Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 3864 Old 10-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I need some advice...

I'm considering the NR609 from Amazon for $390 to replace my current SR605 because I recently bought a 3d TV (Sharp 70") and I want to be able to play 3d content through the receiver.

My setup is rather basic in my opinion, I have a mediocre 5.1 speaker setup (4 year old PSB speakers). I watch almost everything through my htpc media center (DVI-->HDMI video + optical audio to the receiver). I also have a Wii (component) and PS3 (HDMI, although I only use the PS3 to watch blurays, and rarely at that).

Is this receiver overkill for my setup? I'm trying to keep my costs low since I just bought the TV.

If this receiver is overkill, do you guys have any recommendations for a cheaper alternative that would fit my setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 3864 Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

You mean Onkyo? :-)

From what I'd read, they messed up the firmware version number in the docs and had to release a new set of documentation. If you updated to September's firmware you have the latest one.

Yes, sorry, I meant Onkyo. I made the change. Thanks for pointing that out.
post #1413 of 3864 Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultranaut View Post

Here is a strange new problem that even a power cycle doesn't seem to resolve:

My BD-player audio no longer works using bitstream out, at least not when streaming a movie via Netflix. It's hooked up via HDMI, and I am 100% certain it was working previously. I have no idea what changed and I'm not in the mood to troubleshoot anymore, it works still using PCM and that is good enough for now.

Mysteriously, this problem seems to have gone away. I changed back to bitstream and have not had it happen again once. Nothing actually changed, although about two days ago I did update the firmware on my BD-player, but this was after it had already been working with bitstream again for several days. I hate problems that appear and disappear without any obvious cause.
post #1414 of 3864 Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM

Any yays or nays on buying a refurb 609 from Accessories4less?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

$341 shipped.

Also, does the 609 convert component (like from a Wii) to hdmi? I've read in a couple threads that is does, but the Onkyo site puts a "-" next to "Component Video Upconversion", meaning it doesn't. I know it does "Analog To HDMI Upconversion" and I would have figured that would include component video.
post #1415 of 3864 Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I am about to buy the Onkyo TX-NR509 or 609 for a second room and wanted to know if there are any issues related to heat and if this model has the same video processing issue over HDMI like the Onkyo TX-NR608. It will be used with Panasonic 3D TV and 3D blu ray player. Thanks.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #1416 of 3864 Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivflight View Post

Any yays or nays on buying a refurb 609 from Accessories4less?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

$341 shipped.

I placed an order on Friday and it is out for delivery right now. It sounded like a great price since I couldn't get it at Fry's for $299, so I'll post later if I find anything wrong with mine after it arrives. I can't wait!
post #1417 of 3864 Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Yes, it has the ability to just "pass through" the signal. I have not tried that yet to see if it eliminates the issue. But, even if it did, I would not want it set that way, as I want the 609 to up convert to 1080p.

Well I think I have a work-around for now. If I go into Hardware Setup, set Auto Standby to "On" and then turn the TV off, about 3-4 seconds after turning the TV off, the receiver goes into standby. If I then turn the TV back on, the receiver immediately comes on and no change on the DCX. I tried this a couple of times (really quickly) with the same results, gonna try it tonight for the night and see what happens. The guy I've been working with at Comcast is gonna open a bug report, but well, we all know how long a firmware update can take if you can get it on the list to be fixed....haha
post #1418 of 3864 Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 AM

Liked: 12
Have a TX-NR609 about a month old and the unit suddenly won't pass video out to the the TV. I'm getting video and audio in from both the satellite and the Panny BR player (audio works through the 5.1 just fine from both), but no video to TV. And yes, I double checked to make sure the HDMI cables are hooked up correctly at receiver and TV. Any kind of hard reset, or anything else I can try before I send it back for replacement or repair?

BTW, did a search and found some issues with no audio pass-thru, but only one intermittent problem with no video pass-thru.... then again, maybe I just missed it somewhere.
post #1419 of 3864 Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryBoyUSA View Post

I placed an order on Friday and it is out for delivery right now. It sounded like a great price since I couldn't get it at Fry's for $299, so I'll post later if I find anything wrong with mine after it arrives. I can't wait!

Well, happy?
post #1420 of 3864 Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 PM

I just got the 509 a few weeks ago from Fry's and hooked it up to a Sharp 70". Playing Blu-ray is fine but with DirecTV connecting to HDMI of the receiver and out to TV, once in a while the audio just dropped for 2-3 seconds and came back. It doesn't happen all the time but a few times already and twice last night while watchin Modern Family.

Anyone knows what caused this? Is it the rec. or something else?

