itself (not the remote). Lo and behold, the "multich" mode that is listed in the manual but is nowhere present when using the remote to set Listening mode presets, showed up. (This is the mode that enables bass management.) With that enabled, I then used the remote to set the Listening mode preset to "Last Valid". This seems to have done the trick. And perhaps the Audyssey set up was worth while, as "Audyssey" appeared in small print when "Multich" appeared on the 609 display.

If anyone knows a simpler method to get bass management in my situation, please let me know.
post #1091 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Oh, now I see now what you mean ... out with old and in with the new. Back then they had as separate formats and now its combined. So since its combined another choice is added for TrueHD/DTSHD (Straight, which basically took the place of the selection TrueHD/DTSHD Master). Now why its not mention in the OM? Who knows ... maybe Onkyo got lazy and just recopy from previous manuals.
post #1092 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial2u View Post

I am trying to hookup the 5.1 channel speakers from my existing home theater system (DAV-FX500) from Sony through this receiver. The problem that i run into is for the .1 channel which is the subwoofer 609 only has an output for a powered subwoofer. My subwoofer since it was a part of an existing home theater system is not powered, so I cannot hookup it up to this receiver. I don't see any other ports on the backside where I can hookup my sub. If anybody else has run into this problem and have found a solution please let me know.

Sounds like you have a Sony all in one system to me. Most modern A/V receivers will only facilitate powered subs. You need a new sub.

My friend has an all in one JVC A/V system with door-bell type wiring for the speakers (why do they skimp on what was a very nice system for it's day - 5 yrs ago), since the amp part went kaput, he's now left with a nice TV and some bits and pieces.
post #1093 of 3864 Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 PM

I exchanged the receiver at Frys even though it was about day 33. The exchange took about 2 hours!! They tested the receiver to see what the static was all about but they were playing the wrong material the whole time. They kept playing the scene from Star Wars Phantom Menace where they are racing. I kept telling them to play quiet scenes to hear the static.

I got the supervisor to come and he tried to test it out with some music. He turned it on but the receiver turned off half a sec later. Then he did this about 5 times, each time the receiver turning off, while I was there and my jaw dropped. I would've thought he was going to stop after the 2nd time. Turns out, he wired the positive and negative into the same terminal on the speaker.

He denied any wrong doing and said I have 2 options, to exchange it or return it to Onkyo and have them fix it, LOL. He said the option was up to the exchange manager. I pinned the blame on him and he quickly denied everything.

All in all, the exchange manager eventually did an exchange. The new receiver has static too!!! Although its much much less audible and the only time I hear the static is with PLII mode and barely any static with NEO-6...sigh...
post #1094 of 3864 Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TInyk View Post

I exchanged the receiver at Frys even though it was about day 33. The exchange took about 2 hours!! They tested the receiver to see what the static was all about but they were playing the wrong material the whole time. They kept playing the scene from Star Wars Phantom Menace where they are racing. I kept telling them to play quiet scenes to hear the static.

I got the supervisor to come and he tried to test it out with some music. He turned it on but the receiver turned off half a sec later. Then he did this about 5 times, each time the receiver turning off, while I was there and my jaw dropped. I would've thought he was going to stop after the 2nd time. Turns out, he wired the positive and negative into the same terminal on the speaker.

He denied any wrong doing and said I have 2 options, to exchange it or return it to Onkyo and have them fix it, LOL. He said the option was up to the exchange manager. I pinned the blame on him and he quickly denied everything.

All in all, the exchange manager eventually did an exchange. The new receiver has static too!!! Although its much much less audible and the only time I hear the static is with PLII mode and barely any static with NEO-6...sigh...

(TInyk)
It's good to know, that they took care of you the right way, some of Fry's sales people can be a little on the low down, and play games with you, if you pay attention and keep one step ahead of them, in the end you will win.

They try to take advantage of the less experienced consumer,if given the chance.

Not all of them, but more than you would think, for them it is all about sales and money, money, money.

FRY'S sales people work on commission, and they are under pressure by upper corporate management to make a set minimum quota per day.

Even with that little kink, I still enjoy shopping at FRY'S.

