Forum Jump: 

post #2041 of 3864 Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

So, cycling through the preset modes, the only options you have are the ones listed above? Is your Blu-ray player set to send over the audio already decoded, or is it set to send over raw audio and let your 509 decode it?

Yes, when I cycle through, those are my only choices, be it by hitting the button on the remote or by toggling through going to the Listening Mode section by hitting Receiver>Home

I literally just plugged the blu ray in to the 509...didn't alter any settings on the Blu Ray when I did this (and the Blu Ray previously played straight into my TV via HDMI)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 3864 Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

Are you selecting your Listening Modes with the "Movies" button on the RC? I suggest you use the Display Info button to reveal the incoming Audio as the AVR sees it. Particularly when you have the issue.

With the Inception blu ray, on the top menu the audio is DolbyD Surr 2.0

When I play something, it is DTS HDMSTR 5.1

I have not yet gotten it to cut off but am trying to replicate to see what kind of audio it is pushing.

EDIT - Just went to play movie from the beginning and no audio. I hit "DISPLAY" and it would not display anything. I shut down the receiver and restarted it. Audio kicked in and now shows DTS HDMSTR 5.1
post #2043 of 3864 Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Check your BD player audio settings ... set audio output as bitstream with secondary audio turned off.

Audio Output was already bitstream
I just turned off secondary audio per your instruction.
post #2044 of 3864 Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowBob View Post

I have a strange problem with my 609. If I hook it up to my Panny plasma (TH-C50FD18) via HDMI, it will cause the Panny to flash the red light 10 times. I have to unplug the Panny and unplug the hdmi from the 609 to get the Panny to work again. If I plug in my DTV hdmi, the Panny will turn on without problem.

This only happens when the 609 is plugged in. I've tested on every hdmi input on the Panny and the same problem occurs. I've also flashed the 609 with latest firmware.

I've ordered new high speed hdmi cables hoping this is the problem.

Anyone ever experienced this? Is there a compatibility issue with the new hdmi ver of 609 against the older Panny hdmi? This is a brand new 609 from Newegg.

Well, after reading a bit it seems we require a hdmi equalizer extender/repeater to work with Panny plasmas. Good thing they're only about $20.
post #2045 of 3864 Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 PM

I'm trying to get the remote that came with my TX-NR509 (RC-801M) to control my Dish Network ViP722 DVR. I've tried the code in the book (00775) with no success. I've got it connnected via HDMI to the CBL/SAT input and am using that button on the remote.

Any Help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #2046 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CochinoFilipino View Post

I'm trying to get the remote that came with my TX-NR509 (RC-801M) to control my Dish Network ViP722 DVR. I've tried the code in the book (00775) with no success. I've got it connnected via HDMI to the CBL/SAT input and am using that button on the remote.

On the remote, you have hit the CBL/SAT button first to make sure the remote is in the proper mode? Also, are there other codes you can try?

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #2047 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by siznimper View Post

With the Inception blu ray, on the top menu the audio is DolbyD Surr 2.0

When I play something, it is DTS HDMSTR 5.1

I have not yet gotten it to cut off but am trying to replicate to see what kind of audio it is pushing.

EDIT - Just went to play movie from the beginning and no audio. I hit "DISPLAY" and it would not display anything. I shut down the receiver and restarted it. Audio kicked in and now shows DTS HDMSTR 5.1

I wouldn't worry about top menu playing a different audio format. That is what some discs do, non-HD audio for menus, HD audio for movie. And to confirm, you are setting listening modes within the setup menu, and not the remote button?
post #2048 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about top menu playing a different audio format. That is what some discs do, non-HD audio for menus, HD audio for movie. And to confirm, you are setting listening modes within the setup menu, and not the remote button?

Correct - I have set both ways (remote and in the setup menu) and in both cases the options are the same.
post #2049 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 AM

Hello everyone! This will be my first post here, bear with me. So, problem:

I recently bought an NR-609, and it works as it should (except the problem soon described). Apple TV plays, Wii runs, connecting computer via HDMI AUX works, cable box works. Setup menu does not. When I press the setup button on the remote I can see the main menu (the one with the input assign, etc.. I'm sure you know...). But when I try to navigate deeper into the menu, e.g. to the input assignment, the picture freezes.

I can still see the menu choices on the receiver display, but nothing is happening on screen. I can't even get back to whatever-I-was-watching, I need to turn off the receiver and put it back on to get picture again. And if I try the setup button again, same thing.

(I learned about the problem when I did the Audyssey-mic-setup-speaker-thing, actually. After the "tones" where done, the picture froze. I couldn't move on to the result and whatever comes next.)