Thanks
post #1421 of 3864 Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libracolo View Post

Well I think I have a work-around for now. If I go into Hardware Setup, set Auto Standby to "On" and then turn the TV off, about 3-4 seconds after turning the TV off, the receiver goes into standby. If I then turn the TV back on, the receiver immediately comes on and no change on the DCX. I tried this a couple of times (really quickly) with the same results, gonna try it tonight for the night and see what happens. The guy I've been working with at Comcast is gonna open a bug report, but well, we all know how long a firmware update can take if you can get it on the list to be fixed....haha

I tried this to no avail. Is your setup different then mine? I have the DCX going into the 609, then out of 609 into TV. Doing what you mentioned does not make sense in my case, becasue the TV is not inputting anything into the 609. Therefore, by turning off the TV, the 609 is still receiving the signal from the DCX and it will not go into auto standby. I also tried shutting off the DCX, but the 609 never went into standby.
post #1422 of 3864 Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyc View Post

I just got the 509 a few weeks ago from Fry's and hooked it up to a Sharp 70". Playing Blu-ray is fine but with DirecTV connecting to HDMI of the receiver and out to TV, once in a while the audio just dropped for 2-3 seconds and came back. It doesn't happen all the time but a few times already and twice last night while watchin Modern Family.

Anyone knows what caused this? Is it the rec. or something else?

Thanks

Hey SonnyC--

I set up a 509 for a friend of mine a week ago and she immediately started having the same problem as you. Googling reveals this is a glitch caused by DirectTV converting MPEG2 they are being supplied to MPEG4. Lots of ranting about it in the forums, including on DirecTV's own site. Here's a paste from there with a link:

I have 2 HR24 receivers, one is on a denon AV receiver, the other on a onkyo.

both setups periodically we'll get audio dropouts about every 5 seconds for a second or two, seems most common on discovery, history, and the travel channel, all HD.

I'm about one more dropout away from leaving directv after 10 years for cable, I can't take it anymore.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...talPageId=1002

Btw, the comments to that forum post are uniformed. Turning DD on in the DirecTV receiver CAUSES the problem. You can stop the drop outs by turning it off and going to PCM, but then you're only getting 2-channel stereo and the simulated surround your Onkyo can interpolate from that. In addition, many other posts mention that DirecTV always blames the audio drop-outs on a faulty DirecTV receiver, but swapping it out does not solve the problem.
post #1423 of 3864 Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just just received my refurb 509 from shoponk. Replaced my Denon 791 in the great room. Very impressed with this receiver even though it does not upconvert and is strictly 5.1. Sounds every bit as good with my Boston speakers and I will finally eliminate the IR issues I have been fighting between my 3311 in the theater and the 791 in the GR.

The 509 is amazing considering I only paid $160 shipped for it.

Best Regards,

JD
post #1424 of 3864 Old 10-15-2011, 07:50 AM

My brother and I each have 609s and white MacBooks. Using the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter, we are hooking these computers up to the PC Input on the 609. This is then being output to our TVs via HDMI, but neither of us can get a picture on the TV. The manual doesn't say much on the topic except noting that HDMI input for PC needs to be set to -----. Has anybody gotten this setup to work? If it matters, I have a Sony KDS-60A3000 and he has a newer Samsung 55" LED.
post #1425 of 3864 Old 10-15-2011, 02:11 PM

Anyone using it with a 609? If so, are you able to use the Onkyo remote or do you have to use Apple's?
post #1426 of 3864 Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 AM

Liked: 13
Everytime I pop in a bluray on bd-dvd, the receiver keeps displaying bd/dvd play in the corner when each trailer is playing, when the movie menu comes up, when I click play again, etc. It sort "clicks" each time as well. Is this normal? Shouldn't it just show bd/dvd once when you first click in to it? I must have an auto setting on or something.
post #1427 of 3864 Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myron243 View Post

Guess I should have visited here prior to ordering mine from Amazon. Oh well, $484 with free 2 day and no Texas sales tax. Plus Amazon has a 30 day price match so I'll keep a close watch for a day or so It got here yesterday. I am very happy with it. I got it so I could move the 608 upstairs with a new TV coming this week. I have several hours listening to Pandora but right now I'm listening to Cool Blue FM 96.1 on your radio dial from right there in Auckland, New Zealand via vTuner which is new to me but it really has about a bazillion stations from around the world covering every genre and sub-genre you can imagine.

And I too am using the video upconvert to 1080p for my Dish stuff. Never looked better.

Not anymore. But sometimes if you call them to get a Price Adjustment, they will honor it.
post #1428 of 3864 Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide on what to get ( 609 $379 or 709 $540). I just got the jamos426 with the jamo sub210. I will be running a 7.1 setup and use my 2 rear kenwoods as a surround back (from my HTIB 6.1 setup). My couch is 10-12 ft away from the TV.