They have always done right by me, so far, but I am a very experienced consumer, and never allow them to take advantage of me on any level,at any time.

I, wanted to let you know (TInyk) if you are still hearing static from your speakers, the problem could be your speakers, I have no static at any time, in any mode, at any volume level, with any source, the sound is always near perfect at all times,I have had 0 issues with my ONKYO.

You may want to check into that,
if you have not already!
post #1095 of 3864 Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman777go View Post

You can not select those modes on any pre-amp or receiver from any manufacturer, unless they are encoded on the disc you are playing, if the disc is encoded with D TRUE HD, DTS MASTER AUDIO, DTS OR D.DIGITAL, then you can choose to superimpose any other processing mode over those FOUR. D TRUE HD, D.D, DTS MA and DTS, are only available if they are encoded on the disc, they are not pre-set DSP modes like D PRO LOGIC II or TV LOGIC.
THEY HAVE TO BE ENCODED ONTO THE DISC YOU ARE PLAYING.

THE PRE-AMP IN THE RECEIVER HAS
BUILT IN D. TRUE HD, DTS MASTER AUDIO, DTS and D.DIGITAL DECODERS, THOSE FOUR SOUND MODES, ARE NOT DSP PRE-SETS THEY ARE SOUND TRACK ENCODINGS.

YOU CAN ALSO CHOOSE BIT STREAM OUTPUT (PCM MODE) FROM YOUR BLU-RAY PLAYER, SELECT FROM YOUR PLAYERS MENU, IT WILL SHOW UP AS MULTI- CHANNEL,. (PCM) or STRAIGHT DECODE, (PCM) ON THE 609's FRONT PANEL DISPLAY and THE SAME, ON SCREEN!
PCM, IS BIT STREAM FROM YOUR PLAYER, and INDICATED AS STRAIGHT DECODE,(PCM) or (MULTI CHANNEL, (PCM) ONSCREEN and ON THE FRONT PANEL of YOUR TX-NR609.

You can choose to let the player (PCM MODE)--(BITSTREAM) or the receiver decode the multi- channel audio encoded on the disc.

YOU MUST GO INTO YOUR PLAYERS SETTINGS MENU and SET HDMI OUT (AUTO) to HDMI (PCM) instead of AUTO.
also, if you are using OPTICAL or COAXIAL DIGITAL CONNECTIONS,
change the settings for DOLBY DIGITAL OR DTS to PCM in the menu on your player, in PCM MODE THE PLAYER DOES THE DECODING and VISA VERSA.

DID I MAKE THAT CLEAR ENOUGH
FOR YOU?
I AM NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE, JUST TRYING, TO CLARIFY.
ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

No need to make clear to me, I understand what the settings are for. But do you realize what the preset listening modes are setting? You are telling the AVR what to produce when it gets that audio signal. If you set TrueHD (in the listening modes) to PLIIs, then when it gets a TrueHD signal, it will overlay the PLIIs filter. You will get TrueHD, but it will have the PLIIs affects. I was simply pointing out that in my old 705, TrueHD was a selection I had for setting TrueHD. If it received a TrueHD signal, I got the unfiltered TrueHD sound. With the 609, I have to select Straight Decode in order to get the raw TrueHD sound with no other affects added. I do realize what you are trying to convey, but I also realize that on my old 705, TrueHD was the only format that I was able to set TrueHD for on the listening modes, and the same goes for DTS-MA. So, it's not like TrueHD was an option for me on ALL listening mode formats. I could not set TrueHD for 2CH Dolby, or Mon, ect...
post #1096 of 3864 Old 08-31-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So let me clarify. The input on the OSD says Dolby 5.1 and the output says Audyssey 7.1 and yes I can change the listening mode presets from straight decode to Audyssey DSX on my BD/DVD source and my VCR/DVR source. Hope that makes sense. Do we have the same models?? Onkyo TX-NR609?