Tried factory reset, video processor(?)-reset, no success.

Google couldn't help me, so I fear this problem is not a widely known one?

If anyone here have some clues as to what is going on, I'd greatly appreciate if you could enlighten me. Thanks!
post #2050 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerosJ View Post

I recently bought an NR-609, and it works as it should (except the problem soon described). Apple TV plays, Wii runs, connecting computer via HDMI AUX works, cable box works. Setup menu does not. When I press the setup button on the remote I can see the main menu (the one with the input assign, etc.. I'm sure you know...). But when I try to navigate deeper into the menu, e.g. to the input assignment, the picture freezes.

I can still see the menu choices on the receiver display, but nothing is happening on screen. I can't even get back to whatever-I-was-watching, I need to turn off the receiver and put it back on to get picture again. And if I try the setup button again, same thing.

(I learned about the problem when I did the Audyssey-mic-setup-speaker-thing, actually. After the "tones" where done, the picture froze. I couldn't move on to the result and whatever comes next.)

If anyone here have some clues as to what is going on, I'd greatly appreciate if you could enlighten me. Thanks!

I suspect the on screen menus is outputting a format your tv can not handle. Is your tv able to receive a 1080p signal? perhaps handshaking capability not working correctly for menus.

You may need to work on I/O assign Monitor Output settings. But before I waffle on, you should confirm........
post #2051 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Possibly try a new HDMI cable?
post #2052 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siznimper View Post

Correct - I have set both ways (remote and in the setup menu) and in both cases the options are the same.

I will take a screen shot of my setup, and post it on Tuesday. Have you compare to what yours looks like.
post #2053 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

On the remote, you have hit the CBL/SAT button first to make sure the remote is in the proper mode? Also, are there other codes you can try?

Understood, I have the TV and BD player programmed and functioning. The DVR is the only one I can't program. There is only one code listed for Dish. I've tried the Echostar code but it didn't work either.

Anyone got their Onkyo remote controlling a Dish ViP722 DVR?
post #2054 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I suspect the on screen menus is outputting a format your tv can not handle. Is your tv able to receive a 1080p signal? perhaps handshaking capability not working correctly for menus.

You may need to work on I/O assign Monitor Output settings. But before I waffle on, you should confirm........

So the menus are a completely separate thing, not just "on top of picture" and shown at whatever resolution currently outputted?

The output hdmi goes to a projector, 720p tops. Do waffle on, please.

EDIT: I tried, via the receiver display, to change the output to only 720p. No difference, still freezes.

Quote:

Possibly try a new HDMI cable?

It's strange though that everything else works, except when the menu comes on...

Thanks for your responses!
post #2055 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the menus are a completely separate thing, not just "on top of picture" and shown at whatever resolution currently outputted?

EDIT: I tried, via the receiver display, to change the output to only 720p. No difference, still freezes.

It's strange though that everything else works, except when the menu comes on...

I have seen stranger things resolved with just a switch of a cable.
post #2056 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 AM

I'm kind of a newbie. My old receiver only had one sub pre-out. I just got a 609 which, of course, has two. So do I just run a cable from one pre-out to the LFE input on my sub, and not use the other one? Does it matter which one I use?
post #2057 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:

Was the previous setting Auto? You could try the Through, and see if that helps. Also one of the "i" outputs too.

Else a new cable........
post #2058 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU23 View Post

So do I just run a cable from one pre-out to the LFE input on my sub, and not use the other one? Does it matter which one I use?

Hi CU23, yes and it doesn't matter.
post #2059 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochinoFilipino View Post

Understood, I have the TV and BD player programmed and functioning. The DVR is the only one I can't program. There is only one code listed for Dish. I've tried the Echostar code but it didn't work either.

Anyone got their Onkyo remote controlling a Dish ViP722 DVR?

Try programming the VCR/DVR button instead of cable/sat. That was the trick for my DirecTV box.

Samsung PN60F8500
Marantz AV7005
Rotel RMB1075
DirecTV HR22-100
Oppo BDP83
B&W CDM CNT
B&W CDM 9NT
B&W DS6
Velodyne SPL-12
post #2060 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Anyone know how to set the receiver into Straight Mode? i know how get it into direct mode but can't figure our straight mode. I have the NR609

Any help would be great.

Eric
post #2061 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 03:34 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by death292 View Post

Anyone know how to set the receiver into Straight Mode? i know how get it into direct mode but can't figure our straight mode. I have the NR609

Any help would be great.