Is multiEQ worth the extra $$ over the 2EQ? Can I set this up manually? Also, I'd like to connect to my PC (wirelessly) to stream movies/music and I believe my blu-ray player does this, do I still have to invest on the USB dongle?

I will not be running zone 2. This is mainly for the living room. The xbox, Ps3, lgbd570 will be connected via HDMI and my Wii will be connected via component cables. I'm using a Samsung LNT4671F LCD.

I appreciate your help!
post #1429 of 3864 Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Hey SonnyC--

I set up a 509 for a friend of mine a week ago and she immediately started having the same problem as you. Googling reveals this is a glitch caused by DirectTV converting MPEG2 they are being supplied to MPEG4. Lots of ranting about it in the forums, including on DirecTV's own site. Here's a paste from there with a link:

I have 2 HR24 receivers, one is on a denon AV receiver, the other on a onkyo.

both setups periodically we'll get audio dropouts about every 5 seconds for a second or two, seems most common on discovery, history, and the travel channel, all HD.

I'm about one more dropout away from leaving directv after 10 years for cable, I can't take it anymore.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...talPageId=1002

Btw, the comments to that forum post are uniformed. Turning DD on in the DirecTV receiver CAUSES the problem. You can stop the drop outs by turning it off and going to PCM, but then you're only getting 2-channel stereo and the simulated surround your Onkyo can interpolate from that. In addition, many other posts mention that DirecTV always blames the audio drop-outs on a faulty DirecTV receiver, but swapping it out does not solve the problem.

Thanks Goes to 11...it looks like a very wide spread problem with DirecTV. I will change it to PCM tonight and see. Prior to the receiver, I was using components cables with the old RPTV and didn't notice it. My other HD DVR connecting to a Samsung LCD via HDMI doesn't have drop out either.
post #1430 of 3864 Old 10-18-2011, 12:10 AM

I posted on another thread that I was considering the TX-NR609 as an upgrade for my current TX-SR-705 (I am looking for more HDMI inputs and some of the newer networking features). My setup isn't that crazy - some pretty basic in-wall 5.1 speakers and a PS3, 360, and TIVO HD all connecting to the receiver. Video is running to a Panasonic 58" plasma. Anyway, I got a couple responses, and after discussing it with a friend, decided to pull the trigger.

Then someone posted that the 609 is a step down in audio quality from the 705. I'm no expert, but on paper, they seem very, very similar. The only difference I can gather is that the 705 has MultiEQ and the 609 only has 2EQ. Honestly, I've never run through the full MultiEQ on my current setup, so I seriously question whether I'll be missing anything.

My question is this - will I really be "stepping down" in terms of audio quality? I was hoping I'd be able to get something that sounds BETTER than what I have now, not worse.

Your advice is appreciated.
post #1431 of 3864 Old 10-18-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden72 View Post

Hi,
Before you totaly unpluged the system, Can you try listening a DTS matter with this installation (with Audyssey and Dynamic EQ)?
I think this hiss appear with Dolby Digital stream.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. The hiss does not appear to be dependent upon the type of audio and DTS streams are not immune.

My wife was watching the Sound of Music on Blu-ray which has a DTS-HD Master Audio track and the hiss was very apparent. The hiss will be there even if there is no audio being fed to the receiver such as if I select an input from a powered off gaming console.

Strange thing is I don't recall hearing the hiss the few times I was able to audition the system previously with some other movies (Transformers, Heat). (I usually have to use a set of wireless headphones hooked up to Zone 2 since our 2 year old's room is right next to the fun room.) I'll need to run some more experiments.
post #1432 of 3864 Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhander View Post

Everytime I pop in a bluray on bd-dvd, the receiver keeps displaying bd/dvd play in the corner when each trailer is playing, when the movie menu comes up, when I click play again, etc. It sort "clicks" each time as well. Is this normal? Shouldn't it just show bd/dvd once when you first click in to it? I must have an auto setting on or something.

Set your listening presets to anything but last valid. And, Preferably set BD/DVD to straight direct or straight decode (I forget which one it says). This will eliminate the clicking. Not sure about the BD/DVD logo.
post #1433 of 3864 Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 AM

OK I'm not a tech head so problems are probably my fault

I have the following

LG PZ950 plasma

Onkyo 609

Energy classic 5.1

Oppo blu ray

Wired all the speakers in last night, test using the mic worked perfectly well

HDMI connection between the blu ray and onkyo worked great, played "Source code" and the sound was wonderful

Then, the TV was connected to the Onkyo "HDMI OUT" as shown in the Onkyo manual. Selected TV source on the input selection on the TV but we were unable to get sound through the receiver for the TV. We only have a comcast connection via the internet for our TV signal

I'm unable to access the set-up on the remote of the Onkyo. According to the manual, I need to press receiver and then set up, but that either turns off the remote or the screen is left blank. I have been trying to access the ARc function but to no avail

When I go to the TV input, I can access TV, DNLA or HDMI 1. Anyone any ideas as to how I can get sound from my TV to go through ny receiver?