Yes, I have the TX-NR609. But, I do not have a 7.1 setup, only 5.1.Maybe that is the difference? And, I do not have Audessey as an option within the preset listening modes. I set Audessy up within the menu (I forget where) and my only choices are Off, Movie, Music. I set Audessey to Movie, and it always shows the Audessey icon on the front display.
post #1097 of 3864 Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, now I see now what you mean ... out with old and in with the new. Back then they had as separate formats and now its combined. So since its combined another choice is added for TrueHD/DTSHD (Straight, which basically took the place of the selection TrueHD/DTSHD Master). Now why its not mention in the OM? Who knows ... maybe Onkyo got lazy and just recopy from previous manuals.

Yes, exactly. Earlier on when I first posted this, I was just trying to confirm that straight decode was indeed the setting I needed to set for TrueHD and DTS-MA. I have since figured that out. And, the no mentioning in the OM is very strange, huh?
post #1098 of 3864 Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

And, the no mentioning in the OM is very strange, huh?

That's because the expression Onkyo uses is "Direct" decoding...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #1099 of 3864 Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

That's because the expression Onkyo uses is "Direct" decoding...

Although Onkyo uses the term "Direct" in a lot of ways, in the preset listening modes, the term is "Straight Decode".
post #1100 of 3864 Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have the TX-NR609. But, I do not have a 7.1 setup, only 5.1.Maybe that is the difference? And, I do not have Audessey as an option within the preset listening modes. I set Audessy up within the menu (I forget where) and my only choices are Off, Movie, Music. I set Audessey to Movie, and it always shows the Audessey icon on the front display.
If you have Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Volume "on" Audyssey will appear on the front display. Audyssey DSX is what enables my height channels as well as PLIIz. So my reciever recognizes that I have height channels and enables me to choose Audyssey DSX or PLIIz. I think there might be a little confusion regarding that goin on here. Probably you dont have Audyssey DSX in the preset listening modes because you dont have height channels. Just my thoughts for what their worth. Maybe that is the difference. Have a great day!!
post #1101 of 3864 Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1

(4mula1)
I understand now, what you were saying, I am also aware that I overstated all of the technical details in my post to you, things that you already knew, maybe others who do not know can benefit from that post!

I personally feel ONKYO has done an excellent job with all of the 2011 models, the sound quality,features, and overall perfomance are amazing!

How do you like your 609?
and the 2011, 09 series in general?
post #1102 of 3864 Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Volume "on" Audyssey will appear on the front display. Audyssey DSX is what enables my height channels as well as PLIIz. So my reciever recognizes that I have height channels and enables me to choose Audyssey DSX or PLIIz. I think there might be a little confusion regarding that goin on here. Probably you dont have Audyssey DSX in the preset listening modes because you dont have height channels. Just my thoughts for what their worth. Maybe that is the difference. Have a great day!!

Yes, I researched this earlier this morning and found out it is because i don't have height channel, so DSX is greyed out for me.
post #1103 of 3864 Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(4mula1)
I understand now, what you were saying, I am also aware that I overstated all of the technical details in my post to you, things that you already knew, maybe others who do not know can benefit from that post!

I personally feel ONKYO has done an excellent job with all of the 2011 models, the sound quality,features, and overall perfomance are amazing!

How do you like your 609?
and the 2011, 09 series in general?

No problem at all, any sharing of information is good for the forums. I love my 609. I just wish I can figure out the HDMI handshake issue. I can sit there and watch my DVR constantly show the HDMI handshake icon every 15-20 seconds, and it is driving me crazy. Plus, I still have to manually set the DVR from 480i to 1080i every time I turn things on.
post #1104 of 3864 Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM

Now I would like to know the type of speaker cables to be used. Here is my setup

AVR: Onkyo 609
Zone 1: jamo A102 HCS6 5.1setup: pls let me know if I have to choose 4ohms in AVR
Zone 2: Wharf Diamond 9.6 (6ohm)

1) I plan to add couple of satellites for front high.
I think the satellites in Jamo A102 are of 4ohms and Also I have to choose size as small. pls let me know

2) for speaker cables, my retailer suggested me to use 14gauge for zone2 and 16gauge for zone1. the area is going to be 16X14feet for entire setup.

pls let me know the gauge factor. I used the following ref
www[dot]roger-russell.com/wire/wire[dot]htm
post #1105 of 3864 Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just wish I can figure out the HDMI handshake issue. I can sit there and watch my DVR constantly show the HDMI handshake icon every 15-20 seconds, and it is driving me crazy. Plus, I still have to manually set the DVR from 480i to 1080i every time I turn things on.