Eric

What is "Straight Mode"? Can't find this in the manual. Do you mean a video mode which brings the video signal straight through and direct without alteration?
post #2062 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Was the previous setting Auto? You could try the Through, and see if that helps. Also one of the "i" outputs too.

Else a new cable........

Yeah, auto. I'll give 'Through' and the i-settings a shot tomorrow (I haz Europe time). If that fails I'll try another cable.

Still a bit chocked that the cable could be the culprit.
post #2063 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:

What is "Straight Mode"? Can't find this in the manual. Do you mean a video mode which brings the video signal straight through and direct without alteration?

Some correct me if this isn't right. Straight mode is basically playing whatever the source offers, and not having to play around with listening modes to find the best mode for the type of movie or gaming etc. Hope that made sense lol.

My old Yamaha HTR-6140 had a direct mode button, and a Straight mode button on it.
post #2064 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedarts View Post

Try programming the VCR/DVR button instead of cable/sat. That was the trick for my DirecTV box.

I tried programming the VCR/DVR button before without actually moving the hdmi over to the actual input. Now I moved over and tried again. No dice. Thanks for the input though.
post #2065 of 3864 Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by death292 View Post

Some correct me if this isn't right. Straight mode is basically playing whatever the source offers, and not having to play around with listening modes to find the best mode for the type of movie or gaming etc. Hope that made sense lol.

My old Yamaha HTR-6140 had a direct mode button, and a Straight mode button on it.

This AVR has both Listening Modes (Audio) and Picture Modes (Video), which both can have varying degrees of "Straight".

For Music, the Pure Listening Mode is with no amp processing, and even has video and the display circuits turned off. Direct is similar, with Stereo using Audyssey room correction (Music is a EQ profile applied, and is Flat).

For Video, there are two types of Processing
Upscaling - set within Input/Output Assign>Monitor Output> Resolution. This has a Through option.
Picture Mode - set within Source Setp > Picture Adjust > which has both Through AND Direct.

But, I suspect you may be referring to Listening Mode Presets on p55, see attached.

"Straight" is not terminology used with 609, but hopefully the above is helpful.
LL
post #2066 of 3864 Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Have you updated the firmware? An earlier update fixed some video issues. You may need to use the receiver's display to go through the menus.
Also, you have you tried the component or composite outputs to the TV? Disconnect the HDMI cable when you try. It's not for permanent use, but could help narrow down if the receiver's graphics are locking up, or if it's something with the TV.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #2067 of 3864 Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the heat, but I heard you can check the temperature of the AVR by
- press and hold down "Display" button
- then press "On/Standby" button
- release both buttons
- then press "Tone" button

If KTrainHurricane has so little breathing-room for the AVR that he is worried about heat build-up during stand-by, isn't actually USING it going to fry it?
post #2068 of 3864 Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
Beside the intellivolume, is there any other setting that helps increasing the volume? I've just bought a speaker set at the same time with the TX-NR609. Will the speakers (hopefully) be louder after break in time?

How can we fix the lip sync issue by adjusting AV Sync if playing back different movies yields different A/V delay time?

Thanks for any advice!
post #2069 of 3864 Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

If KTrainHurricane has so little breathing-room for the AVR that he is worried about heat build-up during stand-by, isn't actually USING it going to fry it?

He has a tool to get the Temperature of his unit, in true Standby, Standby (with Net or HDMI through enabled), normal usage and high volume usage.

If the Temperature gets very hot, and his fans come on, and the Temperature does not drop, then he should be concerned.

But I standby that I would not be worried. :-)

If you have same AVR perhaps you could start off by posting your temperatures for the conditions above.
post #2070 of 3864 Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

Beside the intellivolume, is there any other setting that helps increasing the volume? I've just bought a speaker set at the same time with the TX-NR609. Will the speakers (hopefully) be louder after break in time?

How can we fix the lip sync issue by adjusting AV Sync if playing back different movies yields different A/V delay time?

Thanks for any advice!

Breaking in speakers doesn't make them louder. Is your problem that dialog seems too quiet in relation to effects like explosions? If so, try using one of the "late night" settings to compress the relative volume range. Or is the problem that you just aren't getting "ear-bleed" volume levels? (Which I don't recommend, despite my name, because of the effects I suffer from too many years of loud live music.) If this is the problem, two possible causes. One, you have your speakers wired out-of-phase, which can make certain frequencies cancel out; or two, you have some very power-sucking speakers on your hands. A third possibility is a stray shorted strand of speaker wire, but this usually also causes some distortion.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page