Thanks
post #1434 of 3864 Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There are a couple of requirements in order for ARC (Audio Return Channel or audio over the HDMI cable interface) to work. You have to make sure the TV supports ARC and also make sure the HDMI cable is plugged into the port on the TV that supports it. On my Samsung and Toshiba LCD's only 1 HDMI port supports ARC.

Next the Onkyo receiver needs to be setup to support ARC as well. In the HDMI setup menu on the 609 you need to select HDMI Ctrl to "ON". Setting this to on also sets ARC to auto mode and the receiver will automatically switch the audio from the TV.

Another option is to just connect the digital audio out of your TV to the digital audio input (labelled TV) on the back of the receiver. This accomplishes the same thing as using ARC but adds another cable connection.

Hope this helps,
JD
post #1435 of 3864 Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper87 View Post

OK I'm not a tech head so problems are probably my fault

I have the following

LG PZ950 plasma

Onkyo 609

Energy classic 5.1

Oppo blu ray

Wired all the speakers in last night, test using the mic worked perfectly well

HDMI connection between the blu ray and onkyo worked great, played "Source code" and the sound was wonderful

Then, the TV was connected to the Onkyo "HDMI OUT" as shown in the Onkyo manual. Selected TV source on the input selection on the TV but we were unable to get sound through the receiver for the TV. We only have a comcast connection via the internet for our TV signal

I'm unable to access the set-up on the remote of the Onkyo. According to the manual, I need to press receiver and then set up, but that either turns off the remote or the screen is left blank. I have been trying to access the ARc function but to no avail

When I go to the TV input, I can access TV, DNLA or HDMI 1. Anyone any ideas as to how I can get sound from my TV to go through ny receiver?

Thanks

Unless you have a dvr in the mix, you would need something going "into" the receiver from the TV in order to get sound via the receiver. ie; Optical, component, etc...
post #1436 of 3864 Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Unless you have a dvr in the mix, you would need something going "into" the receiver from the TV in order to get sound via the receiver. ie; Optical, component, etc...

That's what i was thinking at first

But looking at page 17 of the manual, I could use the ARc function to get sound via the HDMI output.

Any idea what sort of component i could use other than thie ARc method just to simplify things
post #1437 of 3864 Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdskycaster View Post

There are a couple of requirements in order for ARC (Audio Return Channel or audio over the HDMI cable interface) to work. You have to make sure the TV supports ARC and also make sure the HDMI cable is plugged into the port on the TV that supports it. On my Samsung and Toshiba LCD's only 1 HDMI port supports ARC.

Next the Onkyo receiver needs to be setup to support ARC as well. In the HDMI setup menu on the 609 you need to select HDMI Ctrl to "ON". Setting this to on also sets ARC to auto mode and the receiver will automatically switch the audio from the TV.

Another option is to just connect the digital audio out of your TV to the digital audio input (labelled TV) on the back of the receiver. This accomplishes the same thing as using ARC but adds another cable connection.

Hope this helps,
JD

Thanks, I'll try that
post #1438 of 3864 Old 10-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper87 View Post

Thanks, I'll try that

Crimper, according to LG, HDMI port 1 supports ARC, but you have to go into the PZ950's audio menu to turn ARC on.

Btw, one advantage to using ARC would be the Onkyo's (supposed) ability to use it to auto-correct audio/video sync problems. I haven't tried that feature, so I don't know how well it works.
post #1439 of 3864 Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Hi guys, I am new here.

I recently bought a New 609 which I am very happy with with one exception the front panel. The OnkyoUSA site says it is "Solid Aluminum Front" However on my 609 it is clearly 100% Solid Plastic.

Have I misunderstood what "Solid Aluminum Front" means or have I been burned by Newegg (their support told me it was a retail model too)?
post #1440 of 3864 Old 10-20-2011, 04:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarjar View Post

Have a TX-NR609 about a month old and the unit suddenly won't pass video out to the the TV. I'm getting video and audio in from both the satellite and the Panny BR player (audio works through the 5.1 just fine from both), but no video to TV. And yes, I double checked to make sure the HDMI cables are hooked up correctly at receiver and TV. Any kind of hard reset, or anything else I can try before I send it back for replacement or repair?

BTW, did a search and found some issues with no audio pass-thru, but only one intermittent problem with no video pass-thru.... then again, maybe I just missed it somewhere.

Frys has agreed to exhange the 609 since it will not pass HDMI out of the receiver no matter what I've tried. To do this I had to order a new 609 from their on-line store with shipping to one of their stores using a credit card (which allegedly will not actually be charged). I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I show up at the store to exchange it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page