If you haven't yet, try resetting or rebooting DVR (either through DVR menu if option is available or unplug power cord).

Does the resolution change issue happens if directly connected to tv?

Does the issue occurs with receiver HDMI Control is set to off or on?
post #1106 of 3864 Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you haven't yet, try resetting or rebooting DVR (either through DVR menu if option is available or unplug power cord).

Does the resolution change issue happens if directly connected to tv?

Does the issue occurs with receiver HDMI Control is set to off or on?

Hi, thanks for reply. I have done both a soft and hard reboot of the DVR. I have not tested directly to TV yet. Receiver HDMI control is set to off. And when powering things on one at a time. I can see the DVR showing the 1080i icon. The moment the receiver powers on, the DVR switches immediately to 480i, and the TV shows no picture (audio only, and only after about 2-3 minutes). I have to interact with the DVR in order to get video. And with everything on, the DVR is constantly doing an HDMI handshake. And, I have set the DVR to 1080i and Native, and that doesn't seem to change the outcome. I am beginning to wonder if I got a bad receiver. And might just try exchanging it for another. But, any additional input would be appreciated.
post #1107 of 3864 Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007india View Post

Now I would like to know the type of speaker cables to be used. Here is my setup

AVR: Onkyo 609
Zone 1: jamo A102 HCS6 5.1setup: pls let me know if I have to choose 4ohms in AVR
Zone 2: Wharf Diamond 9.6 (6ohm)

1) I plan to add couple of satellites for front high.
I think the satellites in Jamo A102 are of 4ohms and Also I have to choose size as small. pls let me know

2) for speaker cables, my retailer suggested me to use 14gauge for zone2 and 16gauge for zone1. the area is going to be 16X14feet for entire setup.

pls let me know the gauge factor. I used the following ref
www[dot]roger-russell.com/wire/wire[dot]htm

14 and 16 gauge wire is perfect, your retailer gave you very solid advice, go with it!
post #1108 of 3864 Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Hi, thanks for reply. I have done both a soft and hard reboot of the DVR. I have not tested directly to TV yet. Receiver HDMI control is set to off. And when powering things on one at a time. I can see the DVR showing the 1080i icon. The moment the receiver powers on, the DVR switches immediately to 480i, and the TV shows no picture (audio only, and only after about 2-3 minutes). I have to interact with the DVR in order to get video. And with everything on, the DVR is constantly doing an HDMI handshake. And, I have set the DVR to 1080i and Native, and that doesn't seem to change the outcome. I am beginning to wonder if I got a bad receiver. And might just try exchanging it for another. But, any additional input would be appreciated.

You may want to seriously consider an exchange.
I have 0 issues with my 609, it performs flawlessly.
post #1109 of 3864 Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi, thanks for reply. I have done both a soft and hard reboot of the DVR. I have not tested directly to TV yet. Receiver HDMI control is set to off.
But, any additional input would be appreciated.

Another suggestion to try, removing HDMI cable from the DVR, then power off DVR and unplug DVR power cord for about 10 minutes. Reconnect HDMI cable to DVR, power on the tv and then receiver. Plug DVR power cord, turn DVR back on and set resolution. Let it play for a few minutes then test your power off and on issue.
post #1110 of 3864 Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:

14 and 16 gauge wire is perfect, your retailer gave you very solid advice, go with it!

Thanks.

1) For jamo 6 HCS 102, should I choose 4 or 6ohms in speaker setup of my AVR?

2) Right now, I have zone 1 > jamo A 102 HCS6 which is 5.1 and zone 2 as wharf diamond 9.6. but my receiver supports 7.1. Can I do a Bi-amp for the remaining 7th channel to my zone2 speaker which supports Bi-amp. Also I will use zone1 & zone2 at different times and the speakers are located in same living room.

3) Also, can you indicate the steps to be taken to protect the AVR from voltage or any interference. Right now I have a simple voltage supplier connected to spike buster connected to AVR mains. what else should I do to protect the AVR? I have a good earthing/grounding for my whole house.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page